You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 08:02:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP, ALL CHARACTERS WELCOME!  (Read 18366 times)

Offline Asminen

Re: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP REBOOT, FEMALES NEEDED!
« Reply #225 on: May 13, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
The difference is in the nature of the power. Super Strength? They can say that they swung the fist and the other person can decide whether it hits or not. And if it does hit, it only affects the character physically, hurting, stunning or damaging them in some way. Mental based powers are different because it isn't affecting the person physically, it's tampering with how they think, feel, view the world and how they react to certain stimuli. I have always been a bit cautious with Mental Based Powers because of their GMing potential; telling somebody "I punched you and you were knocked over" is annoying, but saying to somebody "I manipulated your characters brain and now they're super angry and irrational" does more than just influence how they physically react, it changes how their character perceives the world and interacts with others in ways that the writer doesn't want, like or feel comfortable with. And since the name of the game is having fun, if you have an idea that the other players don't want to happen to their characters, we find a way to try and make everybody happy...but if we can't, we don't do the idea because it's about everybody having fun, and if one writer wants something to happen and seven don't, if you can't find a compromise...you go with the majority.

Quite frankly, I can see your side of it, but any mental powers - Telepathy, Compulsion / Suggestion, Emotional Manipulation, Empathic Reasoning, Post or Precognition, anything like that - need to be cleared with the GM and the players involved first to avoid stepping on peoples toes and possibly fostering ill will behind the scenes. If you can accept that, then I have no real issues with the power. If you, however, aren't willing to do that, you'd best choose a different power because GM oversight on Mental-based Abilities is nonnegotiable.

Okay, I'll do as you say. Perhaps when we get a better feel for how this works, we can readjust.

Writing prompt 50% done, but I'm at work now so it'll be up after I get home.

Offline Vergil TannerTopic starter

« Reply #226 on: May 13, 2016, 02:24:51 PM »
No problem; let me know when the Writing Prompt has been completed!

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #227 on: May 13, 2016, 02:28:43 PM »
Would a flaw of difficult to heal work well?  I could see that due to her different physical makeup medications lose their potency on her, IVs are near impossible to start and so forth.  Might be a neat tie in as she has to turn to the gadget character for her healing.

« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2016, 02:35:02 PM »
Yeah, that would work; it's tough to damage her, but when you do, she takes longer to heal and - in bad cases - needs to be actively "repaired" rather than healing naturally. That would work :D

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »
There.  Think I made all the adjustments right.

« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2016, 03:13:10 PM »
Okey dokey, no problem! All looks good to me, so all I need now is the Writing Prompt and we're in business. :D

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2016, 04:11:40 PM »
Prompt is up :: crosses fingers and prays:: 

« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2016, 04:15:12 PM »
No problem, looks good to me!

So if you send me the Code for your character sans writing prompt, then go to the two OOC's and start hashing out your characters Yearbook, that would be awesome :D

Offline MissFire

« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2016, 04:24:54 PM »
Pumpkin Seeds, feel free to send a PM if you want to go over that connection with Francoise for the yearbook!

Offline Asminen

« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »
Writing prompt done and added!

Offline Birchleaf

« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2016, 10:26:35 PM »
Well, I liked the story of the Ren Faire performance. It rang quite familiar to me, since back when I was seventeen I played in the Ren Faire as a bagpiper one summer. Part of a band rather than on my own, though. Anyway, good job!

Offline Asminen

« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2016, 10:54:02 PM »
Bagpipes. Those are way cooler than keytars... and do not tend to ruin the medieval experience because of all the technology. I always admired those who could perform at Ren Faires. Admired, not envied. Because Kevin may be able to do it, but it terrifies me.

Offline Birchleaf

« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2016, 10:58:12 PM »
They were modern bagpipes, so just as anachronistic as a keytar, actually. The highland pipes that they would have used in the actual renaissance era were quite different: for one they lacked the big bass drone. The band uniform I wore was modern Scottish rather than era-appropriate as well (the kilt as we understand it is more a creation of the post reformation era than the medieval or renaissance period).

