You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 04:01:50 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP, ALL CHARACTERS WELCOME!  (Read 19112 times)

Offline Vergil TannerTopic starter

Hey there! Good to see somebody new interested in the game!

Weird question, but...I recognise your Username. Do you happen to write on House Eros at all? I just knew a Blackjack about a year ago, back when I was on that site, and was wondering if there was any connection.

However, it's time to "Vet" your character! Don't be offended if I savage it a little, I tend to do it to everybody :P

So...if she's 20, how is she still in High School? Is she a TA? Did she get held back a couple of years?

POWER THEME: Geokinesis. Can manipulate the earth, use her powers to stop earthquakes or volcanos if needed to. However, so far she can only manage it on small spaces, such as half of a football field. She can only do it when focusing intently on it as well.

Ok, so, as per usual I will need some defined limits on this. So, at her "maximum potential," how much earth can she control at any one time, if she were to strain herself and push herself to her absolute limits? How high can she make the earth rise, how powerful an earthquake can she stop, how powerful an earthquake could she cause, what kind of versatility does this control have (EG, can she make the earth float, or must it still obey gravity, and can she make shapes out of solid rock or just raise it in simple shapes?), what is the range of her abilities, what kind of limitations does it have? And since this is a Day One game, where do you see her starting? Like, what would your answers to the above questions be for her "Novice level" skill?

The more space she clears/modifies, the more exhausted she gets. As an example, could easily break a handful of dirt with no real issue, but as the size increases, the more fatigue sets in. After she’s finished, she becomes hungry, sleepy and can become disorientated if she used her skills to abnormal levels.

Are there any extra side effects? Like, if she pushes herself too much, could she end up fainting or causing herself any serious damage?

Clubs: Drama, AV and Dungeons and Dragons.
Part time job: Delivery driver for local take-out pizza place
Plays PC a lot, wants to be a twitch streamer so she never has to get an actual job.

Ok, so you mentioned she's into sports a little. What kind of sports is she interested in? Does she play for any teams, or at least go to the practice?

Offline Blackjack

Weird question, but...I recognise your Username. Do you happen to write on House Eros at all? I just knew a Blackjack about a year ago, back when I was on that site, and was wondering if there was any connection.

The very same! I got sick of the drama that board seemed to always have so I stuck around on here instead!

So...if she's 20, how is she still in High School? Is she a TA? Did she get held back a couple of years?

Honestly, I wasn't that aware that 20 would be that improbable. I'll reduce it down to 18.

Ok, so, as per usual I will need some defined limits on this. So, at her "maximum potential," how much earth can she control at any one time, if she were to strain herself and push herself to her absolute limits? How high can she make the earth rise, how powerful an earthquake can she stop, how powerful an earthquake could she cause, what kind of versatility does this control have (EG, can she make the earth float, or must it still obey gravity, and can she make shapes out of solid rock or just raise it in simple shapes?), what is the range of her abilities, what kind of limitations does it have? And since this is a Day One game, where do you see her starting? Like, what would your answers to the above questions be for her "Novice level" skill?

At her maximum potential, without any extra strain such as buildings on top of the ground, Miranda will be able to shake and lift/drop a space of 30 feet squared. With extra weight, it would depend on what it is. She can make the ground lift/drop but she would not be able to lift it up and use it as a projectile. She could certainly manage tremors with no problem, with actual quakes, she would be able to manage 5-6 on the richter scale while focusing intensely on it. With her starting, I think she would be able to manage breaking and shaking a handful of dirt and with some practice she would be able to manipulate a space of a couple of feet squared.

Are there any extra side effects? Like, if she pushes herself too much, could she end up fainting or causing herself any serious damage?

She's yet to push herself THAT hard yet but if she were to try and push past her abilities it would certainly make her faint and possibly risk brain damage or aneurysms.

Ok, so you mentioned she's into sports a little. What kind of sports is she interested in? Does she play for any teams, or at least go to the practice?

She plays tennis at the school, purely in friendly games. Interested in soccer and enjoys watching baseball games.

