You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 28, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Puzzle help  (Read 364 times)

Offline mvo33Topic starter

Puzzle help
« on: August 16, 2016, 10:34:08 AM »
Does anyone have any good resources for creating puzzles?  I'm building an adventure for a 5e game featuring level 12 characters and am just not that good at creating puzzles. 

The idea is that these adventurers ascend three or four levels of a lich/wizard tower and need to solve these puzzles to move up...kind of a classic Baldur's Gate, Durlag's/Watcher's tower scenario.

Offline Zenkai

Re: Puzzle help
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »
do you want to challenge the players, or the characters?

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 01:30:52 PM »
Mostly for the players.

Typically the adventures I've created have been more combat focused encounters, the challenge being in the setting or how it was structured (or in the case of Shadowrun how you accomplish the goal).  But for this new adventure I'm creating I'd like to have a puzzle or two that would need to be solved to open the way forward instead of just a "I pick the lock" type of scenario.  Perhaps while under attack perhaps not.

I've already had a few combat encounters in mind, mostly combining undead and illusions, regular zombies under the illusion to make them appear as a Zombie Beholder or similar, something similar every floor until they get to a floor that actually has a Zombie Beholder in it. 

Either add a puzzle to open a door with one of these encounters or just a floor that included one of these to allow the party to take a short rest.

Thank you for your help

Offline majinmaster

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:31:52 AM »
those are great thank you.