Songs that are creepy/disturbing but are overlooked because they are catchy, etc

Started by Inari, August 25, 2016, 09:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inari

Trigger warning: This thread will talk about rape, murder, suicide and other various subjects that some individuals may find upsetting. If you are sensitive to such subjects then proceed with caution or leave the thread. You have been warned.

This thread is inspired by a thread on reddit that my SO was reading off to me last night and I figured it would be worth discussing on here too.

Which songs are creepy/disturbing in nature but overlooked because they are cheerful, catchy or because people just don't look into the meaning or pay attention to the lyrics?

I'll start off by pointing out a recent big hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkElfR_NPBI

Catchy and cheerful in nature but the lyrics are far far sinister in nature:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
All the girls on the block knocking at my door
Wanna know what it is make the boys want more

Is your lover playing on your side?
Said he loves you
But he ain't got time
Here's the answer
Come and get it
At a knocked down price

Hey

Full of honey
Just to make him sweet
Crystal balling
Just to help him see
What he's been missing
So come and get it
While you've still got time

Hey

Get your boy on his knees
And repeat after me, say

Take a sip of my secret potion
I'll make you fall in love
For a spell that can't be broken
One drop should be enough
Boy, you belong to me
I got the recipe
And it's called black magic
(And it's called black magic)

One taste and you'll be mine
It's a spell that can't be broken
It'll keep you up all night
Boy, you belong to me
I got the recipe

If you're lookin' for Mister Right
Need that magic
To change him over night
Here's the answer
Come and get it
While you've still got time

Get your boy on his knees
And repeat after me, say

Boy, you belong to me
I got the recipe

Boy, you belong to me
I got the recipe

All the girls on the block knockin' at my door
(I got the recipe)
(Now you belong to me)

All the girls on the block knockin' at my door
(I got the recipe)
(Now you belong to me)

Take a sip from my secret potion
Boy, you belong to me (hey)
I got the recipe
And it's called, and it's called, and it's called black magic

Boy, you belong to me
I got the recipe

Falling in love (hey)
Falling in love (hey)
Falling in love (hey)
Falling in love (hey)
Falling in love (hey)
Falling in love (hey)
Falling in love (hey)
Falling in love (hey)

Magic

While the band members claim it is about gaining confidence to go after that guy you like (which could be true...) it is pretty much clear that is about date rape.

Avis habilis

Well, the obvious one is "Every Breath You Take", which even Sting has said is about a stalker obsessed with someone who wants nothing to do with him, yet ends up getting played at every single damn wedding reception.

Inari

I noticed that as well. I remember him also saying he wrote it when he and his wife were going through a divorce.

Inkidu

I find a lot of Adele's songs passive-aggressive and creepy. "Hello" comes to mind.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inari

I would say Taylor Swift is a worse offender than her but I see where you are coming from.

Valerian

There was controversy recently over the song "Pumped Up Kicks" by a group called Foster the People.  Light, catchy, upbeat music, paired with words like these:

Lyrics
Robert's got a quick hand.
He'll look around the room,
he wont tell you his plan.
He's got a rolled cigarette
hanging out his mouth.
He's a cowboy kid.

Yeah! He found a six-shooter gun
in his dad's closet, with the box of fun things.
I don't even know what,
but he's coming for you. Yeah, He's coming for you!

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, outrun my gun.
You better run, better run, faster than my bullet.

Daddy works a long day.
He be coming home late, and he's coming home late.
And he's bringing me a surprise.
'cause dinner's in the kitchen and it's packed in ice

I've waited for a long time.
Yeah the sleight of my hand is now a quick-pull trigger.
I reason with my cigarette,
Then say, "Your hair's on fire, you must have lost your wits, yeah?"

The song caused an uproar because of the way it glamorizes school shootings, though a quick search didn't turn up any statement from the group beyond the songwriter saying that he wrote it because he was concerned over school shootings and was trying to get into the head of a fictional perpetrator.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

AmberStarfire

There are a few I can think of that are a bit creepy, but I can't remember their names. This one is more overtly creepy (but an odd mix of romantic and creepy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDpnjE1LUvE

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Nico

Oniya

Do they have to be popular, or would you count happy, bouncy songs about death by a prolific, big-stage songwriter?  I give you Glen Burtnik, the man responsible for 'Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough'.

Glen joined the Styx lineup and did lead vocals and guitar for this song.  This is his solo version because it sounded better than the concert footage.[trigger warning, suicide]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sc8WYEhoz0

He often plays with a group of artists in Jersey - sort of a 'pickup band'.    Sound quality on this one isn't the greatest (club recording) but it was the only version I could find on the Tubes of You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYq9xSHFB3Q

The 'bridge'

Some say it was the booze
Some say it was the drugs
Some say it was a pimp to blame
Some say that it was love

I say sometimes the devil
Cannot be stopped
And although the girl was beautiful
The end was not

He's also done a number of solo albums. These two are from his solo 'Palookaville'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WObnvE8loWs&index=2&list=PL1bqPczqIkRBxyj4m1nr_NUgsJTzBVsUL
(This one got some traction with Randy Travis - while not as dark as the others, the implications of the last verse are a little suggestive)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ffkOgc7aE&list=PL1bqPczqIkRBxyj4m1nr_NUgsJTzBVsUL&index=12
(Not sure of the method, but Johnny's homecoming isn't all that you'd expect.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HannibalBarca

Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind.  Infectiously peppy, but about the descent into addiction to meth.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

gaggedLouise

"Down Down" by Status Quo was a massive hit for them and one of their signature songs, but the lyrics seem to be about a vengeful bastard slamming his faithless or independent-minded girlfriend and promising to take her down, in body and in spirit: "I can see you're laughing, and you're laughing at me/ I can take it all from you (---) again again again again again again again /Deeper and down, get down, deeper and down..."- I think the band were quite aware of the rough lyrics, they work quite fine as an ironic put-down of the brutal role character and some other of their songs are remarakably nuanced about macho attitudes, about growing up. But I doubt most of their fans noticed how nasty the guy in the song is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1gYJDQXPOk

"Bad Bad Boy" with Scots hard rockers Nazareth would be from around the same time, and it tells of a really mean guy, but the song is so cheeky about the rambling adventures of this playboy that you can't help smiling. Brilliant vocal delivery by Dan McCafferty with lines like:

Well I made my first kill
With the old town girl
She was the apple of her daddy's eye
Well that woman looked up at me
And I said honey we'll be
Together 'till the day I die -
BUT I LIED!
I'm a bad, bad, boy
and I'm gonna steal your love...

and a funky series of rises in key towards the end of the track as he sirens out "I'm a bad, bad.bad... (12 times!) boy" again and again. Outstanding bass hook too. The lyrics are super naughty but not that serious - the opposite of "Down Down". :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU14_6Ekq9g

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Inari

Sorry I didn't clarify:

It doesn't matter if the song is popular or not. If the song exists then feel free to post it up.

Loving these submissions so far.

gaggedLouise

Leonard Cohen's First We Take Manhattan would belong here, except no one can say it's got an upbeat atmosphere. Broody, troubling, enigmatic lyrics and a droning tune - I love both Cohen's own take and that of Jennifer Warnes (she actually did it first, having been gifted the song by Cohen).

Oniya

This is one that I've only recently realized how creepy it is [trigger - attempted suicide?]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ0Qmohp5No

At first it sounds like a slightly nostalgic ballad, until you realize how 'Sandra's' troubles are kind of hand-waved and rationalized, and you wonder if it was really 'quite by mistake.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

The Day Before You Came was the last song ABBA recorded before they parted ways in 1982, and their next-to-last single. Agnetha is going through a detailed list of recollections of what she did, or what she thinks she must have done, most of it everyday stuff, on the random day "before you came". What happened the next day is never stated: did the girl in the song meet the love of her life or was something disastrous about to happen? The song comes out both wistful and dark, perhaps mournful, adding to the mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HnOFwqpLRQ

Beorning

Quote from: gaggedLouise on August 26, 2016, 12:05:42 AM
Leonard Cohen's First We Take Manhattan would belong here, except no one can say it's got an upbeat atmosphere. Broody, troubling, enigmatic lyrics and a droning tune - I love both Cohen's own take and that of Jennifer Warnes (she actually did it first, having been gifted the song by Cohen).

What do you think this song is about, Louise? It has puzzled me for years...

Back here, the biggest offender is I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats. It's a song that it's quite often cited by people who don't feel happy about going to work on Mondays - meanwhile, it's actually a song about a Sand Diego school shooting. The explanation is that many people here just don't bother to look up the lyrics and focus on the title.  ::)

RedRose

Warning: French language ;=)

The one that immediately came to mind is about the singer's friend who just died.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/t6FVlfOgTo8

That one about a real boat lost at sea
https://www.youtube.com/embed/XXuXoU0hEuk

Many songs from Mylène Farmer are really creepy but catchy. This one about the Holocaust...
https://www.youtube.com/embed/d8Tz-sBj1qM

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Inari

This one is basically about two countries mistaking red balloons as bombs and them almost starting a war over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La4Dcd1aUcE

Oniya

Quote from: Starcry on August 26, 2016, 02:54:15 PM
This one is basically about two countries mistaking red balloons as bombs and them basically almost starting a war over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La4Dcd1aUcE

Almost?

Neunundneunzig Jahre Kreig
Liessen keinen Platz für Zieger
Kriegsministers gibt's nicht mehr
Und auch keine Dusenflieger

Heute zieht ich meine Runden
Seh' die Welt in Trümmern liegen
Hab 'nen Luftballoon gefunden
Denk' an dich und lass' ihn fliegen.

