You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 02:14:14 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP, ALL CHARACTERS WELCOME!  (Read 18372 times)

Online Vergil TannerTopic starter

Re: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP REBOOT, FEMALES NEEDED!
« Reply #250 on: May 20, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »
Otaco:

We're always open to new people, and a winged young lady sounds awesome! :D We can talk about the flaws and the limitations a bit later, but for now, feel free to whip up a Concept Bio for me to take a gander at! :D

Ixy:

So, that all looks good except the Feat: Unreasonable Athleticism. Basically, I'd like to ask a couple of questions about that :-)
If she uses a Gravity Field to throw something heavy, what happens when it exits that bubble and it regains its original Mass?
I think that perhaps "reflexively" adding weight to increase its accuracy is a touch too much...I have no issue her being able to do that, but I think it needs to be specified at what range that ability becomes ineffective...so how far does it need to go before it loses that weight. Further, maybe have that be something she has to work on specifically, rather than it being instinctive.

Other than that, it looks good on first glance...though it is 3am where I am, so maybe I'll think of something else when I wake up. ;)

Offline Aida Rose

« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2016, 11:56:48 PM »
Here's a rough draft!

NAME: Nimah Ali

SEX: Female

APPEARANCE: Nimah's 5'7. Her body's slim and curvy. She gives the overall impression of being laidback and incapable of creating a perfect, neat bun.  Her movements were always graceful, but it's skyrocketed to a whole new level recently. She struts more than walks. She has a small collection of tattoos on her body, but the most important can be found on her right shoulder: a red gemini symbol.

ORIENTATION: Bisexual

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single

TYPE: Beach bum ballerina

POWER THEME: Flight (Wings)

Her wingspan is 10 feet, give or take a few inches, with an average speed of 30-40 MPH and a max speed of 70 MPH. She glides and can go as high as approximately 2k feet and as far as across town. They emerge easiest when she's under high stress (fear, anger, etc)

CHARACTER FLAW:
Personal
  • Sheltered: Nimah's parents are religious and overprotective. She likes to think her voice is the deciding factor in her life, but they've been calling the shots long enough to keep her in the dark about a few things. She's trying her damnedest to catch up.
  • Stubborn: It's hard for Nimah to shake an idea when it gets into her head. It doesn't help she often doesn't even try.
  • Careless: "All passion, no discipline" has become a mantra of her dance instructor. This tends to seep into other parts of her life.

Powers

Right now, her control isn't perfect because her body's still getting used to the new appendages. Her wings aren't as powerful as they could be.
  • Conspicuous: A pair of huge, feathery wings tend to draw attention, especially when you're barreling haphazardly through the air.
  • Hollow Bones: Nimah's bones are hollow to make it possible for her wings to life her up. Don't expect her to take a punch. 
  • Rapid Metabolism: She needs to consume copious amounts of food, especially after flying. Otherwise, she'll pass out.
  • Slow Manifestation: And an even slower disappearance. It takes them 5-20 minutes to manifest (they sprout out faster when under high stress)but at least an hour to disappear.

BIOGRAPHY: Nimah isn't accustomed to being alone. There used to be a time she'd never have to. Before moving to New York, she had a twin called Nadia. They were each other's best friends and never apart. Until Nadia got sick. It was sudden and cruel, some bad tick in her brain that snapped everything to pieces. The doctors had a lot of words for it and nothing stuck with Nimah. Nadia fell into a coma she's been in for going on 3 years and all that mattered was she lost her best friend. They moved to this part of New York because it's the site of a practice that claims to be the premiere and best option for people with Nadia's condition. Nimah got her tattoo at a low point, when wasted and sentimental. She talked the guy she was seeing (a college student and thankfully talented tattoo artist) into doing it for her. She didn't even like red. It was just Nadia's favorite color.

Today, Nimah never talks about Nadia. She focuses on her friends, her grades, and her art. She doesn't want to think about her sister or the inevitable end hanging over her family's head. Or the extra burdens her absence have caused. Nadia was the smart one, the kind one. Nimah was mostly just the brat with a mouth too smart for her own good. Well, she still is, but now she has to be the girl scout too. She doesn't need to see that look of disappoint and despair, of we lost the wrong one. That look's one of her worst fears. It's come to the point that her anxiety about it's begun to keep her up at night. When schoolwork and church aren't involved, her mom and dad are generally apathetic to what Nimah does. That doesn't stop them from being strict pains in her ass. She wants to be a ballerina, but feels pressured to go into Neurology to respect Nadia. Part of her wants to do it, anyways.

