Monitor problem - a sign of more to come or not?

Started by Cassandra LeMay, August 20, 2016, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassandra LeMay

All of a sudden a thin vertical line of bright, primary green has appeared on my monitor. I am pretty much convinced that it's a hardware problem, which is something I can live with, as this baby has served me very well for many a year and I guess it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. But I was wondering if a single line of pixels on the monitor developing a fault is something I should take as a sign of more monitor problems soon, or not.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

AmberStarfire

I was curious so I Googled it and it looks like there's a range of reasons and advice out there depending on the nature of the device. Most I saw related to laptop screens and tvs, but it sounds like this is a desktop monitor. It's something that's mentioned on there related to LCD in particular. I'd say do some Googling, and you ought to be able to find the cause.

Fenirus

First thing I would recommend would be checking your connections between monitor and computer and if possible swapping the monitor cable.  This really just sounds like it could be a bad cable (the cheap fix) but the monitor could be going bad.  Do you see any discoloration or other dead pixels or just that one green line and nothing else?  I ask as a Tech Support guy.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Fenirus on August 25, 2016, 07:49:14 AM
First thing I would recommend would be checking your connections between monitor and computer and if possible swapping the monitor cable.  This really just sounds like it could be a bad cable (the cheap fix) but the monitor could be going bad.  Do you see any discoloration or other dead pixels or just that one green line and nothing else?  I ask as a Tech Support guy.
When I switched it on this morning a second green line appeared close to the first one (maybe half a centimeter, 2/8" away). Changing the cable had no effect.

For the moment I have just swapped the primary (faulty) and secondary monitor in my two monitor setup. Good thin is I hardly run any programs these days that really need a secondary monitor.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Fenirus

True and if that's the case it does sound like the monitor might be going on you there, especially since the probably didn't transfer to the other monitor.  Sorry bout the bad luck with that but at least it wasn't worse.