Offline Asminen

« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2016, 11:17:33 PM »
Because obviously Renaissance Faires are bastions of historical accuracy and everyone made sure to approach you and inform you of your terrible mistake of using modern bagpipes and fake ancient Scottish attire.

... oh wait.

But, of course, any historical LARPer would know about the lie of the 'ancient kilt' and how bagpipes as we know it aren't what they used to be. And that was not a sarcastic sentence. Which sounds sarcastic when I say it like that, but that wasn't my intention... it's been a long day.

Offline Birchleaf

« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2016, 11:21:55 PM »
I think that Alek and Kevin will get on quite well with each other. Even if he does have German in his ancestry. Hopefully, he will not have an urge to do the quintessential German thing and invade Poland.

Great, that sounded like a really terrible sex joke. Between two straight dudes. Excuse me while I retire for the night...

« Reply #240 on: May 14, 2016, 04:19:49 PM »
Okey dokey then! Asminen, if you head over to the OOC's to say Hi, then send me the code for your Edited and Updated bio - using the [code ] BBCode - I can post it up and you can get to work on your Yearbook. :-)

Offline Ixy

« Reply #241 on: May 14, 2016, 10:31:42 PM »
OK, here's a ROUGH pitch for a character, with powers undeveloped intentionally

NAME: Mariana Rosario
SEX: Female

APPEARANCE: Face Claim: Lais DeLeon

At 5'3" and 110, Lais is strikingly attractive, caramel-skinned, and exquisitely fit.  She's almost -too- pretty, the kind of attractive that hints at insecurity or narcissism, matching stride with her obsessive exercise and care regimen. 

ORIENTATION: Pansexual

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single

TYPE: Fitness-nut, easily frustrated, competitive

POWER THEME: Gravity Control

POWERS and ABILITIES:
Fundamentals (Fitness junkie)
40 yard sprint - 4.7 seconds. 
5K Run - 0:18:39
Standing vertical leap - 55 cm
Standing broad jump - 205 cm
Deadlift - 220

When her powers emerged, Mari realized she could impact gravity within a semi-spherical and maneuverable "bubble".   If she concentrates/condenses this bubble-- which takes 1-3 seconds to form, depending on distractions-- she can amplify the power to almost double its current factor.

Power Level 1: Emerging Superhero
Sphere radius= 1-3 m (most of a person, motorcycle, bookshelf, small boulder, anvil, etc)
Power impact: Gravity range 0.5 to 1.5 Gs
Feat: Unreasonable athleticism - throw a ball, javelin, hammer, etc. farther, faster, and thus with more power, but also amplify its accuracy by adding gravity to target... requires great concentration for minor course correction

Power Level 2: Superhero
Sphere radius= 5-10 m (bulldozer, trailer or small house, big fucking bear, steam engine) 
Power impact: Gravity range 0.2 to  3 Gs
Feat: hyper-concentrate... shrinking the 10m radius to 10 cm requires extreme concentration and up to half a minute, but can amplify increased Gs to 10 Gs

Power Level 3: World-Class Superhero
Sphere radius 10-50 m (warehouse, battleship, helicopter, blue whale, Leroy Jenkins' dick)
Power impact: Gravity range 0.01 to 25 Gs

CHARACTER FLAW:

Power Flaws:
Gravity is a force of attraction between matter.  It's not centripetal or centrifugal force, although those FEEL like gravity... she can only affect matter's attraction to other matter.  She can bound like a deer by transferring gravity away from where she leaps, or she can throw a baseball over someone's head and have it drop on them like a cannonball-- but there has to be matter there to affect.  Energy itself has no mass, and light has so little that it's virtually impossible to affect it in real-time.  And there's always the chance that, if her powers were amplified beyond control, she could collapse something too much, effectively creating a microscopic gravity well-- swallowing up herself and anyone else in blast radius into a squishy marble that would instantly burst out in a messy, most unproductive way.
Character Flaws:
Mari has struggled with undiagnosed learning differences throughout her life, but has overcompensated with a focus on physical competition.  Insecure and fragile emotionally, she responds very poorly to attempts to diagnose her conditions or to help her academically.  These trigger her anxiety-- or anger would be a more appropriate definition-- to the point that she lashes out in potentially self-destructive ways, rejecting help and instead focusing on her strengths or on immediate consolations and distractions... partying, working out, having a fling, getting in trouble.  Her temper must constantly be kept in check, as she's been her own worst enemy since childhood.

