You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 02:16:37 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP, ALL CHARACTERS WELCOME!  (Read 18682 times)

Offline Vergil TannerTopic starter

Haha, um....Nebulous Year. I was just gonna leave it ambiguous, otherwise I have to start figuring out exact calendar dates and moon cycles and whatnot, and that isn't fun :P

Offline LordRod

So just posting at the end of this without reading through the whole thread just to ask if Males are still needed because most of the time when I play these its a sausage fest so the idea of the reverse auto interests me :D

Offline Aida Rose

Nope, it's a taco fest. (...I should change my username lol.)

Males are indeed still needed :P Only one or two, though, then we'll be even :D

Offline LordRod

Then definitely interested. I will read through this thread and provide any info required tomorrow

No problem! I look forward to seeing what you come up with! :D

Offline AribethAmkiir

NAME Jessica “Jess” Connors

SEX: Female

APPEARANCE: Jessica is a fit young woman with dark brown hair - often with blonde highlights - steely blue eyes, and a sun-kissed complexion combined with her Portuguese ancestry give her an exotically attractive girl.  At 5’5”, she’s about the average height for a teenager.  She has an athletically shaped body with a defined feminine musculature due to her participation in soccer.   Both lobes of her ears hold graduated piercings, as well as piercings in each helix – a stud in the left and an ear-weave in the right.  While not noticeable in her daily attire, her naval is also pierced.

Tattooed upon her left wrist is the word “Believe”, with the B replaced by a Treble Clef and the L replaced by a quaver, and further up her arm, upon her left bicep is an image with a blue, red, and gold background which reads “Is, Was, and Always Will Be Daddy’s Little Girl 5/4/64 – 9/15/10”.

ORIENTATION: Bi-sexual

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Bi-Sexual

TYPE: Athletic Artsy Party Girl

POWER THEME: Sound Manipulation – She can mimic, intensify, hush, and distort, as well as, warp, strengthen, echo, speed up, and slow down sound.  Sound meaning a periodic disturbance of the medium (air, ground, water, etc) that radiates outward in straight lines in the form of a pressure wave.  The effect these waves produce upon the ear is perceived as sound.  From the point of view of physics, sound is considered to be the waves of vibratory motion themselves, whether or not they are heard by the human ear.

CHARACTER FLAW: First, Jessica has a deep seeded need to be seen.  This drives her to act out, attempt to “fit in”, and make poorly conceived choices.

Powers - I see this first manifesting as the ability to hear things she shouldn’t or possibly watching television and controlling the volume without actually doing anything to the TV or speakers, possibly making the teacher who is giving a boring lecture go completely mute to the class, small things like that.  The next step would be hearing through walls, first only plaster or dry wall, and eventually, brick and concrete.  I see her eventually being able to control sound waves so that they can vibrate objects, break glass, bone, etc.  I don’t see her ever being able to ride upon sound waves.

BIOGRAPHY: Jessica was born to prestigious parents in the San Francisco area.  She was raised by an au pair and grew up with little want or desire, other than her parent’s attention.  Being as successful as her parents were, meant they spent most of their time in meetings which more often than not occurred in other cities, or even over-seas.  From the time she could walk, it seemed that Nichole was doing something to gain her parent’s attention.  When she was younger, her stunts were considered cute, creative, or even daring.  As she grew older, and it became more difficult to impress her parents or even gain a second of their time, her actions were considered rebellious.

When Jess reached school-age, her parents sent her away to an all girl preparatory school in Pennsylvania.  It was there that she began to explore her wide scope of interests.  She was encouraged to join the soccer team, sing in a choir, and participate in the theater club.  Naturally athletic, Jessica discovered a fondness for soccer; however, she fell in love with singing and playing music.   She enjoyed, but was not considered “gifted”, theater, and while she would have killed to earn the lead in a school play, she typically earned the spot of understudy and helped with the set and costumes, where she found another outlet for her creative-side.  Despite all of her activities, her parents never attended a game, saw a play, or heard her sing.

When Jessica learned that she was accepted into Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson High School, she was ecstatic.  She was excited to finally attend a mixed gender school, and it didn’t take her long to begin to date.  Her freshman year was a mixture of disappointment and achievement.  She failed to make the Varsity soccer team, but played on the Junior Varsity team; sang in the freshman female choir; and signed on to help the theater program with sets, costumes, and makeup.  Her grades her freshman year were excellent, receiving mostly As with one B.

Her sophomore year was more of a struggle as her home life was turned upside down when her parents divorced.  While she made the varsity team, she didn’t start and only played in four games.  She felt even worse about herself when her parents decided to suddenly begin attending her games, a thinly veiled attempt to gain her favor.  Her parent’s sudden attention stoked the flames of her naturally attention-seeking behavior.  Her father bought her a car on her sixteenth birthday, and to top that, her mother took her to Mulan for fashion week.  Ten months later her father died of an unexpected coronary.  After her father’s death, she was absent for the last month of school, and her grades dipped to all Cs and Bs with the single A achieved in choir.

