A friend and I are developing this extensive story for around ten characters. We'll be playing some of them, but we want others to play as well.
1. Which is the best way to attract creative writing players? Players that are good writers and care more for the story than the sex?
2. The game/story will have multiple characters within different factions and locations. I've seen some games where they have a thread for each location that is visited often.
3. Is there a useful way to keep up with the characters/players and actions and situations happening in the game? Other than taking notes in a notepad.
4. I know this may be rude, but is it permissiable to turn down a player because you don't believe they'll contribute much to the story. Like poor writing skills or conflicting personality?
5. Is there a good way of avoiding, dealing, or controlling any over the top players?
Is there any bits of advice on how to keep this game from blowing up in our faces?
1. Players Wanted thread...and be very specific on what you are looking for!
2 & 3. It's also good to have an OOC thread to discuss the game and keep things organized.
4. I actually made this a community discussion in On Topic. It is definitely okay to turn people down...as long as it's done nicely, feelings should not get hurt!
5. PM, PM, PM. Do not allow it to become a huge fight. If a few people complain to you as the main person, then PM that person...but don't involve others in it...basically don't create a lynching mob...that creates too much drama.
All games are only as good and last as long as the people in them. Be sure you have at least one other person who you know isn't going to flake out on you...that way if the others do, you can always restart the game with new people
Just my 2 cents!