Translation:
Ninety nine years of war
Leaves no room for victors
War ministers are no more
And also no jet fighters

Today I look at my surroundings
See the world lying in ruins
I have found a balloon
Think about you, and let it fly.

Inari

Whoops. It has been a while since I looked up the lyrics and I wasn't sure if they did or didn't. >.< (That and my SO corrected me as I was about to post it! -strangles him-)

Oniya

Quote from: Starcry on August 26, 2016, 03:21:09 PM
Whoops. It has been a while since I looked up the lyrics and I wasn't sure if they did or didn't. >.< (That and my SO corrected me as I was about to post it! -strangles him-)

It's okay - This one is sort of emblazoned in my brain after my German teacher in college had us translate it to see how different it was from the English version.  Literally typed that from memory.  (Actually kind of embarrassed that I didn't think of posting it myself.  XD)

And since I'm on an 80's kick apparently, this song about drug addiction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvdLovAaYzM (linked because of children in video)

gaggedLouise

Catchy but disturbing song about a fragile girl who has hooked up with a dangerous (and some years older?) psychopath and taken to the road with him. I remember hearing this on the radio in the mid-90s, a great song and cool, effective production. The singer Louise Reny is doing a great job of conveying the danger and self-destructiveness of the bond between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD5O4gdSPro

Oniya

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beorning on August 26, 2016, 01:56:00 PM
What do you think this song is about, Louise? It has puzzled me for years...

There are a few different stories going on side by side in Cohen's song, I think. Stories of vengeance and breaking free, of social breakdown and apocalypse (like in Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower", which borrows some imagery from the prophets of the Old Testament) and perhaps about existing on borrowed time. Some of the lines in that song really seem to relate, presciently, to the breakdown of communist rule in eastern Europe ("You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline" - imagine soldiers facing off with a demonstration by unarmed citizens and no longer feeling able to punch them down) and Cohen released his version just a year before the fall of the Berlin wall, but it was written a few years earlier. Jennifer Warnes' take is from 1986 I think.

Leonard Cohen has a way of being deliberately enigmatic and incomplete in his songs. But the guy is a class act, both as a singer and a lyric poet.

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

gaggedLouise

Marvin Gaye offering a cool uptempo spoof of 50 Shades of Grey , well at least of cliché ideas of D/s. I really like this one for its quirky sense of fun and his way of playing off the tired images of sadistic verbiage (and with a British accent, kind of!) but he would most likely never have released the song in his lifetime, it would have seemed too sensitive. It appeared a year or two after his tragic death.

(Trigger warnings: some language and lots of female moaning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrX7YnjS7m0

Oniya

I swear I do listen to non-creepy stuff...

Martina McBride - Independence Day  Warning - domestic abuse.

and her other DA song, A Broken Wing.

Dammit, this woman... Concrete Angel Warning - child abuse

gaggedLouise

One of the best songs ever relating to domestic abuse (mental or physical) would be Woman in Chains by Tears for Fears with Oleta Adams (and Phil Collins sitting in on drums). Magic, human and dignified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5-c79LQ3aM

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on August 26, 2016, 05:58:02 PM
One of the best songs ever relating to domestic abuse (mental or physical) would be Woman in Chains by Tears for Fears with Oleta Adams (and Phil Collins sitting in on drums). Magic, human and dignified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzkK3ZtI9SU
Not sure why your VEVO link isn't available to me, but between the two of these, one should be available in most countries.

Inari

Neverland - Darren Hayes

A song about a child witnessing his mother being abused by his father and him plotting how to murder him so they can live happily without him.

I find it amazing how much energy he puts into these lyrics:

Take a loaded gun
Take a shot of rum
Take a poison rat
There's a lesson in that

No more closing fist
No more face to hit
No more bloody nose
Or apologetic roses

Full lyrics here: http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858681885/

mia h

Sarah McLachlan - Angel is about a suicide by drug overdose

https://youtu.be/i1GmxMTwUgs

Plumb - Damaged

https://youtu.be/afNZ6gHtBhs

It's not obvious from that trance remix it's about a girl dealing with being abused, but with the original version it's a little more obvious.

The Stranglers - Golden Brown is both a girl and heroin.
https://youtu.be/lkR_HafkYak
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Stella

Ooh, cool topic. I love songs that you listen to and think "oh that's lovely/how nice" and then finally properly hear it ... and you're like ... whut.

Here's some I can think of:

https://youtu.be/Pmj6VqmMVyo?list=PLvocjhic37Trjd8MI28nSOWnOCxFYaWkW
Close your eyes
And think of someone you physically admire
And let me kiss you.

'Run for Your Life' by the Beatles. Incredibly upbeat, incredibly bloody creepy:
Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPsa8MJU_50
I read it was about date rape. He certainly does keep pressuring her to get in the damn car...

Oniya

Speaking of the Beatles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPthowh3CIs

(Sorry - wanted one that the lyrics actually com through on.  Starts at 7:20)

Happiest song about a serial killer ever!

Stella

Happy and prolific! (And damn good at concealing that thing, given he smuggled it into the courtroom, too... >.> )

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on August 28, 2016, 01:19:30 AM
Speaking of the Beatles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPthowh3CIs

(Sorry - wanted one that the lyrics actually com through on.  Starts at 7:20)

Happiest song about a serial killer ever!

Hehe, I remember some pop star singling that one out as "one of about five songs the Beatles wrote and released that don't really work, as far as songwriting goes". Maxwell sounds like a very "funny guy".  :P

mia h

The entire Rumours album by Fleetwood Mac is pretty messed up once you know the backstory of drug use and broken relationships in the band while they were recording it, but the two stand out tracks are :
You Make Loving Fun; written by Christine McVie and wasn't about her band mate and then husband John McVie but the sound engineer she was having an affair with.
Go Your Own Way; written by Lindsay Buckingham as a 'fuck you' to Stevie Nicks after their 8 year relationship ended. The track was a big hit and the band played it at virtually every concert, Stevie Nicks said every night they performed it she wanted to walk across the stage and punch Lindsay.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Oniya

I swear I had a normal childhood.  Really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU5LMG3WFBw

For we who grew up tall and proud
In the shadow of the Mushroom Cloud
Convinced our voices can't be heard
We just wanna scream it louder and louder and louder

What the hell are we fighting for?
Just surrender and it won't hurt at all
You just got time to say your prayers
While you're waiting for the hammer to—hammer to fall.

Oniya

Quote from: Starcry on August 28, 2016, 12:20:20 PM
I loved Queen when I was growing up... ;~;

It's not the Queen song in particular - just the fact that I've got like 7 posts in here already.  XD

Thorne

Anyone mention 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' (Sting) yet? How about 'Every Step You Take'? Bwahg, Sting and the Police wrote some deeply creepy, hugely catchy things.

Also, Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield). Brr!
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Inkidu

Anyone mentioned that "Blurred Lines?" You know that song was insanely popular, then there was the Marvin Gaye controversy and then people actually started listening to it, and you might still here it on the pop stations once a day? XD

Or is that too easy a low hanging fruit?

Oniya

Quote from: Thorne on August 29, 2016, 01:56:01 AM
Anyone mention 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' (Sting) yet? How about 'Every Step You Take'? Bwahg, Sting and the Police wrote some deeply creepy, hugely catchy things.

Also, Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield). Brr!

Speaking of Rick...

What would the children think?

And on the same lines as Jessie's Girl...
My Best Friend's Girl - The Cars

RedRose

DudelRok

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

PerfectPoison

There is a really odd song being used in a soft drink commercial. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but it's "Suit" by Boom! Bap! Pow!

One of the actual lines is "You're so cute I wanna wear you like a suit, cause you'd look pretty good on me."

Avis habilis

Quote from: PerfectPoison on August 31, 2016, 03:49:17 PM
There is a really odd song being used in a soft drink commercial. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but it's "Suit" by Boom! Bap! Pow!

One of the actual lines is "You're so cute I wanna wear you like a suit, cause you'd look pretty good on me."

I had been thinking that was a bit "Silence of the Lambs", yeah.

The Dark Raven

"Vehicle" by the Ides of March.

Marching band staple about a creeper in a black sedan.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

Quote from: The Dark Raven on September 06, 2016, 11:38:44 AM
"Vehicle" by the Ides of March.

Marching band staple about a creeper in a black sedan.

'I'm a wonderful man
And I'll take you to the nearest star...'

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on September 06, 2016, 12:11:46 PM
'I'm a wonderful man
And I'll take you to the nearest star...'

The Bogus Man by Roxy Music is one  of the most striking songs ever about a psycho stalker:

The bogus man is on his way
As fast as he can run
He's tired but he'll get to you
And shoot you with his gun

Focused his mind
On something he cared about
But it came out a shout
Just like before

The bogus man is at your heels
Now clutching at your coat
You must be quick now hurry up
He's scratching at your throat...

- set to a deceptively sly and shady funk/pop groove.

HannibalBarca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSdTa9kaiQ

I was a senior in high school when this came out.  Like most other kids my age, we thought the song was so poignantly sweet, but I realized not too much later how he's saying...I can't live with you--and I can't live without you.  Bam.  Dysfunctional relationship.  Having gone through such a relationship..well...

You give yourself away...and you give yourself away...and you give...and you give...

My hands are tied
My body bruised, she's got me with
Nothing to win and
Nothing left to lose

That plaintive, wailing voice Bono uses is just...crushing.  I could barely listen to this song after high school, it made me long so much for a relationship I didn't have at the time.  Now I can barely listen to it because it brings up emotions from my marriage I'd much rather forget.  Much like Every Breath You Take, really, really twisted relationship stuff.

