You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 02:10:33 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Best game for a solo adventure?  (Read 747 times)

Offline ThatRPGuyTopic starter

Best game for a solo adventure?
« on: February 14, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »
My SO and I have been talking for a while about doing a small one on one campaign in some kind of tabletop system. The problem has been finding the right one. Many systems are generally geared towards a party of adventurers, with many players having a specific role.

I'm trying to find something that's in the light to medium range in rules that's good for a solo adventure. Ideally, she'd have a good mix of combat, magic, and utility abilities so that she could tackle situations differently and not be doing the same thing all the time. Setting isn't super important, be both love nearly every genre, so the most important part has been finding the right system for what we're looking for.

Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Best game for a solo adventure?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 01:51:05 PM »
Dresden Files, using the FATE system maybe?
GURPS lets you build pretty much any kind of character
Scion or Exalted, depending if you like modern or fantasy.
Maybe one of the World of Darkness games?

Online Cassandra LeMay

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 02:48:51 AM »
My SO and I have been talking for a while about doing a small one on one campaign in some kind of tabletop system. The problem has been finding the right one. Many systems are generally geared towards a party of adventurers, with many players having a specific role.
That underlying design assumption to many games only becomes important if you run adventures that follow the same design assumptions. If your SO and you know some systems you are both familiar with, just use that and structure the adventure to allow for a single character. Or at least that's how I would do it - use a system I know well enough to make changes to adventures or create adventures that don't follow the "group concept". Chances are you'll have to put some work into the adventures anyway, so I'd say it's best to do that with a system you are already familiar with, instead of trying out something new and unfamiliar.

Online Blythe

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 03:37:46 AM »
You might like Mythic, perhaps? I've played it and liked it, and I've both adapted it to work with D&D before and have had a friend adapt Anima: Beyond Fantasy's setting using Mythic--just requires a bit of creativity here and there. ^^ But I do know it works great for one GM + one player.

Rules are easy, can be adapted to most genres and many pre-existing settings, is a very flexible system. Not 100% sure if it's what you'd what, but I like how it handles things.

Offline ThatRPGuyTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 01:16:45 PM »
Taking a glance at Mythic, it seems like a really great option, plus it's cheap, so I can afford you take a closer look at it this next payday...

Online Thufir Hawat

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/127458/Scarlet-Heroes-Quickstart
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/news/runequest-essentials
http://www.eclipsephase.com/qsr

Either one would do, all three are free, all have paid full versions. Runequest Essentials has the advantage of actually offering the full corerules, but not all the sorcery, and you can expand it to modern settings with the equally free Runequest Firearms supplement.
Personally, I'd go for either Runequest or Eclipse Phase, and just give her more Luck Points or Moxie points, but I think you should check all three.

Offline Skynet

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »
Thufir recommended Scarlet Heroes, and I heartily recommend it.  I cannot speak about RuneQuest as I never played it, but Eclipse Phase is a rather rules-heavy game to get into, whereas Scarlet Heroes is based upon Basic Dungeons & Dragons which is a rather minimalist and rules-lite game.

The best part about Scarlet Heroes is that it implements rules so that a one-person adventuring party can still kick ass and not get overwhelmed in dungeon crawls.  It handles this by tweaking the hit point and damage system a bit for your hero's staying power while making monsters easier to kill; a Fray Dice which represents short quick attacks so you can hit multiple weak opponents at once; and a "dodging doom" system where you can wager hit points to avoid a certain death effect.

Regarding not doing the same thing over, there tends to be a lack of options at low level, especially if you're not a spellcaster, but it has an open-ended skill system and you can multi-class to become a fighter/mage or what have you.

I've played quite a few Scarlet Heroes games with my normal gaming circle, and it does hold up well system-wise.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:07:36 PM by Skynet »