From Pew Research concerning the importance of the Latino vote in 2012:
FL - 15%. For the massive Hispanic community that we keep hearing about within the state, that doesn't seem like a high proportion.
VA & NC - 5%. What particular ethnicity do you think dominates the remaining 95% of the eligible voters within those states?
From the LA Times about the importance of the Latino vote in 2016:
That article was written almost a year ago. A more contemporary source would carry more weight.
Second, it notes that Latinos - on the whole - will consist of over 10%
of all voters within the US.
Finally, it's worth pointing out the figures at the end. 60% of the white electorate means that 42% of the Hispanic electorate would need to vote for a candidate (most likely a Republican, as the black community has been in the Democrats' back pocket for the last 50 years) to secure victory.
If you drop the figure by 1% amongst whites, though - 60 down to 59 - then the Hispanic portion of the vote you need jumps by 5% - up from 42 to 47. Now, we are talking about the same number of voters here - the number of votes you need is a fixed number - so whites carry more electoral punch than blacks, Hispanics, or Asians (who always seem to get left out of this discussion). If you can only influence X% of the voters, then you're better off going for the whites, because there are simply more of them.
If the GOP wants to write off the Latino vote, go right ahead.
White, black, Latino - percentage of voting population by race or ethnicity is irrelevant. For as repugnant a statement as it was, Romney was right in one aspect of his 47% comment - there will be people, regardless of anything, who choose to vote for their party. Die-hards, right now, do not win elections in and of themselves. The swing voters, in battleground states, are who matters. Identifying who they are, and what they care about, is the number one priority for both parties in order to achieve victory. If 80% of Hispanics are die-hard Democrats, will never consider
voting Republican, then the GOP is right to write off the Latino vote and go somewhere it is more likely to have success and gain votes. (I'm just using this as an example, I know it's actually not true.)
Ignoring a specific group of voters within the US boundaries is not a sin, especially when it's clear that they would rather put a ham sandwich in the Oval Office than you.