Her junior year started out as a mess.  She mixed herself up with a boy who was a popular senior sports’ star and partyholic.  Jessica became much more focused on what was “cool”.  She refused to participate in choir, skirted her responsibilities to the theater program, and later that year, her grades prevented her from participating in soccer.  In October, she crashed her car, and was charged with under-aged drinking and a minor in possession.  Then, she began failing classes.  It was through the intervention of her guidance councilor, and several teachers, that prevented her from failing out of school.  With their help, in late November, she ended her relationship with the boyfriend, who was obviously a bad influence, and spent the rest of the year repairing her friendships and her standing in school.  She ended the school year with a 2.9. 

By the beginning of her senior year, her friends forgave her, as did the teachers, or at least, that’s how it seemed.  She joined the senior mixed choir, returned to her responsibilities with the theater program, and continued the tutoring sessions her teachers had setup the year before.  She still attends parties and still possesses a bit of a “hell-if-I-care” mentality, despite the fact that her teachers keep a sharp eye on her.

THEME SONG:
""
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:47:43 PM by AribethAmkiir »

Okey dokey, well, the first thing is that I'd like you to come up with some Hard Limits...so, what's her maximum range in terms of her power, both at the start and the Hard Cap for her "developed" abilities? What are her ranges of control, like, can she make a 150 decibel noise sound like 5, or is there a limit to how much she can mute it? What precisely can and can't she do with these sound waves, and is there any downside to her using them (EG, exhaustion, vulnerability to sudden or unexpected loud noises, etc etc)? Basically, what kind of powerscale, utility and limits were you imagining? :-)

Offline AribethAmkiir

Maximum range - at the beginning she can hear a normal conversation from ~100 yards away, whispered conversation at ~50 yeards, later (ultimate max) 1 mile (maybe?)

Max range for manipulating sound would be 50 yards to begin with a 300 yard hard cap.

Her body is still completely human, so she would be susceptible to sound waves the same way everyone else is.  If she used her ability to speed up the wave, in her immediate vicinity, to the point that it caused ear drums to burst or bones to break, she'd feel the effects as well.

At first I think she would only be able to quiet a normal conversation to that of a whisper - a 30 change.  As time goes on and she becomes more proficient, she can completely silence a school bell or police siren - approximately a 140 db change.  (Used http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html as a reference).

That's only noise manipulation, however.  194 db is the loudest sound we can hear and 0 db is the weakest sound we can hear.  We know that dogs and other animals can hear noises which we can't, and in some comics and science fiction, sound waves have been theorized to be able to cause earthquakes, etc.  As an extreme "hard cap" (one which I never expect to reach within the game), I suspect Jess would be able to manipulate sound to that level.

As far as utility, I'd like her to be able to act as a type of "scout" with some offensive and defensive ability.

at the beginning she can hear a normal conversation from ~100 yards away, whispered conversation at ~50 yeards, later (ultimate max) 1 mile (maybe?)

So she can - at Day 0 - hear conversations from 300 feet? I would curb that rather enthusiastically and have it tick up slowly over time. This is a Day One game, after all, and instantly being able to hear everything at "conversation level" 300 feet around you is rather extreme.

Max range for manipulating sound would be 50 yards to begin with a 300 yard hard cap.

At 300 yards, she can't even see the target, let alone the area around it. Again, I would reduce these ranges sharply, especially considering the ranges for our Light Manipulator are FAR lower. This isn't DC or Marvel, so I think you need to think significantly smaller in terms of powerscales.

Her body is still completely human, so she would be susceptible to sound waves the same way everyone else is.  If she used her ability to speed up the wave, in her immediate vicinity, to the point that it caused ear drums to burst or bones to break, she'd feel the effects as well.

But surely if she can hear conversations - hypothetically - 50 yards away, that means that she's more sensitive to soundwaves in general...so if she didn't know a loud noise nearby was gonna happen, surely that loud noise would be amplified by the same factor as that conversation? I mean, are you talking about a passive "Always On" field where she can just hear around her at a greater distance all the time, or is it something she has to specifically activate?

At first I think she would only be able to quiet a normal conversation to that of a whisper - a 30 change.  As time goes on and she becomes more proficient, she can completely silence a school bell or police siren - approximately a 140 db change.  (Used http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html as a reference).

Hmmm...yeah, I can work with that. However, considering the soundwave is still there, perhaps she can't silence it entirely, just quieten it to a level that most people can't ever hope to hear? Also, if she makes a soundwave louder or quieter, does it affect it for everybody, or just specific targets?

That's only noise manipulation, however.  194 db is the loudest sound we can hear and 0 db is the weakest sound we can hear.  We know that dogs and other animals can hear noises which we can't, and in some comics and science fiction, sound waves have been theorized to be able to cause earthquakes, etc.  As an extreme "hard cap" (one which I never expect to reach within the game), I suspect Jess would be able to manipulate sound to that level.

Hmm....I think we should keep it within range of human hearing. If she can't hear the sound, after all, how does she know it's there?

Offline AribethAmkiir

Ok...

She would have to focus and concentrate on the people talking in order to hear them, otherwise she wouldn't be able to pick their conversation out from the rest of the noise.  Doing so, would make her less aware of her immediate surroundings, like looking down a scope or being absorbed in a television show.

300 feet does seem a bit too far when you put it that way.  With the above mentioned, does 100 feet sound reasonable or do I need to drop it to 50 feet?