Offline Vergil1989

• Gozer the Gozarian.
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Win a thousand fights, but you can only lose one.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Tennis?  Buffy used to play tennis.  She hasn't played for a while, but for the right person she might be convinced to pick up a racket again.  ;D  Lol sorry, nice to meet you BJ, I'm also one of the newguys around this particular game belonging to our mutual friend here.

Offline Blackjack

Sounds like Miranda has a new bestie then! :D Nice to meet you too Vergil! I look forward to seeing you in-game!

Offline Vergil1989

• Gozer the Gozarian.
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
Lol Buffy is more the MMA, hands on badass intellectual type perhaps, but I don't mind if they have the occasional game of tennis together.  Besides, between her TK and your gal's geomancy stuff, they'd be a pretty badass team I wager.  It would take Buffy a while to get up to a strength level that would allow her to hold up platforms of earth or anything, but I'm sure they could figure something out.  ;D

The very same! I got sick of the drama that board seemed to always have so I stuck around on here instead!

Same here...it has some good writers on there, but I found some of the practices obnoxious, and I don't get on with Eros, so...
Anyway, how ya been, man? :D

Honestly, I wasn't that aware that 20 would be that improbable. I'll reduce it down to 18.

Hmm...maybe 17, about to turn 18? Otherwise, we'd have to say that she'd been held back a year and we already have three characters being held back a year. Four would be pushing it a little ;) Not a major detail, granted, but one that would bug me regardless :P

At her maximum potential, without any extra strain such as buildings on top of the ground, Miranda will be able to shake and lift/drop a space of 30 feet squared. With extra weight, it would depend on what it is. She can make the ground lift/drop but she would not be able to lift it up and use it as a projectile. She could certainly manage tremors with no problem, with actual quakes, she would be able to manage 5-6 on the richter scale while focusing intensely on it. With her starting, I think she would be able to manage breaking and shaking a handful of dirt and with some practice she would be able to manipulate a space of a couple of feet squared.

Ok, fair enough. And I assume that it increases the more she practices?
Also, just so you know, I wouldn't mind her being able to manipulate dust and dirt particles with more dexterity. That is, manipulating the individual grains with more finesse. Not straight away, more as an Intermediate Level, but if you wanted to go down that route a little I would be ok with that. As it is, it looks like you have a decent grasp of the balance and the relative powerscales (What's this? Somebody who read through and saw me saying "Not Marvel or DC" and took it on board?! Madness! :P ), so I don't see too much I need to tweak. Include that info in the bio, just so we can refer to it. In terms of range, how far away can she manipulate? Ten feet away? Twenty? Does she require line of sight?

She's yet to push herself THAT hard yet but if she were to try and push past her abilities it would certainly make her faint and possibly risk brain damage or aneurysms.

Well, she's yet to push herself at ALL, since in-game she only got the ability to use her powers yesterday, and they haven't even manifested properly yet :P

She plays tennis at the school, purely in friendly games. Interested in soccer and enjoys watching baseball games.

Okey dokey, so Tennis, maybe goes to Football practice (Come on, man! You're supposed to be in the UK for Chrissake! Stop adopting their terminology when we're right! :P ) and for some bizarre reason enjoys baseball. I can roll with that :D

So you say in the bio that she's shy and prefers to bury herself in her books...how shy is she? Does she never talk to other people? Because you might have a problem playing that kind of character, since this game is focused on group dynamics. Just giving you a heads up :P

Hey! Other Vergil! Stop pre-planning how to powergame while I'm conducting a player interview!
*hits with rolled up newspaper*
Bad! Bad!

Offline Vergil1989

• Gozer the Gozarian.
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
I'll happily shove that paper up your ass you keep hitting me with it Tanner lol.

You can try, but not in the Recruitment thread. Now quiet from the peanut gallery :P

Offline Blackjack

Same here...it has some good writers on there, but I found some of the practices obnoxious, and I don't get on with Eros, so...
Anyway, how ya been, man? :D

Yeah, same here. I had a partner vanish on me far too often so I ended up just jumping over here and now I'm doing well :P I'm good man! Still plugging away happily haha. Yourself?

