You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 28, 2016, 06:47:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Fallout d10 System Overview (WIP)  (Read 408 times)

Offline NightHawk429Topic starter

• Teller of tales both great and humble, A man of refined perversion, Dark lord of E, Paladin for the Holy Order of the Semicolon, Defender of literacy.
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • I see many worlds, through many eyes.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Fallout d10 System Overview (WIP)
« on: February 20, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »
Version: 1.0.0
This system is primarily going to be used for my Fallout-based group game located here, but this system is free to be used by any and all freely.

"War, war never changes..."

Hello all, over the past few days, I have been getting ready for a Fallout-themed group system RPG and as such have been looking through a plethora of systems that I could use to govern it, and one thing has been blatantly obvious, they all use WAY too many numbers. So I have been formulating a very numbers-light system for the game so that the story can move forward quite quickly. All basic rules will be covered here, though specific NPC/creature stats, weapon effects, consumables, etc will be posted on the World Building thread associated with my group game located here. (Currently under construction) This system is absolutely free for anybody to use, and feedback is not only accepted but encouraged. Happy gaming, all.

Character Creation

You know, I tried to measure my Charisma on a Vit-o-Matic Vigor Tester once. The machine burst into flames.
                                                                                                                                                                    -Mr. New Vegas

Character creation is a simple process, borrowing heavily from Fallout 4 with a lot of the fluff taken out. Fallout has always run on the SPECIAL system, which is an acronym for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck, which are the governing skills for this system. Most rolls are essentially played out with an incredibly simple formula, roll a d10 + SPECIAL modifiers + perk modifiers; if the result is above the target's "success threshold" the action succeeds, if the result is below the target's success threshold then the action fails. Combat requires a few more variables added into the mix, but that will be detailed in the next section. Not all non-combat actions will need a role as this would just bog down the game with too many number. For example disarming an undetonated nuclear bomb would need a perception roll, intimidating a raider to back off without conflict would need a charisma, etc. The following section describes each SPECIAL stat in more detail, and each aspect of the game that said skill is used for.

Strength: Strength is one of two primary combat skills, used as a modifier for making unarmed, melee, and thrown weapon attacks. Passively, strength is also used to calculate carry weight and used as a prerequisite for using certain armors. (ex. Leather armor requires a strength of 2 to use, while metal armor requires a strength of 3.) Out of combat, strength is used to craft weapons and armor, with each piece receiving an additional passive attack/armor bonus equal to half of the character's current strength.

Perception: Perception is the second of two primary combat skills, used as a modifier for firearms, explosives, and energy weapons. Passively, perception is used to determine the the success threshold for making a successful sneak attempt, which is calculated as 10 + perception skill. The same formula is also used to passively calculate the success threshold for making a charisma check. (ex. A character with 5 perception would have a success threshold for both sneak and speech of 15, meaning that someone would have to roll a combined total of 15 or more to make a successful check in these areas.) Out of combat, perception is used for lockpicking, pickpocketing, eavesdropping, or any other task that uses an immense amount of focus.

Endurance: Endurance is primarily used as a passive skill to determine total hit points and certain damage resistances. Hit points are calculated as being 10 + endurance skill. (ex. A character with 5 endurance will have 15 hit points without any other modifiers.) The same formula is used to determine passive resistance to radiation and poison. Endurance is rarely used as a combat or non-combat ability.

Charisma: Charisma is never used as a combat or passive skill. Charisma will always be used to make a check to influence the target in some way. Charisma can be used for speech, intimidation, barter, or any other task that is used to influence another character with personality or speech alone. Charisma is also a primary skill for use with the Fallout d10 Generals addon, which is detailed in full at the bottom of the page.

Intelligence: Intelligence is rarely used as a combat ability. Most of the time, intelligence is used when a task requires knowledge that is not innately known. Intelligence can be used for hacking, crafting chems, crafting explosives, repairing or improving items, and wound treatment. Intelligence is also quite important for use with the Fallout d10 Generals addon, which is detailed in full at the bottom of the page.

Agility: Agility is used to determine movement speed while in the "overworld map," (detailed fully in the movement tab) as well as passively used to determine a character's chance of setting of a mine or other floor-based trap. The success threshold for a floor-based activating is 10 + agility skill. (ex. A character with 5 agility will have a success threshold for a trap to activate of 15, which means that the roll for the trap to activate would have to be 15 or more to succeed.) Agility is also passively used as a prerequisite for equipping certain weapons. (ex. Equipping a baseball bat requires 2 agility, while equipping a 10mm pistol requires 3 agility.) Out of combat, agility is used for sneaking, disarming traps, and other tasks that require a character to be agile or use finesse.