300 yards is only 3 football fields, a normal person can see a lot farther than that.  Picking out 2 people in a crow at 300 yards, I agree is impossible, but two lone figures on top of a bridge 300 yards away, not so much.  Sound travels differently than light.  Objects don't block sound, they simply redirect it, where objects do block light.  You were asking for hard caps, caps which we'll likely never attain in game.

I'm not talking about an "always on" aura.  Perhaps in the very beginning Jess will be affected by hearing everything within a 50 yard radius and it'll drive her nuts, but that should only be until she gets the least amount of control.  The human brain naturally protects itself, without us knowing, by blocking out memories, and filtering millions of stimuli every day in order for us to function.  So, yeah, an unexpected loud noise while she's using her ability will most certainly cause backlash - severe pain and disorientation, otherwise, it doesn't effect her any more than anyone else.

I was thinking everyone in the affected area.  For instance, if she's quietening the sound at its source, than no one, no matter what angle, would hear it.  If she's quietening the sound around a targeted area, than anyone outside of that area would be able to hear the sound normally.

You don't have to see something to know it's there.  It would take a great deal of experience and knowledge to be able to do anything like that.  None of us can see the air we blow from our mouths, but we all know that if we blow hard enough we can blow out candles, move pieces of paper, fabric, or even pool balls.

She would have to focus and concentrate on the people talking in order to hear them, otherwise she wouldn't be able to pick their conversation out from the rest of the noise.  Doing so, would make her less aware of her immediate surroundings, like looking down a scope or being absorbed in a television show.

Sounds reasonable. :-)

300 feet does seem a bit too far when you put it that way.  With the above mentioned, does 100 feet sound reasonable or do I need to drop it to 50 feet?

I'd say 100 as a in-game eventual cap, building up to it as she gets more experience with her powers. :-)

300 yards is only 3 football fields, a normal person can see a lot farther than that.  Picking out 2 people in a crow at 300 yards, I agree is impossible, but two lone figures on top of a bridge 300 yards away, not so much.  Sound travels differently than light.  Objects don't block sound, they simply redirect it, where objects do block light.  You were asking for hard caps, caps which we'll likely never attain in game.

Ok, so, 300 as a Hard Cap, but the actual limiter is whether she can see or detect them in some way so she can separate them from people around them?

I'm not talking about an "always on" aura.  Perhaps in the very beginning Jess will be affected by hearing everything within a 50 yard radius and it'll drive her nuts, but that should only be until she gets the least amount of control.  The human brain naturally protects itself, without us knowing, by blocking out memories, and filtering millions of stimuli every day in order for us to function.  So, yeah, an unexpected loud noise while she's using her ability will most certainly cause backlash - severe pain and disorientation, otherwise, it doesn't effect her any more than anyone else.

Unless she's increasing sounds in an area around her, right? Or does that work differently?

I was thinking everyone in the affected area.  For instance, if she's quietening the sound at its source, than no one, no matter what angle, would hear it.  If she's quietening the sound around a targeted area, than anyone outside of that area would be able to hear the sound normally.

But if she's altering the sound to be quieter in that area, surely the point would be to make sure that people outside of that area don't hear it, right? And if she's decreasing the volume inside that area, where is that extra volume outside the area coming from?

You don't have to see something to know it's there.  It would take a great deal of experience and knowledge to be able to do anything like that.  None of us can see the air we blow from our mouths, but we all know that if we blow hard enough we can blow out candles, move pieces of paper, fabric, or even pool balls.

Yeah, but we can feel their effects - a puff of air on the cheek, warmth on the back of the neck, seeing the candle being blown out. How can she alter sound frequencies and pitches that she can neither hear nor see the effects of? Does she have an innate sense of the soundwaves around her, or is she just guessing that there might be sounds around that she can't detect?

Offline AribethAmkiir

Great!  :)

100 feet is the eventual cap?  Seems over-the-top as a limitation compared to the other characters.

Yes, the limiter is whether she can detect them, up to 300 yards.

Well, just like a flash bomb would effect someone looking through a scope, even if the scope was directed elsewhere, a loud noise while she's using her ability will create backlash.  If she was increasing the sound in the area around her, and say the school bell went off, it would likely be enough to permanently deafen her - not to mention the pain, disorientation, etc.

Not necessarily.  She could be speaking to Grace, for instance, and not want Dante to hear.  So she could mute the area around Dante.  Another example, is if the group was talking in the middle of the lunch room, and Jess didn't want the people at the neighboring tables to hear their discussion, she could silence the sound when it reaches a certain point - not something she would be able to do on Day 1.

And if she's decreasing the volume inside that area, where is that extra volume outside the area coming from?
Not sure I understand what you're asking.  Sound-waves are the vibration of molecules through a medium, like air.  There wouldn't be extra volume outside the area she's effecting, it would be the same volume unaffected.  She would essentially exert an undetectable barrier around an area and when the sound-wave comes into contact with that barrier, it would change - slow, speed up, or stop completely.