Hmm...maybe 17, about to turn 18? Otherwise, we'd have to say that she'd been held back a year and we already have three characters being held back a year. Four would be pushing it a little ;) Not a major detail, granted, but one that would bug me regardless :P

17 about to turn 18 it is :P

Ok, fair enough. And I assume that it increases the more she practices?
Also, just so you know, I wouldn't mind her being able to manipulate dust and dirt particles with more dexterity. That is, manipulating the individual grains with more finesse. Not straight away, more as an Intermediate Level, but if you wanted to go down that route a little I would be ok with that. As it is, it looks like you have a decent grasp of the balance and the relative powerscales (What's this? Somebody who read through and saw me saying "Not Marvel or DC" and took it on board?! Madness! :P ), so I don't see too much I need to tweak. Include that info in the bio, just so we can refer to it. In terms of range, how far away can she manipulate? Ten feet away? Twenty? Does she require line of sight?

Yeah, she'll need to practice some more to get better with her abilities. Once she has more time with her skills, she can do more with the earth beneath her. Okay, what I will do is that if she can break down a large clump of dirt, she can cast it forward as if it were a shotgun pellet blast? I shall edit it on too. She needs to be able to see the dirt she'll be manipulating and the further away it is, the greater the strain too. Her current record is ten feet away.

Code: [Select]
Well, she's yet to push herself at ALL, since in-game she only got the ability to use her powers yesterday, and they haven't even manifested properly yet :P
True! But my point still stands :P

Okey dokey, so Tennis, maybe goes to Football practice (Come on, man! You're supposed to be in the UK for Chrissake! Stop adopting their terminology when we're right! :P ) and for some bizarre reason enjoys baseball. I can roll with that :D

Yeah, yeah! The school is in New York though so I figured that terminology would be the right one :P

So you say in the bio that she's shy and prefers to bury herself in her books...how shy is she? Does she never talk to other people? Because you might have a problem playing that kind of character, since this game is focused on group dynamics. Just giving you a heads up :P

She'll talk to people if engaged and will join in on class discussions but she won't go looking for it. Once she discovers the powers, she's going to be much better :P

Yeah, same here. I had a partner vanish on me far too often so I ended up just jumping over here and now I'm doing well :P I'm good man! Still plugging away happily haha. Yourself?

Eh, getting by, getting by. People tend to disappear a little bit here too, but nowhere near the frequency as on HoE. I prefer the layout here, too. Much easier to navigate, and easier on the eyes. XD
And at least here, I can mention HoE without getting banned :P I hope, anyway.

>.>
<.<
>.>

Yeah, she'll need to practice some more to get better with her abilities. Once she has more time with her skills, she can do more with the earth beneath her. Okay, what I will do is that if she can break down a large clump of dirt, she can cast it forward as if it were a shotgun pellet blast? I shall edit it on too.

Yhup! She can kick up a dust cloud or a sandcloud or something, but anything bigger than a grain of dirt, she can't negate gravity's pull on it. Sounds good! Just adds a little extra thing she can use in a pinch. "Miranda used Sand Attack! Foes accuracy fell!" >.>

She needs to be able to see the dirt she'll be manipulating and the further away it is, the greater the strain too. Her current record is ten feet away.[/size][/font]

Okey dokey! So, at her absolute maximum, what range would you say that would increase to?

Yeah, yeah! The school is in New York though so I figured that terminology would be the right one :P

I don't care where in America it is, it's still wrong :P :P XD

She'll talk to people if engaged and will join in on class discussions but she won't go looking for it. Once she discovers the powers, she's going to be much better :P

So, not a very extroverted person? Seems odd that she won't go looking for it and yet is a member of a D&D Group. :P

Either way, when you've made the above edits, I'll need to see a Writing Prompt from you and - once that's done - we'll be good to go :-)

Offline Vergil1989

• Gozer the Gozarian.
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
I think we're still looking for a couple of people for this.

Indeed we are!

Offline Jarick

Greets!  If this thread is still recruiting as it seems to be, here's a hat to throw in for your interest and examination.

