You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 08:18:33 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: How Important is Dice-Bot?  (Read 276 times)

Offline NastaraTopic starter

How Important is Dice-Bot?
« on: March 31, 2016, 06:28:08 PM »
Hello GMs!

I'm in the process of gathering interest for a Dungeon World game and I was wondering how much people actually use the dice-bot.  I know that theoretically people could cheat (and certainly some people would cheat) but is there anything wrong with just having people roll dice in whatever way works easiest for them?

I know that I personally wouldn't cheat while playing a systemed game, but do other GMs have thoughts/ideas on how rampant this may be?

I'm still learning my way around the Dice-Bot, but it looks as though it really pulls you out of the window and for a simple 2d6 roll I'm a little unsure whether it's necessary.

Offline Sain

Re: How Important is Dice-Bot?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:57:49 AM »
It's handy enough if you just open it new tab every time or do you mean it pulling you out as in hopping to results after you've rolled the die? Takes a bit of clicking I suppose, but it's pretty fast to use after you get handle on it. I've personally never had troubles with people nudging die, but just to save the potential trouble that an opportunity for such could cause I would recommend die bot.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »
Alright! I take a look at it and make sure I know what the heck I'm doing with it!

Thanks for the advice, Sain! :)

Offline Sain

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:30:16 AM »
On the off chance that you were just playing with it with no tutorial, you may want to check Drake's breakdown of dicebot. I found it very helpful once upon a time.

Offline freeko

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 09:55:32 AM »
Dice-bot has one very glaring issue as far as I am concerned. You cannot roll multiple types of dice at the same time.

Lets say I wanted to roll for the attack and damage to save time in a pathfinder game as an example. I would want to roll 1d20 +6 and then 1d8+2, but with dice-bot I have to make two separate rolls which is counter intuitive to the command line structure that I guess I have become accustomed to using over time.

For what it is worth however, dice-bot does do what it is supposed to do and that is certainly a relevant thing. Being able to store dice rolls is a great thing, dont get me wrong. I would just love to have a command line so that I can roll different types of dice at the same time. Using a command line, I would input this string, 1d20+6;1d8+2 and I would get the two results I needed all in one shot as it were.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 08:17:09 PM »
Oooo!  That tutorial looks very handy!  Thank you!

Hmmm, I can see how that would be a little obnoxious, @freeko.  I'm hoping my players won't mind too much.