Yes, absolutely, Jess would need to know the sound-wave exists to affect it.  She would have to clap her hands, stomp her foot, whistle, speak, or simply perceive the sound-wave normally before she could effect it.  When she sees someone's lips moving, she can assume there is noise and affect the area around those lips to increase the speed of the wave and direct it toward her, effectively increasing the volume.  Of course, everyone between herself and the speaker would also be able to hear what was being said, unless she became expert enough to deflect the sound around people, or create multiple "barriers" that each affected the sound differently - that would of course require an innate understanding of a whole lot of science she simply doesn't, and won't likely ever, possess.

Similarly, if she's simply listening in a certain direction, she'll hear everything in that direction (up to the agreed upon distance) and will have to teach her brain to filter out ambient noise until she can focus upon voices or whatever she's listening to - she wouldn't want to do this in New York City, but out in the country, the forest, or in the mountains it might be helpful.

Ah, I was under the misapprehension that you were talking about the source of the sound being within that barrier. My mistake.

Well, 100 - 200 feet is the average in-game cap (as in, the most she's likely to attain in-game). I mean, why would she need more than that, especially compared to our only comparable ability, the Lightbender? The power scales of the game are vastly different to DC and marvel, after all, and 300 feet is a VERY long distance.

Offline AribethAmkiir

We're talking about being able to hear something at a distance.  It's nowhere near as powerful as building fantastical machines that have no science to support them, creating anything imaginable with fire, creating lasers, or compelling someone with a touch. 

If you feel 100 - 200 feet is the correct distance for this game, then I won't argue.  I just have a different opinion.

Considering that our only vaguely comparable power - our Photokinetic - has a 35 foot range, I think that a 1-200 foot Max Range for her abilities is more than fair. As far as "Fantastical Machines" go, they're subject to some pretty heavy restrictions, not least of which is heavy GM moderation.

For the games power level, I think 1-200 feet will suffice in terms of Max Range.

Offline arthenwel

• The Flame Incarnate
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Why do I get up after being knocked down? Faith.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Character Bio
Name: Arthur Lane
Sex: Male
Faceclaim: Logan Lerman (I apologize for the lack of images, my phone is being retarded)
Nationality: He is from south Texas. Usually, he barely has a southern accent at all, but get him agitated and it comes a-tumblin' out.
Orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Single
Reputation: Social butterfly. He tends to flit about, talking to nearly everyone, but never really fitting in with anybody.
Power Theme: Pyrokenesis.
      Starting out, he will only be able to create a spark 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. After a little training to strengthen his powers, he will be able to hold a flame 3 inches tall and half an inch wide for approximately 5 minutes.

When his power has reached it's strongest stable point, his flames will be 3,100 degrees Fahrenheit. (I know that this isn't covered in the reference. This is approaching black flame level. I don't see him reaching this point for over a year and a half, unless something drastic happens.) He will be able to hold a wall of flames 5 feet high, 2 feet thick, and 10 feet long for approximately 30 minutes. He can make the flames much higher by either reducing the thickness, the length, or both.

reference for energy-explosion table
Explosions are measured in comparison to TNT. one unit equals 1 ton of TNT. A megaton is equal to 1 million tons of TNT. A megaton produces 1015 joules of energy. Thus, a single pound of TNT produces 500,000 joules of energy. This may sound like alot of power, but keep in mind that it takes 15 pounds of TNT to remove only a few feet of rock from a mountain, or roughly 7,500,000 joules of energy.

Starting off, he will only be able to produce up to 100,000 joule explosions. I'm also limiting him to only 800,000 joules of expenditure per day.

At the peak of his stable power, he will be able to produce up to 2,500,000 joule explosions. I am limiting him to 20,000,000 joules of expenditure a day. (as I have already said, I don't see him at this level for over a year and a half, unless something drastic happens.)

To make a consistent increase and decrease in power caused by his emotions, this shall be a tentative scale:
Blood rage (a rage that blinds him to all logic and reason) 10x normal power; rage 8x normal power; anger 5x normal power; fear 3x normal power; frustration 1.5x normal power; confusion 4/5 normal power; slight depression 3/5 normal power; sorrow 1/2 normal power, moderate depression 1/5 normal power; severe depression 1/10 normal powers. Only a blood rage allows him to pass his daily expenditure cap, by 3x normal amount. However, this has serious drawbacks. The more he 'overspends' the more severe the repercussions. Ranging from a few extra minutes of unconsciousness to 20+ hours unconsciousness with a major backlash when he wakes up.

For now, a tentative blast radius of 3 feet will be established for his explosions. This will allow for of significant dispersal for the energy and the force. I don't know what the blast radius should be for his more powerful explosions.

Flaws: Due to his powers being linked with his emotions, they are in a constant state of flux. They could be really powerful one moment and next to nonexistent the next. Since he has no real control over his emotions, this causes alot of problems.

His powers also use his body's own personal energy as a catalyst for the flames. Thus, every time he uses his power there is a drain on his stamina. In the beginning the drain is significant as his body hasn't had time to adapt. Later on, he will be able to sustain his flames. In other words, in the beginning, creating a small flame to light a candle will drain enough energy to cause his legs to shake. Lighting gas would only be slightly less costly. If he's enraged or frightened enough to cause a small explosion, he will be knocked unconscious for several minutes to an hour. Depending on the severity.

