You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 03:59:12 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Welcome to the New Doormat  (Read 18547 times)

Offline klugario

Re: Welcome to the New Doormat
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 01:13:45 PM »
Yes virtual food being calorie free is a bonus. *puts out a fresh New York style extra large cheese pizza and grabs a slice*

Offline dblkrose

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 01:20:24 PM »
Since we all started talking about Virtual Reality and I had a long morning full of Flights I started thinking (always dangerous) and came up with something I would like to share with anyone in this forum and ask a Question afterwards. This is not a RP request but just sort of a question like the ones I've been asked in my application thread. Hopefully I am not breaking any rules here so please let me know if I am.

So here the story...

In the not so distance future a bio-corporation has announced it has discovered a way to upload the human consciousness into a AI. At first this is met with skepticism but the corporations pushes its discovery and before long (and after some ingenious lobbying) gets the nod to offer this opportunity to normal ever day citizens. What they claim is that they are able to take your actual consciousness and upload it into cloud base server where you will exist in a virtual paradise with creation of your hearts desires are simply an exercise of will and the allocation of data and space. While in this virtual world you will be task at running some of the worlds most advance applications giving a service back to your fellow humans. When not doing this you will be free to interact with other AI in a virtual world where you will be allocated a set amount of space to do with as you please. The project is called the Second Life Initiative and it's only offered currently in America. One of the main reason that this is being allowed by the US government is that the creation of AI is inevitable but we are much safer with AI that use to be human than AI that never was. Doing it this way avoid the whole Skynet problem.

Now here are some key points.

- This process is irreversible and your physical body is destroyed during the upload (at least your brain is).
- It has been announced that the process is not 100 percent successful and those who are not successful upload are simply dead.
- It takes more than a month to prepare for this procedure and it can not be performed any faster than that which means you can not just upload yourself while lying dying in a hospital. Your brain and more importantly your mind has to be made ready and this can not be done if your are in pain or under duress in any way.
- Diseases, damaged to the brain, mental degradation from old age and mental defects make you unable to survive the process (probably rules me out as much as I been told I have a mental defect)
- You are allowed only once time shortly after upload to talk to your living family and friends to say goodbye and to prove to those worried about you that you are all right. After that you have very limited contact with the physically living that doesn't involve your virtual job.   
- There are those who object to this from various religious groups who believe we are stealing the human soul from God, to psychologist and scientist who believe that the AI created isn't truly the original person who in effects dies during the process but an inhuman copy of that person. Some believe that the failure rate is higher than they are let on. Other's believe that the lack of contact with the AI after the procedure makes it highly possible that the Second Life isn't all it's crack up to be and might actually be a prison for the mind.
- Lastly you have to make this decision when your mind is at it's peak which differs from person to person but comes down to you have to make this decision before your real life is actually truly over.

So armed with this knowledge would you go thru the procedure yourself? Do you agree it's ethical and if you don't would you try to stop it?

Very interested in the feedback.

Offline OreoTopic starter

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 01:28:46 PM »
That is interesting dblkrose, but would be better suited for Off Topic. ; ) If you post it there I'll give the answer a whirl.

Offline dblkrose

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »
Okay Oreo, it's posted in off topic under the title would you live in a Virtual World. I don't know how to grab the link.

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 01:48:53 PM »
You found it. : )

Offline RampantDesires

• Certified Sass-hat ❣ Tumblr Junkie ❣ Goddess of Code ❣ Least Helpful Helper ❣ Queen of Procrastination
  • Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • As reason clouds my eyes with splendor fading
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 06:31:16 AM »
Today feels like an extra cup of coffee day (that's right, four instead of three!)

I always feel a little bad when people give me fancy coffee with designs in it.  All of that work and then I just, well, devour it without spending much time appreciating the time and art that went into it. 

I hope y'all are doing well!

Offline Deamonbane

• A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Make me smile...
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2016, 10:38:54 AM »

*leaves some Doughnuts to go with the coffee*

Offline whimsy

• Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • give them a fight that will open their eyes
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »
coffee is gross but i really enjoy the designs on top and wish i could replicate my favourites; as for the donuts, man i love donuts but i'm currently on keto and can't have anything that sugary or carb-y and it makes me sad because HOT DAMN THOSE DONUTS LOOK AMAZING

/drool

Offline Caitryn

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »
Just wanted to pop in and say hello after finishing my Intro thread.