Luck: Luck is almost entirely used passively to determine what equipment or money is scavenged from looting, and when certain perks take effect. Different formulas will be used by the GM to determine access to equipment, but most commonly, the formula will consist of, when the character makes a loot check, the GM will roll a single d10 (or more dependent on perk abilities) + luck skill to get the character's "loot score," the character will then be given a piece of equipment equal to the combined amount. For example, if a player character with 5 luck makes a loot check, the GM will roll a d10, if the result is 5, the character's loot score will be 10. Each weapon, consumable, armor, etc, will have an attached loot score and it is up to the GM to give an appropriate piece of equipment to the character based on the roll.

Now that the relationship between SPECIAL stats and the game has been explained, I will give access to the basic character sheet that will be used with this system. Though, this character sheet is only the absolutely basic information needed, in further addons or custom variations of this system the character sheet can definitely be more specifically designed, but for now, this is the character sheet with information that is needed to play the game.

Code: [Select]
[img height=300]Character Image[/img]

[b]Basic Information[/b]

[b]Weapon Preference:[/b] (Melee, Firearms, Explosives, etc)

[b]SPECIAL[/b] (All values start at one, 30 points to allocate)

[b]Total XP:[/b]
[b]Perk List:[/b] (All characters gain 5 perks at level 1, and 1 perk each subsequent level)

[b]Short Bio:[/b]

XP and Leveling Up

"Wow! I feel as if I've passed some arbitrary experience value and gained more power!"

When a character is created, they start at level 1 with no XP, or experience points. Each level requires gaining 100 XP, XP is gained after every victorious combat with the XP value of each enemy added to the victorious character's total XP. While player characters do not have an XP value, they will always give 25 XP no matter what, though a max-level player character will always award 100 XP. The maximum level that a character can attain is 20, whenever a character levels up, they are allowed to raise one special stat of their choice, and gain one perk. XP will not be awarded for crafting, or speech checks, or whatever like it is in the game, as I believe XP should be a measure of your survival capability rather than an arbitrary number given for mundane tasks.

"You got lives in you, hard to kill. Storm, bullets, sand and wind, yet still you walk. For now."

I attempted to design a combat system that used as little dice rolls as possible to preserve the overall flow of the game, and I believe I have succeeded quite well, though feedback on this section, or any other section of the page is appreciated. This system has been specifically designed with player vs player combat in mind, but player vs environment will work just as well. Combat is always resolved in three stages: initiative, battle, and resolution. Initiative is when the instance of combat begins, the area in which the combat takes place is described, and the attack order is determined. the attack order is determined by agility, highest agility goes first, lowest goes last. If there are more than two combatants in a combat instance, all combatants will attack in order of most agility to least agility. If two combatants have the same agility, then their perception breaks the tie, if their perception is the same, then their intelligence breaks the tie, if their intelligence is the same, then luck breaks the tie. During the battle stage, the combatants can make two actions, movement and attack. While most modern RPG systems rely on a tabletop display and miniatures, this system does not, movement, rather than being an arbitrary "move x number of squares, blah blah blah," movement will essentially be boiled down to move into cover / move out of cover. Moving into an enemy's line of sight will allow you to get an attack off, but when the enemy's turn comes up, they will have the ability to make an immediate attack and then move behind cover themselves, so it is advantageous to balance covering and line of sight. Moving into cover essentially means just moving across the battlefield until you reach a point in which the enemy cannot shoot you effectively. While in cover, all combatants receive a +5 bonus to their damage threshold. (Which functions identically to a success threshold described earlier, but will also be elaborated on later in this section) The battle stage lasts until either all enemy-aligned combatants are dead/incapacitated, or the enemies retreat. The resolution stage is used as the definitive end of combat, for determining experience points gained, loot acquired, and resolving any player character deaths that may have been incurred. If either friendly combatants or enemy combatants flee, combat ends normally, but the fleeing party receives no benefits and gains a head start ahead of the characters who beat them, as to get back to safe territory ahead of the enemy.