Due to his powers being linked to his energy, his metabolic rate and his required caloric consumption is increased drastically when he uses his powers. This makes it even more strenuous for him to use his power to the point of exhaustion. I.E. If he regularly gets full off of 2 slices of pizza, using his power would cause him to need to eat a whole pizza and since his metabolism is so high, he would still feel hungry. This causes an increased strain on his body as it struggles to keep up in the beginning, causing an increased need for sleep. Since he isn't able to get it, he often looks tired.

If he tries to internalize his powers, either to prevent others from finding out or to protect them, it causes intense mental backlash, resulting in agonizing pain. The pain is so intense that it is debilitating. It starts of as a slight headache and builds up more and more, causing him to close his eyes from pain. More buildup causes him to double over or fall. It keeps building until he releases it, via his power. If he is calmed down, the pain will slowly fade. However, the drain is still there, just not as drastic.

Personality: Before the 'Event', Arthur is talkative, cheerful, exuberant, energetic, and outgoing. He tends to talk with many people. From nearly all cliques. Yet, he never really fits in. No matter what, he always seems to get closed out. He just wants to fit in, but remembers that he doesn't truly fit in anywhere.

After the 'Event', his personality makes a nearly 180 degree turn. He becomes reclusive in an attempt to isolate himself. This is to both protect others and himself. He doesn't want anyone to get hurt as he struggles to gain control. On the other side, he doesn't trust people. Believing that if people found out, they would turn him in and he would become the government's lab rat, blame Hollywood for putting out so many movies that show people becoming science projects. Yet, try as he might, there are still times that he reaches out to someone, before quickly withdrawing, that is. Since his power uses his energy as a catalyst, he usually looks haggard.  Though, occasionally, there is that spark of his old self.

Regardless of whether he had his powers or not, he's always been honorable and hardworking. He gives everyone a chance. Even when he knows he shouldn't, believing that everyone just needs someone who is supportive, no matter what. He believes he can help everyone be their best just by being there. Due mostly to his past. He lets people take advantage of him, in most cases. However, there are some things he can't stand. Such as, cheating, abuse of women and children, and those who have no honor and no code. Hell, even murderers have a personal code that they won't break. He also desires to know the why's and how's of everything. Thus, further alienating himself. He also believes in the saying, "You don't work. You don't eat." and works hard to earn a little money. Yet, that is also because he wants to feel as if he's earned everything he has. He is fiercely loyal to those he calls friend and extremely protective of them. He may not always get along with them and he won't always go along with what they say, but he is always there to protect them.

History: Arthur was the second born, first son of three children. One older sister, one younger brother. In the beginning, he got along with his sister more than his brother. As he began third grade, he became a target for bullies. He was one of the shortest kids in his grade. He was the weakest. He was the least likely to retaliate. They began shoving him around, calling him names, and generally, making his life miserable. He tried to tell his family about it, but his mother had no advice for him and his father's only advice at the time was, "Suck it up. Crying will only give them more ammunition and make it worse. You have to act like it doesn't bother you. They'll get bored and leave you alone."

He tried to follow his father's advice, but it didn't work. He couldn't fight back and he couldn't seem to be boring enough. Before the year was up, Arthur's spirit had shattered. His shoulders were slumped and his back lacked strength. He let the abuse roll over him, no longer caring. His eyes held no hope. He wondered why he should even care. Yet, still, they seemed to find enjoyment in tormenting him. His father's advice was worthless.

That was when his sister distanced herself. Since she was popular and he wasn't, she pretended that he was adopted. Everyone believed her. That was just another kick while he was down. He began to question why he was even born. What could his life possibly be worth if he wasn't allowed to even exist without being in agony every day? It just didn't make sense. Surely there had to be a reason. Right?

Another year passed and he began doing harder chores. He can still remember his father's 'lessons'. "A man is only worth what his word is. If his word is worthless, he is worthless." "If you're going to do something, do it to the best of your ability. That way, you can look back with pride and say, 'I did that'". Arthur found a little solace in the praise he received from a job well done. It was the one time that instead of being tortured, he was actually given a kind word and a reward. Sometimes, he would even begin to think that the pain was all worth it in the end as long as he had that praise for hard work. Of course, then the bullying would wipe those thoughts away.

Sometimes he'd get paid and he'd use it to buy his own books and toys, just so that when he saw them, he knew that his hard work had gotten him what he wanted. He might not be rich, but everything was his. No one could say that he hadn't earned any of it. No one could say that he only got that because of someone else.

During his 6th grade year, he met a boy that actually wanted to be friends with him. Arthur had been sitting alone at the lunch table, as he had for the longest time. No one was sitting with him. In fact, everyone tended to avoid him. Yet, that boy came up to him and asked if the seat was taken. Arthur, thinking that he was asking to take the chair, said 'Yes' and watched in amazement as the boy sat down and introduced himself as 'Zeke'.

Arthur soon learned that Zeke never trusted men. He had been hurt too much by men in general, including his father. Yet, for some reason unknown to both of them. He gave Arthur his trust on sight. When Arthur asked him why he gave him his trust so easily, he replied, "Honestly, I don't know. Just something in your eyes seemed to register with me. Other than that, I have no clue."

Arthur never betrayed that trust. How could he? This was the first person to really try to talk to Arthur and get to know him since he was bullied. Zeke put himself on the line to give Arthur another chance. Why would Arthur ever willingly give that up?