So...Hello :)

Offline dblkrose

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »
Hello Caitryn and welcome!

Offline whimsy

• Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2016, 07:51:59 PM »
heya caitryn! :D

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2016, 09:06:51 PM »
Hi Caitryn, welcome to the site. *waves*

Offline RampantDesires

• Certified Sass-hat ❣ Tumblr Junkie ❣ Goddess of Code ❣ Least Helpful Helper ❣ Queen of Procrastination
  • Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • As reason clouds my eyes with splendor fading
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 06:22:34 AM »
Yes! Doughnuts :D I like the green one that looks like it has a chocolate sprinkles beard!  The best thing about virtual food is that it is compliant with any diet whimsy.  I wish you luck with yours though.  Sugar and carbs, so very addicting. 

Congrats on making it to Friday.  Here's hoping the day goes well for everyone!

Online Caedy

• ~ Keeper of the Plot Bunnies ~ Delightfully Devious ~ Vibrant Visionary ~ #Terribad ~ #NeverToBlame ~ Addicted to Words ~ Tea vs. Coffee ~ Sinfully Sweet ~ More innocent than Nic #Always
  • Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • Naughty. Nerdy. Pansexual.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 08:34:34 AM »
Wheels in the waffle bar for this fantastic Friday morning.

Offline whimsy

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »
WAFFLE BAR?!

welp it's official: i came here for the writing and am staying for the amazing virtual breakfasts

How is everyone's Friday so far?

Offline dblkrose

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 12:30:54 PM »
Good and yourself? I'm glad to be home early for a change! Pass the syrup please.

Offline whimsy

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2016, 02:30:29 PM »
things are fairly good over her! i'm just about to tackle some of the prompts in my intro thread :D

/tosses over the syrup

Online Nicholas

• Mr. Nice Guy (or so I am told) :-) Jag's Mulder *muse crack* Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) King of Terrible. Always innocent despite what Caedy says. Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • #JeSuisUnAnge #ReallyIAm #BlameMads
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »
Happy Weekend everyone! :-)

Offline Haloriel

• Original Beauty | Alluring Erudite | Perfervid Romanticist
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Location: Ogling your gluteus maximus with a most respectful air, of course. One part devious.
  • Dance with me, darling. I'll show you the stars.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »
<3 Hey Nick! Long time no bounce in this chat, says I. Greetings dear prospectives!  Hopefully you're all having tons of fun!~

Offline dblkrose

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2016, 12:28:18 PM »
things are fairly good over her! i'm just about to tackle some of the prompts in my intro thread :D

/tosses over the syrup

Lol Enjoy those Prompts. Looking forward to you getting approved.

Online Caedy

• ~ Keeper of the Plot Bunnies ~ Delightfully Devious ~ Vibrant Visionary ~ #Terribad ~ #NeverToBlame ~ Addicted to Words ~ Tea vs. Coffee ~ Sinfully Sweet ~ More innocent than Nic #Always
  • Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • Naughty. Nerdy. Pansexual.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2016, 04:22:23 PM »
Happy Saturday!!!

Who wants cinnamon roll cheesecake?

Offline whimsy

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »
@dblkrose
hey thanks! i'm really looking forward to roleplay with everyone. and grats on being accepted, by the way!

@caedy
JUST SHUT UP AND PUT IT IN MY MOUTH

Offline Ariel

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2016, 06:04:07 PM »
*giggles at whimsy and waves to everyone* hello and welcome!

Online Wispyr

• Story Keeper ♦ Dragon Tamer ♦ Jewel Bearer ♦ Imp Wispyrer ♦
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • The Weaver of Words
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »
That looks so good Caedy... Holy jeez... @_@

Offline Stone

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman, baby, for a buck. For a buck.
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Shedding every value our mothers taught.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2016, 01:00:53 AM »
This place moves fast. Hello, folks.  O8)