You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 04:14:40 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP, ALL CHARACTERS WELCOME!  (Read 18524 times)

Online Vergil TannerTopic starter

I don't think I'll give him a specific limit on how much he can alter the density. He won't be able to set anything to infinite or zero mass, since the implications of that would be daunting, but he can alter it enough so that something either becomes completely immobile or that it is less dense than air. Any sort of change past that point wouldn't really matter.

I would still prefer if we had some limits as to how much he can increase or decrease a given objects mass, since everybody else has those kinds of limits. Like, he can only increase a certain objects density / weight to something like 1000% of its starting weight, or something like that.

Larger objects do not take more time; the time is directly correlated with how much the object originally weighed compared to how much it weighs after he uses his power. However, there is a limit on the size of the objects he can alter, which I think I mentioned in how he cannot change the density of anything more than two feet from point of contact.

That seems fair.

However, because he will be, at least at first, unconsciously altering something as well, losing contact with what he's not focused on will merely transfer that to another. For example, if he's making a box of notebooks lighter as he climbs the stairs to deliver them, each stair will take on an individual density increase.

I'm not entirely certain I understand what you're trying to say here. Would you mind elaborating, please?

I think I'll also make it so that he has to touch what he consciously lowers the density of with his hands. The unconscious transfer effect, however, is anything in contact with his body at the time, and can also be "transferred" through other material. For example, it's not his shoes that grow heavier when he makes things lighter, but the ground.

I think I'd prefer it if his abilities were just centred in his hands, so his "involuntary" use of his abilities would just be through what was being touched with his hands.

I'm also thinking about raising the time limit; not sure how fast one minute really is when all is said and done.

If anything, I think I would prefer it if - at the start - the time limit is less, like a few seconds after losing contact, and he increases that as he gets more experience with his abilities.

Serperior:

No problem! Let me know when the edited power category and the Writing prompt is done, and I'll take a look and see if I see anything else. :-)

Offline Torterrable

All right. 10x starting weight seems reasonable, I guess; at a certain point, the actual numbers don't matter to me so much as how the change feels. So he has a 10x max increase and a corresponding .1x max decrease.

What you were confused about is tied into the not-hands thing. One of his limitations is that he can't actually remove mass, only transfer it. He consciously changes the mass of one thing but the other thing is something else in contact with him, unconsciously chosen. Usually it means it goes through his feet into the ground, but sometimes it can be through his body too the wall, or to his clothing if nothing else is close enough. That's what prevents him from indefinitely staying up in the air for as long as he can continuously trigger his power.

I can try the idea that he has to use his hands to touch both things involved but the problem with that is he'd start to understand pretty fast. One hand wouldn't change anything, both hands on the same thing wouldn't change anything, but two hands on different things could cause a change. I can work it in as a limitation but I think it'd be one he would understand. The stairs analogy is the idea that, because it's an unconscious change of something in contact with his body, to continuously lighten something he's holding while he's moving and ungrounded, each individual step his foot comes in contact with suffers the density increase, rather than one and done.

I can see it if you want the limit to be ten seconds after losing contact. Ten seconds is still enough time to make a helluva jump or throw, I guess. The main issue I think is because the return to original is gradual, the actual usable effect of the power would be shortened to around seven seconds.

Offline Tokyorose627

Finally finished editing my profile and got accepted! Awesome!

So yeah, if anyone wants any connections with Ai, just ask!!! I'm more then willing ((and desperate...)) for some connections with others! ;A;

All right. 10x starting weight seems reasonable, I guess; at a certain point, the actual numbers don't matter to me so much as how the change feels. So he has a 10x max increase and a corresponding .1x max decrease.

No problem! If you want, those limits can increase in range as he gets more experience with his powers :-)

What you were confused about is tied into the not-hands thing. One of his limitations is that he can't actually remove mass, only transfer it. He consciously changes the mass of one thing but the other thing is something else in contact with him, unconsciously chosen. Usually it means it goes through his feet into the ground, but sometimes it can be through his body too the wall, or to his clothing if nothing else is close enough. That's what prevents him from indefinitely staying up in the air for as long as he can continuously trigger his power.