BIOGRAPHY: 

Raised with dual-citizenship in the US and Brazil, Mari's home upbringing was a mix of challenging schools and neighborhoods-- between drug and gang-riddled public schools and private schools between Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Sao Paolo, she's seen both the worst and the best of all walks of life... enough to know that privilege and virtue are not entwined, and enough to know the trappings of poverty. 

Her father was a moderately famous professional wrestler, with a career lasting from the late 1970s to the mid 1990s, and her birth-mother was a Las Vegas showgirl he met in Las Vegas early in his his career as "The Bruising Brahman" before his career and fame peaked some years later as "The Strangling Sheik"-- no one in his audience knew that his nationality was actually Brazilian, and Mari grew up speaking fluent Portuguese as well as English and a little French.  She absorbed his obsession for physical fitness and often trained with him when she lived at home, remembering these as her happiest times, and resented his fame as the cause of her mother's alcoholism, her parents' divorce and remarriages, her father's dependency on painkillers and steroids.  Later she'd come to recognize the symptoms of multiple head traumas as a cause for his debilitation and early death despite his once pristine health.

Mari is currently still listed as being in the care of her stepmother, Ruisa Delgado, but after debts and contract reexamination it was clear that she would have no inheritance-- her stepmother blames her mixed experience with expulsions from various private schools as at least partial cause for this financial detriment, but in truth her father was, like many performers, the victim of bad contracts and a shift in public awareness.  She still has plans for higher education, despite her lackluster academic record, thanks to her exceptional skills at Track and Field and Football (soccer), and will probably have her choice of many schools-- primarily those in Southern California or the Southwestern U.S.-- for athletic scholarship... if she can keep her nose clean.

THEME SONG:
Puscifer, "The Remedy"

ALTERNATE IMAGES (borderline nsfw)
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Writing Prompt, Option 1
Trailers.  They call these things "Auxiliary Classrooms" but they're trailers.  Double-wide trailers stuck on the outside of the shitty, out-of-date school, and just like the main building the acoustic tiles are stained brown with rain water where the roof leaked, are pock-marked with thumbtacks where some teacher pathetically tried to display projects or a banner or some shit to make the place look better, are riddled with dried wads of technicolor chewing gum where dipshits stick them to the ceiling in their absolute boredom. 

It's an English classroom.  Like, I can speak English.  Why do I have to talk about ionic pentambeder and stuff to speak English...  There are posters up of people from the Renaissance looking sad and pasty-faced at each other.  Mari feels butterflies in her stomach, the presence of worry and being out-of-place, like she's in trouble already.  She hates that feeling, and for that reason she hates English.  It's like being ashamed of herself all the time in here, which is hilarious.  She doesn't cut up like the hoods in here, cussing the teacher, saying vulgar things... sure, the teacher's hot in a way, and it's easier to behave in class when she can just stare at the 20-something girl out of grad school and imagine what her face looks like when she cums... but THAT doesn't make her ashamed.  Hell, she isn't ashamed when she pops an illicit Adderall to stay awake in class, or when she's copied the answers to a quiz off the kid next to her that listens to nothing but 90s hip-hop.  She does what she's gotta do to get by.

