You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 06:30:48 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP, ALL CHARACTERS WELCOME!  (Read 18423 times)

Offline Vergil TannerTopic starter

Re: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP REBOOT, FEMALES NEEDED!
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2016, 06:54:04 PM »
Asminen:

Hey there! Of course you're welcome to pitch a concept!

They both sound like very interesting characters in their own way, so which one you play is entirely up to your own preference, HOWEVER emotional manipulation would be heavily moderated by the GM (me) and other players, since it runs the risk of tiptoeing into "telling other people how their characters feel." As for Jennifer, you would need to heavily define what she can and can't do, and submit to GM regulation of her tinctures...I have no issue having a "Natural Remedy Technopath," of sorts, but she'd need to be power scaled according to the game and along similar lines to our just-approved Scientific Technopath. If you decide on a character and power, write up a concept for them and I can go through the powers and background and whatnot in more detail and iron out any issues I have. In terms of character personalities....there isn't really a preference from me.

Intimate:

Okey dokey, well, whip up a basic summary of his newly focused powers, post it, and then I can revise it and hopefully get it approved pretty soon. :-)

Offline Birchleaf

« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2016, 06:56:01 PM »
I will just say that either power would mesh well with my own. Either I can make kick-ass guitars and speakers for Kevin, or working in a lab with Jennifer would be the best. Together, we could create some true marvels!

Or blow the world up. I am open to either option, really.

Offline Carlissa

« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2016, 07:38:55 PM »
Kevin Barrows
Personality: He's a Power Metal enthusiast and nerd extraordinaire. Dungeons and Dragons, Live Action Roleplaying, Video games, and Sci-fi and fantasy books/television are his favorites. His second passion is music, and he has his faithful companion, the keytar dubbed AE-DE, with him at all times. With which he plays songs about vikings and epic magical medieval adventures. He aspires to be pretty much a modern day bard, and his new powers will help him achieve his goals.
Power: At the beginning levels, he's able to incite basic emotions (anger, fear, joy, sadness, lust, confusion) with his favorite instrument and, to a much lesser degree, his voice. As he gets more powerful, he can get into the more complex emotions, and affect animals too. Unfortunately, that favorite instrument relies on having a charged battery or some other sort of power source. His power also scales on what sort of amplification units he has access to. With just his instrument, he can incite emotions in those near him... assuming they don't all plug their ears. And he can't just play any song – its emotion has to match the one he wants to coax from others. I'll get more into its limitations and strengths if people like him better.
Kevin is much more developed as a character, since I've played him before.

We could have a Dungeons and Dragons session in the RP! We would be playing a role-playing game in a role-playing game! Sounds fun!

« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2016, 07:46:20 PM »
Hold your horses, Carly....you haven't even provided a completed concept yet, so maybe focus on that first. ;)

Offline Asminen

« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »
We could have a Dungeons and Dragons session in the RP! We would be playing a role-playing game in a role-playing game! Sounds fun!

Oh my goodness, yes! Kevin (and I) would be totally down for that! I do think I'll go with him, and we'll see how he does once his powers are fleshed out.

Offline Intimate Ink

« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2016, 07:56:15 PM »
Hey there: me again!  As requested:

Power Revisions v2

Quick Reference Chart
Level            People            Objects            Places            Hex/Blessing Level        Duration            Themed Effect Specification            Multiple Fields?
NeonateYesYesNoMinor1 hourNoneNo
AmateurYesYesNo Larger Than a ClassroomModerate8 hours50% AccuracyNo
PracticedYesYesNo Larger Than a School AuditoriumMorderate24 hours75% AccuracyYes
SeasonedYesYesNo Larger Than a School AuditoriumMajor72 hours90% AccuracyYes

Neonate
Requires: An event of power.

Making My Own News - Due to the in-game even Jordan may manipulate probabilities around a person or thing to create minor fields of either fortune or misfortune that last around one hour per use.  In order to do so, Jordan must first have a photograph featuring the face of the individual, or the object within his possession.  At this level Jordan may not specify the blessing or curse. Deletion or destruction of the photograph instantly destroys the effects of the blessing or curse.  During the duration of the field, the contents of the photograph slowly fades, whether online or a physical copy, and may no longer be used for future ability attempts.  Jordan may only have one blessing and one hex field open at any time.

Amateur
Requires: Neonate Level + Around one in-game month of regular practice,  or (another) unexpected event of power.

Newsworthy (Unreliable Passive)  - Jordan is intrinsically tied now to the fates and fortunes of those around him.  He often can simply sense disruptions to the normal field of probability that surrounds a person, place, or object.  Furthermore, he may get an unreliable sense of ways an individual's probabilities are affected by their surroundings.  (For example, he might be quicker than most to realize that a student has a high chance of slipping as they walk across a freshly washed floor.)  This ability is completely unreliable and should never be treated so powerfully as a form of precognition; it is an ability to quickly pick up on the possible cause and effect relationships within the surroundings, nothing more arcane.  In practice, this is largely simply intended to allow Jordan a general idea of how to better aim his blessings and hexes in order to work with current probabilities rather than against them.

Making My Own News (Improvement) - Jordan may now manipulate probabilities around places in addition to people and things to create moderate fields of either fortune or misfortune that last around eight hours per use.  In order to do so, Jordan must first have a photograph featuring the face of the individual, the item, or featuring the location within his possession.  While he may attempt to focus the probability around a single theme, such as 'physical trauma' or  "financial gain' the 'good aim' it is unreliable at around a fifty percent success rate.  Deletion or destruction of the photograph instantly destroys the effects of the blessing or jinx.  During the duration of the field, the contents of the photograph slowly fades, whether online or a physical copy, and may no longer be used for future ability attempts.  Location-based probability fields my not exceed the size of an average classroom.  Jordan may only have one blessing and one hex field open at any time.

Practiced
Requires: Neonate Level + Six in-game months of regular practice, or (another) unexpected event of power.

Making My Own News (Improvement II) - Jordan may now manipulate probabilities around people, places, and things to create moderate fields of either fortune or misfortune that last around twenty-four hours per use.  In order to do so, Jordan must first have a photograph featuring the face of the individual, the item, or featuring the location within his possession.  While he may attempt to focus the probability around a single theme, such as 'physical trauma' or  "financial gain' the 'good aim' it is slightly unreliable at around a seventy-five percent success rate.  Deletion or destruction of the photograph instantly destroys the effects of the blessing or jinx.  During the duration of the field, the contents of the photograph slowly fades, whether online or a physical copy, and may no longer be used for future ability attempts.  Location-based probability fields my not exceed the size of an average school auditorium. 

Seasoned
Requires: Neonate Level + A year of in game-time regular practice, or (another) unexpected event of power.

Making My Own News (Improvement III) - Jordan may now manipulate probabilities around people, places, and things to create major fields of either fortune or misfortune that last around 72 hours per use.  In order to do so, Jordan must first have a photograph featuring the face of the individual, the item, or featuring the location within his possession.  While he may attempt to focus the probability around a single theme, such as 'physical trauma' or  "financial gain' the 'good aim' it is slightly unreliable at around a ninety-five percent success rate.  Deletion or destruction of the photograph instantly destroys the effects of the blessing or jinx.  During the duration of the field, the contents of the photograph slowly fades, whether online or a physical copy, and may no longer be used for future ability attempts.  Location-based probability fields my not exceed the size of an average school building.

(While I certainly do not expect the in-game calendar to push further than this, the possibility of future upgrades will be handled via conversation with the game-master if that ever becomes necessary.)

Other Sheet Revisions (to make everything make sense)

Headaches - (Revised flaw) Jordan's superpowers are grounded in his mental abilities; as such use of them requires a degree of mental fortitude, and over-use of them results in mental exhaustion.  Due to his natural propensity towards migraines, this is the natural effect of this exhaustion.  The intensity and duration of the migraines are directly in proportional to both the power of the hex he is applying, the number of people or objects affected, and the number of other probability fields he has created in the recent past.  Overuse will result in debilitating effects that will prevent him from concentrating enough to further use his power.