I can try the idea that he has to use his hands to touch both things involved but the problem with that is he'd start to understand pretty fast. One hand wouldn't change anything, both hands on the same thing wouldn't change anything, but two hands on different things could cause a change. I can work it in as a limitation but I think it'd be one he would understand. The stairs analogy is the idea that, because it's an unconscious change of something in contact with his body, to continuously lighten something he's holding while he's moving and ungrounded, each individual step his foot comes in contact with suffers the density increase, rather than one and done.

Ok, well...how about his powers are more efficient if he uses both his hands? So he CAN direct it through his feet if he wants, but he gets more range out of using his hands?

I can see it if you want the limit to be ten seconds after losing contact. Ten seconds is still enough time to make a helluva jump or throw, I guess. The main issue I think is because the return to original is gradual, the actual usable effect of the power would be shortened to around seven seconds.

Well, ten seconds would be a starting point; that would increase as the game progresses. :-)

Offline MissFire

Any chance of getting an OOC up so we can talk character connections and such openly without cluttering your recruitment topic?

Offline Tokyorose627

Any chance of getting an OOC up so we can talk character connections and such openly without cluttering your recruitment topic?

That's a good idea actually. D:

Offline Torterrable

All right. I'll edit those in once I am free.

I can do the efficiency thing, but the idea about his feet doing it is that he has no idea it's going on. Like, he doesn't realize he's transferring density, not simply removing or adding it. He knows his limits but that's the one thing that escapes him.

He can control what he changes through his hands, but something else in contact with him has to change as well. If he's wearing a pair of glasses and floating in air while touching something, then the glasses will change. If he's wearing glasses and a pair of underwear, it's a toss up; either one could change, but he has no power over which one does. For the start of the roleplay, I wanted to have him not realizing this secondary effect because most of the time, it goes straight into the earth, or it doesn't matter.

It could matter in the future, if he accidentally makes a desk or the upper floor of a building too heavy.

Well, I think you'd probably be best off discussing character stuff via PM's (so you can keep certain stuff secret), but if you want to do it in the forums, then here you go:

Character Discussion Thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=248572.0
This is where you can chat about game-related stuff like character connections and stuff like that.

Chatterbox:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=248573.0
And here's the thread for everything else, from silly chats to silly postulation to just chatting amongst ourselves. :-)

Torterrable:

Well, my thinking is that eventually he would realise it and get more effective that way. He's not gonna spend the rest of the RP completely oblivious, is he?

Offline Torterrable

No, he's not going to be oblivious, but he's still not going to have control over where it goes. It's a limitation, and one that can make his power more interesting.

Unless you'd prefer he eventually finds out and is able to channel it through both his hands? I was thinking he'd just be able to control the hand part and, if he's not grounded, pray that the other things doesn't cause too many issues.

Well, I think the apex of his powers should be being able to control it enough to direct where it goes, y'know? But that would an endgame, "Mastering his powers" level, akin to Cyclops being able to take off his glasses, y'know?

Offline Torterrable

Well, I think the apex of his powers should be being able to control it enough to direct where it goes, y'know? But that would an endgame, "Mastering his powers" level, akin to Cyclops being able to take off his glasses, y'know?

Hm. I can roll with that, but I just always thought the apex of his powers would be lengthening the time and intensity of the change. The other random aspect would just have to be controlled and adapted to, but in my mind, it would always be a general limitation.

Nah, I'm cool with him learning fine control as an Apex Ability :-)

Offline Torterrable

Hm all right. I did actually liked the randomized aspect, but control works as well. It's the interplay of exchange that really gets to me.

I'll edit stuff in soon and post here when I am done.

Well, my thinking is that he would eventually work it out; you can't keep yourself at a randomised level FOREVER, or it starts straining the willing suspension of disbelief, y'know?

