Since we all started talking about Virtual Reality and I had a long morning full of Flights I started thinking (always dangerous) and came up with something I would like to share with anyone in this forum and ask a Question afterwards. This is not a RP request but just sort of a question like the ones I've been asked in my application thread. Hopefully I am not breaking any rules here so please let me know if I am.
So here the story...
In the not so distance future a bio-corporation has announced it has discovered a way to upload the human consciousness into a AI. At first this is met with skepticism but the corporations pushes its discovery and before long (and after some ingenious lobbying) gets the nod to offer this opportunity to normal ever day citizens. What they claim is that they are able to take your actual consciousness and upload it into cloud base server where you will exist in a virtual paradise with creation of your hearts desires are simply an exercise of will and the allocation of data and space. While in this virtual world you will be task at running some of the worlds most advance applications giving a service back to your fellow humans. When not doing this you will be free to interact with other AI in a virtual world where you will be allocated a set amount of space to do with as you please. The project is called the Second Life Initiative and it's only offered currently in America. One of the main reason that this is being allowed by the US government is that the creation of AI is inevitable but we are much safer with AI that use to be human than AI that never was. Doing it this way avoid the whole Skynet problem.
Now here are some key points.
- This process is irreversible and your physical body is destroyed during the upload (at least your brain is).
- It has been announced that the process is not 100 percent successful and those who are not successful upload are simply dead.
- It takes more than a month to prepare for this procedure and it can not be performed any faster than that which means you can not just upload yourself while lying dying in a hospital. Your brain and more importantly your mind has to be made ready and this can not be done if your are in pain or under duress in any way.
- Diseases, damaged to the brain, mental degradation from old age and mental defects make you unable to survive the process (probably rules me out as much as I been told I have a mental defect)
- You are allowed only once time shortly after upload to talk to your living family and friends to say goodbye and to prove to those worried about you that you are all right. After that you have very limited contact with the physically living that doesn't involve your virtual job.
- There are those who object to this from various religious groups who believe we are stealing the human soul from God, to psychologist and scientist who believe that the AI created isn't truly the original person who in effects dies during the process but an inhuman copy of that person. Some believe that the failure rate is higher than they are let on. Other's believe that the lack of contact with the AI after the procedure makes it highly possible that the Second Life isn't all it's crack up to be and might actually be a prison for the mind.
- Lastly you have to make this decision when your mind is at it's peak which differs from person to person but comes down to you have to make this decision before your real life is actually truly over.
So armed with this knowledge would you go thru the procedure yourself? Do you agree it's ethical and if you don't would you try to stop it?
Very interested in the feedback.