After that, Arthur seemed to come alive again. He stood up straighter, walked livelier. His eyes were no longer dull from pain, no longer looked like he was ready to give up. Instead, they gleamed with joy every time he hung around Zeke and while he still didn't smile all that much, when he was with Zeke, he smiled a genuine smile. They became the best of friends in a short time and it was that friendship that rebuilt Arthur's spirit. With this newfound strength of spirit, the bullying redoubled.

It troubled Zeke, who thought it was because of him, and in a way he was right. Yet, Arthur let him know that it was because he had found hope again. Over the next couple of weeks, his circles of friends grew, until he had 5 close friends and a few acquaintances and although acquaintances came and went, his close friends never betrayed him and always gave support when Arthur needed it. That was the real changing point of his life.

They gave him the courage to become a little bit more outgoing. He knew. no matter what, they would always be there when he needed them. Some of them he never really got along with. It was like two Alpha male wolves in the same pack. They would fight and fight, yet when the group was threatened, they would fight alongside eachother until the threat was gone. Then, of course, they would go back to fighting eachother. 
      As he grew stronger in spirit, the bullying seemed to intensify. What made them want to hurt others? He struggled, but never found the answer. That is, until one day in junior high, he accidentally asked a boy if he needed help and it turned out to be one of his bullies. Silently, he cursed himself. He just had to pick the one person that had bullied him. Arthur thought that he would get a smartass answer or that the boy would bully him. Yet, Arthur couldn't take his words back. Arthur braced himself, but was surprised as the boy declined the offer and simply walked away with a confused look. Even more of a surprise was that that kid never bullied Arthur again. Stumped, Arthur asked why the kid bullied him and the reason was shocking. The boy's father treated him much the same way he treated Arthur. Except the kid's father had stressed to him the importance that real men don't show emotions. That emotions were for the weak. The kid wanted to get help, but his father threatened him if he told. So, the boy struggled to find someone to help without saying anything. In frustration, he found someone who reminded him of himself and did the same things. Hoping to find an answer. Arthur became a willing ear and it seemed to help. The boy was alot happier. He wasn't bullying anyone and Arthur made another good friend. Then and there, Arthur decided he would be the person that would always help others. He would be the one to try to understand. He also became more outgoing in an attempt to reach out to more people. If reaching out to that bully had helped, maybe he could help even more people. Even though he wasn't popular, he still started to attempt to talk to others, mostly without success. Hoping to give someone a little bit of joy. In the 8th grade though, everything put that mindset to the test. His best friend, Zeke, began acting weird and jumping whenever Arthur grabbed his shoulder, but wouldn't say what was wrong. Months went by and finally, Arthur decided to demand answers. He walked towards his friend's house, but saw him walking into the forest with another kid. Curious, Arthur followed them. Not much further in, they came upon a stack of sticks, set up in preparation for a fire. They lit it, and once it was truly lit, the mystery kid took a branch and bashed it across the back of his friend's head, knocking him out. He then kicked flaming sticks across the forest floor, the flames rapidly catching and spreading. Arthur was so stunned, he couldn't move. The kid placed a lighter in his Zeke's hand as the final touch before running back out of the forest. Arthur ducked out of sight as the boy passed. He waited a few seconds before running to his friend as smoke and flames filled the air. His friend was still breathing. Which caused Arthur to let out a sigh of relief. Now, he just had to get him out. Arthur struggled to get him slung over his shoulder and slowly made his way out, burning limbs crashing all about them. When they made it out, the firemen were already getting to work. Arthur thought that was a good thing. Until he was put in handcuffs and placed in a cop car. Both he and his friend were charged with arson and no one, not even Arthur's own parents believed him. Yet, due to lack of concrete evidence, the charges were dropped for both of them. It was also later revealed, after the kid had moved, that the mystery kid had been the one to call the cops and the firemen, saying that they had been starting the fire. Which would explain why no one would believe him.
     Later, he asked his friend who the kid was. At first, Zeke wouldn't answer him and slither his way around the question. Yet, Arthur persisted until Zeke finally relented. That kid had been an old friend, but a few months before the fire, Zeke had been raped by him. He had remained quiet out of shame and fear. Not to mention, his parents didn't believe that it happened. After all, Zeke was bigger, how could it have happened? The reason why he had gone into the forest was the boy had said he wanted to apologize for it and he wanted to make it right. Arthur couldn't believe that Zeke had fallen for it and neither could he, but he had been at a weak point in his life. Maybe he had been tired of being in fear and decided to face his problems. It would explain the way Zeke had been acting around everyone.
     After the fire, Arthur and Zeke were social pariahs, even more so than before. Yet, Arthur continued to be socially outgoing, to no avail. No one wanted to talk to him after the fire. Everyone was convinced that he had done it and should have gone to prison. Even the new kids that had just moved, once they heard a garbled version of events would no longer be seen around him. The friends that Arthur had gained over the past couple of years remained, opting to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe their story instead. For this, Arthur was grateful. He vowed that he would never let their faith in him be shaken or destroyed. He would do everything in his power to prove that they weren't wrong. Arthur put up with glares for two more years. People still ignored him, but he always kept a smile on his face. No doubt, people thought he was 'gloating' over not being caught, but that didn't matter. When his parents started receiving death threats at the end of his 10th grade year, they decided to make a move to New York. They had some relatives there that would help them out. It was far enough away that no one knew of his 'crime'. He said goodbye to his friends, knowing that he would, most likely, never see them again. They held a going away party for him, making sure that he wasn't saddened over the move and they promised to chat over Facebook and stay connected. He got accepted to Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson High. Which was supposedly a big deal. As a Junior, he would walk up to random people just to chat with them. This time, he got slightly better results than his old school. Probably because he was an unknown quantity in the school. No one knew of his past, no one knew of his past social niche. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