Karma - (NEW flaw) Jordan must always balance a blessing with a hex or vice-versa.  Once a field opens, Jordan must apply the opposing degree and spectrum of fortune onto another target before that field dissipates.  If he does not, Jordan himself becomes the target of the opposing field.  He has no control over how this new field will behave, and unlike his intentional power, even 'so-called' lucky fields may be subject to certain monkey-paw style effects (ie inheriting money to pay a debt... through the passing of a loved one.)

« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2016, 08:11:36 PM »
Ok, looks a lot better! Though how big an object can he affect with the field? Is there a progression there as he goes along? And is there a progression to how many people he can affect at one time, and how strong that effect is?

Slight nitpick, but is "95% Success Rate" really "slightly unreliable?" I'd say a 5% failure rate is pretty darn good :P

I'd also reduce the time limit that the fields display. I mean, 1 hour as a starting ability right from the get go seems a little powerful considering he's only just realised he has powers...surely there's a bit of an intermediate stage where he can only maintain it for a few minutes and has to increase his strength level through practice, right? And having an 8 hour field that he doesn't have to consciously maintain is a little excessive, isn't it? Or does he have to consciously maintain it or it collapses after a certain time, and those limits are just how long he can keep it up for after activation?
Also, I assume we would discuss between us what form any good or bad luck in these fields would take, correct?

Offline Intimate Ink

« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
Ok, looks a lot better! Though how big an object can he affect with the field? Is there a progression there as he goes along? And is there a progression to how many people he can affect at one time, and how strong that effect is?

I'll provide object and 'maximum number of people' guidelines in the chart below. 

Slight nitpick, but is "95% Success Rate" really "slightly unreliable?" I'd say a 5% failure rate is pretty darn good :P

If you noticed my chart actually had 90%, which was my intention.  It got missed in my revisions from earlier versions.  I'm not sure what number of probability 'slight' maps onto, though, honestly?

I'd also reduce the time limit that the fields display. I mean, 1 hour as a starting ability right from the get go seems a little powerful considering he's only just realised he has powers...surely there's a bit of an intermediate stage where he can only maintain it for a few minutes and has to increase his strength level through practice, right? And having an 8 hour field that he doesn't have to consciously maintain is a little excessive, isn't it? Or does he have to consciously maintain it or it collapses after a certain time, and those limits are just how long he can keep it up for after activation?
Also, I assume we would discuss between us what form any good or bad luck in these fields would take, correct?

Done.  Apologies, I was trying to err the opposite way since you told me my original draft was making him too weak.  I suppose power is also subjective in the sense I'm not sure how he would know if he opened a minor probability field around the character for five minutes, asI would not expect it to usually to have any effect at all in that time period.

As for the exact nature of the effects, it has been my intention to leave that to you in formal scenes and plots, while working it out among consenting players in more casual play.

Power Revisions v3

Quick Reference Chart
Level            People            Objects            Places            Hex/Blessing Level        Duration            Themed Effect Specification            Multiple Fields?
NeonateYesYes (no larger than a baseball)NoMinor5 minutesNoneNo
AmateurYesYes (no larger than a baseball bat)No Larger Than a Classroom / 4 PeopleModerate30 minutes50% AccuracyNo
PracticedYesYes (no larger than a desk)No Larger Than a School Auditorium / 8 PeopleMorderate2 hours75% AccuracyYes
SeasonedYesYes (no larger than a bleacher)No Larger Than a School Auditorium / 12 PeopleMajor8 hours90% AccuracyYes

Neonate
Requires: An event of power.

Making My Own News - Due to the in-game even Jordan may manipulate probabilities around a person or thing to create minor fields of either fortune or misfortune that last around five minutes per use.  In order to do so, Jordan must first have a photograph featuring the face of the individual, or the object within his possession.  At this level Jordan may not specify the blessing or curse. Deletion or destruction of the photograph instantly destroys the effects of the blessing or curse.  During the duration of the field, the contents of the photograph slowly fades, whether online or a physical copy, and may no longer be used for future ability attempts.  Jordan may only have one blessing and one hex field open at any time.

Amateur
Requires: Neonate Level + Around one in-game month of regular practice,  or (another) unexpected event of power.

Newsworthy (Unreliable Passive)  - Jordan is intrinsically tied now to the fates and fortunes of those around him.  He often can simply sense disruptions to the normal field of probability that surrounds a person, place, or object.  Furthermore, he may get an unreliable sense of ways an individual's probabilities are affected by their surroundings.  (For example, he might be quicker than most to realize that a student has a high chance of slipping as they walk across a freshly washed floor.)  This ability is completely unreliable and should never be treated so powerfully as a form of precognition; it is an ability to quickly pick up on the possible cause and effect relationships within the surroundings, nothing more arcane.  In practice, this is largely simply intended to allow Jordan a general idea of how to better aim his blessings and hexes in order to work with current probabilities rather than against them.

Making My Own News (Improvement) - Jordan may now manipulate probabilities around places in addition to people and things to create moderate fields of either fortune or misfortune that last around a half hour per use.  In order to do so, Jordan must first have a photograph featuring the face of the individual, the item, or featuring the location within his possession.  While he may attempt to focus the probability around a single theme, such as 'physical trauma' or  "financial gain' the 'good aim' it is unreliable at around a fifty percent success rate.  Deletion or destruction of the photograph instantly destroys the effects of the blessing or jinx.  During the duration of the field, the contents of the photograph slowly fades, whether online or a physical copy, and may no longer be used for future ability attempts.  Location-based probability fields my not exceed the size of an average classroom.  Jordan may only have one blessing and one hex field open at any time.  When a blessing or hex effects more than one individual, effects are limited to minor level.

Practiced
Requires: Neonate Level + Six in-game months of regular practice, or (another) unexpected event of power.

Making My Own News (Improvement II) - Jordan may now manipulate probabilities around people, places, and things to create moderate fields of either fortune or misfortune that last around two hours per use.  In order to do so, Jordan must first have a photograph featuring the face of the individual, the item, or featuring the location within his possession.  While he may attempt to focus the probability around a single theme, such as 'physical trauma' or  "financial gain' the 'good aim' it is slightly unreliable at around a seventy-five percent success rate.  Deletion or destruction of the photograph instantly destroys the effects of the blessing or jinx.  During the duration of the field, the contents of the photograph slowly fades, whether online or a physical copy, and may no longer be used for future ability attempts.  Location-based probability fields my not exceed the size of an average school auditorium.  When a blessing or hex effects more than one individual, effects are limited to moderate level.

Seasoned
Requires: Neonate Level + A year of in game-time regular practice, or (another) unexpected event of power.

Making My Own News (Improvement III) - Jordan may now manipulate probabilities around people, places, and things to create major fields of either fortune or misfortune that last around eight hours per use.  In order to do so, Jordan must first have a photograph featuring the face of the individual, the item, or featuring the location within his possession.  While he may attempt to focus the probability around a single theme, such as 'physical trauma' or  "financial gain' the 'good aim' it is quite reliable at around a ninety percent success rate.  Deletion or destruction of the photograph instantly destroys the effects of the blessing or jinx.  During the duration of the field, the contents of the photograph slowly fades, whether online or a physical copy, and may no longer be used for future ability attempts.  Location-based probability fields my not exceed the size of an average school building.  When a blessing or hex effects more than one individual, effects are limited to moderate level.

(While I certainly do not expect the in-game calendar to push further than this, the possibility of future upgrades will be handled via conversation with the game-master if that ever becomes necessary.)

ETA: Corrected text to match chart discrepancy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:50:46 PM by Intimate Ink »

Offline Amarlo

« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2016, 09:50:30 PM »
Just so you know, no one has their powers yet, Pumpkin Seeds! No one in the world has them yet and no one will be getting their powers until after an event ic.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:59:50 PM by Amarlo »

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #209 on: May 12, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »
Ah.  I will rewrite then.