NAME: Nadra Tahira Darzi

SEX: Female

ORIENTATION: Straight

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single

TYPE: Foreign Student

POWER THEME: Peak Human Physical Performance - if it's a feat worthy of an Olympic athlete or a world record holder, Nadra can replicate the deed.  Fast as Usain Bolt, limber as Simone Biles, with the strength of a weightlifter, the resilience of a kickboxer, and the stamina of a marathon runner.  This boost is limited to raw physical performance; anything that makes use of tools, psychological conditioning, training, education, or competitive skill is not directly affected this power (though she can lean on it significantly to affect her performance).

POWER/CHARACTER FLAW: At this time, Nadra can only call on her preternatural physical prowess for a little over twelve minutes in any given half-a-day, measured from sundown to sunup and again.  Moreover, while her powers are active, a silver-dollar-sized golden circle shines on her forehead, its light visible through anything but a solid inch of metal.  More personally, she is Not From Around Here; her English has a notable accent (though it's far better nowadays), and while she has been in the United States for a couple of years now, there are still parts of the country and culture that she only knows from movies and television.  Nadra is a follower, not a leader; she's capable of self-direction, but most of the time yields reflexively to the stronger will.  The only reliable exception in this tendency is that she is morally inflexible; she was raised within certain tremendously strict measures, and while she knows that human law is often unjust, she believes very much in the tenets and codes of Orthodox Christianity, and will not bend when she sees wrongdoing of this sort.

BIOGRAPHY:  Once, Syria was a beautiful country.  In generations past, her ancestors were free to practice their faith in freedom, and to hold office and learn much.  No, it hasn't been that way for a while -- but Nadra remembers it because her parents remember it, and it is one of the things that they mention almost every day at the dinner table.  The two of them met in university in the United States, both on international scholarships; the two of them became quite close, and once their marriage was approved by families, returned home with skills and degrees to enrich their country.  It was those same degrees that allowed them a chance to escape the civil war and ISIL; they had intended Nadra to come to the States so that she could learn, just not this young, not this impressionable...

Nadra knows they have doubled down on their strictness because of this, but she is a good child, and wishes to succeed, and make them proud.  She has friends and family back in the old country, and knows she is tremendously fortunate to have escaped their fate.  She is also more lonely than she wants to admit to anyone at all, and as such she does her best to fit in with the other kids in school on things like clothing, music, recreation, and the dozen other trivial details that nearly every teenager obsesses about in their own way.  Walking the line between Christian modesty and shameless Americanism is a difficult tightrope, but she's thus far managing it between schoolwork, church, and the friends she has made -- even if it's earned her a justified reputation as kind of lame and a definite stick-in-the-mud.  Now, if she could only get over her jealousy that her brothers are not getting the same restrictive treatment...

Miscellaneous:
- Nadra is a true believer.  She attends a local-ish Greek Orthodox church with her family every Sunday, and is a regular volunteer in the charity work that they do.  She also does what she can to help family and friends back home with surviving the ongoing war; it isn't much, but pennies count, and materials save lives.
- Although she is only seventeen, Nadra tested into a superior grade and has managed to keep up academically, despite her knowledge gaps in things like history.
- Nadra follows international football attentively.  She played when she was younger, but strictly for fun; the climate against women in sports was bad in Syria, and her parents have forbidden her from picking the sport back up in the States because they're afraid she might catch lesbianism.
- While Nadra does keep social media, she only accesses the related websites from school computers (her father watches her internet access like a hawk!), and she is usually a bit behind when it comes to this kind of thing.  To her silent vexation, her brothers (Amad, thirteen and Sadib, nine) are much less stringently-policed.
- Nadra is a native Arabic speaker, mostly fluent in English, and can translate French when she has a few seconds to think about it.
- While she knows how to drive, her parents have resisted getting her a vehicle of her own.  Maybe when she's off to university, they muse.

THEME SONG: (The player doesn't know the origin of this particular hymn, but it's a nice hold-through for the time because songs are so hard to nail down!)

