You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

April 15, 2021, 05:55:48 am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Welcome to the New Doormat  (Read 360304 times)

Offline Jeanne

Re: Welcome to the New Doormat
« Reply #8700 on: November 09, 2019, 11:40:33 am »
Ah the doormatt, the scary giant thread! ;)

The coldest I've been in was -18. It's very, very cold. It makes you wish you didn't have a dog so you can stay inside. Especially when said dog, after insisting on the walkies, then gets snow stuck between her paws and wants you to carry her back home when you're at the furthest point from your house :| At that temperature, your eyelashes get white and frosty if you stay out too long.

I'm very curious about Linda now. But I should give you a fair warning, I'm a harsh critic by profession, I hope that doesn't put you off. ^^" I think female/male fantasy characters are pretty interesting from the classic "psychoanalysing the writer" perspective, but I tend to be more interested in reader response theory. Now we're getting technical, so I'll stop myself there.

I have seen Priscilla Queen of the Desert, but it's been too long, I hardly remember anything. May or may not have been slightly drunk at the time too... I think I thought it was a fun movie. Need to see it again, clearly!

Male/Female Gait:
That would be an interesting question, if I remember correctly, they said it was mainly due to women having a lower centre of gravity. I will see if I can dig up the paper for you! Your walk probably changes at least a little; unconsciously mimicking something like that would come more naturally than consciously writing about it - at least that would be my unprofessional hypothesis.

Mhhm I agree that women and men tend to experience emotions very differently both chemically and culturally. My husband says he always knows when I'm in the middle of my cycle, haha! At risk of sounding like my doctoral supervisor, "there is a thesis in this". Someone should do an intercultural comparative study, I would read it. So hard to get funding for interdisciplinary research though...

Well, my pet theory is: people who don't like chocolate don't like joy :P Or at least not sensual, physical enjoyment. Or maybe their taste buds are broken, that's another explanation. On the other hand, the less people like chocolate, the more for us!

Offline Nico

• They/Them. Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) #Terrible #SorryNotSorry #MuseCrack. #NSFShades #EclipseTwin #Mulder #Moriarty #WAT - Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Centurion
  • Incarnal
  • #JeSuisUnAnge #Coffee #IWantToBelieve
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #8701 on: November 09, 2019, 01:09:43 pm »
~peeks in and waves~ Happy Weekend everyone! :-)

Offline Obsidian Isolabella

• ~❣~ Goddess of Black Glass ~❣~ Mistress of Procrastination ~❣~
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Delicious combination of wicked and sweet
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #8702 on: November 09, 2019, 01:24:58 pm »
*Drops by to leave cookies, coffee, and tea for everyone*

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend so far!

Online Al Terego

« Reply #8703 on: November 09, 2019, 01:33:05 pm »
Hello there Jeanne!

Ah the doormatt, the scary giant thread! ;)

No no no, it's the fuzzy fluffy warm and cuddly thread.  Yes.  Definitely.  *nods*

The coldest I've been in was -18. It's very, very cold. It makes you wish you didn't have a dog so you can stay inside. Especially when said dog, after insisting on the walkies, then gets snow stuck between her paws and wants you to carry her back home when you're at the furthest point from your house :| At that temperature, your eyelashes get white and frosty if you stay out too long.

The lowest temperature I have experienced was -25.  The coldest it felt like, wind chill factor included, was around -40.  Immigrating to Canada from a warm Mediterranean country made all the more fun  :)

It's now a balmy +2 outside (feels like -2), I didn't even bother zipping my jacket when I needed to go outside.

Well, my pet theory is: people who don't like chocolate don't like joy :P Or at least not sensual, physical enjoyment. Or maybe their taste buds are broken, that's another explanation. On the other hand, the less people like chocolate, the more for us!

Damn, almost forgot...

Chocolates for everyone!

Offline Merry Gentry

« Reply #8704 on: November 13, 2019, 07:45:07 pm »
sneaks some chocolates  welcome! 

Offline Jeanne

« Reply #8705 on: November 14, 2019, 06:12:02 am »
Thank you for the welcome and especially the chocolates <3

-40 sounds like a frozen hell. The kind of weather where you don't even consider going outside unless it's a matter of life or death! If it were that cold here, I'd just let me dog play in the garden for a day, sorry buddy, no walkies when we might freeze to death.

I'm trying to write my Ons/Offs thread but I feel like whenever I start, I delete everything again. How did everyone else find first writing that?

Online CrownedSun

• God of the Sun ~ Rawr ~ Melpomenian ~ A lil' Broken ~ Dweller within the Hot Tub
  • Legate
  • Addict
  • Rawwwr!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #8706 on: November 14, 2019, 06:16:32 am »
I'm having a hard enough time here in Florida with, like, 53 degrees. :-(

So, yeah, -40 sounds really really hard to deal with.

Online Al Terego

« Reply #8707 on: November 14, 2019, 08:12:30 am »
Thank you for the welcome and especially the chocolates <3

-40 sounds like a frozen hell. The kind of weather where you don't even consider going outside unless it's a matter of life or death! If it were that cold here, I'd just let me dog play in the garden for a day, sorry buddy, no walkies when we might freeze to death.