Offline Asminen

« Reply #210 on: May 12, 2016, 11:25:48 PM »
NAME: Kevin Barrows

SEX: Male

APPEARANCE: Face Claim: Kyle Harris

Kevin stands at a slouching 5'10" and keeps pretty fit due to his active (yet nerdy) lifestyle. Until recently, he went to a school where they required him to keep his hair short. Now that he's at MWH, he's letting his hair grow out. At the moment, it's dark and wavy and reaches to about his shoulders. He can just about tie it back in a ponytail, and often does so. He's almost never seen without his faithful keytar, AE-DE that he modified to look like a kickass sword. He has her as close to him as he can get away with everywhere he goes. He tends to dress in casual t-shirts with some sort of nerd theme and slightly ripped dark wash jeans to keep up his cool, artistic musician's appearance. Sometimes he thinks he's a pretty cool dude by high school society's standards... but then he realizes he plays the keytar, which no one seems to appreciate as much as they should.

ORIENTATION: Straight

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single

TYPE: Nerd/Musician

POWER THEME: Bardic Performance. Or maybe Emomancer. He'll figure out what to call it.

He can incite emotions with his voice and magic keytar, AE-DE. In the beginning levels, he can only do simple emotions. For now, that means Anger, Joy, Fear, Sadness, and Lust. Once he starts playing the song, the emotion will gradually build until he's 30 seconds to a minute through the song, and he can keep the effect going if he plays another similar song right off the back of the first. His music can create new emotions (using both mundane and magical means), but it doesn't do anything to suppress anything people might naturally be feeling. If people are already feeling similar emotions, he's even more effective. People who know what are going on can choose to let his music affect them more, or they can choose to try to ignore it. With a strong enough will (or strong enough earplugs) people can ignore it entirely.

The song he plays acts like a sort of lighter to 'spark' the emotion he wants to incite, and his abilities 'fan the flames' until he gets the emotion strength desired or runs out of power he can put into the performance. The only way he can really control his power is by choosing the right song. Replaying the same song results in diminishing returns. Because of this, he has to memorize a variety of pieces in order to be truly effective. Also, the more complex the piece, the better it works. He can't just play a simple melody with one finger and expect everyone to run screaming. When simply singing, he's the weakest he can be. Only one or two people may be affected, and even then they can easily ignore what he's trying to do. If he can both sing and play his keytar, his powers are given a considerable boost. But people have to be able to hear both. With just the crappy little speakers on AE-DE he can affect people about sixty feet around him, assuming that there isn't a lot of noise going on. If he can get his hands on some amplifiers, his effectiveness shoots up. With an entire concert hall on his hands... or perhaps a helicopter with giant speakers... Too bad he's on a jobless high school income, and can only do all that in his wildest imaginings.

As his skill in the keytar increases, and as he acquires better equipment, his potency will increase as well as his fine control. He'll be able to incite more complex emotions. Confusion and its opposite, concentration, could be on the list. Perhaps even hunger or thirst would work out. His creativity will increase as well, allowing him to make a normally sad-sounding song incite anger or fear. He does have to actually change how the song is played to do this, so being able to accomplish this would reflect a vast improvement in his power and ability. At the start, he is nowhere near skilled enough.

CHARACTER FLAW:

Power Flaws:
- Especially when he doesn't have the best amplification, people can literally just stick their fingers in their ears and completely ignore him. This also goes for earplugs, noise-canceling headphones, excessive background noise, and screaming right back at him until he stops playing and goes away. People have to hear him to be affected.
- Aside from his music, he's just a normal human being. He can be killed pretty easily, especially if he's hauling around a bunch of equipment
- His music is less effective if people know about his power, since they will realize that any feelings they might experience are probably not their own. And they'll know to plug their ears.
- Kevin can't override strong emotions already felt by other people, especially if they are opposite to those he wants to incite
- Without his keytar, he's practically crippled. If someone breaks AE-DE, he's shit outta luck
- A psychopath wouldn't be affected, since they wouldn't experience that 'spark'

Character Flaws:
- When something doesn't interest him, he can't be bothered to put in any effort. This goes for classes that he doesn't like. He's really good at doing absolutely no homework, cramming for tests at the last second, and barely getting by with 'C' and 'C-' grades. He's a smart student, but squanders his intelligence.
- Kevin rarely takes things seriously, even when he really should.
- He can be too easy-going, which often results in people taking advantage of him.
- ...right up until he's not, and he flies into a near blackout rage. To put it another way, he's very slow to anger, but when someone actually makes his mad, he has pretty severe issues with controlling that anger. Sometimes it's righteous anger, but it's always something that he's incredibly embarrassed and remorseful about later. His triggers include but are not limited to extreme unfairness, extreme exhaustion, excessive bullying of himself or a friend, Rhinohiders (it's a LARPing thing), and anything 'magical' or 'superpowered' that would stir anger in him.
- Note that it's almost impossible to use his power when he's too angry

BIOGRAPHY: 

Kevin came from a long line of Scandinavians and German-English who migrated to America a couple hundred years ago. His mother was a hippy who lived most of her college life literally above a chicken coop, living on as little money as possible, and his father grew up on a farm. So when his parents came together in their financially stable mid-thirties, they achieved the perfect combination of frugality and self-sustaining practices... which resulted in a pretty happy and stable childhood for Kevin.

He grew up in his family home in Portland, Oregon with his older sister and parents in one averaged-sized, nerdy family. His mother wasn't just a hippy; she was also a trekkie. His father played the original D&D and several figurine-based strategy game. So from a young age, he was raised watching old Star Trek episodes and playing D&D with his parent's friends, and eventually his own. Which was an odd combination, considering the second most important part of his family's life (okay, first for them – but he always preferred gaming). His parents and sister were also active members of a non-denominational christian church near his home. He always found it... strange, but held his tongue and got a good christian education despite his lack of enthusiasm for the faith. At least it wasn't too hard, and at least his parents weren't ones to see the devil everywhere. Unlike a lot of christian parents, they didn't ban popular Sci-fi and Fantasy media and activities. Obviously. He grew up in a liberal area, so he's fairly used to seeing homosexuality and transgendered people. His christian background told him that they were mentally ill and actively participating in Sin. His actual opinions on the matter have yet to be decided. Kevin always had better things to think about, like what his character was going to do in the latest RPG, or what kind of medieval garb he should wear.

Life was great until his father was promoted and moved out to New York State. Near the end of his sophomore year. So he was forced to readjust and make new friends in time for all the important events that were paramount for a high school junior and senior in america to experience. So no hard feelings. Thankfully, at home, he aced tests and his old teachers weren't too strict about getting homework done. It was pretty easy for him to get into a good school such as Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson High School. MWH expected more from him than his other school. He went from Star Student to Completely Average Student Who Could Achieve So Much More If He Only Applied Himself. Which was also quite the adjustment. But he seems to be keeping his head above the proverbial waters. He even managed to make a few new friends and find a whole other network of nerds. Life is still pretty good, despite the upset.

Miscellaneous:
- LARPS. Plays a ranger who fights with a foam longsword and foam arrows
- Sort of has real-life sword fighting skills - would be pretty okay at it if he practiced more
- Lives by himself in a small apartment currently, supplied by his parents since they were too far from the school to easily commute. His father's new job made them able to easily afford it.
- Spends most weekends with his parents
- His sister is still in Portland, which he hates
- He doesn't have a car; he walks or bikes everywhere
- His favorite video game series is Mass Effect
- Kevin's favorite author is Terry Pratchett (RIP)
- Virgin

THEME SONG:
Falconer - The Past Still Lives On

Writing Prompt, Option 3

Kevin stepped out of his mom's minivan and into the flowing crowd of an odd amalgamation of people spanning from the distant past to the present. There were people in short, tank tops, and fanny packs walking alongside knights in shining armor. Colorful fairies flitted past people in sunglasses and Hawaiian shirts. Half the people spoke in very bad accents that were supposed to be Scottish or old english or... God knows what, really, while others spoke in their native, New York accent. Cars drove up to deposit pirates. It would have been a jarring sight to see for a passerby who had no idea what was going on. For Kevin, however, this was a sight to instill excitement and a sense of belonging – even if he had never been to this particular place before.

