Happy New Year and how to celebrate it...

Started by justme4386, January 01, 2016, 03:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justme4386

Hey fellow Eddicts,

No more champagne and the fireworks are through... and so now that we are in 2016, I kind of had an odd thought and didn't know where to stick this thread. I hope it fits here. :D

When talking to a friend today it struck me that in Germany we have a slightly peculiar New Years Eve tradition and I wanted to share it with you and to maybe get some of you what you guys do in your country.

In Germany over the course of New Years Eve when surfing the TV Channels you will inevitably run across a short, black and white movie. It's actually called "Dinner for One" (in English!) and subtitles "oder der 90. Geburtstag. It has a short introduction in German and after that it's all in English. It's a classic. I don't think there's a single person in Germany who DOESN'T know it.

This is it (and if you don't understand the German intro don't worry, after 2:26 it's all in English):

If you can't watch it because it's blocked on youtube (like I can't), maybe this link to a German public TV station website will work.

So I hope you enjoyed this little jewel of German tradition that's been around for over 50 years. Please feel free to share if there's something similar (or completely different) where you come from, that's you think might be something very particular to your country or culture.

Happy New Year and may it be filled with Joy, Laughter, Happiness and Love,
Me
A word of advice: Don't take me serious - unless I am. And you will know when I am!

ONs and OFFs
updated March 30th 2019
Apologies and Absences
updated April 19th 2019