You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 02:28:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Avira problem  (Read 222 times)

Offline SerephinoTopic starter

Avira problem
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:11:53 AM »
I got on this morning and logged onto E.  Then if I tried to click on anything I got redirected to Avira's upgrade website... the European one...  It got worse.  It got so I couldn't do anything without my browser opening with several tabs of Avira update page that would not close unless I went to the task manager and did it that way.  Removing Avira seems to have fixed it, but now I don't have antivirus.  What the hell....

Offline midnightblack

Re: Avira problem
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 09:41:35 AM »
I haven't used Avira personally, but I think it's a bit self-understood nowadays that "free" software that also comes with a "pro" upgrade will annoy the living daylight out of you in an attempt to take your money (or inject adware and other obnoxious things in your system to compensate).

I've been using avg free edition as an antivirus for better than a decade now and while the devs behind that product have been resorting to some not-so-chivalrous tactics as well, it's been nothing close to what you are describing. Then again, an antivirus won't really help out as far as online security goes if you have bad Internet habits. As long as you have a firewall on, a decent set of plugins in your browser to block scripts & ads and don't click on fishy links, you should actually be fine.

Offline Lilias

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:33:05 AM »
I got rid of Avira after it failed to complete its sweeps for several days in a row (sweeps that slowed everything to a crawl for hours). I replaced it with Bitdefender, which is literally no-maintenance, and have been browsing happily and safely ever since.

Online Caedy

• ~ Keeper of the Plot Bunnies ~ Delightfully Devious ~ Vibrant Visionary ~ #Terribad ~ #NeverToBlame ~ Addicted to Words ~ Tea vs. Coffee ~ Sinfully Sweet ~ More innocent than Nic #Always
  • Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • Bite that tattoo on your shoulder
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:09:48 PM »
I have been using avast for years and have had no problem.  I used Avaria for maybe 6 months or so several years ago and was never actually satisfied with it, thus my switch to Avast.

Online Nicholas

• Mr. Nice Guy (or so I am told) :-) Jag's Mulder *muse crack* Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) King of Terrible. Always innocent despite what Caedy says. Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • #JeSuisUnAnge #ReallyIAm #BlameMads
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:49:33 PM »
Yep. I only can recommend Avast. It's a very good protection and for free!