You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 01:04:56 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Very simple dice-driven game?  (Read 470 times)

Offline NileGoddessTopic starter

Very simple dice-driven game?
« on: July 31, 2016, 03:25:12 PM »
I'd like to develop something superhero related that is mostly free-form, but relies on a basic dice roll system to determine the outcome of battles. Nothing really build or skill-based, just two players roll, higher number wins.

I'm trying to avoid any bottlenecks, or instances of characters not being able to battle because it's clearly one-sided and it's a case of wrong skill against wrong build. Just looking to spice things up with a degree of randomness, mixed with descriptive writing.

Does this even sound like a fun idea?

Another idea I saw was to have three basic stats, numbered one to three. You pick a skill to use and that number determines how many die you roll. Obviously, rolling three die gives you a better chance to roll higher than one dice. You don't know what the other player selected, so you don't know if you should use your strongest, or weakest skills first. Best two out of three wins.

Offline Remiel

Re: Very simple dice-driven game?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 04:50:12 PM »
I'm a huge fan of KISS (Keep it Simple, Stupid) systems.  In my experience, it's far too easy to get bogged down in the numbers.

Color me intrigued!

Offline CeruleanSerenity

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »
I've been thinking on this to see if I can come up with anything, and...

Another idea I saw was to have three basic stats, numbered one to three. You pick a skill to use and that number determines how many die you roll. Obviously, rolling three die gives you a better chance to roll higher than one dice. You don't know what the other player selected, so you don't know if you should use your strongest, or weakest skills first. Best two out of three wins.
This sounds like a better idea than any I have had, if you want to keep things simple. The only possible problem I see is that it would require a GM or someone not involved in the conflict, since the chosen skills have to be kept secret before they're rolled and any posts describing the conflict could be written, but that wouldn't be difficult in a group game.

If I were writing out the rules formally, it would look something like...

1. Every character has three skills, one each at rating 1, 2, and 3. These skills represent the character's useful talents, and can be anything from superpowers like pyrokinesis to mundane qualities such as "quick-witted" or "trained soldier".

2. To resolve a conflict, all players first send a private message to the GM, picking one of their skills and describing how they will use it to achieve their goal. Once every player has done so, the GM reveals the characters decisions, and rolls are made to determine the outcome. One six-sided die is rolled per rank of the skill; for example, if a character uses rating 3 pyrokinesis, their player would roll 3 dice. The highest total wins that round of conflict, and (after all players have described their actions, if desired) the conflict moves on to the next round. Two out of three wins determine the overall victor.

3. Each skill can only be used once per conflict. A player may describe their character as using a power throughout the conflict, but once a skill has been rolled, it won't contribute to the results of any further rolls.

4. In the event of a tie, the round is repeated until a winner is decided, and skills chosen for that round can be used again. Characters involved may stick with the same skill, or pick a different one.

5. If multiple characters are working together, rolls are made as normal, and only the highest roll for each side is used. Victory and failure are determined for the entire group.
I could probably have written that out better but hopefully it's understandable enough...

Then, if you wanted, the GM could give the players the option to improve their skills at certain points in the story, each improvement adding a +1 to all total rolls of the skill chosen, maybe up to a maximum of +3. The GM could also give out bonuses and penalties if the chosen skills are used cleverly or particularly well (or ill) suited for the conflict, maybe from -3 to +3 at most. Summoning a rainstorm might be a good way to combat a sentient forest fire, but super-seduction... probably not so much. (Unless you're really hot.)

If you want things to be more random so that weaker skills have a better chance of winning out over stronger skills, you could have skills be assigned single dice rather than numbers. Maybe characters start out with a d4 skill, a d6 skill, and a d8 skill, and each of these can be improved one step at a time up to d12.

Offline NileGoddessTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:16:56 PM »
This sounds like a better idea than any I have had, if you want to keep things simple. The only possible problem I see is that it would require a GM or someone not involved in the conflict, since the chosen skills have to be kept secret before they're rolled and any posts describing the conflict could be written, but that wouldn't be difficult in a group game.

Yes, that was how this game was handled, and what I was expecting to do.

Then, if you wanted, the GM could give the players the option to improve their skills at certain points in the story, each improvement adding a +1 to all total rolls of the skill chosen, maybe up to a maximum of +3. The GM could also give out bonuses and penalties if the chosen skills are used cleverly or particularly well (or ill) suited for the conflict, maybe from -3 to +3 at most. Summoning a rainstorm might be a good way to combat a sentient forest fire, but super-seduction... probably not so much. (Unless you're really hot.)

If you want things to be more random so that weaker skills have a better chance of winning out over stronger skills, you could have skills be assigned single dice rather than numbers. Maybe characters start out with a d4 skill, a d6 skill, and a d8 skill, and each of these can be improved one step at a time up to d12.

That's an interesting addition. I'll have to give that some more thought. Thanks!

Offline ClosetBadBoy

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:59:44 AM »
Hey.

Have you looked into the Engel storytelling system? There you don't roll dice but draw cards to determine a word that needs to used as context for the result or how these conflict may continue.  Talk about completely new levels of creativity when you got no clue what to do in a tight spot and you draw the card 'creativity'. :D

I 'm commuting atm, but could take a look for some (English)  resources later tonight,  if that sounds interesting to you.

Have been thinking of coming up with an' Engel of Smut' adult rated version actually... ;D

/CBB

Edit: quick check shows only the not so interesting D20 version in English. The card system is only in German. If you are interested in it, let me know via PM and I can explain.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:02:49 AM by ClosetBadBoy »

Offline Hunter

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »
You might look into dX (if you can still find a copy).   Alternately if you're just looking for an eroticly driven simply system, you might look into BBSW (big breast small waist).