Hated Exam
     Arthur had a history exam at the end of the day. It was his least favorite subject. All it was was brute memorization. It didn't take any skills. It didn't take a certain way of thinking. You just have to memorize dates and names. It wasn't that he wasn't doing well in history. In fact, his average was a 91! History just didn't make sense. Countless thousands of people died for leaders who were greedy. Thousands died to build architecture for tyrants. Over and over again. What had gone on in their heads? What had the Egyptian slaves thought as they toiled over the sphinx and pyramids? Why did pharaohs think everyone was beneath them? How did every ruler come to think they were ordained by a god or gods? It made no sense. Why hurt others for your own ego? Why send your armies to die to expand your kingdom? These were questions he had. Yet, that wasn't what the class was about. Man's greatest philosophers have said, "Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it." Well how the hell was he supposed to not repeat the past if he didn't even know how those events came to pass? How can you avoid repeating something when you don't even know why it happened? As he walked into the class, he gave vent to a huge sigh. He sat at his desk and soon after, they began the test. 'Question 1: In what year did the Yellow Turban Rebellion begin?' Why did that matter? Why ask when and not why or how come? Emphasis is placed on when and where and how many, but never on why. It was maddening. They make events in history only about the dates and names. No reasons. No explanation. He just couldn't wrap his head around it. Besides how do you even know that is the correct version of events? Wasn't there a saying that went, "History is written by the victors"? Whenever he asked, 'why?' All he got were theories. Some of them would have made a crocadile laugh. Arthur finished the multiple choice questions before everyone else and reached the Open Ended Response section. Before he even opened it, he thought to himself, 'Greeaaaat! Here we go again.' These were the reason he didn't have a higher average. The third question was, 'What was the significance of the Yellow Turban Rebellion? And what was the outcome?' He knew what the teachers were looking for. Hell they went over it often enough. Yet, he wrote something else instead. Its significance is the waste of human life. People fought for freedom and/or power. In the end most got only the freedom from living.' He knew it would be graded as 'wrong', but to him, it was right.

Dating the crush
He couldn't believe that he was actually going on a date with Sarah. The girl he had been crushing on for the last two years. How the hell had he managed that? So many people wanted to know that answer, but he didn't have it himself. He wasn't built like a jock. He wasn't even close to being the handsomest guy in school. Hell, he wasn't even popular. So, how come? Maybe he was a charity case. Was it a prank? He felt so excited and yet, so nervous. He felt like he was going to puke. Was he? He hoped not. He had spent 45 minutes getting dressed. If he messed up his clothes now, he was going to be really pissed. He might even hit something. He started using his toes to hope up and down as he rubbed his hands together. What should he say when he picked her up? What if he said the wrong thing? It wouldn't matter if this was only a prank. But, what if it wasn't? What would he do if it was? Probably hit the first guy who laughed. That or run and cry in a corner. He sprayed on some cologne. Then, he began pacing his room for probably the 50th time. His head was running in circles with questions. All that was left was to pick her up. He passed his weeping mother. She was blubbering about her baby boy's first date. 'Ugh! Give me a break!' Was the only thought to that. His dad gave him a fist bump as he handed Arthur the keys. Arthur started the engine and took off down the street. His free foot began tapping as his thoughts continued to run in circles, making him anxious. Yet, strangely enough, as he knocked on her door, he was completely came. After all, there was nothing else he could do but face whatever comes next head-on.

theme song
https://m.

Questionnaire
1. How many pets does your character own?  What is their favorite kind of pet?
"Well, we had two horses, Princess and Thunder." *smile* "Princess was an ornery lil' thang, and loved to be groomed for hours. Thunder was a gentle love bug, but we had to give them up durin' the move.

2. What is your character's favorite flower?
"Roses. Oh don't laugh so hard. Jeez! I used ta pick flowers for my mother all the time, but she loved the roses the most."

3. What is your character's favorite color?
"Mine is really a color scheme. I prefer red an' black with blue an' black being a close second. Think what you will of that."

4. What is your character's favorite kind of music?
"It depends on how I'm feeling at the moment, but the three I listen to the most are pop, metal, and country....What? Is it strange that I like metal AND country?"

5. What does your character want to do career-wise in the future?
"Honestly, I don't know. I just want to help as many people as I can. I just haven't decided how I'll go about it yet."

6. Favorite movie?
"Hmmm. I can't really decide. There are alot of good movies out there. It's hard to pick just one."

7. Favorite food?
"Either Salisbury steak with buttery cressants, deviled eggs, Velveeta shells, and broccoli or Chicken A La king. Mmmm. Nobody makes it like momma."