Annnnnd...while I was typing this, Every Breath You Take was the next song YouTube went to :/

Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Oniya

It's me again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5MtAmT24g

The lyrics talk about living in a violent neighborhood and being unable to afford food.

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Tanken Sai

May the goddess watch over you

Lyron

Young Girl - Gary Puckett & The Union Gap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFVPxBpezk

Disarm - The Smashing Pumpkins

Billy Corgan said he didn't have the guts to kill his parents, so he wrote this song instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1acEVmnVhI

I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned Hungry Like the Wolf yet (or I'm completely blind).

M/M Players for Groups: A Registry

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.
Anyone, any genre, any time.

Oniya

To be honest, I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned 'Don't Fear the Reaper.'

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 24, 2016, 04:50:23 PM
To be honest, I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned 'Don't Fear the Reaper.'
I was coming here to say just that.

Frucking creepy song.

The sun and the rain don't die! They don't have to contemplate their mortality because they're not people.

Lyron

Ha! I had that song vaguely stuck in my head for the past couple of weeks and didn't even think about it.

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

Inari

My SO just told me about one of "The Killers" songs. "Miss Atomic Bomb"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qok9Ialei4c

It a continuation of "Mr Brightside" which basically confirms that she did cheat on him and stuff. It has the same upbeatness to it but it really is sad. :(

For those who aren't familiar with "Mr Brightside"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGdGFtwCNBE

Basically, he suspects his girlfriend is cheating on him but he keeps putting it down to being jealous and such. In the end, their relationship breaks down over it but it is never confirmed if she did cheat or not. 

Thesunmaid

Quote from: Valerian on August 25, 2016, 10:00:57 AM
There was controversy recently over the song "Pumped Up Kicks" by a group called Foster the People.  Light, catchy, upbeat music, paired with words like these:

Lyrics
Robert's got a quick hand.
He'll look around the room,
he wont tell you his plan.
He's got a rolled cigarette
hanging out his mouth.
He's a cowboy kid.

Yeah! He found a six-shooter gun
in his dad's closet, with the box of fun things.
I don't even know what,
but he's coming for you. Yeah, He's coming for you!

Daddy works a long day.
He be coming home late, and he's coming home late.
And he's bringing me a surprise.
'cause dinner's in the kitchen and it's packed in ice

I've waited for a long time.
Yeah the sleight of my hand is now a quick-pull trigger.
I reason with my cigarette,
Then say, "Your hair's on fire, you must have lost your wits, yeah?"

The song caused an uproar because of the way it glamorizes school shootings, though a quick search didn't turn up any statement from the group beyond the songwriter saying that he wrote it because he was concerned over school shootings and was trying to get into the head of a fictional perpetrator.

Thank you! I pointed this out to someone the first time I listened to it..I was like...wait running for bullets...what? And my friend said I was reading too much into it. I was like...I..really don't think i am..

But yeah this song...it is literally a song about a stalker who kills his stalkees boyfriend..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxovPeqNsZ8

Just reading the lyrics..I think its pretty clear these guys need a bit of therapy

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/goodcharlotte/mybloodyvalentine.html
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

RosalindRae

"Baby It's Cold Outside" -- so creepy. Though I've decided that it would be awesomely creep as the headlining song for the musical version of Stephen King's Misery. Seriously. Think about it.

Oniya

Quote from: RosalindRae on September 27, 2016, 11:44:47 PM
"Baby It's Cold Outside" -- so creepy. Though I've decided that it would be awesomely creep as the headlining song for the musical version of Stephen King's Misery. Seriously. Think about it.

'Say, what's in this drink?'

Inkidu

Quote from: RosalindRae on September 27, 2016, 11:44:47 PM
To quote Key (of Key and Peele fame):

"Sounds kinda rape-y..."

I will say after having to listen to it in the store for over a season it's impossible to un-hear it.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on September 28, 2016, 09:51:45 AM
To quote Key (of Key and Peele fame):

"Sounds kinda rape-y..."

I will say after having to listen to it in the store for over a season it's impossible to un-hear it.

Dub-con at the very least.  :D

Inari

Very upbeat song but when I actually listened to words I was like. "Holy shit, that really is depressing..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BwzP1laWkQ

Basically, a guy has been dumped and his friends are trying to get him to move on. They are literally telling him "She is just another girl." It really is sad. :(

RedRose

Translations in link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klc3cISHJ9A

A French version of doctor Jekyll and mister Hyde's story... translation sometimes iffy on slang LOL. Cockroaches should be blues, cannons and crates is beauties and uglies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqC2Zffk_Og

Serge Gainsbourg of course... I wasn't allowed to listen to that one LOL.
Melody Nelson (borderline pedophilia)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIDuE4U_fZg

Bonnie and Clyde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDAuaStv2Kk

Sorry angel  (pushed her to suicide at best - the translation hurts lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsdldTOXWms

Boomerang (post break up madness)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSIYK1Cg9Q4

and of course Lemon Incest is pretty deranged

Aiden

Oniya

I have to say that's the strangest interpretation of Eleanor Rigby I've ever seen in the spoiler.  I'd always interpreted the face 'in a jar by the door' as meaning the 'everything's alright' expression that people who are desperately unhappy will use in public. 

Even so, the song is kind of disturbing - she's picking up the rice after a wedding, and the only person whom she seems to have any contact with (albeit posthumously) is the churchman who buries her.

Aiden

Not sure about other cultures, but it is bad juju, superstition, whatever you want to call it, to pick up rice after a wedding. Something about it is cursed, the rise is supposed to draw all the bad stuff from the newly married.

Oniya

Quote from: Aiden on October 18, 2016, 11:08:26 AM
Not sure about other cultures, but it is bad juju, superstition, whatever you want to call it, to pick up rice after a wedding. Something about it is cursed, the rise is supposed to draw all the bad stuff from the newly married.

Oddly enough, the reason I've heard for the rice-throwing is that it is a wish for prosperity (corn and other grains were used in ancient times).  And someone has to clean up after weddings, so the rice is going to be picked up by that someone.  A few Beatles fan-sites suggested that Eleanor was picking up the rice because it was as close as she ever expected to get to being married.  (Also kind of depressing.)

Funny story - the first time I ever played ER on the piano (Courtesy of 'Great Songs of the Sixties, Vol. 1'), I played it at somewhere around 3/4 speed.  Not quite half speed, but much slower than the original.  If you thought it was haunting before...

gaggedLouise

Yes, very poignant song. I saw a great cover of it on tv at the end of a superb show with blues/soul revue Tedeschi Trucks Band, they're doing it in a much faster, rousing style and with live brass - owes something to Aretha's version of it from the early seventies. Very soulful, there's urgency in it allright but it's not as bleak as the original. TTB also changed the lyrics of the first verse to first-person, "I'm Eleanor Rigby...", giving it a feeling that Eleanor is still fighting her isolation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvqZiVj0r_4

The Dark Raven

I always assumed Eleanor Rigby was severely depressed, possibly in love with the groom, and committed suicide in the church after the wedding party was gone.  Tell me I wasn't a morbid little 10 year old (first time I heard the song).

Pumpkin Seeds

The song that comes to mind for me with this topic is "Pumped up Kicks" by Foster the People.  For a long time they played this song as the song of the summer with a care free attitude and nobody really listening to the lyrics.  Yet the song is about someone about to do a school shooting. 

Warlock

Maroon 5's ''Animals'' played around themes of sexual predation and stalking and music video featuring quite gory scences. Caught some media attention when it was released, with RAINN and other organization like them came out against it.

The Rolling Stone's ''Paint it Black'' deals with depression and death, using colour as a metaphor, hidden behind a jaunty and whimsical tune.

A song which still sends chill down my spine is ''Cats in the Cradle'', the lyrics walking through the relationship of a father and his son and them never quite able to connect or be part of each other's life. First song I learnt to play on the guitar, so it holds a quite special place for me.

Oniya

Quote from: Warlock on October 20, 2016, 06:56:41 AM
The Rolling Stone's ''Paint it Black'' deals with depression and death, using colour as a metaphor, hidden behind a jaunty and whimsical tune.

Y'know, I don't think I've mentioned 'Mother's Little Helper', which was about this stuff

Tanken Sai

May the goddess watch over you

Magali

Harold the Barrel - Genesis really impacted me the first time I heard it...

Here's the lyrics:  (Sorry I could not find a video with them on)

"Harold The Barrel"

[News:]
A well-known Bognor restaurant-owner disappeared
early this morning.
Last seen in a mouse-brown overcoat,
suitably camouflaged,
they saw him catch a train.

[Man-in-the-street:]
"Father of three its disgusting"
"Such a horrible thing to do"
Harold the Barrel cut off his toes and he served them all
for tea
"Can't go far", "He can't go far".
"Hasn't got a leg to stand on"
"He can't go far".

[Man-on-the-spot:]
I'm standing in a doorway on the main square
tension is mounting
There's a restless crowd of angry people

[Man-on-the-council:]
"More than we've ever seen.
- had to tighten up security"

Over to the scene at the town hall
The Lord Mayor's ready to speak

[Lord Mayor:]
"Man of suspicion, you can't last long, the British Public
is on our side"

[British Public:]
"Can't last long", "You can't last long".
"Said you couldn't trust him, his brother was just the same"
"You can't last long".

[Harold:]
If I was many miles from here,
I'd be sailing in an open boat on the sea
Instead I'm on this window ledge,
With the whole world below
Up at the window
Look at the window...

[Mr.Plod:]
"We can help you"

[Plod's Chorus:]
"We can help you"

[Mr. Plod:]
"We're all your friends, if you come on down
and talk to us son"

You must be joking
Take a running jump

The crowd was getting stronger and our Harold
getting weaker;
Forwards, backwards, swaying side to side
Fearing the very worst
They called his mother to the sight
Upon the ledge beside him
His mother made a last request.