Writing Sample Behind the Spoiler:
God preserve us from American History!
Nadra spent several moments staring at the white piece of paper in front of her before taking a moment to pinch the bridge of her nose with one hand and sigh, quietly, between her teeth.  The details of the World Wars were beginning to blend together in her head despite the nights of studying, quizzing herself, and practicing -- and she couldn't even blame Mr. Vance for this.  She was the one who wrote down the wrong chapter to read.  It was an innocent mistake; she'd been distracted, and only heard 'world war' when he meant World War 2.  The test should have been easy, but she'd been stupid, and --

She bit her lip for a moment, trying and somewhat succeeding at jarring herself from the endless train of self-recrimination.  She might be stupid, but she wasn't going to let that get in the way of doing as best she could, regardless.  If she could remember the stories the Americans told about the wars, she might be able to fake it.  Japan was definitely part of the Axis, because of the nuclear bombs, even if it had been friendly to the United States in the first war.  Germany was the enemy in both wars, even if they were heroes today.  England had not been an enemy of the States since... which war?  The revolution?  That sounded right.  And they had never had a war with France that she could remember.  And Russia had mostly been an ally in both wars, too.  There were battles fought in Italy, and the United States was fighting in them, but were they fighting there like they were fighting for the French, or was Italy part of the Axis?  It was one way in one war and another in the other.  If she'd been paying attention, she would have studied the right thing and -- no.  No, off of this track.

God, be kind to this pathetic soul, she murmured below her breath, eyes closing, remembering.  We all err.  It was arrogance to think yourself fit to judge your own worth, and sinful.  Leave it in the hands of God, take a breath, and work as best you can with what you know.

Nadra took that breath, held it for several seconds, and began her best round of educated guessing.  The worst she could do was fail the pre-test.  If she got a C in this class, it would not be the end of the world, no matter what her parents said -- but she would try for the A anyway.  It was only right.

Hmmm....interesting!  A couple of questions, if you please!

1) So, it says that she can only hold that boost for 12 minutes a day. Is that 12 minutes for each of her abilities - that is, 12 minutes for enhanced strength, 12 minutes for enhanced speed, etc etc - or is it 12 minutes overall? Like, she activates the boost and it activates ALL of her boosts, for a maximum of 12 minutes?

2) If the answer to the above is the latter, perhaps a higher time limit would be better to start with, since it IS a pretty massive downside, haha. And perhaps a future evolution of her power would be the ability to boost one trait on its own, in exchange for a lower "Limit Cost?"

3) You say it applies only to physical attributes. Does this include thought speed or reaction time, or memory? Or JUST things like speed, strength, agility, etc etc?

3) I'm just not sure the Silver Dollar is all that fitting to the game. I'm not sure how it connects with the rest of her power set, what the chain of logic is to that side effect, or if it suits the tone of WCBH. So...that might have to go, unfortunately, just because I don't really see a reason for it to be there at all given the rest of her abilities. XD

Offline Jarick

I love questions!

1) Twelve minutes of juice is for all the linked powers at once.  She can't separate the aspects of the boost; she is either The Best At Everything or she is plain ordinary everyday Nadra.

2) To some degree, the boost does reflect enhanced neural capacity, but only inasmuch as it would help her make use of her physicality -- thus it would improve reaction time and the coherence of reflexes, but not the coherence of her memory, or her ability to process intellectual/social data.  At game start, anyway.

3) The gold circle sign is there because I wanted there to be some overt marker when she's using her power -- something she can't really hide, but also something that doesn't substantially change her appearance.  If you'd prefer it out, I'm ultimately okay with that -- or if you have a better idea, I'm also open to suggestions.

Offline Vergil1989

• Gozer the Gozarian.
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
I'll say it now Jarick, I love Nadra lol.  I'll also say this though, Buffy and Nadra's parents will not be friendly with each other, at all.  She'd understand they come from a practically different world and everything where the beliefs and ways of life are vastly different, but I can tell you right now, Buffy would have a thing or two to say about their sexist based treatment of what Nadra does or doesn't do.  Lol sorry, just thought I'd throw that out there.  Nice to meet you by the way and I hope you enjoy your time here among us crazies.

If Tanner approves you, I play Buffy Black, the telekinetic badass of the group.

Offline Jarick

I knew I was going to need some internal tension to be here as anything more than merely present for shenanigans, and "what I was raised for" and "what I've learned I can expect out of life" being in conflict is an excellent way to get that started.  We can definitely talk if I get the go-ahead stamp.