Today, he had joined many of the others attending this faire and dressed himself as a pirate. Which consisted of an awesome hat, a billowy crimson shirt, and loose black pants that were tucked into knee-high brown boots. There were other, smaller details, of course. He couldn't quite grow a goatee and mustache yet, but that didn't stop him from gluing fake ones to his face. There was a rapier at his hip – peace bonded, of course, and never meant for battle anyway. The only thing that didn't quite fit in was the grey and white keytar slung to his back with the letters AE-DE etched on the side. But she did kind of look like a giant sword, so it didn't entirely ruin everyone's medieval experience. That's what he told himself, anyway. Not that he'd be the only person slightly out of place in this forest filled with renaissance-style buildings.

After a moment to take in the scene, Kevin marched over to the booth set at the side of the entrance. “My name's Kevin Barrows.” He introduced himself to the bored-looking girl in a corset that lifted her breasts up so far that it looked uncomfortable. Not that Kevin was going to complain. What was a Ren Faire without ample cleavage? “I'm the keytar guy. The event coordinator, Mr. Tommison said that he had a space for me to play?”

“Vender ticket.” She said in a flat tone.

“Right, uh-” Kevin's hands hit his his many pockets in search of a a thick, glossy rectangle of paper. One pocket was stiffer than normal. “Here.” He said with a grin of triumph. He managed to not leave his ticket behind this time.

“Go to the information booth just inside.” The woman said, and then her attention was already on the next customer.

Pirate Kevin walked as fast as the crowd let him into the non-specific old-timey gates of the New York Renaissance fair. It was like any other fair across the country – expect this one was one of the few that were allowed permanent structures. He paused to stare in wonderment at the Satyr with impressively convincing goat legs bob by, but soon he managed to focus his attention on the small booth that indicated it was for visitors. Soon after that, he found himself set up in a little corner of the forest that non a lot of people passed. There weren't even speakers or a microphone. And it was absolutely perfect.

An excited light in his eyes, he sat down upon the only thing on the stage; a small stool. His sword-shaped keytar shrugged off of his shoulder and onto his lap in a smooth, practiced motion. Kevin looked up with a grin to see if his little flourish was noticed. An old woman who looked like she just needed a place to sit settled onto the hay bales in front of the stage. She didn't look impressed. She probably didn't see it. Kevin looked back down at his lap, placed his hands in the correct position, and began his song.

He was the mind traveler. His quest was man's destiny.

Dexterous fingers flew across the keys, and his strong voice accompanied the well-practiced music he played. His eyes were both on the keys, and on the growing crowd in front of him. If five whole people and a child who didn't look to be paying any attention at all counted as a crowd. But when he was done, a whole four of them clapped – and it wasn't the polite golf clap, either. They looked like they had truly enjoyed his music! Beaming, he stood and bowed, then held out his hat to receive six dollars in appreciation.

It was a good performance, considering that it was his first.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 04:58:31 PM by Asminen »

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2016, 12:53:43 AM »
NAME: Nuo Qiang

SEX: Female

APPEARANCE:

There are few things Nuo takes more pride in than her own body.  To say that she treats her physical self like a temple would be an understatement and the effort shows.  Lean and muscular she possesses an intimidating amount of power for a woman standing five feet and four inches.  Much of her body seems sculpted in hard lines etched into the tanned skin of her ancestry.  Such hard lines even extend toward her face with high, regal cheek bones and a sharp chin that makes her appear arrogant at a glance.  Her eyes carry the distinctive shape of her Chinese roots and bear intensity from her competitive nature.  Despite this edge to her features the woman always seems to be smiling and full of youthful exuberance as if there might be a game afoot any second or a race to be run.

Indeed her choice of clothing reflects this attitude as she always seems to be wearing sporting gear and clothing.  Track pants or sweat pants tend to be her norm.  A sports bra worn up top with t-shirts or loose blouses to keep her cool also adorns her regularly.  Colder months see a North Face jacket worn over much the same outfit.  There are always fresh running shoes on her feet.

ORIENTATION: Bicurious

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single

TYPE: Jock

POWER THEME:

Living Metal

A strange alloy seems to either be derived from changes inside her body or is replicating itself to spread throughout her body.  Muscle and sinew are not merely becoming sheathed in this material but are seeming to alter into the increased density and strength of the alloy.  This has enhanced the strength of Nuo several times her previous levels.  Alternatively this has also increased her weight several times over into the four hundred pound range.  Joints have similarly hardened and condensed under the strain to bear her new found weight.  The rigidity of her skin has increased to withstand impacts at a higher velocity and level.  Pool cues break against her skin and the strikes of stronger opponents are shrugged away.

Another aspect of her abilities has been the emergence of metallic bands along her arms or legs.  There does not seem to be enough at one time to cover both arms and legs at the same time, instead extending down one limb at a time.  The metal seems able to shift quickly down her limbs and across her body rapidly.  Additional time, training and growth of the metal may lead to more being available for her use in the future.  For now once her limb is encased in the metal she strikes with greater force and is able to absorb additional damage to that area alone.

CHARACTER FLAW:

Competitive – Second place is just another term for the first to lose.  There is no tolerance in her household for someone that cannot be the best and Nuo carries that weight with her every minute.  Everything she sets her mind to must be the best and she can accept nothing less.  Whether having to have the highest score at a martial arts exhibition event, scoring the most goals at a soccer meet or having the highest GPA for her class there is simply no place for second.

Outsider – The daughter of immigrants, Nuo has never truly been allowed to fit into the world around her.  Childhood friends were the children of other immigrants.  Nobody from outside the family was allowed to stay the night and as she grew up the pressure of academics and sports gave her little time for even those friends.  Much of life is unknown to her as she is allowed only school and sports to vent her youth.  She has never driven a car, kissed anyone, gotten even a detention or gone to a single party in her entire highschool career.  This has given her a reputation as being aloof and haughty as she seems to refuse participation with anyone.

Delayed Healing - The physiology of Nuo’s body is steadily altering and shifting with the introduction of this metallic alloy such that the normal process of healing has slowed.  While difficult to damage her body is also difficult to heal as it resists alteration of any kind.  Medical interventions are large ineffective or made extremely difficult.  Alternative methods may be required for serious and grievous injuries.

Limitations to Powers – The enhanced strength, durability and speed are equal to a professional trained athlete but fall short of superior in any category.  Fighting her would be similar to facing off against a male UFC fighter in a higher weight class, but not against an inhumanly powerful figure.  The metallic shift of her limbs is infrequent and she is trying to develop more control.

BIOGRAPHY: 

Qiang Nuo, later to have her name rearranged, came into this world in the worst sort of way.  The first daughter of the family came into this world as her parents were fleeing religious persecution in China.  Practitioners of Falun Gong, the family refused to subjugate their beliefs for the communist party and so fled their home country for the shores of the United States of America.  So while happy for the birth of their daughter, the couple was dismayed at her timing as they were currently inside a cargo container on the Pacific Ocean when their daughter made her debut.  Nuo would not be denied her birth though and came into the world screaming and kicking. 

Landing on the shores of the United States proved to be the easiest part of the journey for the young couple, their older son and now daughter.  Asylum would initially be denied to the family and debts were expected to be paid for the travel to America.  The family took up residence with others in their situation so that a close knit community was soon formed.  Continually her family fought for freedom in this country, the right to practice their religion and raise their children as they saw fit.  For many years the couple was denied.  Nuo remembers little of this period except that she was kept inside a great deal and allowed only to be with her family or with those close enough to her family to be near the same.  From such people she learned the movements of Falun Gong and also the beginnings of martial arts.  At one time both her parents were quite accomplished in Wu Shu, her father an athlete and her mother an actress.  So their knowledge was passed onto their children, but for Nuo the knowledge found a deeper root.