Offline Torterrable

It does? I'm not sure how. The randomization is just a function of the power, right? Like, it's because he can't focus on two different parts at once, so his body just chooses something convenient.

If you wanna go with the full randomisation, go ahead! I just thought it suited the gradual evolution of their powers more if he could eventually control it. But hey, it's your character. That part is up to you. :P Just edit it accordingly and let me know so I can give it a final go over when it's done :-)

Offline Torterrable

Too late. I've already changed it and limited the power entirely to his hands. It'll still work but I think he'll just know how it works completely when he gets it and then spend time developing how to use it (it's kind of an abstract, unusual power so it's full potential is really in how creatively he works with it) and focus on him just increasing it's scope and strength.

Much simpler that way.

If that's what you want! I was just offering an alternative, but if you wanna go with that, that's cool too. Besides that, I'm not sure there was really anything else, so....approved, pending final review tomorrow after I've had some sleep, haha.

Offline Torterrable

I changed it back to random with some control. I just like the idea of randomness based on "path of least resistance" too much, I guess. Hope it works.

Welp, I'll take a final look at it tomorrow morning, after I've had some proper sleep, and give you my final approval (or not, as the case may be :P ) then! :D

I assume the phases are just his phases of evolution, so he'll progress through those phases as he practices with his power more?

Anywho, that addresses the issues I had, so get the Prompt done, then I can approve you! :D

Offline Carlissa

I'm a bit late, but I finally completed a brand new profile! It might be rough around the edges right now, but I plan on revisiting it in a few days with a writing prompt to boot. I'm planning on adding more fine details to it, like how successful her movies were and more information regarding her dress and overall appearance.

Feel free to critique and point out anything wrong while I'm gone however!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
NAME: Caroline Crocket

SEX: Female

APPEARANCE: Caroline isn’t one to unnecessarily draw attention to herself, but it’s hard not to notice her thanks to her height. She stands at a whopping 6’3, making her the tallest girl in the school. Her legs aren’t the only things long about her however; her red hair’s length is impressive as well, reaching down an inch below her waist.

ORIENTATION: Heterosexual

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single

TYPE: “The Tall One”

POWER THEME: Super Strength: It might be a cliché of a superpower, but it’s a classic that never goes out of style: Caroline has increased physical attributes that grant her superhuman strength. At the time of acquiring her powers, Caroline’s physical abilities are equivalent to the apex of a human male’s; she can lift objects weighting over 800 pounds, run at 30 mph in short bursts, and can get back up from falling 20 feet to the ground or getting hit by a small car (but would still be wobbly on her feet).

Over time, Caroline’s physical strength will grow to the point of being superhuman: she will be able to lift weights up to 15 tons, run at speeds as fast as 60 mph, and can get up from blows that would be debilitating for a normal human.

CHARACTER FLAWs:
Power
Energy Consumption: The energy required to maintain her peak physical conditioning is greater than that of a normal human’s, as obvious as that sounds. In order to use her superior strength and speed, Caroline’s body must use more energy to maintain performance. Predictably, this means that she gets tired a lot faster when lifting something more than three times her body weight, or running at speeds faster than 20 mph. Fighting for prolonged periods of time against a foe of equal strength would no doubt eventually lead to defeat, as her stamina depletes even faster when she takes damage.
Muscle Destruction: Pulling off crazy feats of strength can come at a great cost. If Caroline attempts to utilize her strength to its limits for extended periods of time, her muscles will eventually start to tear and break down, resulting in major injuries. For example, if Caroline attempts to run at 35 mph for 60 seconds, she risks of injuring her legs will increase every second. By the time the 60 second mark is reached, some of her muscles would give way, and Caroline would come tumbling to a halt.