Offline Vergil1989

• Gozer the Gozarian.
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
Well if nothing else, perhaps Buffy can show her you don't catch lesbianism from playing football lol.  Jokes aside, you're probably the most interesting person here right now truth be told, that might also be relatively active to boot, and I get what you're saying.  I probably should have done more in that respect myself but meh, I like my girl the way she is.  But at any rate, I'm glad you approve and sounds like a plan!  We have to have some kind of connection to most everyone that's active anyway, so once you're approved we can figure out stuff together.  See ya!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:44:37 AM by Vergil1989 »

1) Twelve minutes of juice is for all the linked powers at once.  She can't separate the aspects of the boost; she is either The Best At Everything or she is plain ordinary everyday Nadra.

Okey dokey...so that twelve minutes is cumulative over the course of the day and is recharged overnight. So...how would 10 minutes sound for the first week, increasing to 15 in the second week, and then eventually becoming a Hard Cap of 30 minutes or so?

2) To some degree, the boost does reflect enhanced neural capacity, but only inasmuch as it would help her make use of her physicality -- thus it would improve reaction time and the coherence of reflexes, but not the coherence of her memory, or her ability to process intellectual/social data.  At game start, anyway.

Hmm...not sure how thinking speed connects to reflexes.
In any case, it might improve her reflexes reaction time, but does it improve their reaction? Like, a lot of people have very quick reflexes, but they have no idea what to do so they flail or make the wrong reflexive choice. So just because her reflexes increase, does it mean that her ability to know what to do with those quicker reflexes increases, or do they remain the same? Like, if her first reaction would be to throw her arms up to shield her face when the best course of action would be to jump out of the way, would she jump out of the way, or just throw her arms up faster?

3) The gold circle sign is there because I wanted there to be some overt marker when she's using her power -- something she can't really hide, but also something that doesn't substantially change her appearance.  If you'd prefer it out, I'm ultimately okay with that -- or if you have a better idea, I'm also open to suggestions.

Whilst I got that intention, I just don't think it really fits the tone of the game, and I think it's a fairly harsh disadvantage to a power that's already very limited. So...I don't really view it as necessary, y'know?

Offline Jarick

Ten minutes to an eventual hard cap of thirty minutes sounds viable for now.  We can always play with the boundaries later on if we feel we need to.

Reaction time increased, but reaction usefulness is not necessarily so, correct.  Reaction usefulness -- the jumping to the side rather than the throwing the arms up, or turning in the direction of a spin rather than breaking and trying to turn the other direction when driving on slick ice -- would require actual training and/or practice, something which gives her a direction to go in the superhuman side of things.

So let the dot be gone!

Okey dokey, well!

Just a few more things:

1. How long has she been at MWH?

2. What does she specialise in, subject wise? Which "clique" would you place her with?

3. What unique thing do you see her bringing to the dynamic, and where do you see her fitting in? :-)

Offline Wolfy

Still looking for female characters? @-@

We're looking for characters in general! :D If you have an idea, feel free to pitch it! I'd love to see what you have in mind ^_^

Offline Jarick

Two years sounds about right to me -- long enough to have had the chance to made friends and be a relatively-known quantity, but still comparatively new enough that things still take her by surprise every once in a while.

Subject-wise... we'll say physical sciences.  Chem, Physics, that sort of applied STEM skillset.  She knows she'll have to pick one in university but right now she can take both so she's doing so.  Between this and her own background, she classifies uneasily as one of the smart kids; if there's a friendly-enough Christian-based group, she's with them too; if there's a significant international crowd, hangs out with them also.

Dynamic-wise, she's floating in a boat similar to Nuo's: fighting for the freedom to determine her own identity, but bound with stronger and less-visible (if looser) string.  By contrast, she's sociable, likes to talk to people, was raised with a lot smaller personal space bubble, and appreciates passion -- and would like to cultivate passion for life in others, as finding what you love is the second-best thing to actually going to church and participating in the Liturgy.  In the meantime, she thinks, maybe she can find something -she- is driven to do outside (or that is only somewhat related to) church.  I also see her as a very moral center, pushing people to do the (clearly-objectively) right thing even when it hurts; understanding that it does, and tremendously sympathetic but nigh implacable in those cases, even eventually for herself when she figures that same broad arc out for her own life.