Pathfinder Skulls and shackles (closed for apps see new thread for second table)

Started by Tamhansen, March 11, 2016, 07:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

Blinkin

I'm not concerned about the lawful side of things, lawful in and of itself only vaguely applies as lawful evil ultimately means that laws are there to be broken if it serves your purposes.

Lawful neutral more or less means that you have a set of values that you live by, they may, or may not be in accordance with someone's laws elsewhere.

The pirate community, in the real world actually had a loose set of things that you did and didn't do in given situations. That are unwritten laws. So lawful (as long as not good) is an acceptable alignment.

Ultimately, chaos is concerned with balance between good and evil. Not in causing it or that it gives you permission to do anything because it, well chaos. In theory, a chaotic good character will do nothing evil because it's not good. Good and Evil are clearly black and white, so if you do something even hinting at evil... can't do it. Evil is slightly more flexable, but not much. Neutral... well, that's where psychopaths come from, or people who can't decide what to have for breakfast because it might upset the balance.

Or, that's the traditional meanings from the very, very old days.I like lawful neutral because it's flexible and lets you build a character who doesn't have to be bound by a set of laws, but has some code that they live by, but can act if something requires action.

True neutral... These are suppose to be the psychopaths and psychotics. In my games of the old days, true neutral was never an option unless you could give me a really good reason for it.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

mellowdude

Blinkin

I'm not going to get into an argument over alignments. We each see it as we see it, regardless of the official descriptions. I was being facicious in my previous description of true neutral, but since it was brought up, this is from the d20 site for pathfinder.

Neutral

A neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. She doesn't feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos (and thus neutral is sometimes called “true neutral”). Most neutral characters exhibit a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character probably thinks of good as better than evil—after all, she would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, she's not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way.

Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run.

Neutral means you act naturally in any situation, without prejudice or compulsion.

A bit different, but makes sense to me.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

freeko

Neutral to me meant that you always sought out to balance the equation. I played a mage who was neutral way back when THAC0 was still a thing. He would just as easily buff the party as he would the enemy with spells depending on who was "ahead" in the fight.  Essentially turning on the party if they got ahead in his mind to the point that the defeat of their enemy was the only foregone conclusion.

Law and Chaos refer to the characters desire to play within the "rules". A lawful character does not do things that would go against their rules of engagement. For example a Lawful character would want to simply detain an enemy and bring them to justice where a Chaotic character would just as easily kill them first. Both could be "Good" in their overall intention but their methods are totally different in how they defeat and deal with the threat at hand.

I should not even have to go into Good and Evil. No one screws that one up very much, but I do see alot of alignment breaks with Law or Chaos with how they perceive a threat. A Good character will not murder someone no matter if they are Lawful or Chaotic. Killing in the heat of battle I would say is an exception to being Good or Lawful because it doesnt matter what alignment you are if the character is dead.

Blinkin

As I said, I'm not getting into an argument or a discussion over alignment. Everyone sees it differently and the official definations  really don't come into play in these things. People play as they think that the alignment requires.

Having said that, a game in which a character starts aiding the enemy, for whatever reason, would shortly be a character fewer in number. Most likely me. I just don't care to play in a group where betraying your companions is considered acceptable.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

mellowdude

Even after reading what Blinkin quoted and going through the page on alignments, I'm still not completely clear on this stuff (perhaps it's too vague?), but whatever,

Quote from: Blinkin on March 12, 2016, 08:43:57 AMI just don't care to play in a group where betraying your companions is considered acceptable.
On this, we are completely in agreement and I think that's what really matters. Rest assured, whatever alignment my character ends up picking, they will never willingly betray the party or be a fishmalk. Just looking to have a good time fighting monsters.

:-)

On a different note, what kind of ESRB rating would this game get? And what board would it be hosted in?

Blinkin

I think that the alignment descriptions are meant to be somewhat vague to allow for some leeway in player interpretation. If it was too strictly defined, then those pesky penalties for breaking alignment would hit far harder. But, it's also why there's so much "discussion" on the matter. It's almost as bad as politics and religion... You're right and you're determined to make everyone see things the same way. ;) It's generally best to talk over how a particular GM sees things and settle it that way.