She's ashamed because somehow she's watched this young woman for almost ten months and she's listened, she's taken notes, she's written down things about MacBeth and liturgical poetry and it just doesn't stick.  She's to study hall, or home that night to a trailer kind of like this but with better carpet and lighting, and she's read the notes she took and seen nothing but garbage on the page.  Black ink, scribbles, words that run together, half of sentences that would have made sense but don't quite.  She's tried, but it's always the same.  Maybe somehow something stuck, and when she wasn't calculating whether she should have another protein bar before lunch or asking herself if she could do 10K tonight or if she should do more weights instead... maybe some of these weird words and phrases stuck and she can spit out enough names and ideas to sound smart enough to pass this exam.  And maybe she won't have to do summer school with some desperate new teacher dodging verbal threats up front of a class of hoods with a cop outside the door.  Maybe she won't hear "fuck you bitch" seven times before noon and she can just have some time this summer to do things that other students do.

Then the page comes down, and there's multiple choices there, and Mari gets a little rush of confidence.  She actually manages to glance up at the teacher, just long enough to catch a glimpse of her JC Penney skirt where it clings at her panty-line as she goes by and smirk, and she clicks her pen and starts marking her answers.  Yes, she knows the first one.  It's Lord of the Flies so the answer is original sin.  The second one is about Frankenstein so she takes a pretty safe guess about responsibility for creation.  She doesn't know some, she skips them.  Her legs start to cramp, and she ignores the hissing come-on from the thick boy behind her who likes to ask her how she's getting it lately-- no need to even shut him down right now, she's in the zone.  She skips another, answers one.  She's got this.

She turns the page.  It's almost all blank. "What the fuck," she says softly, then looks up a little ashamed.  Her hazel eyes fix on the teacher's-- the teacher's eyes are brown, like her hair.  She should cut it, add some highlights.  Mari swallows dryly, looks at the page.  It's an essay, something about MacDuff.  She closes her eyes, she starts writing with her eyes closed and tries to just, like, let the words flow out.  She writes, she thinks, she writes more, just like she'd talk.  Everything about MacDuff, right?  He was a good guy, he was betrayed.  He was so loyal and shit.  Can't say shit.  Tick tick, the clock... she can actually hear the second hand on the cheap plastic clock over her head.  She looks back over the ink she's written so far-- it's a fucking mess, words she can't read.  She grimaces, the pit in her stomach flips.  She tries to clean it up but she can't remember what she was saying.  The pen dries out a little and she tries to give it more ink by scribbling in the margin... the margin looks like the rest of the page now.

"God damn," she tries harder, the paper tears.  She snaps it in her fingers and hisses in anger and reaches into her purse, pushes her keys around, finds a pen-- no that's an eyebrow pencil-- a pad, a lighter, a pen.  Fuck yes, back in business.

She tries to pick up where she left off but she can't remember what the hell that was, so she starts again.  Am i saying the same thing?  So what... just write it again.  Maybe it'll make more sense this time.  Fingers entangle in her hair, and she tries not to mess it up.  She doesn't want to look stupid, but she has to keep trying.  The page is a mess, and she's run out of space-- that's good right?  Maybe she'd better start a new paragraph.  She flips it over-- more blank space.  She writes and her hand is cramping up but she's used to muscle pain.

There's a metallic dinging sound-- a tone, like a cheap Casio keyboard-- the dismissal bell.  The exam's over.  She looks around and everybody else is done.  Snoop with dreadlocks is asleep with a blank page, and he just leaves, not giving a shit.  The thick boy behind her just rubs his hip against her shoulder as he squeezes through the aisles, and she's still got a page of short answer not finished.  Panic sets in.  Mari writes what she can, barely registering the short questions, just saying what she can about what she recognizes in the pieces they ask about because she can't understand the question.  She writes, and somebody says something stupid.  She shoots a glare, they shut up, she writes more.  The teacher angles closer, seeming a little concerned in that way that is half-pity and half-curiosity.  She can hear cars starting in the parking lot and she's still scribbling what looks like half-English... oh hell, that's because it is, she just answered a question in Portuguese.  She writes some of the words in English and fights back tears with a long sniff.