When her muscles break down, it could take her weeks to recover. If she attempts to use her strength while her muscles are healing, she risks losing the use of her strength forever due to her muscles being damaged beyond repair. Because of this downside, Caroline often has to pull her punches in combat to reserve her strength to when it’s really needed.
Personality
Judgmental: Caroline likes to pick her friends carefully, as she doesn’t want to associate with anyone that could drag her into trouble. She has a habit of judging people by how they look or how they act when she first meets them, and develops an impression that is not easily changed. Caroline avoids those that are rebellious in nature, dress themselves strangely, or do things that could land them in trouble, like recreational drugs or skipping class.
Yielding: When it comes to super powers, Caroline believes that she got the short end of the stick. She doesn’t have much confidence in her strength, often underestimating her own abilities when confronted by another super powered being. This can lead her to avoiding battles that she might have ended up winning, which could lead to more problems in the future. On top of this, Caroline lacks the confidence to charge at an enemy head on, and relies heavily on her companions to back her up. If she finds herself alone, she might avoid fighting altogether, unless she deems it absolutely necessary.
Other
Tall: Being tall isn’t all sunshine ad rainbows, despite what some short people would have you believe. For example, in the heat of combat, you would be a large target for an enemy looking for a head to shoot. Hiding is also more difficult, as you can’t fit into tiny spaces or hide behind small objects.

BIOGRAPHY: Though it’s not uncommon for the boneheaded shenanigans of a forgotten movie star to make headlines, the fact that many child actors’ lives fall apart as they grow out of their innocent personas is not news. For many children, having their childhoods magnified and recorded under studio lights and artificial backdrops puts a heavy burden upon their fragile shoulders; one which they attempt to rid themselves through drastic action well into their adult life. But no amount of psychoactive drugs or rebellious impulses can relieve them of this weight, nor send them back in time before their careers took off to have a normal childhood.

Not all child actors lead lives of tragedy however; Caroline is one of the fortunate ones to go on to lead a normal life. She may not have many regrets regarding her time in front of the camera, but she is familiar with the plights of her less fortunate peers, some of which she personally knew and cared for before their lives took a turn for the worse.

But even before her career, Caroline was familiar with those who made their livings in front of the camera. She was born in Huston, Texas, to a family with history in the TV business. Her father, Marcus Crocket, was an on-scene reporter for a major news company. Her grandmother, Daphne Mars, was a writer for the 1962 TV show W.A.A.C., a comedy/drama that ran for over 5 years. Though her family never pushed her into the direction of acting (her mother actually wasn’t fond of the idea), Caroline no doubt developed an interest in acting when she was 5 years old, after she was part of a small play in kindergarten.

After a year of acting classes, Caroline landed a spot in two commercials with the help of her grandmother’s influence. While these roles were not particularly big by any extension of the standard, she attracted enough attention to be invited to California for an audition for a leading role in the sitcom Running with Scissors. Ecstatic that her career was taking off, Caroline and her mother traveled to California, where the audition was being held.

Unfortunately, Caroline didn’t get the part on the grounds that she was “too tall” and looked older than the character. This disappointment was a blessing in disguise however, as the producer of the show encouraged her to try out another audition, for a role where her above average height would be her ticket in. The movie, titled Backyard Baseball, was a coming-of-age comedy that revolved around a large group of kids who, as the title implies, played baseball. Caroline was found to be the perfect match for the roll of “Billy Jean Blackwood,” who was a tall southern girl that dreamed of being a fashion model.

While by no means a cinematic masterpiece, Backyard Baseball was a hit with kids and families alike thanks to its fun storyline and colorful characters. It did decently well at the box office and was well-received by critics. Thanks to its success, two sequels were made over the next four years: Backyard Football and Backyard Basketball. While these movies failed to reach the success of their predecessor, both financially and critically, they were none the less fun movies that succeeded in maintaining its coming-of-age theme.

Caroline made good friends with the other child actors in the movie. Though the opportunity at a normal childhood was made impossible thanks to her life as an actress, she found comfort in those in a similar situation. In a way, they lived their childhood through their characters; playing baseball, going swimming, shooting the shit in the dugout or on the bleachers of a sandy baseball field… Granted, it was all scripted, but it still felt real, in a strange way.