ESB? That's  a new one on me... or I don't remember what it stands for.

All of this brings up another question for general consumption and discussion. Spellcasters focusing on buffing or offensive/defensive spells... Anyone want to hazard which direction your spell caster will go? Buff's are nice for helping the rest of the party perform better, but I know way too many players who like to throw big offensive spells so they feel like fighters. lol

And last but not least... Harlo's character mechanics.

Harlo Glazer

Name: Harlo Glazer      Player: Blinkin
Race: Half-Elf            Sex: Male
Class: Swashbuckler-Inspired Blade   Favored Class: Swashbuckler
Level: 1            EXP: 000
Alignment: LN         Next Level: 2,000

Measurements: 8”            Weight: 185 lbs

Ability Scores:
STR:   11 (+0) Carry: L: 38, M: 76, H: 115
DEX:16    (+3)
CON:12    (+1)
INT:   10 (+0)
WIS:   12 +1)
CHA:16    (+3)

Saving Throws:         Combat:
Fort: +1         HP: 11/11
Reflex: +5         Init: +5
Will: +1         Speed: 30’

Offense:            Defense:
BAB:   +1            AC:      17
TAB:   +5         AC (Touch):    13
Range:   +4         AC (Flatfoot):   14
CMB:+1            CMD: +14

Class Skills: (5 per level)
Total   Skill (CS+Ability+Modif.+SR)

9   Acrobatics (DEX (3+3+2+1)
7      Bluff (CHR) (3+3+0+1)
4   Climb (STR) (3+0+0+1
6      Perception(WIS) (3+1+1+1)
3   Stealth (Dex) (3+3+0+0)
4   Swim (STR) (3+0+0+1)
1   Use Magical Device (WIS) (3+1+0+0)

Languages: Common, Elven

Feats:
(RF=Racial Feature, CF=Class Feature)

1st Level
RF -   Exotic Weapon Proficiency; Whip: Gain proficiency with Whips.
Fencer’s Grace: Add  Dex mod to damage instead of STR, +2 to CMD vs disarm
CF -   Deeds: Daring Do, Dodging Panache, Opportune parry & repost
CF -   Inspired Finesse: Weapon Finesse & Weapon focus; Rapiers bonus Feat
CF -   Weapon Focus; Rapier: +1 to Attacks with rapier. (From Inspired Finesse)
CF -   Inspired Panache (4): Points to perform deeds equal to CHA+INT mods

Traits/racial traits:
Ability Racial Modification: +2 to any one ability score.
Ancestral Arms: gain an Exotic Weapon Proficiency as a bonus feat. Replaces adapt
Elf Blood: Counts as both elves and humans for racial effects.
Elven Immunities: Immune to sleep, +2 vs enchantments.
Fey Blood: gain favored terrain, 3 0th level spells & 1 1st level spell as spell like ability 1x day (Water). Replaces Keen Senses.
Fey Thoughts: Gain 2 skills as class skills. Replaces Multi Talented.
Racial Senses; Low-light vision: Sees twice as far as humans in dim light.
   Favored Class: ¼ Panache point per level. (0)
Drawback
   Overprotective: -2 to attack and skill checks if 10+’ from a fallen ally.
Traits:
Crowd Dodger: +2 to acrobatics when moving into/out of or through threatened squares.
Elven Reflexes: +2 to Init.
Eye for plunder: +1 to appraise and perception to find concealed or hidden objects, including doors. Begin with 50 gp of trade goods.

