Alright, let me lay out what I have so far in regards to concept, and feel free to suggest. This will include some background material which those familiar with the Persona and MegaTen games will already know, but it bears repeating. Some is an interpretation of the MegaTen cosmology that may not be exactly cannon, but doesn't deviate horribly, so, again, tolerate if you can
Backstory: Mankind is not alone in the universe. Beside our world, there is a different place, where the Shadows live. Their world intersects with our on occasion, at certain places and certain times. Some of these have been accidental, others deliberate. The worst of these deliberate crossovers was engineered by the Kirijo Corporation, a large corporation with a dark hidden agenda: the end of the world. Fortunately for the world, a lab accident prevented them from releasing a massive Shadow called Nyx into the world in its true form. Instead, the monster was fragmented, and the world changed. The essence of Nyx created a linkage between our world and that of the Shadows, giving the Shadows limited access to our world at midnight each night, the Dark Hour. At that time, time as we know it stopped, and the Shadows walked while we slept, transformed into coffins.
But there were those who were active during the Dark Hour. Many were simply victims, who were preyed on by the Shadows and left as hollow, emotionless shells suffering from what the media called "Apathy Syndrome". But others gained the ability to unleash parts of their psyche and use those aspects of themselves to perform amazing feats. Some gained this power naturally, while others gained it by experiments performed by the Kirijo Group, some of which still wanted to end the world. The main body of the group, however, sought to end what the previous generation had created. The daughter of the current head of the company, himself the son of the CEO who wanted to end the world, ended up gathering a team of empowered teens from her school, which was itself built on hte site where Nyx originally entered this world. This group, dubbed SEES, the "Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad," eventually was able to unwittingly reform, than defeat, Nyx and end the Dark Hour forever ten years after it came into being.
Or so it was thought....
Fifteen years have passed, and the Dark Hour has returned. Rogue elements of the Kirijo group, along with a mysterious outsider who calls himself Rasputin, have reopened the door to the world of the Shadows. They have found the old research, and set up shop in a new place. And with this new place has come new ideas. This new group does not seem to want to end the world. So far, they seem to want money and power, and have used the Shadows to get them. They have learned the lessons of the past as well. The last time the Shadows walked, they were mostly limited to the accident site, which turned into a massive tower called Tarturus during the Dark Hour. And so, rather than rely on the monsters themselves, they have fused them to footsoldiers, creating monsters that can walk the land during the Dark Hour. They also have generals, humans who have gained access to their Persona through dark experiments in order to serve their master. This new organization, calling itself Bogatyr, is still relatively small, but it is gaining power, and it clearly has evil intentions.
Mitsuru Kirijo, now unable to go into battle herself, has found a new generation of young heroes, heroes who have only recently themselves awakened to the power they hold and the truth of night. She has provided resources for them to use, and now prepares to send them into battle to once again drive back the darkness.
The practical part:
- The characters in this game are college students, so the age range is quite broad. The game focused on high schoolers, but I'm going a bit older for assorted reasons.
- The focus is going to be on stopping Bogatyr from doing whatever it wants to do; not as much focus will be placed on the social aspects of the world beyond the team.
- Each player needs to choose a primary weapon type for their character. This needs to be an ancient-style weapon, as modern weapons like guns do not work during the Dark Hour. Modern versions of old-fashioned weapons are fine (a modern knife works as well as an ancient one). Think nothing more advanced than a crossbow.
- Each player will also need to choose a starting Persona, and should ahve an idea at least for how they want it to evolve:
1. Persona generally appear as myth and folktale characters. They can be gods, monsters, fairies, angels, demons, heroes, or villains. In reality, they are simply representations of parts of the character's psyche. For example, someone who feels they are very wise may have a persona like Thoth, a god of wisdom.
2. Persona allow the character to use magic. The magic effects available (in general terms) are:
f. Status effects (poison, charm, confuse, frighten, paralyze)
i. Physical attacks
Persona typically are focused on two areas, usually an elemental-type and something else (healing, status, physical, etc.). Persona effects are limited in their use, so don't expect to constantly use magic. Persona are invoked by using an Evoker, a gun-like item (it can't be used as a weapon, sorry!) that frees the Persona to perform an effect. The Persona can change as a result of major events in the character's life (i.e.: The death of a friend, learning an important truth, etc.), evolving into a more powerful form. This new form is typically in the same pantheon as the original (i.e. Someone with a Greek titan as a persona would still have a Greek persona when it evolved, but it may be a god instead of a titan). The change typically allows the character access to more powerful versions of existing spells, and sometimes a new type of ability as well (i.e.: access to healing spells).
- I have not thought much about sexual content. I expect some, but I'm happy to take suggestions as to what people want in that regard.
Anyway, that's what I'm thinking right now. I worry that this will be difficult without a system, or that it will generally be difficult to run, but I'm still willing to give it a go. Let me know what you think, or any questions.