[67-yr-old Mrs Barrel:]
"Come off the ledge if your father were alive he'd be very,
very, very upset.
"Just can't jump, you just can't jump"
"Your shirt's all dirty, there's a man here from
the B.B.C."
"You just can't jump"

"We can help you"

[Plod's Chorus:]
"We can help you"

"We're all your friends, if you come on down
and talk to us Harry"

You must be joking.
Take a running jump......

Welcome To That Dark Place In My Mind!

Oniya

On the same lines as that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDbAtWpoA6k

This one is more disturbing if you watch the movie Quadrophenia (based on the album).  It's the final song on the soundtrack, played as 'Jimmy' rides a stolen scooter along the top edge of the Cliffs of Dover
and as Roger hits the final 'rock scream', the background music stops, the scooter goes over the cliff, and we see it smash to the rocks below.

zzy123

Quote from: Warlock on October 20, 2016, 06:56:41 AMThe Rolling Stone's ''Paint it Black'' deals with depression and death, using colour as a metaphor, hidden behind a jaunty and whimsical tune.

I always found the lyrics to Under My Thumb really quite awful! Yeah sure, the subject may not have been a very nice person but it's still pretty harsh.

The Dark Raven

A Day in the Life - The Beatles

https://youtu.be/usNsCeOV4GM

I read the news today, oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph.

He blew his mind out in a car
He didn't notice that the red lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House of Lords.

I saw a film today, oh boy
The English army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
But I just had to look
Having read the book
I'd love to turn you on.

Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.

Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream.

I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
I'd love to turn you on.

Polymorph

Very catchy song and the Icelandic accent is sexy as hell. I remember the band being interviewed and the song is about an old woman who talks to her dead husband.

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/IY8rOSyR5Rw"

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Magali on October 27, 2016, 06:19:10 PM
Harold the Barrel - Genesis really impacted me the first time I heard it...

Mmm. With Peter Gabriel, Genesis did many songs that tell strange or creepy stories - strange tales about madness, weird accidents and stuff, and Peter indulged in some of those outside of the actual songs too (the story of a woman in the subway on the rear cover of Genesis Live). On the same album as "Harold, the Barrel",  The Musical Box is a riveting song, but the story half-buried underneath it is a dark tale of deceit, premature aging and rabid desire between two siblings. The dramatic impact of the music and Gabriel's vocal just pulls you in as a listener though, even before you'd realize what the guy in the lyrics has actually been through (though the story was "spoilered" in a note above the lyrics on the original album).

There are so many details I cherish about the song - the violent, crunching guitar solo (proto-speed metal?), the gentle trio of drums, twelve-string guitar and flute where Collins is playing with mallets and brushes instead of sticks and avoids striking at the points where most drummers would hit the beat, instead creating a dreamlike, flowing spell in the music...the nuances of Peter Gabriel's voice, from wistful pleading to an angry roar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X_3yOUKSOc

fireflights

This is going to date myself, but I haven't been able to listen to this song since it was released at the same time my brother committed suicide and it is about it.... Kix don't close your eyes is the hardest song for me to listen to even to this day and it's been 15 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN9ZRdezYPk

I have taken the oath of the Drake

Livin in MD now.

Not taking anymore one on ones but ones already discussed with the partners.

CopperLily

A song which still sends chill down my spine is ''Cats in the Cradle'', the lyrics walking through the relationship of a father and his son and them never quite able to connect or be part of each other's life. First song I learnt to play on the guitar, so it holds a quite special place for me.

Cats in the Cradle never fails to make me sob - and I'm pretty sure it was heavily influential on how my father approached raising his children.

I don't know if it's overlooked, but the Rolling Stones also did "Under my Thumb" which is...a little bit nonconsenty?

CopperLily

Quote from: Oniya on August 26, 2016, 03:25:10 PM
It's okay - This one is sort of emblazoned in my brain after my German teacher in college had us translate it to see how different it was from the English version.  Literally typed that from memory.

You too eh?

Neithriel

Some of these songs...

I don't think I can listen to them the same.

Usually, I just have the music on as background noise but after taking a look at the actual lyrics on some of these...I think I should pay a bit more attention to what I'm listening to.

My absence is something I am dealing with, and I hope to be back on track Feb 6. There are things that have happened that isn't...exactly what I had planned and I'm working on getting it situated.

Lady Shadow

I don't know about anyone else but "Baby Got Back" always creeped me out. Yes, I know I know, he loves butts we get it, but damn!
Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
Ambition is like a V8 engine.
~Elvis Presley~

greenknight

This is me and mine; my father, and, unfortunately, my son.

Dad got to be around a lot more with my brothers and sister, they are all much younger, and my son's with him 'cause my job doesn't send me to the most kid friendly locales.But damn....

Oh, and NIN's We're in This Together.

I've become impossible  holding on to when
When everything seemed to matter more
The two of us
All used and beaten up
Watching fate as it flow down the path we
Have chose

You and me
We're in this together now
None of them can stop us now
We will make it through somehow
You and me
If the world should break in two
Until the very end of me
Until the very end of you

Awake to the sound as they peel apart the skin
They pick and they pull
Trying to get their fingers in
Well they've got to kill what we've found
Well they've got to hate what we fear
Well they've got to make it go away
Well they've got to make it disappear

The farther I fall I'm beside you
As lost as I get I will find you
The deeper the wound I'm inside you
For ever and ever I'm a part of

You and me
You and me
If the world should break in two
Until the very end of me
Until the very end of you
All that we were is gone we have to hold on
All that we were is gone we have to hold on
When all our hope is gone we have to hold on
All that we were is gone but we can hold on

You and me
You and me
Even after everything
You're the queen and I'm the king
Nothing else means anything
Written by Trent Reznor • Copyright © Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd.

Or maybe No Doubt's "Don't Speak," a biography of a band's breakup.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

RedEve

Fisher Z with Marliese

Which is basically told from the perspective of a creeper stalker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwoNQ9uOF_c

I told them I take photos for this magazine.
They let me in to see you comb your hair.
I watched for signs as I came throught that door.
The anxious eyes that I've been waiting for.
It's no use hoping I'm a dream.
[Chorus:]
Oh Marliese.
The waiting almost brought me to my knees.
Oh Marliese.
You didn't really think I'd leave you in peace.
It's no use crying out ''cause they can't help you now.
You're forced to hear the words I have to say.
I saw your face when I was taken down.
You seemed so pleased, you're not so happy now.
It's your turn to be afraid.
[Chorus]
So where's the smooth composure of the movie star.
You must have played this many times before.
Do I see tears? Well surely that's not true.
Don't kid yourself, it's not worth hurting you.
Bur remember when you try to sleep.
[Chorus]

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Mithlomwen

Apologies if these have already been posted.

Janie's got a gun by Aerosmith. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KytLO2WME

Lyrics
Dum, dum, dum, honey what have you done?
Dum, dum, dum it's the sound of my gun.
Dum, dum, dum, honey what have you done?
Dum, dum, dum it's the sound

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her whole world's come undone
From lookin' straight at the sun
What did her daddy do?
What did he put you through?
They said when Janie was arrested
they found him underneath a train
But man, he had it comin' Now that Janie's got a gun
she ain't never gonna be the same.

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
Now everybody is on the run
Tell me now it's untrue.
What did her daddy do?
He jacked a little bitty baby
The man has got to be insane
They say the spell that he was under the lightning and the
thunder knew that someone had to stop the rain

Run away, run away from the pain yeah, yeah yeah yeah
Run away run away from the pain yeah yeah
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Run away, run away, run, run away

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
What did her daddy do?
It's Janie's last I.O.U.
She had to take him down easy and put a bullet in his brain
She said 'cause nobody believes me. The man was such a sleeze.
He ain't never gonna be the same.

Run away, run away from the pain yeah, yeah
yeah yeah yeah
Run away run away from the pain yeah yeah
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Run away, run away, run, run away

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Everybody is on the run

Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
Because Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
Janie's got a gun

Jeremy by Pearl Jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-AV2Lu_1wM

Lyrics
At home
Drawing pictures
Of mountain tops
With him on top
Lemon yellow sun
Arms raised in a V

Dead lay in pools of maroon below
Daddy didn't give attention
To the fact that mommy didn't care
King Jeremy the wicked
Ruled his world

Jeremy spoke in class today
Clearly I remember
Pickin' on the boy

Seemed a harmless little fuck
But we unleashed a lion
Gnashed his teeth

And bit the recess lady's breast
How could I forget
He hit me with a surprise left
My jaw left hurting

Dropped wide open
Just like the day
Like the day I heard
Daddy didn't give affection

And the boy was something mommy wouldn't wear
King Jeremy the wicked
Ruled his world

Try to forget this,
Try to erase this,
From the blackboard.
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oniya

Facts about those two:

Steve Tyler has a charity called Janie's Fund for the support of child abuse victims.

'Jeremy' was actually based on a real incident.  Eddie Vedder read the article about the suicide, and felt 'the need to take that small article and make something of it—to give that action, to give it reaction, to give it more importance.'  He also said in 1991:  'it's just been recently that I've been talking about the true meaning behind it and I hope no one's offended and believe me, I think of Jeremy when I sing it.' (Source)

Clown without Clothes

"Delilah" Tom Jones.