Before moving to New York, Nimah's family lived in Trinidad and has the accent to prove it, though she's dropped the colloquialisms to avoid teasing. Still, no one leaves everything behind. Living on an island made her accustomed to near constant access to the beach. She loves swimming. It reminds her of a simpler time and helps her decompress. And if she can't swim, she finds her way to a bong. Her easygoing nature often causes people to be shocked when shown her sharp tongue. It comes out more the longer her insomnia acts up and is generally only reactive to provocation.

Miscellaneous:

• Talented dancer (ballet focus) and singer (in her church choir)
  • On the swim team and decent, though nowhere near being the star

THEME SONG: maybe?
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Pics:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:49:59 AM by otaco »

« Reply #252 on: May 21, 2016, 06:05:25 AM »
Okey doke, so, first thing's first...would you mind expanding on her "Wing" powers, please? Like, how big is her wingspan, how do they work, where do they go when she's not using them, how far can she fly given the stamina she has, and how high can she go? Is she able to glide, or must she beat her wings constantly? Further, what flaws or limitations do her wings and powers have? EG, to make her light enough to fly, has she now got hollow bones and is therefore more fragile? Do her wings not work well under certain conditions? Do they flare up against her wishes if she gets emotional? Can she have trouble controlling them sometimes? Are they prehensile, so can she move them like arms, or can they spread, flap and retract and that's it?

Basically, would you mind expanding on the nature of her wings, please?

Please and thank you!

Offline Ixy

« Reply #253 on: May 21, 2016, 09:03:47 AM »

Ixy:

So, that all looks good except the Feat: Unreasonable Athleticism. Basically, I'd like to ask a couple of questions about that :-)
If she uses a Gravity Field to throw something heavy, what happens when it exits that bubble and it regains its original Mass?
I think that perhaps "reflexively" adding weight to increase its accuracy is a touch too much...I have no issue her being able to do that, but I think it needs to be specified at what range that ability becomes ineffective...so how far does it need to go before it loses that weight. Further, maybe have that be something she has to work on specifically, rather than it being instinctive.

Other than that, it looks good on first glance...though it is 3am where I am, so maybe I'll think of something else when I wake up. ;)

OK-- just let me know. 

Regarding accuracy: just figured that the focus would just make her seem uncannily accurate when it comes to athletic-type situations.  I guess it just makes a fastball move like a curveball... does that make sense?  It wouldn't be like a heat-seeking missile.

As far as things entering/exiting the gravity field-- their mass never actually changes, just the measure of gravity on them.  So she doesn't have to exert as much force to lift and throw something heavy inside a reduced gravity field, and when it exits it's moving at the speed she was able to exert, so it continues moving at that speed when it exits the field. 
This is how I imagined it at various levels: Let's say there's a bank robbery, and its her job to stop the getaway car.
Level 1 (just after powers emerge):  She lifts a cinderblock, weighing about 30 lbs... she's waiting out of sight in an alleyway or behind a car, etc., as she focuses her ability.  Now, to her the block feels more like 20 lbs, making it easier to manage as a projectile... It's still a heavy object to throw any good distance without hurting oneself, but she's able to take a quick one-two step and hurl it overhand at the waiting getaway car twenty feet away.  Wow!  It lands like someone threw a fucking cinderblock at a car.  It smashes a huge dent in the roof and shatters a window after arcing up and down over a distance of twenty feet.  Anyone who saw it would be very surprised that a girl could just throw a cinderblock like that, but it's nothing to call the papers about, and the car is still fully operational.  The driver, of course, is going to be less friendly.

Level 2: Same situation: She can emerge from the alley and, tossing the cinderblock back and forth between her hands like it's made of foam rubber, she readies her aim... definitely got this.  She takes a running start this time and throws the cinderblock like a softball pitch, whipping it overhead in one hand, then vaulting it forward at about 60 miles per hour.  It sinks a little with gravity but it covers the 50 feet to the car in the blink of an eye.  The car windows explode from the force, and the car visibly rocks up, almost leaving the ground on one side, before settling back down onto the shattered safety glass and chunks of broken block.  The driver is stunned, and has a sprained shoulder because 1) the block caved in the door several inches, and 2) the airbags deployed in his face.

