You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 02:15:02 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Isle of the Damned - Pirates, Slaves, Fantasy - Always Recruiting  (Read 1214 times)

Online GnothiSeautonTopic starter

• The Baddest Bitch in All the Realm. Mother of The Bieber. Defender of the Brotherfucking Faith. Captain of the Raven. Queen of Gilea. Lover of all things Kenneth Parcell and Lucielle Bluth.
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land by day, Isle of the Damned by night, Church of the Sacred Union every Sunday
  • "Illiteracy?!? What does that word even mean?"
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
Re: Isle of the Damned - Pirates, Slaves, Fantasy - Always Recruiting
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 12:44:04 AM »
This looks like a lot of fun. Definitely a great group of writers already involved!

~goes to poke around the threads and see what's what~

:D

Would love to have you, Caela!

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me!

Offline A Painter

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 08:24:30 PM »
Narcia is involved with slave capturing and trade. She needs people on her crew, even if it's against their will. Lol!

HM!  Not sure if a (weak) mind reader would be a good fit for a slaver, but we may be able to think of something :)  Maybe when Narcia seeking out potential trades and new partners, the slave can be a lie detector.  Maybe even check who may want to double cross her once in a while.

@GnothiSeauton If I can't find someone to be a master I suppose I could alter the character to be a free at this point in their life.

• The Baddest Bitch in All the Realm. Mother of The Bieber. Defender of the Brotherfucking Faith. Captain of the Raven. Queen of Gilea. Lover of all things Kenneth Parcell and Lucielle Bluth.
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land by day, Isle of the Damned by night, Church of the Sacred Union every Sunday
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 09:32:11 PM »
HM!  Not sure if a (weak) mind reader would be a good fit for a slaver, but we may be able to think of something :)  Maybe when Narcia seeking out potential trades and new partners, the slave can be a lie detector.  Maybe even check who may want to double cross her once in a while.

@GnothiSeauton If I can't find someone to be a master I suppose I could alter the character to be a free at this point in their life.

You're more than welcome to check in on the OOC to see if there might be any interest.

It's been a common issue, particularly in the past, with people wishing to do slave characters, only to not be able to find partners to take on the role of masters.  It's why I try to caution people with slave characters, or wishing to do slave characters, to look around beforehand and hash out some details with someone before really getting committed and invested in the character.

Offline consortium11

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 03:06:53 AM »
We have (somewhat) pretty videos too!

Offline yesiroleplay

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 04:00:43 AM »
This vaguely reminds me of the world Pandemia from Dave Duncan's "A Man of His Word" series.   Particularly the isle of Durthing from the novel "Perilous Seas."  The Skolsung in particular remind me of the Jotun/Nordland raiders from that series.

Anyway, color me interested (the color interested is a hot reddish salmon by the way).  Pending a decent character concept that hasn't already been taken (my first few ideas are covered by characters I found in the approved character thread, so I'm still thinking.)

-------
edit:  with a concept.
I'm thinking maybe playing a native girl, a slave but only technically, as her whole village and all the people in it are owned by someone that takes little interest in the holding.  They live off the sea - fishing and pearl-diving mostly.  With salvage and beach-combing as secondary sources of income.  They might also be wreckers - people that lure ships into treacherous waters to wreck so that they can salvage them later.   Though no one in the village profits at more than subsistence level from either the pearls or the salvage work - all the profits go to the master/owner.  Or at least to the factotum that administers the village for him.

The village is locally but not well known as the go-to place for undersea exploration/salvage, as they can dive to amazing depths and stay under for quite some time. 

Is such an owned village of indigenous locals something that might exist on the island?  or on one of the tiny unmapped islands nearby? If the concept fits, I'll work more on the character
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:38:06 AM by yesiroleplay »

Offline la dame en noir

• A resident pansexual woman. That weird black girl. The Cosplayer and the Loud Mouth.
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • "Shepard-Commander" - Legion ME2
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 10:33:51 AM »
As a profession - is it possible for my character to dabble in medical herbs? Maybe she has a different sort of drug she sells under the table?