Among the refugees in their small community, Nuo found another instructor.  This one practiced a form called Wing Chun.  Between the two forms of martial arts the young woman found enough outlets for her energy to avoid trouble inside the community.  Indeed she dedicated her body and time to the practice of both that her parents feared she would neglect her studies at school.  Indeed school was an entirely different problem for her family and for Nuo.  Being one of the few people that could claim citizenship in the United States, Nuo was also required to attend school.  Despite her friendly nature and desire to meet other people the young girl was given strict instruction to go to school and then immediately return home.  There was no time allowed for social interaction beyond the classroom and even sports were denied her until her parents were finally granted refugee status.

At the time she had hoped this would lift many of the restrictions.  Instead this allowed even more supervision as her parents now roamed outside their home to watch their daughter.  This at least opened the way for sports.  Wu Shu competitions had a small following in the area and once her parents saw the advantages of their daughter playing sports such as soccer and running track she was encouraged to join team sports.  There was some comfort in her parents coming to the matches and meets.  Normalcy settled into place until high school came calling.  Possessing a high GPA and budding athletic career immediately placed her in the good graces of administration. 

Nuo has still failed to come out from under the thumb of her parents’ control.  Senior year promises to give her some room to breathe as the year opens with a senior trip that has her parents in a near conniption fit.

Miscellaneous:

- Track Team as Sprinter
- Soccer Team
- Gymnastics
- Outside Competitions for Wu Shu exhibition
- Speaks Mandarin and English fluently
- Has aspirations of becoming an actress or stunt woman but is not allowed to join theatre.  Rare moments of free time she can be found hanging out there.
- Listens to techno and typically has headphones in place as a polite excuse not to talk to people

THEME SONG:

Here We Go

Writing Prompt
Art History? 

Who the hell ever used art history in any part of their life?  Yet here she was deviating from her standard curriculum of mathematics, sciences, and language to study something that would never find a use.  Even a search on the computer revealed that the most popular use of art history was to teach art history.  Nuo Qiang had no intention of ever teaching art history and so had no real intention of participating in this class.  This would also be why this class was the closest she had ever been to failing or at least failing to her was anything below an A.  The book lay open on her lap this early morning while she wolfed down the breakfast before her.  Tiny sticky notes protruded from various pages and places inside the book while beside her was one notebook and then another.  One was written in her native tongue of Mandarin while the other was in English.  Writing her notes in two languages seemed to help.

The sticks waivered in her hand while she contemplated how little of the subject retained in her memory.  Then the noodles were shoved between her lips while trying to find some center of calm inside the stress.  Layers of wheat filled her mouth in the form of noodles soaked in a simple broth.  Already she was reaching for the dumpling before the bowl had even settled on the floor of her room.  A flip of the page and she cursed when broth splattered over her Mandarin notes and then onto her book.  From somewhere beyond the paper thin walls came her mother’s voice yelling at her about language.  Quick apology and then a glance to the clock.  Nuo nearly spit out the remainder of her food.  Time was up and she would soon be late for the first bell. 

Fingers laced around the strap of her duffel bag for practice afterward and then the other strap of her actual book bag.  She dared now push the soaked notebook or textbook into her bag, so instead she took along her notebook written in English.  Some effort was given to zipping up the older bag which still held embellishments from elementary school on the surface.  Nuo’s parents saw little point in buying her another book bag when this one had lasted just long enough.  For the nine-hundredth time this year alone she wished ill on her bag.  Yet previous wishes had only resulted in additional stitch work of pink on the outside.  Another dumpling stuffed into her mouth and she was gone.

Her father looked up from his work on some machine or another long enough to ask who was taking her to school.  Through a mouth of steamed roll and eggplant she said her brother’s name before giving her hasty respects and running out the front door.  An old Nissan rattled its way toward death in front of the house.  That the car still worked was a testament to their religious practices and not the skill of the mechanic, her brother.  Windows were kept rolled down for air conditioning the natural way as the pair made their way to school.  Already she knew the lecture was coming even as she pushed her face down more to stare at her notes.  A tug on her headphones signaled the start.

“Nuo, you gotta see there’s more to life than school and sports.  Come on?  Can’t you do something else?  I can pick you up late if you want, just say the car was having problems.”  As if on cue the vehicle sputtered to death and then wheezed back to life again in the span of seconds.

“Your car is a problem.  Besides finals are coming up and I need to keep my average.”  Nuo shifted her long legs so that she faced away from him.  The sweat pants did little to hide the powerful muscles of her body or the curve of the hips they hugged so feverishly.

“All I’m saying is you missed Homecoming, you missed Junior Prom, you missed Back to School and I’m pretty sure you’ve missed everything else this year.  Come on.  Mom and Dad will just blow smoke and give you the bad eye for a few days.”

“Like they did you so that you moved out huh?  Yeah, no thank you.  Just let me out here.  I can cut through the soccer field and get there faster.”

The car seemed all too happy to comply with the demand to stop.  Even more so when the engine died completely and her brother gave an exasperated sigh.  Nuo did not have time to make sure everything was alright as she tore out of the passenger seat.  Long legs stretched out before her as she ran across the field.  A sprinter in track she had little trouble covering the distance in record time or even in leaping over a bench or two on the way to class.  Hurdles were also something she participated in doing at meets.  Nuo struck the school door with a thud and was soon inside.  Already she was trying to remember what she had studied last night for this test and then this morning.  Behind her the pony tail of ink-black hair trailed behind her, buoyed up by the speed which she ran down the hall.  Homeroom was missed but she would take the tardy.  This would be her first in her highschool career. 

Instead she launched straight for the door of her art history class.  Both bags came down with an audible collision on her desk.  A huff and a sigh signaled her final breath before she too came to rest in her desk.  The teacher just now announced the test to be open book so that everyone could have the start to a great summer.  Groaning, Nuo remembered the broth soaked book at home and nearly wanted to cry.  This did not promise to be a great summer.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:11:12 PM by Pumpkin Seeds »

« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2016, 09:40:29 AM »
Intimate Ink:

Right-ho! I can't see anything else that needs addressing, so feel free to send me the code for your updated character (sans Writing Prompt) so I can put him in the Approved Section, then hop into the two OOC's! Your next stage is coming up with a Yearbook entry for every character...I won't ask for a complete one before you start writing (though it is advised that you have it mostly done), only that over half of it is done, at least. So:
- Send me the [ code]
- Say hi in both Ooc's,
- And get working on that Yearbook! :D

Asminen:

Ok, so, a few bits and pieces...

The first is, MWH is a touch stricter than you may originally have imagined...though it doesn't have a specific uniform or dress code, it DOES have pretty strict rules about certain things. As such, if he took his Keytar into - say - Maths Class, he would be told in no uncertain terms to either put it in the cupboard and collect it at the end, or to turn around and leave the classroom. Plus, I doubt they'd let him take it into School Assemblies, so you might have to tone down the whole "Always takes it everywhere." :P

On the note of his background, remember the requirement in the Seeking Post: Everybody has to have been at the school for at least a year, so joining halfway through Junior Year isn't going to work. He'd have to probably join mid or 75% through Sophomore Year for your projected backstory to work with the setting and the rules.