Level 3: Again, same situation.  She picks up a cinderblock, shrugs, and tosses it aside... she's already focused her field on this alley, so it hovers in the air.  A couple other cinderblocks are starting to float up, and a passing dog in the alleyway notices that his pee is turning into little floating sparkles and drifting into the sky rather than onto the hydrant he was watering.  She picks up a pallet of cinderblocks lazily, like she's making her bed in no hurry, and lines them up toward the waiting getaway car.  The driver notices cigarettes are floating out of his pack and that he feels rather disoriented, then something blocks the sun and it goes dark-- he looks out the window and sees a pallet of cinderblocks hovering over his hood-- he can't even curse before gravity returns, sparky starts peeing normally again, and the pallet of bricks crushes the engine block of his car as gravity kicks back in.

So if she were to

Offline Aida Rose

Re: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP REBOOT, M&F WELCOME!
« Reply #254 on: May 21, 2016, 09:09:03 AM »
9 or 10 feet wingspan, maybe. I think they can spread, flap, retract, the end? And that her bones are hollow. I'm not sure the exacts of how far she'd fly or where they'd go. I feel like in the beginning it'd be a struggle. Like I don't wanna go unreasonably high, but I also don't want to go super low because wanna fly. Maybe the very highest she can go is to the top of an average skyscraper, like 2k feet? (Long term I don't think she could go past 6-8k feet because of altitude sickness.) And how far, maybe across town. The only disappearing wings I've seen have been with Angel's tattoos, which is cute but maybe not what you're looking for, and Hawkgirl's wings growing out. Maybe it's painful for Nimah when they pop out?  They could flare out when certain emotions can heavy, fear, anger, maybe when she's feeling really light and flighty while dancing. That'd mess up practice! What do you mean by certain conditions? I mean, it wouldn't be a good idea for her to go out on anything but a clear sky. She can have trouble controlling the wings, though not steering in general since that's what (I think) they're for. She glides. She'd need stuff like goggles to protect her eyes and so on if she ever wants to go very fast, but I think right now she doesn't have the power to do that.

« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2016, 09:16:45 AM »
Well, you can learn to bank and tilt and that's how you steer...and I'm ok with her being able to take off from the ground, so long as she isn't instantly going at 80MPH :P

Ok, so, how fast do you think she can go, both at the start and Hard Max?

Also, perhaps they don't "pop out" like Hawkgirls...maybe they fold up like Angels, so they can go beneath her clothing but if she goes topless, you can see them? I mean, if you don't want them to be uber painful when they spring out, them folding up under her clothes seems like a reasonable solution. :-)

Other than that, those all look good. :-) Once the two points above have been addressed, edit that into your Bio - in the relevant categories; drawbacks and limitations would go under "Flaw" - and then whip up a Writing Sample for me and we should be good to go :-)

Ixy:

But...surely if they travel into an area that has higher gravity than the one they just left, that would have some kind of impact on them, right? I mean, they're suddenly being pulled towards the ground with more force than they were five seconds ago, so surely that would have some effect? Unless I'm misunderstanding the nature of the power? Does she reduce the pull of gravity on a specific object, or in a specific radius around a certain area? She can move the bubble, correct? So she can move it with the object, that's fine. But if the object left that bubble, surely the sudden change in gravitational pull would impact it in some way. It wouldn't just ignore the greater force exerted on it, right?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:20:33 AM by Vergil Tanner »

Offline Aida Rose

« Reply #256 on: May 21, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »
Well, you seem against 80mph, but maybe her hard max's 60-70 mph? And generally she's more below 40mph. I'm not great at measurements, if you haven't noticed >.>

I wanted to avoid the fold-up because she's a beach bum and on the swim team. Unless that's too easy, I'd be down for the pop out just being very sudden and inconvenient. It wouldn't really cause any wardrobe malfunctions for the same reason the fold-up wouldn't conceal for long. EDIT: I can do the fold-ups x(( could they not be really lumpy?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:35:35 AM by otaco »

Offline MissFire

« Reply #257 on: May 21, 2016, 09:47:18 AM »
Whoa, Nimah is totally smokin' hot. She'd make Francoise a stammering mess.

