You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 10:25:27 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: How can you tell if your computer is being remotely accessed?  (Read 161 times)

Online BlinkinTopic starter

• Court Jester extraordinaire!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I try to be good, but it's such hard work!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Over the last few days, I've picked up my keyboard to find that my screen reader has been turned off; something that it's not suppose to do on it's own.

This morning, I put on a pair of headphones connected to my computer and before I had touched anything, I heard "start button." This is the screen reader notification that the start button on the keyboard has been pressed, some call it the windows key. As I had not touched either the keyboard and I don't have a mouse, this combined with my screen reader turning itself off while I'm away from the computer has made me wonder... how would I tell if my computer is being remotely accessed and how would I stop it if it were?

I've run both AVG and Malwarebytes, and both have come back clean, but as someone told me the otherday, neither are the best antivirus outthere, so...

Just to state it, I'm a computer idiot, so any help would be really helpful if it was offered in easy to understand steps that doesn't require a mouse.

Thanks!

Blinkin

Offline Vekseid

Re: How can you tell if your computer is being remotely accessed?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
What windows version are you using?

You have no reason for anyone to be using Remote Desktop/Assistance.

In Windows 7, these settings are under the control panel -> system -> system protection

Which will open a multi-tab dialog, you want the 'remote' tab. Make sure remote assistance is disabled, and to disable incoming remote desktop connections.

Online BlinkinTopic starter

• Court Jester extraordinaire!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I try to be good, but it's such hard work!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: How can you tell if your computer is being remotely accessed?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 03:09:06 PM »
Thanks, I'll check those settings.