Coin:         wt:
   PP:      1   .05
GP:   8   .40
SP:    0   0
CP:    0   0
Total GP:18      .45 lbs
Other Valuables:
Equipment:
Rapier: 20 GP
Dam: 1D6+3   Crit: 18-20 X2   Wt: 3
Dagger): 2 gp
Dam:1d4+3   Crit: 19-20(x2)   Wt: 1   rng: 10’
Whip: 2 gp
Dam:1d433   Crit: 20(x2)   Wt: 2   rng: 10’
Buckler: 5 GP
AC: +1   DEX --:   Skill: -0   Spell: 5%   wt: 5
MWStudded Leather: 175 gp
AC: +3   DEX +5:   Skill: -0   Spell: 15%   wt: 20
   Weapon and Armor Weight: 31 lbs

Item            Cost   Weight   Notes:
Backpack, Masterworked:   50   2 (43 lbs.=Light)
Canteen:         2   1
Clothing, Traveler’s:      0   1
Pouch, belt:         1   .5
Sash, Adventurer’s:      20   3
Wrist Sheath; Spring:      5   1 (dagger)
Total Weight:39.95 lbs. (Light)

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

Quote from: mellowdude on March 12, 2016, 10:16:43 AMOn a different note, what kind of ESRB rating would this game get? And what board would it be hosted in?

I damn well hope AO.

mellowdude

Hmm... okay, so my spells prepared on an average day would look like this I think:

Enlarge Person, Color Spray x2, Grease, Silent Image

I could maybe keep one or two more enlarge persons prepared, but I can't think of too many other buffs on the wizard list at this level (I might've missed something and I'm open to suggestions (I'll keep protection from evil in my book so I can get it the next turn if we need it, but not keeping it memorized as we'll only need it if someone gets charmed or something) ). Out of combat (I can swap out spells with a full round action using my arcane reservoir), I can use Infernal Healing (fast healing 1 for a minute giving 10 HP) if I haven't run out of slots.

About the board thing, I'll probably bow out if we're doing non con.

Tamhansen

Okay.

So far I have Blinkin starring as Errol Flynn :P ehm I mean a swashbuckler.
Mellowdude as an exploiter wizard
Freeko as an archer paladin (divine/profane hunter?) of to be determined alignment
Chulanowa as a gunslinger or rogue
Rubyslippers as a monk

If I have that correct, and everyone is still interested, I think we have a good table ready. If we can find a divine caster for this group that would be awesome. It's not really needed at first, but at higher level you want a few 'remove nasty' spells

The game will be AO, as for which board I'll leave that to the party on a lowest threshold basis. Personally, considering the AP it can run from light to Non con. Personally I see no reason for Extreme.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Tamhansen

Also, for those who believe Pirates are a lawless bunch, here's a little history fact.

http://vk.com/video186914192_169214670
ons and offs

Blinkin

I wouldn't worry about the thread ending up in NC; I've seen lots of threads go into NC that had no NC elements at all. It's just to give a buffer for the players/GM in the event that something questionable for Light pops up.

I usually run my games in Extreme just to make sure that whatever happens is covered. I don't intend for extreme elements to occur, but I feel better with the leeway in content.

Personally, I would go with NC over light for the simple reason that it's covering just about everything that might happen; I've never seen an Adventure Path with even PG ratings, and I don't see our GM trying to include NC elements in the story... but if a couple of players want to play with the ropes on deck... they're safe from moderation.

I don't see any reason to drop over the forum being a step up the ladder simply because it's in NC.

As I said earlier, If Chew goes with a rogue, I'll make some very minor changes to Harlo; there's no real need to have a swashbuckler... mr. Flynn... picking locks and looking for traps if we have an expert with us.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

Well, strictly speaking I would be LG or CE for alignment. Then again if the GM allows something a little more like a NG/NE given the scenario would allow for it? I guess having that sorted would allow me to make my character. Though I certainly do want to make a Paladin since that is my comfort zone, I am not so sure it "fits" as the archetype would need to be adjusted somewhat first.

Then again that is why I simply ask the GM to see if the alignment can be shifted a little to get out of the lawful stupid pidgeonhole that I absolutely hate being wedged into in the first place. I think having the aura of good and detect evil is a paladin mainstay along with the anti-paladin having the inverse. So my character would be either Good or Evil accordingly. I would hope that the concepts of law or chaos need not be adhered to otherwise I will end up making a strictly worse fighter/archer when I lose the divine favors granted by being a paladin.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 12, 2016, 11:37:39 AM
Also, for those who believe Pirates are a lawless bunch, here's a little history fact.

http://vk.com/video186914192_169214670

And Pirates of the Inner Sea has codes for Pirates and Privateers near the back.