8. Least favorite food?
"liver" *face turned sour as he swallows hard before shivering in disgust.*

9. Blood type?
"I'm A+ person." *chuckles at his joke.* "I know that was stupid, but that was funny."

10.  Worst nightmare?
"Ya ain't gettin' that one outta me."

11.  What's your type?
"Ummm, type?....Oh! You mean in a girl? Ok, umm....I guess someone trustworthy, honest, loyal. Oh shaddup, I ain't finished yet. Sheesh! Someone I can rely on and put my faith in. In other words, a partner who neither walks in front of or behind me, but someone to walk beside me."

12. Dream vacation?
"Hmmm, don't have one."

13. What is your favorite book?
"Tied between the third book in the wheel of time series, I've only read four of them, and Brightly Burning, by Mercedes Lackey. Love the way she writes."

14. What is your most hated book?
"Twilight. The author took the lore on werewolves and vampires and basically said, 'Fuck you!' She ruined what could have been a good story by removing a weakness on vampires and turning the glittering love struck idiots. Then she makes the main girl a dumb broad that can't make up her damn mind over who she loves thereby creating unneeded massive complications. Jeez!......Don't look at me like that......You asked."

15. What is your favorite animal (not pet, animal)?
"Hmmm....a komodo dragon or an albino king cobra."

16. What is your best memory?
"Don't remember......What? Don't believe me? Too damn bad. Ain't gettin anymore outta me.

17. What is your worst memory? *Face becomes disapproving* "Really? You can't get the best, so you go for the worst? Shouldn't you have gone the other way around?....Fine, I'll give you the worst I'm willing to share. My friend's betrayal. No, you ain't gettin an elaboration. What? Didn't think I knew any fancy words cause of the way I talk? Don't judge a book by it's cover."

18. Favorite quote (book, film or otherwise)?
"I don't know." *shrugs* "Give me liberty or give me death? Only one I can think of right now."

19. Favorite DISNEY movie?
"Frozen. What?! Elsa is hot!"

20. Favorite fictional hero?
Lavan Firestorm or Elspeth. Lavan from Brightly burning and Elspeth from the mage storm series. Both written by Mercedes Lackey."

21. Favorite fictional villain?
Itachi from Naruto. He became a villain to protect the village, but still put himself in danger to protect his brother."

22. Ideal first date?
"I don't know. What are you supposed to do on a date? What? What's so funny?!"

23. What is the meaning of life?
*face goes blank* "To discover the meaning of life....what? You ask a stupid question, expect a stupid answer."

24. What's your #1 fantasy? (Doesn't have to be sexual)
"To either live in Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books."

25. What quality of yours do you feel is your greatest strength?
"Don't know if I have one." *shrugs*

26.  What is your greatest weakness?/what is one thing you would change about yourself?
"Can I say everything?"

27. Do you game? If so, which is your preferred platform?
"Xbox, although, I might go over to playstation.

28. Favorite board game?
"Chess, but I'm not that good."

29. Favorite sport, if any?
"Street football. Only a few rules and no one cares if they get hurt cause they're only playing to have fun."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:24:33 AM by arthenwel »

Okey dokey, can you break up those paragraphs a little, please? At the moment, it looks like one gigantic, continuous wall of text and I'm struggling to read it properly. Please and thank you!

Offline arthenwel

• The Flame Incarnate
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
No problem, give me a sec to edit it.

Let me know when it's been edited :-)

Offline arthenwel

• The Flame Incarnate
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
Part is edited but I'm going to be driving for an hour to get to work

Okey dokey, so...first thing's first, we already have a Pyromancer in our group, so I'm gonna have to ask you to choose a different ability / flaw. I know it's a bit of a ballache, but I don't want any doubling up on powers and Ai already has Pyrokinesis.

Secondly, would you mind expanding on the Writing Prompts a little, when you get time? There isn't really enough there for me to get a feel for the character, since I need about two or three paragraphs to get into the rhythm of his internal monologue. Try to make it a similar length to what you think will be the length of your posts, assuming the other person gave you quite a bit to work with. Please and thank you! :-)

Offline AribethAmkiir

Vergil - okay.  I can live with that. 

My main concern is that our resident "mad scientist" could go into any Radio Shack, spend a few hundred dollars, and a few hours later (without a need to enter his Manic phase) have jury-rigged a listening device that could extend far past 200 feet.

For that matter, the resident genius could learn all there is about computer programming and software development and become a world-class hacker, then hack anyone's phone, no matter the distance, and listen to everything happening in that person's vicinity.

Well, that's the problem with having a power like "Super Hearing;" Technology nowadays is such that a mobile phone can actually call somebody from across the world...the internet connects everybody, almost everywhere, and having a superpower that exceeds that range is horribly overpowered for obvious reasons.

If it's worth anything, the Mad Scientist has to run all his inventions past me first. As for the Genius, well...I can't say anything other than "He still requires tutelage to understand what he's reading," and "You're gonna have to trust that I'm not going to abuse those powers." Because if you don't trust me not to God Mode, then you really shouldn't be joining a game where I'm the GM, since if you don't trust the GM not to God Mode, then what could they possibly say to make you trust them?

Offline arthenwel

• The Flame Incarnate
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
Well then just scrap Arthur. I'll have to do one of my other guys