Cowboys vs. Zombies

Started by RedEve, December 13, 2015, 05:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiden

So would the undead rising be more of an inconvenience then a fear? Keeping in mind they can kill, but its the wild west, everything can kill you.  XD

RedEve

Quote from: Aiden on December 14, 2015, 11:00:39 AM
So would the undead rising be more of an inconvenience then a fear? Keeping in mind they can kill, but its the wild west, everything can kill you.  XD

Since they will overrun the town and kill quite a few of the townfolks, I'm guessing it will be more than a mere inconvenience.

Though I guess they will be used to the harshness of frontier life. Not to the extent that they would be blasé when the undead suddenly attack.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Aiden

Sudden attack, got it!

I can't wait to shoot a zombie person and be all "I never liked him much anyway"

Gypsy

Wouldn't that depend on what you're afraid of?    I think there's always a fear and horror factor involved in the dead walking, from religious implications to the hope/crippling factor of having people you know and love that you have to 'kill', even if they're already dead. 

Even a brave man who doesn't flinch at fighting outlaws might feel something different if someone he knows and has talked to suddenly rises up and tried to eat him.  :-)

But I'm glad to hear that you're not going for the more blase factor of D&D -- oh, a bunch of undead are coming.  Get the cleric out here!
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

RedEve

Between this thread and some IM conversations, I now have around 11 people (if I counted correctly) who have expressed at least some interest in this game.

With that in mind, I feel like I can move on to the next phase, which is creating a character sheet and adding some more background info to the opening post.

Aiden

Gypsy

I don't know what sorts of interest you might already have, but I was thinking something along the lines of a widow who owns the local mercantile/dry goods store, having inherited it after her husband's death.  She'd not be a timid sort, would have a rather colorful past, and would be very much prepared to defend herself, her property, and her town against whatever threat comes.
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

MissFire

Name:Becky Farrah/Ransam Pride
Role: Outlaw
Biography: A woman in these times has about as much rights as a horse. Sometimes less. So when Becky Farrah's husband got drunk, just about beat Becky half to death and she was forced to put a few new holes in that empty head of his, it was ruled as cold-blooded murder. Now, first Becky tried to defend herself from these accusations with words. She explained to Bill's friends and said he'd been mighty intoxicated, got powerful angry and mighty carried away. "Bill could hold his liqour!" they'd said, "Uppity bitch!" they'd called her, "Your fault to begin with!" they'd shouted. They were about to put Becky in her place, finish what Bill started. Well, Becky wasn't the kind of girl you could knock around. Bill found that out the hard way and right then and there, so did his friends. It came to blows and they did a number on 'ol Becky, one even cut her throat, but she was a tough woman to kill. It ended with those boys kissing the ground. Three more dead men on her doorstep. Around this time she decided it was probably a good idea to bail on the little town she'd called home. Just in the nick of time, too, because that evening the Sheriff stopped by Becky's place to question her about Bill's death. What he saw was three additional corpses, drying in the Texas heat.

Becky saw the wanted posters soon after. Fear of capture prompted her to change her name and style of dress. Having always admired female outlaws she chose the rather showy 'Ransam Pride' as her moniker (thought she misspelled 'ransom') and took up a red scarf and leather duster. Got herself a shotgun and a revolver for protection. Needed 'em, too. Hard for a woman to make it on her own out here. More 'misunderstandings' occured and they soon stopped being accidents. She turned sour and started to take delight in giving cruel men what was coming to 'em. The wanted posters for the smiling face of Becky Farrah soon disappeared, replaced with the hard scowl of Ransam Pride. Train robber. Bank robber. Man slayer. Damsel saver.

She's passing through Crimson Springs, just long enough to have a drink and then sit her tired hide in a real bed for one night before moving on. 'Ol Becky has no idea what kind of night she's in for. If the sheriff don't get her, the zombies just might.

Arsenal: Taylor's & Hammer Co. Coach Gun, Colt Single Action Army, Bowie Knife
Theme: Don't Bother None
Face: Lizzy Caplan
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

RedEve

Oops, forgot to add that I'd prefer to get the character sheets in a PM first!
Sorry.

RedEve

Quote from: GypsyRose on December 14, 2015, 11:38:08 AM
I don't know what sorts of interest you might already have, but I was thinking something along the lines of a widow who owns the local mercantile/dry goods store, having inherited it after her husband's death.  She'd not be a timid sort, would have a rather colorful past, and would be very much prepared to defend herself, her property, and her town against whatever threat comes.

That sounds like a fine idea.  :-)

RedEve

I have updated the opening post with the link to the character thread.

People who already have an approved character may move their CS in there.

Garuss Vakarian

Quote from: RedEve on December 14, 2015, 04:37:17 AM
What exactly is the concern in terms of historical accuracy?
I would say that the basic setting would be grounded in reality, up until the inclusion of the zombies.
The general tone would be more pulpy, if that makes sense.

So less TWD (which can be overly serious) and more (later) Romero.