"Mariana?" the teacher asks, and she looks up.   The pen in her hand feels like a scalpel, and she just got caught chopping up somebody's pet.  "It's okay-- you can finish your exam, just take your time--"

And then the helplessness turns inside-out, like it tends to do.  Mari slams her hands down on the desk and stands up.  "I don't need TIME, I don't need ANY of this shit," she says in a hiss.  The teacher draws back, her pale skin turning pink with fear.  She's seen that before... it's a sure tell. This teacher cannot handle a school like this because she can't hide it when she's upset.  Mari folds the test... mostly completed, and hands it over.  She snaps up her purse and slings it over her shoulder, and she can hear cars starting in the parking lot-- booming bass, laughter, indistinct yelling in English and Spanish.  "I just..."

The teacher reaches her arm forward-- oh, naieve girl, you don't touch a student, even a pretty one.  Mari knows that the teachers aren't scared of her like they would be the bangers, the hoods, the ghetto kids.  They don't know.  "It's okay," the young woman offers, sounding sincere, "you can finish.  If you need a ride after, or whatever, I'll get you home." 

And Mari's anger is still there, going to burst out.  She broke her coach's jaw in Las Vegas last time someone caught her like this and touched her arm.  She swallows it, hangs onto it.  She takes her teacher's hand in her own and instead leans forward, opens her lips, and kisses the young woman's mouth.  She jumps back but Mari's too fast, she hears a desk scoot along the floor as the teacher almost falls over but she catches her with the exam still in her hand and kisses her harder.  Putting her whole body into it, she lets her breasts press to the escaping young woman before letting her go, and she stands with her hands folded behind her back, head cocked to one side, watching the look of shock on the pale young woman's face.  "Wha... that... I..."

"Don't know what to say?" Mari asks, the paper in her fingers like a fan as she offers it over.  "No right answer?"  She chuckles softly.  "Well, now you know how I feel." 

She drops the paper on the empty desk next to where the teacher is cringing away in a mix of shock and what might almost be arousal.  "Hope I passed.  Either way, look me up this summer."  She knows she won't, and she gives her a way out-- all the teacher has to do is pass her, let her go, and she won't have to report this or even mention it to anyone.  But as Mari walks out the door, her eyes sting with tears, and the shame is as pressing and real as ever before, and the pen falls from her fingers to clatter against the gaping, metal door of an open, empty locker, paper and books strewing the hallway floor like the other forgotten trash.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:56:56 PM by Ixy »

« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2016, 02:22:29 AM »
Ok, interesting....first thing's first, welcome to the application thread, Ixy! Good to see you! :D

So, the first thing I need to ask is what the Hard Limits of the power are; how big an object or area can she affect, how long does it take her to influence that area or object, what's the range on her power, is she able to affect herself or just the area around her, what negative effects might be created when she uses her power and when she gets more experience, might she be able to "Redirect" a localised field of gravity to - for example - allow her to walk up walls or something like that? Basically...what do you see the Hard Limits of her power being, and what do you see as the "Peak" of her abilities? :-)

Offline Ixy

« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »
Thanks Vergil-- Power limits are something I was looking for help on.  I wanted to remain balanced with the team, of course, and imagined that this is going to progress in phases.  Like, at first she might be disoriented by affecting gravity around her, unless she's directly influencing herself.  Like, if she's trying to lift a car off of someone, she could lower gravity so it would appear she's got super-strength, but actually she's just lifting a couple hundred pounds.   Or if someone is rushing to tackle her, she might make herself lighter and leap ten feet away in a bound, land light, and then take off running. 

At later stages, she could focus it on other areas with control... like to flip a car, she might make the engine block low-G and be able to squat it, then push it up and let gravity kick back in so momentum carries it over. Eventually, she might even be able to make that car weightless as a soccer ball so she can rush in and kick it, leaving it to tumble like it's in space until gravity brings it down hard.  Focusing a 'well' of gravity onto a wall would make things stick to it-- but not just her.  Any loose object within the field would be pulled to it with the same acceleration as if it was dropped.  Or, is someone aims a gun at her down an alleyway, she could create a gravity well somewhere in between so that the bullets sink and bury themselves into the asphalt or walls.

Eventually, at a "top level," she might be able to splat someone against the ground and completely incapacitate them, or crush a tank into a pancake, or cause just its engine to fold in on itself like someone had dropped a boulder under the hood. 

