Need recommendation on an MP3 player

Started by Oniya, December 31, 2015, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Anyone know of a good MP3 player that isn't too expensive?

Little Oni got an MP3 player for Christmas.  She has two digital-download albums that we purchased for her.  She wants to play the songs in a certain order.  Sounds easy, right?  Sounds like something that any MP3 player should be able to accomplish, right?  WRONG!

First thing we tried:  Under the 'Music' menu was a Create Playlist option.  Gives a screen that says 'Creating Playlist', with no option after that to select songs.

So, we emailed customer support.  They said we needed to use the EasyRIP software included with the device, and gave instructions on how to make a playlist.  Installed that, set up the playlist, copied it to the device.  It still didn't play in order.  I told the email-tech this, and was told to call the 800 number.

So, I called the 800 number.  I barely got the model number out when the tech on the other end identified my problem - apparently, the RCA M6504-A will not play playlists in order.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

I got this one for Christmas, and love it. No faffing about with software, just make playlists on the computer, load and play. I don't know how long it will last, but so far I can't find anything wrong with it.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

mellowdude

Did you manage to get the songs playing?

One option that comes to mind is renaming each file and prefacing them with a number in the order you want them to play (e.g. "1. Song 1", "2. Song 2", etc.). Don't know if this will work for your device, but IME some devices just play things in alphabetic order (which includes numbers)

Oniya

At this point, she's looking into using some gift cards on an iPod - just debating between the Nano and the Shuffle (the key difference being the existence of a screen.)

mellowdude

Ah alright then. iTunes is reasonably user friendly for getting songs onto a device.

AmberStarfire

It sounds like it might not be relevant now but..

Sony ones are really good (I have a red one).

It turns out it has a colour screen as well, but really I just use it for listening to music.

I'm not sure of the exact model but it looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZE383-Walkman-Video-Player/dp/B00EE1H7BQ

It works just like a portable hard drive and you can separate your music by folders on there, and it shows up on the MP3 directory. My one can also play for a very long time without charging. Something like 12 hours or more.