On the powers:

Considering that before The Event, none of them had anything out of the ordinary that they could do, is his Keytar the magical one or is HE the one with the abilities, but he requires the instrument to focus and concentrate his abilities?
Further, what kind of strength of emotions do his powers instigate? Are they low level things, or overwhelming things? Do they create new emotions, or just accentuate ones that people already have? What is the limit to how powerful these emotions he inspires be? Can he turn mild annoyance into righteous fury, or is that too much of a change for him to manage? How much prep does he need in order to influence peoples emotions?
And I do need to caution you that any influence over other characters emotions have to be cleared with that player and me before you do it; if I start to think you're dictating what emotions their characters are having without consulting them, you and I will have words. ;)  Similarly, any influence over plot-related NPC's needs to be cleared with me first.
HOWEVER, I would take out the "Enhances another persons abilities;" I don't see how that links into the rest of his ability at all, since there doesn't seem to be any real connection to the rest of his progression. If that persons power is fuelled by their emotions then fair enough, but otherwise, I think that's going a touch too far. I would also suggest keeping the "An aggressive song inspires anger rather than calmness" as a Hard Limit and take out the "Creativity" aspect of things towards the end.

Pumpkin Seeds:

Ok, so, a couple of basic questions, then we'll get onto the power:

- When did she start MWH? Has she been there since Freshman Year, or did she join later on?
- Would you describe her as more warm and friendly or cool and detached? I get somewhat conflicting vibes from certain aspects of her bio, BUT that may just be me!

So, the powers:

- You say that her body is forming into a liquid metal-like substance...can you elaborate? Where do you see this power "Peaking," as it were? Do you see her becoming literally living metal like Colossus, or maybe a liquid metal like Mercury? Or just stopping at still being flesh and blood, just rather more powerful and durable flesh and blood?
- Since she's becoming more metallic, does that make her take on the perhaps obvious weaknesses, such as increased weight and vulnerability to electricity and powerful enough magnetic fields?
- I would drop the super speed aspect of her abilities and focus on the strength and durability that being made of metal implies; yes, she is getting stronger, but you would also imagine that turning into metal makes you heavier, which in and of itself somewhat reduces the speed you can move...so it would balance out. Perhaps have her start at peak human level, and then slowly grow from there in terms of strength.
- On that note, what do you see as her Peak in terms of strength and durability? I would have to say "no" to complete invulnerability, but enhanced toughness, I can work with. :-)

Oh, also, Pumpkin and Asminen, I will need writing prompts from you sooner rather than later. Ta! :D

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2016, 10:51:38 AM »
I envision that her family has been there since she was a baby.  Probably she lives in what would be like a Chinatown area or something if there is such a thing.  From that she has likely been through elementary school and was at this high school since her Freshmen year. 

As for her personality she is actually quite nice and warm, but she has no time for anyone or anything beyond school work and sports.  Considering she has probably known most of these kids since childhood and probably spent no time with any of them I imagine she would gain a reputation as being “too good” for them.  So while she does smile politely and warmly, she doesn’t stop to talk to anyone or really participate in any activities outside of sports and immediate academics.  She is always rushing to class, to another game or straight home.

The end goal of her metallic body would be something similar to Colossus.  This has become an odd marriage in my mind considering her style of fighting is very fluid and obviously Colossus is a bit of a lumbering tank.  Still I like the idea of her arms and legs transforming into metal as she fights, flickering back and forth so that she delivers these devastating strikes while at the same time her body remains fluid from her training.  I guess as she becomes heavier and more strength based her style might shift to more MMA as that would be off in the distance.

I am fine making her more about durability and strength.  Be interesting I suppose that suddenly scales start registering her as 300 to 400lbs and she is this figure with no fat on her body. 

Invulnerable, no.  I mean if she ever gets to Colossus level I would still imagine she is not nearly as unstoppable a force as him.  Largely I’d see her peak being the arms and legs becoming metallic and able to take function like armor.  Maybe shifting the metal to her torso if she is trying to curl around someone to protect.  The upper end of her peak though would be more like a pool stick would break against her body and getting struck by her would be like getting hit by a heavy weight boxer.  If we went straight for strength over speed that could increase I suppose, but at this time I’m not imagining her as like lifting cars.

As for the weakness I could certainly see electricity and magnetic fields being a problem.  Originally I had the electricity thing in my head but switched to the seizures.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:53:15 AM by Pumpkin Seeds »

« Reply #214 on: May 13, 2016, 11:12:37 AM »
I envision that her family has been there since she was a baby.  Probably she lives in what would be like a Chinatown area or something if there is such a thing.  From that she has likely been through elementary school and was at this high school since her Freshmen year. 

Good to know, ta! :D

As for her personality she is actually quite nice and warm, but she has no time for anyone or anything beyond school work and sports.  Considering she has probably known most of these kids since childhood and probably spent no time with any of them I imagine she would gain a reputation as being “too good” for them.  So while she does smile politely and warmly, she doesn’t stop to talk to anyone or really participate in any activities outside of sports and immediate academics.  She is always rushing to class, to another game or straight home.

Hmmm.....ok. Just bear in mind that characters that have no social circle and no friends to speak of are going to be extremely difficult to play in a character driven game, so may I suggest perhaps toning that aspect down just a little to accommodate the nature of the game? You can try it as is, of course, I'm just thinking about your overall enjoyment as we progress :-)

The end goal of her metallic body would be something similar to Colossus.  This has become an odd marriage in my mind considering her style of fighting is very fluid and obviously Colossus is a bit of a lumbering tank.  Still I like the idea of her arms and legs transforming into metal as she fights, flickering back and forth so that she delivers these devastating strikes while at the same time her body remains fluid from her training.  I guess as she becomes heavier and more strength based her style might shift to more MMA as that would be off in the distance.

[...]

Invulnerable, no.  I mean if she ever gets to Colossus level I would still imagine she is not nearly as unstoppable a force as him.  Largely I’d see her peak being the arms and legs becoming metallic and able to take function like armor.  Maybe shifting the metal to her torso if she is trying to curl around someone to protect.

Ok, so she has a finite amount of metal on her body, and she can - with practice - increase and decrease the density of specific areas? Like, her "standard" is enough metal to make her peak-levels of human durability, but she can shift metal to her arms to hit harder, or to her chest to make that area more resilient against damage? And how quickly does damage like cracks or dents to her metal form repair itself? Does she have to do anything specific, eat anything specific, or does it just naturally regenerate like normal flesh?

I am fine making her more about durability and strength.  Be interesting I suppose that suddenly scales start registering her as 300 to 400lbs and she is this figure with no fat on her body.

That would certainly freak her out at first, I would imagine!

The upper end of her peak though would be more like a pool stick would break against her body and getting struck by her would be like getting hit by a heavy weight boxer.  If we went straight for strength over speed that could increase I suppose, but at this time I’m not imagining her as like lifting cars.

Not even small ones, like Smart Cars? There are some normal humans that can lift those tiny things :P
In all seriousness, though, that sounds reasonable. She's at just above human peak-strength and she has enough durability to take most hits and keep coming, but it's the difference between a pool cue and a weighted baseball bat that makes the difference against her. And if you decide to go for more strength over speed, we can increase that a little more. :-)

As for the weakness I could certainly see electricity and magnetic fields being a problem.  Originally I had the electricity thing in my head but switched to the seizures.

Well, you can have either, but I think seizures might be a touch difficult to play. If you're up for it, go ahead, but I personally would err towards electricity weakness if I were playing the character...but that's just me :-)

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #215 on: May 13, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
Well to say she has never done anything is a tad unrealistic.  After all she is on several sports teams which does show some level of involvement.  Mostly I wanted her to come across as an overachieving student that is constantly everywhere, but never seems to have much time.  Certainly I am open to other characters having done something with her.  Maybe one night she did disobey her parents and sneak out to a party where she got drunk or maybe she was hanging out at the theatre one evening and got invited to participate. There are also the martial arts competitions if anyone has gone to one would definitely know of her.  I could see that in some sense she is locally known for that part of her training. She is certainly not a wallflower, just lacking opportunity for anything long term.

I can adjust the weakness to electricity and magnetic fields.  The seizure thing I saw more as a GM hook where if you wanted to shift the tide of battle, just throw her down and the scene now shifts. 