SWEET CHOCOLATE ANGEL!

« Reply #258 on: May 21, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »
Haha, I'm not against 80 as a Hard Max necessarily, just against her going from 0-80 in 0.5 seconds. ;) :P

But yeah, 70 as a Hard Max and 40 as a general average seems fair. :-)

Well, that's up to you, but you need to come up with a disadvantage to the "pop outs," since the obvious disadvantage with the Fold Outs is that they're visible and get in the way a little...so if you can think of a reasonable drawback for the Pop Outs, then I don't mind her having Pop Outs. :-)

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #259 on: May 21, 2016, 09:49:13 AM »
Why not psychic wings or something?  Sorta avoid that and maybe expand to like throwing psychic darts or something later?  Just throwing out stuff.

Offline MissFire

« Reply #260 on: May 21, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
Psychic wings mean she'd have to concentrate to use them and if her concentration breaks the wings go away, so that's a disadvantage right there.

Offline Ixy

« Reply #261 on: May 21, 2016, 10:01:18 AM »

Ixy:

But...surely if they travel into an area that has higher gravity than the one they just left, that would have some kind of impact on them, right? I mean, they're suddenly being pulled towards the ground with more force than they were five seconds ago, so surely that would have some effect? Unless I'm misunderstanding the nature of the power? Does she reduce the pull of gravity on a specific object, or in a specific radius around a certain area? She can move the bubble, correct? So she can move it with the object, that's fine. But if the object left that bubble, surely the sudden change in gravitational pull would impact it in some way. It wouldn't just ignore the greater force exerted on it, right?

You're right-- the force affects everything inside the field, but doesn't affect any force but gravity in that area.  If an object leaves the field it's subjected back to normal Gs, but it's still moving with the same speed/acceleration/etc. it had when it left.  Even if she could make an object completely weightless inside a field, it'd better be moving if she wants it to go any distance outside a field before gravity pulls it back to earth.

Offline Amarlo

« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »
Psychic wings mean she'd have to concentrate to use them and if her concentration breaks the wings go away, so that's a disadvantage right there.

I dunno, I think her having to concentrate on them that hard to use them is a huge disadvantage that wouldn't really be fair to the character.

It could just be a morphing ability. Or some sort of matter conversion ability that takes debris from the air and pulls it in to make it wings? Then when she disperses it, it turns into dust/ash around her? That could look really neat. The disadvantage could be that if there's no/limited material in the air/area that she can use to convert, then she can't form/fully form her wings? 

« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2016, 10:08:09 AM »
Ixy:

Yeah, but surely the increase of gravitation pull would influence it somewhat, since it is now facing a greater level of pull towards the ground than it previously was; in laymens terms, it's gotten heavier (effectively speaking), so wouldn't that impact the objects velocity since its very weight has changed? It would be moving with the same velocity, yes, but that velocity would have to propel a greater effective weight, since the gravitational pull has increased. It now has more resistance to work against, so surely it would slow down faster, or fall to Earth faster than it would have had it remained in the field?

Everybody Else:

I appreciate the enthusiasm and you can of course feel free to chime in and help, but maybe you should slow down and let Otaco respond to your ideas before going any further with it. ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:09:30 AM by Vergil Tanner »

Offline MissFire

« Reply #264 on: May 21, 2016, 10:24:17 AM »
 ::)

Sure. Good luck, Otaco.

Offline Aida Rose

« Reply #265 on: May 21, 2016, 10:35:15 AM »
I think my problem's that I want it to stay physical because I'd be more into her getting enhanced agility eventually than psychic darts and got it into my head that the wings go w/ the dancer thing. Though those ideas are all good and Amarlo's debris wings sound awesome. Would an overly high metabolism work? And that their manifestation isn't very quick and their disappearance is straight up slow? That's all I can think of x/ I'd go with the fold-ups but I thought of ballerina leotards and that'd straight up ruin her life.

Sure. Good luck, Otaco.

Thank you x)

« Reply #266 on: May 21, 2016, 11:15:13 AM »
Yeah, that sounds fine. :-) If you edit all that we've talked about into her bio and work on the Writing Prompt, we can get moving ASAP. :-)

Online Birchleaf

« Reply #267 on: May 21, 2016, 11:32:29 AM »
Yep. got to get as many people in pre-Event as we can. Easier to introduce before than after, I would assume. Not that I know the nature of said Event (except that capitalized common nouns usually indicate important things).