I saw the light on the night that I passed by her window
I saw the flickering shadow of love on her blind
She was my woman
As she deceived me I watched and went out of my mind
My my my Delilah
Why why why Delilah
I could see, that girl was no good for me
But I was lost like a slave that no man could free
At break of day when that man drove away I was waiting
I crossed the street to her house and she opened the door
She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more
My my my Delilah
Why why why Delilah
So before they come to break down the door
Forgive me Delilah I just couldn't take any more
She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more
My my my Delilah
Why why why Delilah
So before they come to break down the door

"Hey Joe" Jimi Hendrix

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that gun of yours?
Hey Joe, I said where you goin' with that gun in your hand, oh
I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know I caught her messin' 'round with another man
I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know I caught her messin' 'round with another man
And that ain't too cool
Huh, hey Joe, I heard you shot your mamma down
You shot her down now
Hey Joe, I heard you shot your lady down
You shot her down in the ground, yeah
Yeah
Yes, I did, I shot her
You know I caught her messin' round, messin' round town
Yes I did, I shot her
You know I caught my old lady messin' 'round town
And I gave her the gun
And I shot her
Alright
Shoot her one more time again, baby
Yeah
Oh, dig it
Oh, alright
Hey Joe
Where you gonna run to now, where you gonna go?
Hey Joe, I said
Where you gonna run to now, where you gonna go?
I'm goin' way down south
Way down to Mexico way
Alright
I'm goin' way down South
Way down where I can be free
Ain't no one gonna find me
Ain't no hang-man gonna
He ain't gonna put a rope around me
You better believe it right now
I gotta go now
Hey, Joe
You better run on down
Goodbye everybody

"Shot in the dark" Ozzy Osbourne

Out on the street, I'm stalking the night,
I can hear my heavy breathing.
Paid for the kill but it doesn't seem right;
something there I can believe in .

Voices are calling from inside my head.
I can hear them, I can hear them,
vanishing memories of things that were said,
they can't try to hurt me now.

But a shot in the dark, one step away from you.
A shot in the dark, always creeping up on you

Taught by the powers that preach over me
I can hear their empty reason
I wouldn't listen I learnt how to fight
I opened up my mind to treason

But just like the wounded and when it's too late
They'll remember they'll surrender
Never a care for the people who hate
Underestimate me now

But a shot in the dark one step away from you
A shot in the dark not a thing that you can do
A shot in the dark always creeping up on you

But just like the wounded and when it's too late
They'll remember they'll surrender
Never a care for the people who hate
Underestimate me now

But a shot in the dark one step away from you
A shot in the dark not a thing that you can do
A shot in the dark always creeping up on you

"The Butcher and Fast Eddy" Rose Tattoo

It happened in the suburbs north of the river
Where the smokestacks scrape the air
And gangs of short haired boys roam the streets
Get out of there way, 'cause there out to get there share
Now Butcher, he was the leader
Had a reputation for being tough but fair
He knew life was just a gamble
So he lived from day to day without a care
Stick around and I'll tell ya
About Butcher and Fast Eddy
Across the river lived Fast Eddy
He was known to be treacherous, very mean
Even Eddy's sweet young sister out on the streets
Just a girl, barely fifteen
Now Fast Eddy, he led the rival gang
And he claimed he was better...than most
One day I'm gonna fix that Butcher
Always seemed to be this cocky braggart's boast
There's only the quick and the dead
I want to know who's layin' down
Now, I'm gonna win this fight said Eddy
Yeah 'cause I'm gonna take a knife, and I'm gonna take a gun
But Butcher, he told his mates as they gathered 'round
I got two good fists, and you know I never
Never ever ever been afraid of anyone
And it came the night, at last for their meeting
I can't lose said Eddy, 'cause I'm the best
But the cold light of morning found Eddy
His own switchblade knife buried deep in his chest!
Yeah that's it all Oh wow Butcher, and Fast Eddy
Yeah that's it all
And the law never did touch Butcher
And I'm so glad, 'cause I know so well
He was a born with a wild free spirit, and he never
He never was the kind to live locked up in some dirty stinkin' cell
And the kids, they still talk about it
In the back streets and alleyways around town
They still talk about that cold, windy Saturday night
That old Butcher ya know, he put Fast Eddy down

Tamhansen

Obvious one I missed or maybe just passed over.

Blurred lines. Incredibly catchy but hideously date rapey
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Nico

Oniya

Avis habilis

Lilias

The so-called Southern Gothic style flourishes everywhere. I was grateful that Mirel Wagner's album When the Cellar Children See the Light of Day is only 31 minutes long.

No one ever accused Otep of being catchy or cheerful, either, but 'Voyeur' and 'Apex Predator' are... something, even for their standards.

Eddy Grant, on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpMgzWBpu2o
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Stumbled across this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqE6jYfFnE

Steely Dan, Gaslighting Abbie

lyrics

One plush summer you come to me ripe and ready
And bad through and through
With that deep mystical soul synergy pumping steady
Between me and you

Lovin' all the beautiful work we've done cara mia
And it's barely July
If we keep on boppin' until Labor Day
Li'l miz Abbie, bye bye

What will it be some soothing herb tea?
That might be just the thing
Let's say we spike it with Deludin
Or else maybe tonight a hand of solitaire

Flame is the game
The game we call gaslighting Abbie
It's a luscious invention for three
One summer by the sea

With the long weekend that's comin' up fast, let's get busy
There's just too much to do
That black mini looks just like the one she's been missin'
Feels good on you

There's a few items we need in town, allez-vous girl
There's no time to waste
Such as fresh cable and fifteen watt bulbs
Couple dozen, it's a big old place

Let's keep it light, we'll do a Fright night
With blood and everything
Some punky laughter from the kitchen
And then a nice relaxing hand of solitaire

Flame is the game
One summer by the sea

You can choose the music
I'll set up my gear
Later on we'll chill and watch the fireworks from here

How can you knock this mighty spite lock
Check out the work itself
A mix of elegance and function
That 's right, a tweak or two and then she's out of here

Flame is the game
One summer by the sea

Flame is the game
One summer by the sea

RedRose

More for you:

French
abusive man/husband (cheating, isolation, all that jazz)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZIPBqQoY8g

anything Noir Désir (those about social situation in France are quite dark and violent, the main singer killed his girlfriend in 2003 which makes it extra creepy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MERcQ-NH8WE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuB-YSltTgU

violent break up (mention of murder, suicide, terror attack...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxoxqDB0OI

Lilias

The music is pure goth pop bubblegum... and then you listen for the lyrics and you think you've walked into an Asian horror movie.

The Birthday Massacre - Calling
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Aiden

RosalindRae

Baby It's Cold Outside. Besides the obvious, I like pretending it is part of Stephen King's Misery the musical.

James Caan: I really can't stay
Kathy Bates: But baby, it's cold outside
James Caan: I've got to go away
Kathy Bates: But baby, it's cold outside

HannibalBarca

Turn It On by Genesis.  Infectiously positive-sounding, but the lyrics are incredibly depressing, especially in today's world of more social media and less in-person social interaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APtMSHMiICg

It's basically the story of a lonely person who obsesses over a television star on his favorite show, but Phil Collins adds so much more with his voice.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Metro Mech

Ajoura - The SCP Foundation Main Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJaeH8ffl_M

This especially strikes a cord with me since the music has a unnatural vibe around it, making one feel uneasy.
Currently looking for a RP? Why not give my Thread a little look see, see if you can't find something you like?
A/A <- check here if I haven't replied in some time
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
Behold my O/O

Atarn

Does this one count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU
Christmas at Ground Zero by Weird AL.

Sidenote: How do you link videos so they don't just become a text link?
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

Oniya

If you don't put the 'url' tag around it, the forum's software will automatically embed it.    (Just as a note - although I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply in this case - videos that include children should be linked instead of embedded.)

Lyron

Maybe this one fits? It is kinda catchy and is played a lot on an alternative station here. The narrator is expressing the desire to commit suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-g3wLNjSCc

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

AutumnFury

Oh goodness. If you listen to Octane on SiriusXM at all, then you've found the holy grail for songs that fit that description.

One of the first that comes to mind is a catchy little diddy that I didn't even think about, until I read the lyrics.

Red Sun Rising - Emotionless   -- Song is clearly about someone murdering a girl and then keeping her body until it's past the point of decay.

I'm Glad You're Dead - Bobaflex  -- It's about a son (I think.) that's at his father's funeral and is ever so glad he's dead, as he was abusive.

"You may be the King, but watch the Queen conquer."

Open to:
Random PMs. Feel like chit chatting? Go ahead and message, if you dare.

Lyron

Quote from: AutumnFury on June 25, 2018, 11:15:17 PM
Oh goodness. If you listen to Octane on SiriusXM at all, then you've found the holy grail for songs that fit that description.

One of the first that comes to mind is a catchy little diddy that I didn't even think about, until I read the lyrics.

Red Sun Rising - Emotionless   -- Song is clearly about someone murdering a girl and then keeping her body until it's past the point of decay.

Holy shit, I didn't catch this. Probably because I mishear the chorus, now that I'm looking at the lyrics. >.>

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

AutumnFury

Quote from: Haru329 on June 28, 2018, 11:15:13 AM
Holy shit, I didn't catch this. Probably because I mishear the chorus, now that I'm looking at the lyrics. >.>

I still love it regardless, but wooooah. Pretty friggen creepy!!

Open to:

Aleph

Going for a whole album, Marillion's 1994 prog rock masterpiece "Brave".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkuQ_djFfa4

The band were in the early stages of jamming around tracks that would form the album. Their singer Steve Hogarth was trying to write lyrics when the news had a police call out for information to identify a woman who'd been found on the Severn Bridge. She was naked and had amnesia and had clearly been assaulted.

Being a kinda prog-rock band, it was a concept album that was created. The individual songs are awesome but you listen to them in order and the story emerges.