But even when those scripted moments are discarded, Caroline and the gang still had a lot of fun together. When not working on the set or with their parents, the kids were getting into all kinds of trouble. For example, they broke the windshield of the director’s 1958 Ford Thunderbird while playing a real game of baseball in between shots. Some of them (including Caroline) also managed to sneak into an R-rated movie at the local movie theatre near where a scene was being shot. It was all in good fun, of course; none of them intended to do anything truly harmful or rebellious…

As stated before, the life of a child actor isn’t an easy path to follow. If it wasn’t for her friends, and the watchful eye of her mother, Caroline would have certainly fallen prey to the darker side of child stardom. By the time Backyard Basketball was finished shooting, Caroline had already had her fill of the acting scene. It was very stressful and taxing work, and had negative effects on her physically and mentally. She had sunken into a depression, and developed a fear of the paparazzi, who had been making more frequent appearances around the studio thanks to one of the main actor’s rising popularity. She had also lost weight during the course of the few weeks of shooting, and had passed out on a few occasions from exhaustion when shooting intense scenes. Realizing that Caroline had her fill of acting, her mother moved her back to Texas. With the Backyard movies finished, Caroline officially retired from acting, and started a normal life with her family.

Despite ceasing her career as an actor, Caroline kept in touch with her former actor friends. Though as time passed, some of them began to chance as they continued their acting careers. Some of them got into drugs, while others developed behavior issues that landed them in trouble with the law, as well as in the pages of magazines focused around celebrity lifestyles. Watching her former friends fall into madness from the lens of the judgmental media left a lasting impression on Caroline. With the desire to avoid a tragic downfall and being hunted by the paparazzi, she has driven herself to be as normal as possible.

When she was 14, her family moved to New York, where they have remained to this day. Currently, Caroline attends the prestigious Malcolm High School, and has managed to live a normal life away from the cameras of directors and reporters alike.

Miscellaneous:
-During the filming of Backyard Baseball, Caroline and the other actors were exposed to a great deal of 50’s rock ‘n roll in order to get them in the mindset of their characters. The music had a lasting impression on Caroline, and she still listens to the genre to this day. She has a small collection of vintage records at her house, with all her favorite songs and albums.
-50’s rock n’ roll isn’t the only interest Caroline has developed during her time as an actress. She had a lot of fun playing the sports on which the Backyard movies were based, and enjoys revisiting them from time to time. Today, she is an avid basketball player, and plays it often both as a hobby and exercise. Though she’s a good team player, she can get rather aggressive on the court, both mentally and physically.
-Caroline can dunk, even without using her superpowers.
-Despite being a former actress, Caroline doesn’t participate in Malcolm High’s drama programs. She is more than happy to give advice to those participating however, even though she refuses to officially participate.
-Caroline has a strong attraction to her Backyard Baseball alter-ego, Billy Jean Blackwood. She loved the role, and would even consider temporarily returning to the silver screen if she could play the character again.
-Though some of her Backyard co-stars fell down dark paths because of their stressful lifestyles, the majority of them fell out of the public eye, or led acting careers that were very low key. Two in particular however have become well-known names in Hollywood, and have obtained celebrity status without tarnishing their good name. One such star is Ron Styles, who played the character Tony Delvecchio in the Backyard movies. Along with his great looks, Styles has led a very successful movie career and has worked with other big named actors.

Theme Song
This will probably change in the future when I find a better one.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:55:05 PM by Carlissa »

Ok, well, let me know when it's all finished and whatnot, but for the moment, let's focus on that power; you already have the limits and evolution, so that's cool...I would just take out the Super Speed. She can run faster than a normal human, that's cool, but not up to 60mph. Super strength AND Super Speed is getting a touch too much. Maybe cap it at Olympic Level, which would be 30mph at her peak?

Offline Torterrable

Final verdict?

I reserve the right to request amendments at a later date, but for the moment, it looks all good! :D