The finite metal is exactly right.  I keep saying Colossus but in truth I would imagine something similar to the Winter Soldier’s metal arm, just not permanent like his and able to shift around.  As for repairs, I hadn’t considered that aspect.  I imagine if the metal were damaged she would hurt quite a bit as the metal is really an extension of herself as living metal.  More than likely she would be laid up for a bit and the cracks may actually appear on her skin as she absorbs that metal back into herself.  Probably a lot of food consumption with heavy red meat to repair I’d think.    Tiny woman tearing into a stack of 16oz steaks cooked raw might be a humorous image.

As for the peaks that is pretty much what I imagine.  The shock of a little Asian girl punching someone with the strength of Lennox Lewis should be quite satisfying. 

Offline Asminen

« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2016, 11:29:17 AM »
Quote from: Vergil Tanner
The first is, MWH is a touch stricter than you may originally have imagined...though it doesn't have a specific uniform or dress code, it DOES have pretty strict rules about certain things. As such, if he took his Keytar into - say - Maths Class, he would be told in no uncertain terms to either put it in the cupboard and collect it at the end, or to turn around and leave the classroom. Plus, I doubt they'd let him take it into School Assemblies, so you might have to tone down the whole "Always takes it everywhere." :P

Alright. I'll edit it to 'has it as close to him as he can get away with everywhere he goes"

On the note of his background, remember the requirement in the Seeking Post: Everybody has to have been at the school for at least a year, so joining halfway through Junior Year isn't going to work. He'd have to probably join mid or 75% through Sophomore Year for your projected backstory to work with the setting and the rules.

I assumed for some reason that this began part way through his senior year. I'll change it to the end of Sophomore year.

Considering that before The Event, none of them had anything out of the ordinary that they could do, is his Keytar the magical one or is HE the one with the abilities, but he requires the instrument to focus and concentrate his abilities?

He's convinced that AE-DE is at least partially the magic one. In reality, she's quite normal as keytars go. He can pick up any other instrument (or sing) and adequately use his powers. That emotional connection he has to AE-DE, however, gives him a power boost.

Further, what kind of strength of emotions do his powers instigate? Are they low level things, or overwhelming things? Do they create new emotions, or just accentuate ones that people already have? What is the limit to how powerful these emotions he inspires be? Can he turn mild annoyance into righteous fury, or is that too much of a change for him to manage? How much prep does he need in order to influence peoples emotions?
And I do need to caution you that any influence over other characters emotions have to be cleared with that player and me before you do it; if I start to think you're dictating what emotions their characters are having without consulting them, you and I will have words. ;)  Similarly, any influence over plot-related NPC's needs to be cleared with me first.

His music can create new emotions, but it doesn't do anything to suppress anything people might naturally be feeling. The strength of the emotion depends on how well he plays, how loud he can make it, and the quality of his equipment. At the beginning with AE-DE's small speakers and his little portable amp, Kevin will probably only be 15 – 25 percent effective. If people are already feeling similar emotions, he's even more effective. People who know what are going on can choose to let his music affect them more, or they can choose to try to ignore it. With a strong enough will (or strong enough earplugs) people can ignore it entirely.

As for prep time, once he starts playing the song, the emotion will gradually build until he's 30 seconds to a minute through the song, and he can keep the effect going if he plays another similar song right off the back of the first.

What I was going to do was leave a note at the top of my posts of what emotion he's trying to incite, the strength of it percent-wise, and the title/link of the song he was playing. Then I was going to let the other players determine how well that would affect their characters. It's not like he's going to constantly be using his ability. Its effectiveness depends on how many different songs he can play, and their effectiveness wanes the more people hear and get used to them. So it's in his best interest not to constantly try to determine the mood of everyone around him.

HOWEVER, I would take out the "Enhances another persons abilities;" I don't see how that links into the rest of his ability at all, since there doesn't seem to be any real connection to the rest of his progression. If that persons power is fuelled by their emotions then fair enough, but otherwise, I think that's going a touch too far.

Can do

I would also suggest keeping the "An aggressive song inspires anger rather than calmness" as a Hard Limit and take out the "Creativity" aspect of things towards the end.

I wasn't going to have him get that creative. It's more along the lines of making an aggressive song sound scary, and incite fear rather than anger. The 'creativeness' can only go so far, and he has to change the song in some way in order for it to work. I will point out that it's quite possible to make happy songs sound sad/scary, and upbeat/bubbly songs sound calming (see Chase Holfelder's Major to Minor series)

Writing Prompt definitely coming soon. Probably within the next two hours or so. If not, then after work tonight.

Offline Birchleaf

« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2016, 11:33:44 AM »
@Pumpkin Seeds. Would a mechanically-focused gadgeteer type be useful in repairing damage to her metallic portions? Because I know someone who could be helpful like that...

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »
I am sure that there would be interest in the type of metal coating her body.  As for healing the metal itself, well maybe.  Be at least a task to try.  That would be something for parents to walk in on with her stretched out in the garage and someone holding a welding torch over her saying, "Now tell me if this hurts."

Offline MissFire

« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2016, 11:47:20 AM »
Fran would totally hang with Nuo. She loves techno and would think that her fighting is badass as hell. So if you want at least one person to connect with, there's that.

« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2016, 12:05:30 PM »
Pumpkin:

Well to say she has never done anything is a tad unrealistic [...] She is certainly not a wallflower, just lacking opportunity for anything long term.

No worries! Just wanted some clarification there :-)

I can adjust the weakness to electricity and magnetic fields.  The seizure thing I saw more as a GM hook where if you wanted to shift the tide of battle, just throw her down and the scene now shifts.

If you want to keep the seizures, that's cool. I have no issue with it as a weakness, though perhaps do a mix? Like, she sometimes has seizures and is vulnerable to electricity? Up to you!

The finite metal is exactly right.  I keep saying Colossus but in truth I would imagine something similar to the Winter Soldier’s metal arm, just not permanent like his and able to shift around.  As for repairs, I hadn’t considered that aspect.  I imagine if the metal were damaged she would hurt quite a bit as the metal is really an extension of herself as living metal.  More than likely she would be laid up for a bit and the cracks may actually appear on her skin as she absorbs that metal back into herself.  Probably a lot of food consumption with heavy red meat to repair I’d think.    Tiny woman tearing into a stack of 16oz steaks cooked raw might be a humorous image.

As for the peaks that is pretty much what I imagine.  The shock of a little Asian girl punching someone with the strength of Lennox Lewis should be quite satisfying. 

Okey dokey, so peak-strength-to-just-above-peak is her current Max Cap, with the durability to maybe shrug off a minor car accident with a few bruises but nothing more intense than that? And maybe blunt force more "dents" her than actually "breaks" anything, haha.

Asminen:

I assumed for some reason that this began part way through his senior year. I'll change it to the end of Sophomore year.

Yeah, this starts pretty much at the start of Senior Year, only a few weeks after they've come back from their holidays.

He's convinced that AE-DE is at least partially the magic one. In reality, she's quite normal as keytars go. He can pick up any other instrument (or sing) and adequately use his powers. That emotional connection he has to AE-DE, however, gives him a power boost.

That makes sense.

His music can create new emotions, but it doesn't do anything to suppress anything people might naturally be feeling. The strength of the emotion depends on how well he plays, how loud he can make it, and the quality of his equipment. At the beginning with AE-DE's small speakers and his little portable amp, Kevin will probably only be 15 – 25 percent effective. If people are already feeling similar emotions, he's even more effective. People who know what are going on can choose to let his music affect them more, or they can choose to try to ignore it. With a strong enough will (or strong enough earplugs) people can ignore it entirely.

Eeeeh....I'm a little dubious on creating new emotions from scratch, since that does reek a little bit of mind control (after a fashion). I think I would be more comfortable if it had a chance of creating the new emotion, but was primarily responsible for exaggerating new emotions. Don't get me wrong, the song itself might inspire a bit of sadness, for example, and his power increases the potency of that power but...well, you're not about to inspire remorse in a psychopath, y'know?