To be complete bastards about it though, they released a special b-side double groove album. The album builds to its crisis point, both grooves on side b are identical until you got to the last song. One groove ended with "Made Again". A redemptive piece, very much 'winter-into-spring, things get better, rebirth, etc.' stuff. The other groove ended with "Falling From The Moon" which is the anonymous characters jump from the bridge, followed by seven minutes of the sound of lapping water. Until you got to the end of the album, you didn't know which track would be last.

Oniya

Quote from: Aleph on June 29, 2018, 03:39:26 AM
To be complete bastards about it though, they released a special b-side double groove album. The album builds to its crisis point, both grooves on side b are identical until you got to the last song. One groove ended with "Made Again". A redemptive piece, very much 'winter-into-spring, things get better, rebirth, etc.' stuff. The other groove ended with "Falling From The Moon" which is the anonymous characters jump from the bridge, followed by seven minutes of the sound of lapping water. Until you got to the end of the album, you didn't know which track would be last.

This is the sort of trickery that you can only do on vinyl.  Gotta admit, that's pretty damn inventive.

Mister Ugly

everyone thinks country is all about trucks and cowboys and stuff.
You wanta  creepy fun song...-- Dixie Chicks-

Goodbye Earl

https://youtu.be/Gw7gNf_9njs
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Oniya

Quote from: Mister Ugly on June 29, 2018, 04:18:34 AM
everyone thinks country is all about trucks and cowboys and stuff.
You wanta  creepy fun song...-- Dixie Chicks-

Goodbye Earl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye_Earl

Single by Dixie Chicks
from the album Fly
B-side    "Stand by Your Man"
Released    February 29, 2000

I laughed.

RedRose

AutumnFury

Slipknot is known for having fairly disturbing songs if you actually listen, but this one is catchy... And then you realize what they're talking about.

https://youtu.be/mhJh5_6MuCk

Open to:

Lyron

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

AutumnFury

Open to:

Inari

I am surprised this thread is still alive. :o

That a side~

Not sure if this has been posted but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sc81yxo600

Basically about the struggle of addiction when you are trying to stay clean.

Lyron

Here's another new song about suicide that popped up on a radio station here (makes the locale look like a swell place, huh? LOL). Fair warning: the lyrics do detail suicide attempts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ApS_cf8bhs

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

Kit Cat

Surprised Peter Gabriel hasn't got onto here yet!

Brilliant artist, catchy tunes, some very dark/creepy song themes. Just briefly, you have:

1) Family Snapshot - Based on a Arthur Bremer's real life attempt at assassination https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFDgBSk1ghM

2) Mercy Street - Based on Anne Sexton's writing and death https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs35CBGOxbc

3) No Self Control - Has a stalker's angst ever been so catchy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yEcTB2va5E

4) Don't Give Up (with Kate Bush) - A man loses everything, and intends to commit suicide! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjEq-r2agqc

And last but not least:

5) Games Without Frontiers - The catchiest comparison between international self destruction and childish pique ever written (and scarily still relevant) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xZmlUV8muY

RedRose

Mister Ugly

Johnny Cash-- Classic country artist and yet he did

Delia's Gone!

https://youtu.be/y_OpclaG5x4

Which female artist has the most Grammies?

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Lilias

Such shenanigans are expected from PJ Harvey. She wouldn't hang out with Nick Cave otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbq4G1TjKYg

Here be proof (watch, don't just listen; this is pretty amazing for a one-take shoot):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzmMB8dTwGs

Full-blown Southern Gothic style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx6f68Wd9dc
~Wendell Berry

Lyron

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

AutumnFury

Quote from: Haru329 on July 06, 2018, 07:22:52 PM
Um, guilty pleasure songs. >.> Especially nice to have on hand for those violent characters.

I have an entire playlist devoted to one character, all of this... ilk. ;) I love it!

Open to:

Aleph

So, for those of you don't who play the video game Warframe, new content was announced today with a really good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwSB1x26ExM

It's great working music, until you realise the lyrics basically boil down to "We're lucky to work our life-debts down to the point where we can hand them on to our children to continue working off in slave-like conditions."

Lyron

Quote from: AutumnFury on July 06, 2018, 10:09:03 PM
I have an entire playlist devoted to one character, all of this... ilk. ;) I love it!

That's fun! :D So you're probably sitting on a gold mine for this thread.

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

AutumnFury

Quote from: Haru329 on July 08, 2018, 07:27:22 AM
That's fun! :D So you're probably sitting on a gold mine for this thread.
You know it. ;)

https://youtu.be/-OOHeIxDKkQ

I think the title is pretty self explanitory. Crossfade is great for their dark songs.

Open to:

RedRose

Drunkard planning to toil like a slave on a boat to escape to a paradise island where he hopes pretty local girls will welcome him.. hum… This is a recipe for a #manwhowouldbeking situation non?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0j3Ve05TqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEHsIcsjtdI of course

Kit Cat

Quote from: AutumnFury on July 06, 2018, 10:09:03 PM

Nothing better than music to be able to get into the mind of a character! I do this a lot too, for various characters and stories!

Lyron

Oh yes! I have to have a playlist for every character. Their creation doesn't feel complete without one. XD

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

AutumnFury

Quote from: Kit Cat on July 14, 2018, 06:58:11 AM
Nothing better than music to be able to get into the mind of a character! I do this a lot too, for various characters and stories!

Quote from: Haru329 on July 14, 2018, 07:14:15 AM
Oh yes! I have to have a playlist for every character. Their creation doesn't feel complete without one. XD

I have found my people! :D

Open to:

RedRose

Oniya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTuPbJLqFKI

lyrics

Sunshine came softly through my a-window today
Could've tripped out easy a-but I've a-changed my ways
It'll take time, I know it but in a while
You're gonna be mine, I know it, we'll do it in style
'Cause I made my mind up you're going to be mine
I'll tell you right now

Any trick in the book now, baby, all that I can find
Everybody's hustlin' just to have a little scene
When I say we'll be cool I think that you know what I mean
We stood on a beach at sunset, do you remember when?
I know a beach where, baby, a-it never ends
When you've made your mind up forever to be mine
Hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm

I'll pick up your hand and slowly blow your little mind
'Cause I made my mind up you're going to be mine
I'll tell you right now

Any trick in the book now, baby, all that I can find
Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
I can make like a turtle and dive for your pearls in the sea, yeah
A you-you-you can just sit there a-thinking on your velvet throne
'Bout all the rainbows a-you can a-have for your own
I'll pick up your hand and slowly blow your little mind
I'll pick up your hand
I'll pick up your hand

The girl in the pictures (Sue Lyon) dated Donovan for a while, until one night in 1967 when Donovan slipped some LSD into her drink.  She didn't speak to him again until 1975.

Oniya

I thought 'la petite mort' was a slang term for an orgasm?  Like, Victorian era slang?

AutumnFury

Having a hard time embedding videos today, so I'll just leave behind names and artists for later.

Deathwish - Red Sun Rising. (I really love these guys, to be honest!) Apocalyptic.

Bloodfeather - Highly Suspect (again, love this band.) A bloodfeather is someone who will hurt you/is hurting you, but you still refuse to hate.
Lydia - Highly Suspect - Drugs, murder, and whatnot.

Open to:

RedRose

Quote from: Oniya on July 18, 2018, 11:40:40 AM
I thought 'la petite mort' was a slang term for an orgasm?  Like, Victorian era slang?

It is. The song is definitely a play on word for that though the topic is creepy.

RedRose

starts sounding like a kid left home alone misbehaving, turn out it's about a dumped gf who destroys her ex's home, this cover is better than the original imho and also darker (incl self harm and gun stuff)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEHgzwd8Ks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSHYlSxQyJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HlhRIMjd8k

Oniya

Somehow, the idea that Traci Lords had an album is kind of disturbing in itself...

RedRose

Yes! I discovered her 'other' interests (?) googling for more songs… I first thought it was someone else with the same name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6b33PTbGxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU3787NR-do

so many songs have disturbing lyrics or stories

RedRose

RedRose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqPtz5qN7HM

spoiling one's life for a guy who gave her a compliment one day (period appropriate classism) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eR6v2zcy4c
obsession, masochism, as "beautiful" (she throws her life away but it's not Worth much) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQFVpPdMFoI

parent basically tells his child life is shite and he can't escape it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxvCnCJdOAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkeDBwsIaZw

Mr Quixotic

Based on the true-life story of sixteen year old Brenda Ann Spencer, who on being asked 'why?' after shooting dead two adults and injuring six children at a local school from the window of her house, replied with;

"I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaHAvEEbQOE
Request Thread And Story Links          O/O's

Current Status - Actively seeking another story or two. If we've noticed each other but, for som reason never connected, or we've written/plotted before and you'd like to again, please shoot me a PM.

'I, myself, am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.'

RedRose

Inari

Sooo Chester Bennington wrote and sang this song exactly 8 years before he committed suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZIummTz9mM

and this one a few months beforehand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9v147BZuE

Those who are fans of Linkin Park will know that Chester had been battling depression on and off for most of his life. Therefore it is believed that he was apologising for his own death in both songs. With this in mind, it makes the songs more haunting when you listen to the lyrics. It is clear that he had thought about it long enough that he left behind the songs like this.

Rest in peace Chester. You will be remembered for your profound lyrics and powerful voice that touched people who suffered like you. Thank you.

RedRose

RedRose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4uHgwHdXOA&list=PLE01Ss-sv4_zyoo7nDoExAOyh-SEFCtx0
Some more than others (number 7 is about Star wars and really cool, 3 5 9 16 are really gloomy, 14 is VERY disturbing). Basically about life in the poor areas in Marseille. Violence, prostitution, forced veiling, islamization, drug, dowries, everything.