It's not a concern. I was merely agreeing that Historical accuracy is important was all. Further I think she was just saying that, in general, accuracy is important. By no means did I intend to imply you wouldn't do a good job or anything, Sorry. I dont speak for my friend Noir, but I dont think she meant to imply anything either. At any rate I think making it pulpy sounds pretty fun. Would I be right in thinking it is somewhat along the lines of a Tarantino film like Django Unchained?

la dame en noir

Quote from: Garuss Vakarian on December 14, 2015, 04:52:31 PM
It's not a concern. I was merely agreeing that Historical accuracy is important was all. Further I think she was just saying that, in general, accuracy is important. By no means did I intend to imply you wouldn't do a good job or anything, Sorry. I dont speak for my friend Noir, but I dont think she meant to imply anything either. At any rate I think making it pulpy sounds pretty fun. Would I be right in thinking it is somewhat along the lines of a Tarantino film like Django Unchained?

yes, this is what I meant. I wanted to make a black character and just wanted to know how historically accurate she needed to be.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Garuss Vakarian

Well I personally don't mind historical accuracy in that matter. It makes sense if people tend to be rascist, my character just won't be. I actually made a native American with race tensions in mind. Pluss i wanted to play the more wilderness savey and stealthy character like Darrel. Except rather then crossbow\bows my guy is more of a melee guy and weapon thrower.

Mathim

Quote from: RedEve on December 14, 2015, 10:20:15 AM
That's "Dawn of the Dead" and the first one where he truly uses that lighter, tongue-in-cheek tone.

I hated that one. The survivors just acted too foolishly to be believed at times. Like when they were out trying to park trucks in front of all the entrances, why the hell were they splitting up instead of working as a team? No wonder that one guy got bit. Also, what was the helicopter for? Not only did it waste fuel, serve no real purpose and potentially create enough noise and attention to attract both raiders and zombies from far off, but he could have been more useful on the ground with the other two.

Garuss, if I wanted to play another Native character, how would we go about that? Familiar? Not from the same tribe at all? Both from tribal villages or one or both having been somewhat or fully integrated into settler culture? Just curious. Don't even know which of us had the idea first.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Garuss Vakarian

Looking back you called it first however, I to see no reason for us not to both play one. My character is a half breed raised among the Navejo and specializes in melee and knife\tomahawk throwing. I chose the Navajo since, much of my knowledge in names, customes, and language extend to the navajo tribes and clans. So perhaps your character is from the Navajo as well. And if you have any historical, mythological or even cultural questions. I can answer them.

I was in fact thinking the local natives would be thinking that the zombies are their own mythological monster. The Wendago. However if that is acurate doesn't matter, it's just what the tribe would think they are.

Mathim

Quote from: Garuss Vakarian on December 14, 2015, 07:27:47 PM
Looking back you called it first however, I to see no reason for us not to both play one. My character is a half breed raised among the Navejo and specializes in melee and knife\tomahawk throwing. I chose the Navajo since, much of my knowledge in names, customes, and language extend to the navajo tribes and clans. So perhaps your character is from the Navajo as well. And if you have any historical, mythological or even cultural questions. I can answer them.

I was in fact thinking the local natives would be thinking that the zombies are their own mythological monster. The Wendago. However if that is acurate doesn't matter, it's just what the tribe would think they are.

I was going to be my version of Elijah Black, who had been trained or at least mentally prepared for this kind of thing since their superstitions just happened to line up exactly with this; I basically wanted to play a character who doesn't have any qualms about killing the familiar after they've reanimated, and who looks down on those who do as weak or foolish. Depending on the geographic breakdown of the various tribes, I may make him Navajo or some other tribe known to reside in the vicinity. But my guy would be more skilled with the bow and firearms so that could set our two apart.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

RedEve

Quote from: Garuss Vakarian on December 14, 2015, 04:52:31 PM

I wasn't taking affront, more trying to figure out what the concern was exactly in terms of the historical aspects of the game.
I would say that the story is grounded in reality, though I will not be especially harsh in my appraisal of the CS.
So if a character could fit into a western story with a pulpy tone, you should be fine.

Speaking specifically about portraying a black character, yes, you can certainly expect the bigotry, racism, ... such an individual might have experienced at the time.
Of course, how your character will be treated will also depend on how the other PCs choose to treat him/her.
Just because society as a whole was virulently racist by modern standards does not mean that every individual would conform to this notion.

RedEve

Added a map to the opening post.

I have only marked a few buildings, mostly because I want to give a chance to those of you who will live near or in the town center to choose their own location.

I might work on it a bit more during the weekend.

I based myself on this online map (credit where credit is due) but expanded a bit upon the amount of buildings, just to fit the scale of our community better.

Gypsy

Nice map!

Would it be possible for Kilkenny's Dry Goods to be the squatty L shaped building on farthest north point on the map, to the left of the church?

RedEve

Quote from: GypsyRose on December 15, 2015, 04:07:37 PM
Nice map!

Would it be possible for Kilkenny's Dry Goods to be the squatty L shaped building on farthest north point on the map, to the left of the church?

Sure. I've updated it. At least I think that's the building you meant?

RedEve

A general remark about the map: it would make sense if most of the (larger) buildings on Main Street are businesses like Kilkenny’s Dry Goods.
So think saloons, hotels, hardware store.
That does not mean that a shop or store cannot be located someplace else, obviously.

Gypsy

Quote from: RedEve on December 15, 2015, 04:19:04 PM
Sure. I've updated it. At least I think that's the building you meant?

That's it!  Thank you. :-)

RedEve

Updated map to add scale marking in feet as well as meters.

Garuss Vakarian