The formulae used for combat are as follows. For attacking, roll 1d10 + strength/perception skill (see associated SPECIAL attributes to see what skill determines what type of weapon)+ possible perk effects + weapon damage + misc effects. Miscellaneous effects can be from chems, passive armor effects, alcohol, or even food. Basically, this is just a term for anything that is either situational or will ware off after a set time limit. For defense, the damage threshold is used to determine the number that needs to be rolled to damage the enemy. When attacking, if the attacker rolls a d10 and the result is a natural 10 without modifiers, the attack is a critical hit, which results in limb damage. When limb damage occurs, the GM will role a d6 to determine the body part that was affected. (See chart below for limb damage) For each body part damaged, the attacker will gain +1 to their attack role when attacking again, while the defender will suffer a -1 to their attack role when they attack again. The only way to heal damaged limbs is to specifically target the body part you wish to heal, which depletes a move action, this also confers no healing to the users hit points, it only repairs a single damaged limb. Damage threshold is passively determined with the following formula; 10 + endurance skill + armor score + perk effects + misc effects. If an attack made against the enemy's damage threshold is successful, the attack counts as a hit and the remainder from subtracting the damage threshold from the attack total is the resulting damage. (ex. If the defender's damage threshold is 15 and the attacker's attack role totals 18, the defender takes 3 damage, but if the attacker's attack role totals 14, then the attack is a miss) And finally the success threshold for successfully fleeing is, 3 + the number of enemies which have line of sight on the combatant attempting to flee, the fleeing character then rolls an unmodified d10, if the result is greater than the success threshold the flee is successful and the combatant runs away, if the result is below the success threshold the flee is unsuccessful and the combatant ends their currant turn automatically. (ex. If two characters have line of sight on the fleeing target, the success threshold is 5, so a single roll of the d10 must be a 5 or above for the combatant to flee)

When a character, or group of characters, flee, all allied forces must flee in order for the group fleeing attempt to be successful. When a combatant makes a successful flee roll, they are considered dead/incapacitated, their attack is removed from the order, and they are no longer able to be targeted. If, for example, there is a group of three enemy combatants and one combatant successfully flees, but shortly after, two of their allies become dead/incapacitated, the combat still resolves like normal with the fleeing combatant still getting away. Combat will only conclude when all enemy or friendly units have fled or are considered dead/incapacitated, if one character makes a successful flee, they still flee at the end of combat, but combat does not end unless they were the only surviving combatant.

Limb Damage Chart:
Roll 1 |Head
Roll 2 |Torso
Roll 3 |Left Arm
Roll 4 |Right Arm
Roll 5 |Left Leg
Roll 6 |Right Leg

Character Death

"From where you're kneeling it must seem like an 18-carat run of bad luck. Truth is... The game was rigged from the start."

In combat, or whenever damage is being taken, whenever a character reaches 0 or less health, they are immediately considered dead/incapacitated. If a combatant is brought down to zero HP by a critical hit, it is automatically a death, the character will pretty much explode in a cartoonishly over the top display of blood and gore. But in combat, if a character's HP is reduced to 0 without a critical hit, the character is considered incapacitated. Essentially, they can be thought of as either bleeding out, or otherwise unconscious. Once out of combat, the incapacitated player has two in-game days to be healed outside of combat before being declared dead.

Once a character is definitively thought of as dead, they still physically exist in the world, their gear is still on them, and their body is still present. If a player wants to create a new character and retrieve the gear, that would be acceptable, but there would need to be a good RP reason for doing so. But once a character is dead, that character cannot be replayed or use any do overs, dead is dead. You wouldn't believe the amount of GMs I have seen who just conveniently drop a resurrecter  who just happens to work pro bono in the local church, with what practically amounts to a neon sign pointing to them when a character bites the dust, well that isn't how this system works, dead is for good.

Optional Disfigurement Mechanic
Another idea that is completely optional, but will most likely be a mechanic that I will use in future, is the idea of disfigurement. If a character becomes incapacitated, there is a small percentage chance that the character will lose an arm or a leg or gain a nasty scar. The way that this would work is that a finishing attack that would bring a defender's health down to zero would trigger the GM to roll a d10, if the d10 is a natural 10, the roll is counted as a critical hit, (though not in the sense that it would be a killing blow) and the limb damage dice is rolled. The corresponding result will be a limb that gets disfigured or scarred. If the attack was made with a knife and the critical limb role resulted in the head, the character would essentially end up looking like The Governor from The Walking Dead, or if the attack was made with a rocket launcher and the critical limb role resulted in left arm, the hand could be blown off, kind of like Merle from The Walking Dead, huh, I'm sensing a pattern here. But this is an optional mechanic that goes hand in hand with death, so I thought I would throw it in with the system. Though, not all players will be comfortable with this, hence why it is completely optional.

Overworld Map and Movement

"Finding it, though, that's not the hard part. It's letting go"
                                                                                  -Father Elijah

Since I designed this system to work with a very large area of land to traverse, I am adapting the Fallout 1/2 map system to work in a system setting. As the entirety of Fallout (barring one crappy DLC) takes place on Earth in a fairly true-to-life capacity, real world distances will be used as the basis for long distance travel. For example, walking from the real world location of the town of Megaton from Fallout 3 to the real world location of Rivet City, also from Fallout 3, would take about 3.5 hours in real life, while walking from Megaton to Diamond city, from Fallout 4, would take approximately 6 days on foot in real life. Also, for each point of agility, the time traveled will be cut by 2%, so, for a character with an agility of 1, travelling from Megaton to Diamond City would take approximately 141 hours, or 5 days and 21 hours, but a character with 10 agility would be able to make the journey in 115 hours, or 4 days and 19 hours. Of course, these numbers will be up to the GM to figure out, the player only has to indicate start location and end location.