Lilias

Trees of Eternity, Hour of the Nightingale

There's nothing inherently disturbing about this album; it is, in fact, heartbreakingly beautiful gothic/doom metal of the fine Finnish school, perfect for building atmosphere this time of year. Everyone will probably have a favourite track (mine is 'Eye Of Night'). What just cranks up the eerie factor is knowing that the singer, who is primarily responsible for the atmosphere, had died several months before the album's release - had likely been, knowingly or not, desperately ill during its creation. A textbook haunting experience.
~Wendell Berry

RedRose

TheLionKing

Maxwell's Silver Hammer- The Beatles. It's rather catchy and upbeat for a song about a serial killer

Lyron

There aren't YouTube videos for either of these, probably because BadFlower is fairly new and their debut album was released only recently, but the songs are available on Spotify:

"Daddy", which is a song about a girl who grew up with a sexually abusive father and kills him at the end.

"Girlfriend", where a guy is stalking a girl on social media and eventually wants to take the "relationship" to the next level by meeting her in real life.

(I already mentioned "Ghost", about suicide, up thread.)

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

Munnin

Hollywood Undead - Bullet

(Heard that song in some baby care advertisement)
I'm still on my feet, so everything is not lost.
Life always teaches arrogant surrender first.
Not for the sake of trophies and awards. For the sake of triumph over evil and meanness! For the purpose of good!

No doubt! No worries! I know the price of victory and the bitterness of defeat.
In the moment of truth, on the path to enlightenment, I am ready to fight my shadow.

RedRose

Aaand I've discovered I NEVER saw the real clip before now. It's still banned on YouTube and others. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5i6340

Oniya

That one was 'georestricted' for me - but I actually did find one on YouTube, just by searching the name of the song.  And if the real one was banned, I've got some words for YouTube's algorithm. O_O

RedRose

The youtube one is live or not a clip, right? The full on clip is only found on Dailymotion.

Oniya

Quote from: RedRose on April 28, 2019, 06:51:38 AM
The youtube one is live or not a clip, right? The full on clip is only found on Dailymotion.

No - it wasn't live.  It was labelled 'Official Video'.  Guy keeps getting caught by his wife with one (or more) other women.

Thumbnail is SFW, video gets - oof.  Warnings for nudity and violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kszt5XSZoJI

echoes

If it pleases the jury I would like to throw a couple of cents into the musical fountain.

I love that so many 90's bands showed up, and then I saw the prog of Marillion get mentioned and I figured I would have to chime in. So without further ado I offer:

Trigger Happy Jack - Poe
No dysfunction in this relationship.

Fall Down - Toad the Wet Sprocket
I believe that this was written regarding the sexual assault of a friend or girlfriend of the lead singer. Also, isolation, depression and withdraw

Intruder - Peter Gabriel
Just a creepy all around song. Maybe not popular but Peter Gabriel was hitting on all cylinders mid 80's.

These songs jumped to my mind regarding the topic.

RedRose

Quote from: Oniya on April 28, 2019, 01:19:37 PM
No - it wasn't live.  It was labelled 'Official Video'.  Guy keeps getting caught by his wife with one (or more) other women.

Thumbnail is SFW, video gets - oof.  Warnings for nudity and violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kszt5XSZoJI

my country won't let it play

echoes

Add in

Animotion:
Obsession
Just the idea of the lengths that people will go to in their desire to get someone else to sleep with them.

Shiney Toy Guns
When did This Storm Begin
Abuse, drug use and addiction, threatened violence

Basileus

One of my favorite Bee Gees songs, "Nights on Broadway" is about a stalker. It took me a couple listenings to actually realize that's what it was talking about. It's pretty catchy, and if you aren't really paying too much to the deeper meaning, it's pretty relatable.

Le RandomBloke

Not sure if it's just the country I am, but quite frankly most people around the Benelux generally assumed/assume it's a beautiful song, not really considering it's about a male photographer exploiting his models. I like songs that have a sort of happy jingle to them yet are deeply disturbing.

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

Phaia

Not only do I like these guys but the song is about burning things down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vwFciHiWlk

The song is kinda creeepy but the Video really is!!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRWMwpPlm28

RedRose

Oniya

I don't remember seeing this one yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybrxCqbfVvQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Wood_(This_Bird_Has_Flown)
QuoteMcCartney commented on the final verse of the song: "In our world the guy had to have some sort of revenge. It could have meant I lit a fire to keep myself warm, and wasn't the decor of her house wonderful? But it didn't, it meant I burned the fucking place down as an act of revenge, and then we left it there and went into the instrumental."

RedRose

RedRose

Amarissa

I think White Winter Hymnal has to be my favorite. It's a Christmas song but the lyrics is all about death
I was following the x5
I was following the pack
All swallowed in their coats
With scarves of red tied 'round their throats
To keep their little heads
From fallin' in the snow
And I turned 'round and there you go
And, Michael, you would fall
And turn the white snow red as strawberries
In the summertime

Formless

Not sure if it was posted before, or if it even fits but its well sung ...

Lullaby of Woe from The Witcher

RedRose

I found a list of clips that got censored or banned in my country and it is telling I cannot find the long version of this even today. The disturbing factor is higher if you've watched Dr Evil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxYypypeOmc
I read the less censored versions show "more" between the boys

Super creepy if you listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zWlnzFXcKY

Love And Submission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEN16GHuwvg

I think it's the tone shift combined with the fact that it's from a Broadway musical that completes it's creep factor.  It also perfectly encapsulates how utterly insane Guiteau was.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Inkidu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5jlTlUTWfQ

Fastball "The Way"

It's a very upbeat song with a tango kind of beat to it. What makes it a little creepy is that it's the romanticized account of an elderly couple who were going to take a trip to the Pioneer Festival in Texas. The wife had advanced Alzheimer's and the husband was recovering from brain surgery. They disappeared several days after starting out, never making it to their festival. They were found in a ravine in Arkansas dead and several hundred miles from their intended destination.

I don't know... I just find it very bittersweet... and part of me hopes that they... just kind of decided to... go out on their own terms together...
I don't know, but as a spiritual person, that chorus is kind of the best description of Heaven I've ever heard...

RedRose

Blythe

Necro-ing this thread because I stumbled on a song that fit the thread title way too well. It was so cheerful and catchy in tune, but then I actually looked at the lyrics and was like 'whoa.' <_<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FoqQlUnfdc

And yet here I am still listening. Really, I should have realized it was going be disturbing from the title, but the cheery start up tune threw me off real bad as to what tone the song was gonna have in the end. >_>

HannibalBarca

My addition of another Peter Gabriel song that's very catchy, but the lyrics pretty much describe the worst of American exceptionalism, a la Donald Trump--Big Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAl9cchQac

I'm on my way, I'm making it
I've got to make it show, yeah
So much larger than life
I'm going to watch it growing

The place where I come from is a small town
They think so small
They use small words
But not me
I'm smarter than that
I worked it out
I've been stretching my mouth
To let those big words come right out

I've had enough, I'm getting out
To the city, the big big city
I'll be a big noise with all the big boys
There's so much stuff I will own
And I will pray to a big god
As I kneel in the big church

Big time
I'm on my way-I'm making it
Big time big time
I've got to make it show yeah
Big time big time
So much larger than life
Big time
Big time

My parties all have big names
And I greet them with the widest smile
Tell them how my life is one big adventure
And always they're amazed
When I show them 'round my house, to my bed
I had it made like a mountain range
With a snow-white pillow for my big fat head
And my heaven will be a big heaven
And I will walk through the front door

Big time
I'm on my way, I'm making it
Big time
Big time
I've got to make it show, yeah
Big time
Big time
So much larger than life
Big time
Big time
Big time
My car is getting bigger
Big time
My house getting bigger
Big time
My eyes getting bigger
Big time
And my mouth
Big time
My belly is getting bigger
Big time
And my bank account
Big time
Look at my circumstance
Big time
And the bulge in my big big big big big big
Big big big big big big big big big
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Chaeronea

Someone mentioned Chester Bennington and Linkin Park earlier, and I have to admit that 'Breaking the Habit' has always been one of their darker songs. With most of the song dealing with depression and addiction a lot of people assume it has a happy ending with 'I'm breaking the habit tonight' meaning that the singer has gained the strength to overcome his issues, but I always thought it meant that the singer had finally decided to end it all by committing suicide.

I first heard about Ugly Kid Joe when they put out 'I Hate Everything About You' and thought it was okay but didn't really think much of them. Then they did a cover of 'Cat's In The Cradle' by Harry Chapin, which along with the video they made for it was awesome and chilling.

Lastly, I'd suggest 'Sunny Came Home' by Shaun Colvin.

GolGol

Every breath you take. By the Police is the most creepy stalking song I have ever heard, and I love it.
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Oniya

Quote from: GolGol on October 13, 2020, 05:23:57 AM
Every breath you take. By the Police is the most creepy stalking song I have ever heard, and I love it.

It was mentioned a bit ago in PROC, but Sting's 'Murder By Numbers' is pretty damn creepy, too.

Mr Quixotic

I'll add Nick Cave and PJ Harvey's 'Henry Lee' to the list!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzmMB8dTwGs

A catchy song about a woman who kills a man and dumps his body in a well after her rejects he attempts at seduction! Just the whole dynamic of the song/clip and their interactions are weirdly creepy from beginning to end. To me, in awesomely good way  >:)

Request Thread And Story Links          O/O's

Current Status - Actively seeking another story or two. If we've noticed each other but, for som reason never connected, or we've written/plotted before and you'd like to again, please shoot me a PM.

'I, myself, am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.'

