Just a reminder that if you're interested, I'm now actively accepting concepts and slouching toward beginning soon. In the meantime, I have some questions and answers from the game's OOC.
1) What is the world like between Artifact Zones and bunkers? Is this 'nature reclaimed the land'? Are there any villages/settlements outside of bunkers? Are there mutant zombies roaming the land murdering people?
Yes, at least where you are, yes, maybe.
2) Where is the world in regards to technology? It's been a couple of generations -- how much has been rebuilt or can be recreated? Have people re-learned how to make anything? Do we have generators or power? Running water? Are all the batteries in the world dead at this point -- so even flashlights and walkie talkies are worthless? Is there any infrastructure?
It probably varies. Some places are anti-technology, others have repurposed alien tech for larger things, some are trying to work to restore previous levels of technology. I'd imagine that unless people created their own they would be out of luck. There's the ability to make batteries as needed, but it's hard and requires resources that may be hard to come by. The bunker does have its own power source, but once you're out of a place like that, good luck.
3) Is there communication between Settlements? Is there any communication between settlements outside of happenstance meetings? Is trade a thing?
Yes, depending on the settlements. (Helpful, I know.) The settlements near the Heathens are neutral to hostile and don't have regular contact, but there is a neutral agrarian commune that will deal with the Heathens on an as-needed basis.
4) What are eating? Is anybody reprocessing food? Are we still living off stuff from the previous world? Are we farming/growing/hunting our own food?
150 year old food would be kind of grody, just sayin'. Most of it has been farmed/hunted. It's hard to get up to large scale herds as they attract predators, but goats and chickens do tolerably well. Agriculture has seen a resurgence, though the soil doesn't seem particularly fertile and it's hard work. The bunker also has hydroponic equipment which is still operational, but uses a lot of water and energy that are only feasible due to its place in a working bunker.
5) What is the Heathen Society like? I assume there is intentionally no answer here, but saying "No answer" is still an answer -- but what is our society like? Do we have a ruler, do we have set laws? Do we have any iron-clad stances on stuff like alien tech or mutations or anything?
This is what y'all need to decide for yourselves. There's probably a leader, and I would assume that alien tech (as long as it is proven safe and non-mutagenic) and mutations are OK. But beyond that it's something I'd rather have happen as a player consensus because you're the ones who will be playing in the world.