Sorry people, Celsius, not Fahrenheit.
We're metric.

I'm trying to write my Ons/Offs thread but I feel like whenever I start, I delete everything again. How did everyone else find first writing that?

*shrugs* It took forever for me.  I'm not too happy with it but I dread the thought of rewriting it.

Online Hrairoo

« Reply #8708 on: November 15, 2019, 05:04:41 pm »
Indeed. This is really intimidating. Feeling a little overwhelmed. Worried that I might miss something. I think the wait for approval might give me time to feel less drowned.

Online CrownedSun

• God of the Sun ~ Rawr ~ Melpomenian ~ A lil' Broken ~ Dweller within the Hot Tub
  • Legate
  • Addict
  • Rawwwr!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8709 on: November 15, 2019, 05:16:36 pm »
We're metric.

Amusing fact, -40 Celsius and -40 Fahrenheit add up to the same temperature. XD

This wouldn't be true with -41^C (which is -41.8^F), or -39^C (-38.2^F).

But, it is for -40.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 05:17:52 pm by CrownedSun »

Offline Jeanne

« Reply #8710 on: November 16, 2019, 03:05:05 am »

We're metric.

*shrugs* It took forever for me.  I'm not too happy with it but I dread the thought of rewriting it.

Metric here too ;P British people are sensible! And glad to hear someone else took forever too

And true, didn't even think about them being the same 😅
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 03:07:39 am by Jeanne »

Online CrownedSun

• Legate
  • Addict
  • Rawwwr!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8711 on: November 16, 2019, 08:11:44 am »
And true, didn't even think about them being the same 😅

I will admit, that made me giggle a bit more than is probably healthy. :-)

Offline Mikhail Gorbechev

« Reply #8712 on: November 16, 2019, 02:45:14 pm »
Howdy, folks! Is there a glossary of some sort where I can bone up on the lingo of these here boards? I confess, some of it is a little abstruse for me.

Kind regards,
Mike

Online Al Terego

« Reply #8713 on: November 16, 2019, 03:15:59 pm »
Welcome to Elliquiy, comrade!

The official list of words, terms and phrases approved by the politburo is still being compiled, but feel free to ask and we'll have a commissar address all of your questions.

Offline Nowherewoman

• No fantasy is large enough to contain my dreams.
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • If death doesn't get you, the life surely will.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #8714 on: November 16, 2019, 03:26:14 pm »
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

*dives into the pool*

Online Al Terego

« Reply #8715 on: November 16, 2019, 07:09:20 pm »
*Sings the Internationale*

Wait, there's a pool???

*Dives after En*

Online Hrairoo

« Reply #8716 on: November 16, 2019, 11:55:38 pm »
Hopefully it's an indoor pool. It is November, after all.

Offline Jeanne

« Reply #8717 on: November 17, 2019, 01:56:08 am »
I will admit, that made me giggle a bit more than is probably healthy. :-)

How could it be unhealthy to giggle? Endorphins are good for you! :D

Edit: Indoor pool or not, it's so cold and dark here, the only water you'll get me into is a bathtub or hot tub. Or maybe a hot spring, that's my compromise
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:57:30 am by Jeanne »

Offline BlueOrange

« Reply #8718 on: November 18, 2019, 08:10:09 am »
I reckon the most important concepts are probably ‘ons and offs’ (things that turn you on and turn you off). And I quite like ‘squick’, which doesn’t seem to get a lot of use on E, but you can use it in a sentence like “I get that you like water sports, but they squick me, so I’ll be going somewhere else now.”

Offline Jeanne

« Reply #8719 on: November 19, 2019, 11:47:15 am »
but isn't that what the profile laundry list is for, while the post is more for everything not covered there? Or do you just cover the same things again? *hmm*

Offline BlueOrange

« Reply #8720 on: November 19, 2019, 01:24:54 pm »
I don’t look at the ‘my roleplaying preferences’ thing anymore. I find that on and off posts cover that ground pretty well, and tend to convey nuance.

Offline Jeanne

« Reply #8721 on: November 20, 2019, 04:42:36 am »
Sounds like it's time for my first O/O edit then X) I pretty much only covered things outside of the "roleplaying preferences" thing.
I had to look up "squick" by the way, very useful!

Offline BlueOrange

« Reply #8722 on: November 20, 2019, 06:28:54 am »
Glad to be of service :)

I searched up your O/O post, and I like it. You come across as friendly, and people are helped to decide about writing with you. ‘‘Tis a good idea to link to it, either using ‘my thread’ (forum settings) or your signature.

Offline Nico

• They/Them. Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) #Terrible #SorryNotSorry #MuseCrack. #NSFShades #EclipseTwin #Mulder #Moriarty #WAT - Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Centurion
  • Incarnal
  • #JeSuisUnAnge #Coffee #IWantToBelieve
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #8723 on: November 20, 2019, 10:46:46 am »
~peeks in and leaves coffees~

Happy Hump Day and good luck with the approval!

Offline Truffles

« Reply #8724 on: November 30, 2019, 06:51:58 am »
HAPPY SATURDAY EVERYONE!!!!

*leaves tons and tons of homemade cinnamon rolls*