Non-E Question: Email Migration

Started by AmberStarfire, July 10, 2016, 09:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberStarfire

I recently changed hosts to save some money, as my yearly contract was almost up. The new host has a panel called 'Odin Panel'. I've got the web sites transferred and set up, but I'm not sure about my emails. I changed my domain nameservers over, so the sites are active, and I created the emails again for my domains (I have 7 email addresses on there). The emails should be active now on the new host, but I have gzipped downloads/backups of my mail from the old host that I was hoping to move to the new hosting company and upload.

There seems to be no option to do this on the panel and little advice from the new hosting company other than on the web and offering transferral services, which I would rather not pay for. If need be I can let the old emails go (most emails would remain in Outlook anyway). I'm guessing this is just a matter of uploading and uncompressing them into the right folder, but I'm not sure if it's that simple or not.

Vekseid

Well if you send a test mail to yourself you'll know if that's working.

Migrating old emails to a shared host... good luck? : /

As I've mentioned, I spend more time administrating e-mail than every other aspect of site and server management combined. It is not simple.

AmberStarfire

Thanks Veks. :) I had a feeling it wouldn't be simple.

The emails seem to be working. I don't think I'm going to bother migrating the old emails (or trying to). I may have missed a few between the last time I checked those emails and moved hosts, but those aren't very active email accounts. There have been some important messages I don't want to lose but I have them in Outlook.

I remember you mentioning the complexity of administering the email before. What makes it so time-consuming if I may ask?