When two opposing travelling parties intersect with each other, they will be pulled into a combat instance. An opposing party could be controlled by another player, or consist entirely of NPCs. Common NPC encounters will consist of raiders, ghouls, super mutants, mutated animals, and hostile factions. (Enclave, Gunners, Caesar's Legion, etc) Though, the GM can give random encounters, a complete surprise attack which the party will immediately go into combat with. Once a party arrives at a destination, the player(s) in charge of it are free to RP in that area until they leave once more. Movement, instances, and locations will all be very focused on RP with little to no actual numbers or dice rolls involved.

Weapons and Armor

"Need to do some killin', eh?"

Weapons and armor function quite simply, typically only consisting of a prerequisite for equipping the item, damage/armor modifier, and alternative effects. (mostly used with legendary weapons) Two more variables integral to how weapons and armor function are loot value and crafting requirements. Loot value is a number from 1-25 on the weapon or armor which would correspond to a character's luck role when looting. If a character roles higher than a single item's loot score, the GM can, rather than forcing the player to take an item arbitrarily based on the number, choose to give multiple items to the character that add up to the total loot score. It is also situational when certain items will be available, if you are in a military base and you are looting the armory, it's likely that you would primarily find guns, ammo, and pre-war armor, though if you are looting an old drug store, you will most likely find first aid, chems, pre-war money, or junk. Each piece of armor will be marked with a situational marker next to the loot score, these markers will consist of pre-war weapons, post-war weapons, pre-war armor, post-war armor, pre-war food, post-war food, clothing, ammo, first aid, chems, alcohol, books, and junk. Finally, crafting requirements are listed as the raw materials that can be combined to make a weapon, piece of armor, chem, ammunition, or food. All raw materials will be listed as junk and can be scrapped from destroying items to salvage their raw materials. The following tabs are the basic templates for all items in the game, and should be listed under a world building topic for specific games.

Weapon Template:
[img height=150]Weapon Image Here[/img]

[b]Weapon Name:[/b]
[b]Attack Modifier:[/b]
[b]Ammo Type:[/b] (For Guns Only)
[b]Miscellaneous Effect(s):[/b]

[b]Loot Value:[/b] (1-25)
[b]Situational Marker:[/b] (pre-war weapons, post-war weapons)
[b]Crafting Requirements:[/b]

Armor Template:
[img height=250]Armor Image Here[/img]

[b]Armor Name:[/b]
[b]Defense Modifier:[/b]
[b]Miscellaneous Effect(s):[/b]

[b]Situational Marker:[/b] (pre-war armor, post-war armor, clothing)

Consumable Template:
[img height=250]Consumable Image Here[/img]

[b]Consumable Name:[/b]

[b]Situational Marker:[/b] (first aid, chems, alcohol)

Miscellaneous Template:
[img height=250]Item Image Here[/img]

[b]Item Name:[/b]

[b]Situational Marker:[/b] (ammo, books, junk)
[b]Raw Materials Contained:[/b]

NPCs and Creatures

"Keep firing! They bleed just like anything else"
                                                            -Sarah Lyons

Enemy NPCs will function more or less like player characters, but with slightly reduced stats and no perks. But creatures will have an entirely unique character sheet, as most creatures in Fallout have special attacks that they use almost exclusively. For example, deathclaws use their claws to swipe and impale rather than humans just swiping with a bladed weapon, in Fallout 4, mole rats and radscorpions gained the ability to dig through the ground, bloatflies, stingwings, and bloodbugs can fly, etc. All NPCs and creatures can be randomly generated without much fuss, with a weak enemy, a d4 can be rolled to determine each SPECIAL stat, a d6 for mid-level enemies, and a d8 for tough enemies. So the following two tabs will include a template character sheet for human NPCs and creatures.

Human NPCs:
[b]Equipped Weapon:[/b]
[b]XP Value[/b]

[b]Creature Name:[/b]
[b]XP Value[/b]

[b]Attack 1:[/b]
[b]Attack 2:[/b] (if applicable)
[b]Attack 3:[/b] (if applicable)

This is all I have so far, I will be adding perks to the main system, and adding the "Generals" addon in the next update. Feedback is encouraged, tell me if some aspects of the system is weak, tell me where I could improve, or just give constructive criticism. This is my first homebrew system as I have always used vanilla systems with some house rules in the past, but this idea has been spinning around in my head for a while, and I just wanted to get it out there in case anybody else would get a kick out of using it. And once this system is finished, it will be 100% free to use, you don't even have to give me credit, just have fun. I will also be going back and cleaning the post of any errors or repeated information once I have the rest of the system written down, but in the meantime I will be jotting down perk ideas.