Tamhansen

@freeko. Antipaladins are by nature LE. But i find the class to be quite restricting. I'd happily allow you to play a paladin with LE alignment, simply oppose the alignment indicators on your speels and abilities.
ons and offs

Blinkin

Again, palidins and pirates don't get along too well. You'll probably find detect evil a little frustrating as just about everyone around you will set it off.

Your best bet is anti-paladin, and you could probably go a step in either direction without losing anything as our GM has said that he'll allow it.

In the end, S&S really isn't designed for "good" characters; it's not as bad as Way of the Wicked, but it's hard to be a "good" pirate... all of that raping and pillaging is hard on the good hearted. lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

Yeah well, someone has to make sure that the ship has proper provisions.. I could go shopping or something while you up and waterboard someone. ;p

Tamhansen

I never said taking a step. I said he could be an evil paladin. LE but with the paladin class instead of the AP class. But it is up to him.
ons and offs

Blinkin

"My, what interesting architecture..."

;)

I'm playing a thief in a 5E table top game with a paladin who's... apparently... shopping for a faith to follow since the one that he started out with doesn't do the vengeance/justice thing...

At 1st level, our first encounter with 10 bandits (against 7 PC's) and he's the only one who's not engaging the bad-guys because he's notn sure that they're hostile... They attacked with crossbows and then drew weapons... what makes you think that they're friendly? He then took the whole fight trying to locate the leader because... he's a paladin and he simply must face the leader.

Then... he asked... "Should we try to capture one of them for information?"

"Sure, but what are you going to do when you've figured out that a bandit pee-on in the middle of nowhere isn't going to know jack aabout what we're after (trying to get to the capital and report a town massacred)?"

A paladin can't kill a prisoner, you can't take him with us and you can't let him go to prey upon other travelers and you can't leave him in 3 feet of snow to starve...

So, we captured a bandit and when we left... we were still trying to figure out what to do with him.

Now, he's trying to catch the thief in a lie because the player knows that it's a lie... but it's actually not a lie because there's enough truth in it to actually be true from the thief's point of view... "I was wounded defending the town... just because that defense involved getting struck in the head while trying to trip an attacker... in the process of running for his life (unarmed and unarmored)... he was still defending the town... by accident. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 12, 2016, 01:23:08 PM
I never said taking a step. I said he could be an evil paladin. LE but with the paladin class instead of the AP class. But it is up to him.

Moving from LG to LE is a step on the alignment scale... it's even allowed for a diety as it's still within one step of a LG goed.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Tamhansen

ons and offs

Skynet

Hey folks. Is there room for one more?

I had a few character ideas. It seems some folks are raising the possibility of non-Core classes and archetypes, such as a Swashbuckler. In that case, can there be choices for Advanced Player's Guide and Ultimate Magic/Combat? Such as say, a Magus, Alchemist, or Gunslinger?

Right now I've seen folks suggest wanting to play a Wizard, gunslinger/rogue, monk, and swashbuckler. It seems we're rather covered on the melee front, assuming everybody sticks to what they planned, but rather light on the magical front especially when it comes to the divine.

The first idea I was thinking of was probably some kind of mobile combatant elf girl. Likely an unarmed Magus, Monk, Rogue, or even Alchemist. Ideally I think leaning towards alchemist may be best for this party set-up:

The second idea was a devotee of Callistria, a fortune-telling cleric or seer who wields a mean whip in combat:

Chulanowa

I dunno about Calistria (overplayed on E, IMO) but a cleric of Besmara would be fun to see!

I'm definitely going for a rogue-type. Leaves a little squirm room for particulars at the moment, but definitely a dexterity-based combatant with the skills to pay the bills.

freeko

Quote from: Skynet on March 12, 2016, 02:01:54 PM
Hey folks. Is there room for one more?

The info for characters is on the first page, though the second idea seems fun I must say.

------

@Tamhansen: So I would essentially be a Paladin but "evil" instead of good? I would channel negative energy, detect good, smite good, and have an aura of injustice for example? Seems easily adjusted though I would still function in the same way as a "Paladin" would with healing the party with lay on hands and the like?