What I was going to do was leave a note at the top of my posts of what emotion he's trying to incite, the strength of it percent-wise, and the title/link of the song he was playing. Then I was going to let the other players determine how well that would affect their characters. It's not like he's going to constantly be using his ability. Its effectiveness depends on how many different songs he can play, and their effectiveness wanes the more people hear and get used to them. So it's in his best interest not to constantly try to determine the mood of everyone around him.

I'd still want you to make sure everybody involved with the scene was OK with it beforehand, and to clear it with me. Sometimes people can post something saying "Oh, it's TOTALLY up to you!" and people might then feel pressured into it because they don't want to be the special snowflake that the power doesn't affect for whatever reason.

So....yeah, when it comes to PC interaction with his power, I'll need you to pre-clear it with me and the players involved, please.

I wasn't going to have him get that creative. It's more along the lines of making an aggressive song sound scary, and incite fear rather than anger. The 'creativeness' can only go so far, and he has to change the song in some way in order for it to work. I will point out that it's quite possible to make happy songs sound sad/scary, and upbeat/bubbly songs sound calming (see Chase Holfelder's Major to Minor series)

I didn't say it wasn't, just that it was rare and difficult to do so it shouldn't be happening every single time. Otherwise, that sounds good.

Offline Asminen

« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »
Eeeeh....I'm a little dubious on creating new emotions from scratch, since that does reek a little bit of mind control (after a fashion). I think I would be more comfortable if it had a chance of creating the new emotion, but was primarily responsible for exaggerating new emotions. Don't get me wrong, the song itself might inspire a bit of sadness, for example, and his power increases the potency of that power but...well, you're not about to inspire remorse in a psychopath, y'know?

Okay, I can explain it a little better, then. The song he plays acts like a sort of lighter to 'spark' the emotion he wants to incite, and his abilities 'fan the flames' until he gets the emotion strength desired or runs out of power he can put into the performance. (So a psychopath wouldn't be affected, since they wouldn't experience that 'spark.') The only way he can really control his power is by choosing the right song. That was how I was seeing his whole schtick producing a new emotion - it uses a combination of magical and mundane means.

Following that train of thought, a character can experience a different emotion than Kevin intended if the song is associated in their heads with a time of their life that held a different emotion than the song would normally give. Example: Bohemian Rhapsody is a sad/regretful/fearful song, but many people might experience feelings of camaraderie when they hear it. Its a pretty universally liked song and most everyone can sing along with it, and singing the same song at the same time with a bunch of other people promotes group bonding. If that makes sense.

I'd still want you to make sure everybody involved with the scene was OK with it beforehand, and to clear it with me. Sometimes people can post something saying "Oh, it's TOTALLY up to you!" and people might then feel pressured into it because they don't want to be the special snowflake that the power doesn't affect for whatever reason. 

So....yeah, when it comes to PC interaction with his power, I'll need you to pre-clear it with me and the players involved, please.

I see what you're saying, but I wonder if this much effort is being put into the events where people physically attack each other. When someone swings a punch in a rp, they explain how, and at what strength they're doing it. It's then up to the other player to factor in their own character's strength, skill, speed, environment, etc. and determine if/how their character is hit. A good player will know when it's appropriate to have their character dodge, and when they should get hit. They wouldn't worry about coming across as a 'special snowflake' if their character's ability really makes them difficult to hit. When the two players disagree with what happens, then they discuss with each other why they think what happened should remain the same or be altered in some way. I see Kevin's ability being like that, except on an emotional level instead of physical.

The problem I see with asking permission every time, is if Kevin get the idea in his head to use his power, he's going to do it unless someone in the game physically stops him. He doesn't know that there are writers behind people who may not be okay with it. I am still willing to go through that process, but I do think it will drag things on and delay posts a little more than necessary, and could possibly force me to compromise his character and personality.

It should be said that Kevin can't and never will be able to mind control people, he can just make it more likely for them to feel an emotion, and it's up to the other person to determine how they handle the emotion.

I didn't say it wasn't, just that it was rare and difficult to do so it shouldn't be happening every single time. Otherwise, that sounds good.

It is definitely an end-game ability once he gets to be a better musician. At the beginning of the game, He's decently good, but not that good.

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2016, 01:10:57 PM »
Could say that Fran was the one that got Nuo to sneak out of her house one night for a rave or a concert.  Might have them text a bunch and maybe Fran keeps her up to date on the latest music and Nuo sends her kung fu videos or maybe invites her "secretly" out to martial arts competitions if she wants to watch. 

Just don't make fun of the silk pajamas :: glares::

Offline MissFire

« Reply #223 on: May 13, 2016, 01:18:09 PM »
Just don't make fun of the silk pajamas :: glares::

...No promises.

« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »
Okay, I can explain it a little better, then. The song he plays acts like a sort of lighter to 'spark' the emotion he wants to incite, and his abilities 'fan the flames' until he gets the emotion strength desired or runs out of power he can put into the performance. (So a psychopath wouldn't be affected, since they wouldn't experience that 'spark.') The only way he can really control his power is by choosing the right song. That was how I was seeing his whole schtick producing a new emotion - it uses a combination of magical and mundane means.

Following that train of thought, a character can experience a different emotion than Kevin intended if the song is associated in their heads with a time of their life that held a different emotion than the song would normally give. Example: Bohemian Rhapsody is a sad/regretful/fearful song, but many people might experience feelings of camaraderie when they hear it. Its a pretty universally liked song and most everyone can sing along with it, and singing the same song at the same time with a bunch of other people promotes group bonding. If that makes sense.

Ok, fair enough, that makes sense.

I see what you're saying, but I wonder if this much effort is being put into the events where people physically attack each other. When someone swings a punch in a rp, they explain how, and at what strength they're doing it. It's then up to the other player to factor in their own character's strength, skill, speed, environment, etc. and determine if/how their character is hit. A good player will know when it's appropriate to have their character dodge, and when they should get hit. They wouldn't worry about coming across as a 'special snowflake' if their character's ability really makes them difficult to hit. When the two players disagree with what happens, then they discuss with each other why they think what happened should remain the same or be altered in some way. I see Kevin's ability being like that, except on an emotional level instead of physical.

The problem I see with asking permission every time, is if Kevin get the idea in his head to use his power, he's going to do it unless someone in the game physically stops him. He doesn't know that there are writers behind people who may not be okay with it. I am still willing to go through that process, but I do think it will drag things on and delay posts a little more than necessary, and could possibly force me to compromise his character and personality.

The difference is in the nature of the power. Super Strength? They can say that they swung the fist and the other person can decide whether it hits or not. And if it does hit, it only affects the character physically, hurting, stunning or damaging them in some way. Mental based powers are different because it isn't affecting the person physically, it's tampering with how they think, feel, view the world and how they react to certain stimuli. I have always been a bit cautious with Mental Based Powers because of their GMing potential; telling somebody "I punched you and you were knocked over" is annoying, but saying to somebody "I manipulated your characters brain and now they're super angry and irrational" does more than just influence how they physically react, it changes how their character perceives the world and interacts with others in ways that the writer doesn't want, like or feel comfortable with. And since the name of the game is having fun, if you have an idea that the other players don't want to happen to their characters, we find a way to try and make everybody happy...but if we can't, we don't do the idea because it's about everybody having fun, and if one writer wants something to happen and seven don't, if you can't find a compromise...you go with the majority.

Quite frankly, I can see your side of it, but any mental powers - Telepathy, Compulsion / Suggestion, Emotional Manipulation, Empathic Reasoning, Post or Precognition, anything like that - need to be cleared with the GM and the players involved first to avoid stepping on peoples toes and possibly fostering ill will behind the scenes. If you can accept that, then I have no real issues with the power. If you, however, aren't willing to do that, you'd best choose a different power because GM oversight on Mental-based Abilities is nonnegotiable.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:28:22 PM by Vergil Tanner »