Offline Aida Rose

« Reply #268 on: May 21, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »
Okay, I'm adding them now. I'm just gonna ask because I want it. Could she have enhanced agility to go with the hollow bones? Nothing crazy, like just peaked for a human.

« Reply #269 on: May 21, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »
Hmm....not immediately, but as something that develops alongside her flight abilities? Sure, I don't see why not! She'd need it to accurately fly around anyway, right? :-)

Offline Aida Rose

« Reply #270 on: May 21, 2016, 11:45:01 AM »
Yeah! Cool.

« Reply #271 on: May 21, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what you've got for us when the Bio is complete! :D

Offline Aida Rose

« Reply #272 on: May 21, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »
Hmm >.> have low expectations. I'm writing it now. It'll up soon-ish.

« Reply #273 on: May 21, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »
Let me know when it is :D

Offline Aida Rose

« Reply #274 on: May 21, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »
Here it is:
Writing Prompt 2

Nimah couldn’t sleep and refused to think about why. She threw the covers off her and pulled on a pair of tight shorts. For some reason, she smelled salt, thought of a pierced tongue and his name on her own tongue, when she pulled on her flip flops. Her parents were awake. Their mutters washed over her light footsteps. She froze when her mother wailed, a despondent string of a drawn out name, and then she booked it out, dashed past a trashcan of neatly wrapped presents. The night air chilled her, but she didn’t go back in for a sweater. It wasn’t worth getting trapped in that house.

She made her way to the beach, grumbling, hands worrying through her thick, unruly hair. Suddenly, it felt like a bad idea to rush out like this. There could be sleep in her eyes, dried drool on her face. She rubbed around her mouth, furiously. I'll look like a creep, she thought, sitting in the dark, waiting for him. I should go back. Her feet kept moving.

By the time Leon came out of the water, Nimah was buzzed. He was soaked, the rising sun emerged behind him like a halo. She hid her wandering eyes beneath her hair. Nimah offered Leon the joint when he reached her and he laughed.

“Where the fuck’d you come from?” He took a long, greedy drag.

“Your dreams, angel,” she said and waggled her eyebrows when he dropped down next to her on the rock.

His smile stayed long and lazy. Her heart shrieked when he kept looking at her. “Nah,” he decided, after a long pause. He dragged his eyes over her body and settled on her chest. “Too tame.”

Nimah took the joint back, elbowed him in the side to distract from her instinctive reaction. She opened her mouth to change the subject, talk about how beautiful the sunrise was because it was. Maybe he’d be corny and never take his eyes off her. He’d say something like not as beautiful as you and it’d be horrible and the best thing that ever happened. She’d eat it up. Except Leon’s mouth shot off quicker than hers.

“Don’t play coy with me, girl, waitin’ out in the dark don’t exactly spell hard to get.”

She should’ve punched him. Instead, she laughed. “Slow down! I can’t keep up with this ego. Who said I came out here for you?”

“Then why?”

“The beach, to lime,” she said.“I get restless.” Her voice went husky, definitely not by design. No one could prove otherwise.

“Yeah?”

When he leaned in, so sure of himself, she asked, “How would I even know you were here?”

She knew he’d be there because everyone knew he’d be there. Leon lived at the beach, went out to surf at ungodly hours because he was addicted. It was summer and he was alive, where else would he be? But she’d never admit that. Leon may’ve raised a skeptical eyebrow at that, but his minds was on more important things and his hand was on her thigh. She clasped her hand with his and raised it off her leg, resisted the urge to grow familiar with the veins along his neck. He rolled his eyes.

The first time she saw Leon, she’d been startled, had checked to make sure her panties hadn’t dropped. Tall, dark, handsome, the kind of drink you poured down slow. She’d told her friend, Marlo, “I’m gonna climb him like a tree.” And she would, but she couldn’t make it easy for him. Where’d the fun be in that? It helped the longer she stayed out of the glorified tomb called home.

“Calm down,” she said. “Buy me breakfast and we’ll see. You should be nice to me, anyways,” she added, “it’s my”—our— “birthday.” 

Nimah ignored his protests, his breakfast supposed to come after, his finish what you start girl, and smirked when he sighed, “Where?”