RedRose

RedRose

Hrairoo

It's about the predatory type of person who bleeds a relationship dry and will use the person they are with for anything. It uses the metaphor of a vampire. And the person is now in so deep he dosen't know how to get out.

RedRose

Lyron

It's a cover of a Slipknot song, so it's, like, automatically going to be disturbing, but the country instrumentals make it sound like something someone might crank up on a summer evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXpF5RFA4ug&ab_channel=AlexMelton

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

Stormrider

Super bad child molester   lol

<iframe width="726" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qJFVPxBpezk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Love to write ... tell me if it is not working  for you. I will understand. Just don't leave me hanging.   Looking for a writing partner.

Stormrider

love this song   

https://youtu.be/waAam2n0kB0?t=92

freaky lyrics

Well you're up so high
How can you save me
When the dark comes here
Tonight to take me up
To my front walk
And into bed where it kisses my face
And eats my head
Love to write ... tell me if it is not working  for you. I will understand. Just don't leave me hanging.   Looking for a writing partner.

RedRose

Stormrider

Stormrider

Damn Rose   lots of good songs here    I'd like to link to you Spotify lol

Surprised no one has listed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4dSZD3YQ_M

RedRose

Stormrider

Very cool.  I love music.  Sang in a barber shop quartet in collage. 

Stormrider

Oniya

I remember translating 99 Luftballoons in my college German class.

'Ninety-nine years of war
Leaves no place for victors.
There are no more war ministers
And also no fighter pilots.
Today I make my rounds,
See the world lay in ruins
I have found a toy balloon,
Think of you and let it fly.'

Lord Mayerling

RedRose

Quote from: RedRose on June 30, 2019, 02:24:13 PM
I found a list of clips that got censored or banned in my country and it is telling I cannot find the long version of this even today. The disturbing factor is higher if you've watched Dr Evil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxYypypeOmc
I read the less censored versions show "more" between the boys

look at that it got censored!

RedRose

First heard it at a religious place, I asked someone if they knew what it meant. "It's English"
lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MEwIPYdSJs

Oniya

Oddly enough, that's a cover of a French song, although maybe it's old enough that people don't hear the original any more.

https://genius.com/Serge-gainsbourg-ballade-de-melody-nelson-lyrics

And apparently the entire Gainsbourg album it's from is a 'concept album' about this one character.

Lain

My Heritage Is Rebellion.

RedRose

Quote from: Oniya on March 07, 2021, 02:07:56 PM
Oddly enough, that's a cover of a French song, although maybe it's old enough that people don't hear the original any more.

https://genius.com/Serge-gainsbourg-ballade-de-melody-nelson-lyrics

And apparently the entire Gainsbourg album it's from is a 'concept album' about this one character.

Yup it is. I wonder if they simply don't know about it (very likely) or if they don't hear Melody Nelson and remember the album. I discovered the French first, and years later heard this and wondered if they were stealing, doing a cover...? then shazamed and wow, Placebo

TheTech

Hi all, im new and hope to join :D Just to add my 2c in. A lot of the 80s songs could be in this category. For example: Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue - is about a drug dealer.

Oniya

Quote from: TheTech on March 31, 2021, 11:22:52 AM
Hi all, im new and hope to join :D Just to add my 2c in. A lot of the 80s songs could be in this category. For example: Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue - is about a drug dealer.

I see your '80s, and raise you.... 1967.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0

TheTech

Oniya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-lHrDPjGfQ

Bit of trivia on this one:  Louis Armstrong is responsible for adding 'Lotte Lenya' to the lyrics of this song (originally composed in German by Kurt Weil).  Lotte Lenya was Weil's wife, and played 'Pirate Jenny' (Jenny Diver) in 'The Three-Penny Opera'.

She also went on to play Rosa Kleb, the Russian agent with the switch-blade shoes in 'From Russia, With Love'.

echoes

Did anyone ever offer up Hammerhead from the Offspring?
It sounds like someone is all gung-ho patriotic about being a soldier until you hear the lines:
And you can all hide behind your desks now
And you can cry "Teacher come help me"
And now you know this is about a school shooting.

Inkidu

Outkast, "Hey Ya!"

I don't think I've seen it here, but it's probably one of the most analyzed songs from the 2000s in this vein.

Oniya

'Shake it like a Polaroid picture'?  How did this thing come out after I graduated?  (Mind you, that bit isn't creepy or disturbing - just kinda weird.)

AlizsahTheBard

Witch Doctor by the Cartoons (Manipulating via Magic to get a girl to fall in love with you)

The Wizard by Madness - (Magical Manipulation again)

Build Me Up Buttercup by The Foundations (It sounds like an Incel National Anthem when you know lyrics...)
A Tiefling Most Private (Naughty Thot) Thoughts - AlizsahTheBard Search Thread
"And so we go, on with our lives. We know the truth but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss. Why go against tradition when we can?
Admit defeat, live in decline! Be the victim of our own design...
The status quo, built on suspect. Why would anyone stick out their neck?"
The Decline NOFX

Oniya

Two from the Police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aENX1Sf3fgQ

'I resolve to call her up a thousand times a day
And ask her if she'll marry me in some old fashioned way
But my silent fears have gripped me long before I reach the phone
Long before my tongue has tripped me
Must I always be alone?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svWINSRhQU0

'I will turn your flesh to alabaster
When you find your servant is your master
You'll be wrapped around my finger
You'll be wrapped around my finger'

RainyHigh

When it came out, some of the people I worked with didn't really understand the blatant 'wrongness' (edit: I mean to say, just how effed up America is) of This is America by Childish Gambino. The video made it pretty obvious as well as the lyrics.  :-\
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Lux12

Anyone ever stop to think about the lyrics to Plush by Stone Temple Pilots? I don't know if anyone else has already posted about it, but the lyrics sound pretty innocuous if relatively unremarkable at first (Which I don't say to knock STP as I do like them and that may be part of the point.) But then you hit the chorus...

And I feel, that time's a wasted go
So where you goin' to tomorrow?
And I see, that these are lies to come
Would you even care?

And I feel it
And I feel it

Where ya goin' to tomorrow?
Where ya goin' with the mask I found?
And I feel and I feel when the dogs begin to smell her
Will she smell alone?

That last part of the chorus is where I began to realize there was something a bit more unnerving than a simple breakup song. I remember my friend pointing out that the chorus sounded as if it were about a murder. Sure enough, the lyrical imagery was inspired by a kidnapping and murder and Scott Weiland said that the imagery was really more of a metaphor for a "lost, obsessive relationship." I do believe Weiland meant for that obsessive part to be interpreted as being particularly unhealthy to put it lightly. It's not a particularly creepy sounding song, but it gets really unnerving if you pay attention to the lyrics.

Oniya

Quote from: Lux12 on July 16, 2021, 01:55:23 AM
Anyone ever stop to think about the lyrics to Plush by Stone Temple Pilots? I don't know if anyone else has already posted about it, but the lyrics sound pretty innocuous if relatively unremarkable at first (Which I don't say to knock STP as I do like them and that may be part of the point.)

I don't think there's a single song that I've posted that I don't honestly like.  Of course, that's probably why I've paid enough attention to the lyrics to find the messed-up bits.  ;D

RedRose

Lux12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeZEjU0nZeo

Go-Getter Greg by Ludo

Admittedly, this song wasn't a megahit, but it was all over alternative rock radio or at least the local station during my senior year of high school. To put it bluntly, it's about one of those guys who just won't take no for an answer and while I don't think the listener was ever supposed to side with the character in the song, the band is trying to play what's frankly increasingly stalkerish behavior for laughs. Granted it's not he creepiest possible portrayal of this sort of thing and there's a few lines where it seems as if the band is trying to make this guy, the titular Greg look either annoying or just pathetic, but knowing how these things often go in real life...It's a lot less funny than they intended. I still don't know how to feel about this song. When I was 17/18 I rather liked it and kind of took at as a funny song about some annoying guy, but as I've gotten older and become more aware of how these things often end for the women on the receiving end....

Azy

I can't think of any songs off the top of my head right now, but it's interesting that someone is bringing the topic up.  Sometimes I'm listening to a song, and it has a nice catchy tune, but the lyrics are a bit creepy.  Oh, Animals by Maroon 5.  It didn't really sink in until I saw the music video. 

Lyron

Quote from: Lux12 on July 16, 2021, 01:55:23 AM
Anyone ever stop to think about the lyrics to Plush by Stone Temple Pilots?

I actually didn't realize it before, lol. "Sex Type Thing" is another one. Granted, I misheard some of the lyrics, as I so often do, but it didn't occur to me that it was about rape until I finally looked up the lyrics sometime within the past few years.

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

RedRose

I never realized it was about gas chambers until I did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wag7cvR-vMo

Someone under the video says it's about passion, hmmm no

Songbird

It was only a little while ago that I realized how stalkery the song "Hello" by Adele sounds... :-X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be12BC5pQLE

It's too bad, because I love Adele and her music, but repeatedly calling someone when they clearly aren't interested is pretty stalkery. :-X
... Babe of the Bounteous Bosom, Mistress of the Comma, Saint of Submission, Her Succubian Majesty, the Non-Prescription Viagra, The Beauty with the Booty, The Hussy Who is Busty, Curvaceous Muse, Hopeless Romantic, Horny Marshmallow, History Whore, Captured Maiden, Innocent Angel, Sex Kitten, Dutiful Daughter, Nubile Nerd, and One Wordy Wench. 💗

Current Status: Recovering from Covid. Replies may be slow.
My Ons/Offs  🌸  My A/A  🌸  My Roleplay Request Thread 🌸 Gallery of Visual Inspiration (NSFW) 🌸 Hall of Musical Inspiration 🌸 Current and Past Roleplays