You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 12:10:47 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Pathfinder Kingdom Building (interest check)  (Read 2005 times)

Offline AutocadTopic starter

Pathfinder Kingdom Building (interest check)
« on: July 04, 2016, 08:16:59 PM »
Interest check for a kingdom building game based on Pathfinder's kingdom building rules.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/kingdom-building

It could be based on Kingmaker book 2 or something homebrew.

Players get to be in positions of power like being ruler, general, spymaster, etc., all that good stuff.

A turn would be a month run using the kingdom rules, with a small event (perhaps one encounter's worth) each turn for the personal touch.

Feel free to chime in with interest or suggestions.

Offline Jaded

Re: Pathfinder Kingdom Building (interest check)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 09:53:43 PM »
I would potentially be interested.  Is Kingmaker similar to the Ultimate Campaign version?
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/kingdomsAndWar.html

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
Would the characters start off with wresting the kingdom for themselves, or will they be starting already in charge of a kingdom? Or a little of both, "you're in charge, now go build a kingdom"?

Offline Mantis Shrimp Prime

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 01:22:50 AM »
Could possibly go for this. It depends.

Offline Tamhansen

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
I would potentially be interested.  Is Kingmaker similar to the Ultimate Campaign version?

The kingmaker rules were the original version of the UC rules, but they were hastily written, and rather unbalanced. Smart groups could swarm over the map within two years. The UC rules made it better, but not perfect. Later a third party book came out. Ultimate rulership, which balanced it even further.

But basically all three are in essence the same.

Offline National Acrobat

• Elliquiy's Resident Heavy Metallurgist
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Black candles burn, all minds aligned
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 11:57:34 AM »
Potentially interested depending on setup, etc.

Offline Dilaculo

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
I'd like to express my interest as well! And point out that, yes, the system got a bit more coverage in Ultimate Campaign, alongside other rules for Downtime.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 05:41:53 PM »
The Ultimate Campaign version of the rules will be used. The setting / geography / plot can be based on Kingmaker or it can be homebrew, depending on popular consensus.

Would the characters start off with wresting the kingdom for themselves, or will they be starting already in charge of a kingdom? Or a little of both, "you're in charge, now go build a kingdom"?
The party starts off having just accomplished a deed of great heroism, and as a reward are granted relatively uncivilized land to build up into a vassal kingdom by an existing power.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 07:58:44 PM »
Potentially interested as well.  I've never played Kingmaker nor used the Kingdom rules in UC so this would be me learning it.

Offline CirclMastr

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 12:26:46 AM »
I'd be interested in giving this a shot.

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 12:37:25 AM »
The Ultimate Campaign version of the rules will be used. The setting / geography / plot can be based on Kingmaker or it can be homebrew, depending on popular consensus.
The party starts off having just accomplished a deed of great heroism, and as a reward are granted relatively uncivilized land to build up into a vassal kingdom by an existing power.

Alright! So long as we get to do soem adventuring and it's not just a text-based RTS, I'm in

Offline Chaeronea

• Lord
  • Enchanted
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 06:06:23 AM »
Potentially interested. I don't have much experience with Pathfinder, but I've heard it's very similar to D&D 3.5 (with which I have quite a bit of experience). What levels would our characters start at? And would they get to do adventuring as well as managing the kingdom?

Offline National Acrobat

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 06:20:55 AM »

Ok, definitely interested.

Offline Tamhansen

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »
This sounds amazingly interesting.

Offline Soveliss

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
I'd be interested in playing a bookwormy witch (as in, the class from the Advanced Player's guide) who would be running the kingdom's financial books, if everyone's okay with that. Else, I'll find another concept.

Offline PhantomPistoleer

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 04:43:22 PM »
When I played Kingmaker, my group loathed the kingdom building process because it usually came down to one person calling all the shots.  However, things really picked up when everyone got their own city to develop.

Offline Tamhansen

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 04:58:35 PM »
I think it depends. I loved the system, and our group really spread the workload, which made the city so much better.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 05:50:01 PM »
I could do this.. Kingmaker is one of the APs that keep dying on me. :D

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 02:54:24 AM »
Woot, glad to see a healthy amount of interest in this.

So, getting into more gritty details, if you are seriously interested can you post the following for my count :

1) What role from the rules do you want to play? Choose only one please. You can change later if there is overlap between players.
2) For those who want to play the Ruler, if the spot is not available, would you settle for a nonruler role, or would you rather be Ruler of your own small fief separate from the others?

Offline Jaded

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 03:00:12 AM »
1) Probably Magister.  A Wizard, Witch, or Sorceress as the class I am thinking.

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 03:32:58 AM »
It's kind of hard to say right off the bat - I would tend to place role after the character itself. And to build a character, it helps to have an idea of the setting. Several are tempting; High Priest is always fun, since it really lets you nudge your way into the character of the kingdom. But I'm honestly feeling more of a "cunning" angle for this, I want to do some of the politicking. Which points towards Spymaster or Grand Diplomat.

It's hard to pick one; but between the two I think the Grand Diplomat role would have more... function? while we're getting things established, and builds nicely. Spymaster feels more like a "late game" role - I mean when you're just starting a kingdom, what's the spymaster keeping tabs on, five gremlisn who keep stealing socks?

So, grand diplomat for me; I'd be willing to trade if someone else wants it bad, though  ;D Also, is it possible to double up, i.e, be an influential position and a "minor" one like Consort or Royal Enforcer (the ones with no penalty if you're missing it)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:34:32 AM by Chulanowa »

Offline Soveliss

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 03:35:16 AM »
As I said, I was thinking a bookworm witch treasurer, but I am open to changing if there are too many arcane magic users in the party.

Offline Tamhansen

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 03:45:47 AM »
I'd love to play diplomat or if not taken the ruler. Have a brilliant oracle that could fit either role.

Offline swordwind

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 05:13:08 AM »
Interested.

Offline National Acrobat

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 05:52:21 AM »
I'd want to play a cavalier or knight type, so someone who is head of the guard, responsible for enforcing edicts, parsing out justice, serving as guard or hand for non-martial types who go forth representing the ruler on official business, etc. Court Knight or something similar.