This of course raises complications-- if she's in zero-g and it's windy, she won't be able to hover-- she'll blow away like a kite unless she can fine-tune it to bring herself back to earth.  If someone fires a laser gun or energy beam at her, she had better get cover fast, cause that just ain't natural. 

It also makes sense for the gravitational attraction to require transference from matter to matter-- like she may become lighter, but the ground gets heavier, or at some point she can pull a missile out of the sky, but equal mass of objects around her will begin floating into the air.

I'm hoping that this is getting to where you would expect it to be... It's all up in the air right now, no pun intended.

« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2016, 04:02:26 PM »
Yeah, that all makes sense, and yeah, it would be going in stages...what we need to discuss is really the limits of the power; so, how big an object or area can she affect at any one time, to what degree, and does she suffer any negative effects when using her powers? Basically, are there DRAWBACKS to her abilities?

Further, I think pulling a missile out of the sky is a tad too much, especially considering that it would still...y'know, explode on impact. :P Maybe just stick to being able to affect specific objects nearby or certain areas, BUT cap the size / mass of the area / object. :-)

Offline Ixy

« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2016, 06:14:32 PM »
That's fine-- I think I read that we'd start with no powers at all, and if the game lasts long enough for the characters to develop their powers I'll trust your discretion as to what's a suitable mass/area limit.

« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2016, 06:18:23 PM »
Oh, I think you misunderstand...I expect the players to largely police themselves (with a couple of exceptions) within predetermined Hard Limits, since if I'm micromanaging everybodies power limits, I might not get the time to do anything else. XD So what I'd like us to do here is come up with predetermined limits for the powers for you to work within so I don't have to run around double checking everybody every time there's a post. :P

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2016, 02:07:47 PM »
Woohoo approved.

Offline Aida Rose

« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2016, 05:35:22 PM »
Hi! (I'm a little nervous sorry.) If you're still open for female characters, I'd be interested in playing a bisexual chick who can fly. I was thinking she'd have wings, but they only burst out when she needed them (like Hawkgirl in DC legends) because I'd be down for a power flaw being conspicuous but carting those around always seems like a lot x)

Offline Ixy

« Reply #249 on: May 20, 2016, 05:57:31 PM »
Dangit. This post was DONE, like, COMPLETELY, and I was just doing research in a secondary tab... when what do I get?  Oh, a screen hijacker fake BSOD malware page.  LOVELY.  After killing Chrome, the post was gone.  So this is the best recreation available ;)

Fundamentals (before the powers emerged)
40 yard sprint - 4.7 seconds. 
5K Run - 0:18:39
Standing vertical leap - 55 cm
Standing broad jump - 205 cm
Deadlift - 220

When her powers emerged, Mari realized she could impact gravity within a semi-spherical and maneuverable "bubble".   If she concentrates/condenses this bubble-- which takes 1-3 seconds to form, depending on distractions-- she can amplify the power to almost double its current factor.

Power Level 1 (Post-event until major story change)
Sphere radius= 1-3 m (most of a person, motorcycle, bookshelf, small boulder, anvil, etc)
Power impact: Gravity range 0.5 to 1.5 Gs
Feat: Unreasonable athleticism - throw a ball, javelin, hammer, etc. farther, faster, and thus with more power, but also amplify its accuracy by reflexively adding gravity to target.

Power Level 2 (After major story change)
Sphere radius= 5-10 m (bulldozer, trailer or small house, big fucking bear, steam engine) 
Power impact: Gravity range 0.2 to  3 Gs
Feat: hyper-concentrate... shrinking the 10m radius to 10 cm requires extreme concentration and up to half a minute, but can amplify increased Gs to 10 Gs

Power Level 3 (the "yeah right we'll never make it this far" level)
Sphere radius 10-50 m (warehouse, battleship, helicopter, blue whale, Leroy Jenkins' dick)
Power impact: Gravity range 0.01 to 25 Gs

---  BTW - welcome new people.  I am pretty sure that Vergil said this game is openly recruiting indefinitely, so good luck Otaco