Offline Cerevan

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »

Glad to see the thread's caught your eye :D

I couldn't resist. also holy shit sabrina flashbacks Can I nab Jessica Parker Kennedy as a FC, please?

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2016, 12:46:29 PM »
I couldn't resist. also holy shit sabrina flashbacks Can I nab Jessica Parker Kennedy as a FC, please?

I will go right ahead and put her down for you!

As a profession - is it possible for my character to dabble in medical herbs? Maybe she has a different sort of drug she sells under the table?

That's definitely possible.

I think Undine is doing an apothecary owner, but don't see why we couldn't have another character dabbling in a similar field, especially if she has different sorts of drugs to sell under the table.

This vaguely reminds me of the world Pandemia from Dave Duncan's "A Man of His Word" series.   Particularly the isle of Durthing from the novel "Perilous Seas."  The Skolsung in particular remind me of the Jotun/Nordland raiders from that series.

Anyway, color me interested (the color interested is a hot reddish salmon by the way).  Pending a decent character concept that hasn't already been taken (my first few ideas are covered by characters I found in the approved character thread, so I'm still thinking.)

-------
edit:  with a concept.
I'm thinking maybe playing a native girl, a slave but only technically, as her whole village and all the people in it are owned by someone that takes little interest in the holding.  They live off the sea - fishing and pearl-diving mostly.  With salvage and beach-combing as secondary sources of income.  They might also be wreckers - people that lure ships into treacherous waters to wreck so that they can salvage them later.   Though no one in the village profits at more than subsistence level from either the pearls or the salvage work - all the profits go to the master/owner.  Or at least to the factotum that administers the village for him.

The village is locally but not well known as the go-to place for undersea exploration/salvage, as they can dive to amazing depths and stay under for quite some time. 

Is such an owned village of indigenous locals something that might exist on the island?  or on one of the tiny unmapped islands nearby? If the concept fits, I'll work more on the character

Sounds like a rather interesting character and culture!

If she is from one of the native groups on the island itself, I would have to say no, just because it's been established that the capturing of natives on the island is somewhat illegal, as it helps to protect the alliance between the villagers and inhabitants, and the indigenous people.

Now, if she was taken from, say, a smaller, nearby island, or even from one of the Shattered Islands, that would be more than acceptable.

I haven't heard of that series before.  I'll definitely have to check it out.

Offline Undine

• A Lady of the Waters, Mad Lover of the Winds and the Laughter in the Storm
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • Grace abounds in deepest waters.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »

At first blush La Dame, it seems our characters are probably headed in very different directions, even if they both have an interest in medical herbs.  This is my Iyelda, fwiw.

Offline la dame en noir

• A resident pansexual woman. That weird black girl. The Cosplayer and the Loud Mouth.
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • "Shepard-Commander" - Legion ME2
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2016, 09:49:21 AM »
Oh nvm, I wouldn't want to replicate your character.

Offline Caela

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2016, 04:01:39 PM »
Will have a concept up sometime tomorrow. This weekend at work is kicking my butt but my staycation starts tomorrow!

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2016, 05:58:07 PM »
Oh nvm, I wouldn't want to replicate your character.

If you want, Dame, your character could be a healer/medical herb expert that serves, or has served, on one of the ships.  Could have been a merchant vessel or even a pirate crew.  The two characters could even go into business together.

Just tossing out ideas.  I'm more than happy to help and assist.

Will have a concept up sometime tomorrow. This weekend at work is kicking my butt but my staycation starts tomorrow!

No problem, Caela.  Take your time.

Happy staycation!

Offline Undine

• A Lady of the Waters, Mad Lover of the Winds and the Laughter in the Storm
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • Grace abounds in deepest waters.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »
If you want, Dame, your character could be a healer/medical herb expert that serves, or has served, on one of the ships.  Could have been a merchant vessel or even a pirate crew.  The two characters could even go into business together.

Just tossing out ideas.  I'm more than happy to help and assist.

If you did want the characters to be in business together Dame, yours and Iyelda?  We could certainly work something out if that appeals to you - my PM box is always open, let's chat if you like!