Old School D&Dish RP- Anyone feel like a Crawl?

Started by Cirus, October 30, 2015, 07:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cirus

Wondering if anyone is running a good old fashioned dungeon crawl on here. Rules type would be something along the lines of the Cyclopedia, older red box, or more broadly, Microlite, Sword & Wizardry, Basic Fantasy or anything of the sort.

Are we living in a land, where Sex and Horror are the new Gods? -Frankie Goes to Hollywood

IC: New Orleans: House of the Rising Sun
O & O's
Needs & Fantasies

Muse

Do you play 2nd edition D&D?  I've got one of those in forgotten realms I could either retcon you into or bring you in at the next chapter. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Cirus

Are we living in a land, where Sex and Horror are the new Gods? -Frankie Goes to Hollywood

O & O's
Needs & Fantasies

Muse

Well, it was the last edition of DUngeons and DRagons that was simply an revision of the Red box system. 

The edition after that, 3rd/3.5/Pathfinder, was a substantial change of the core mechanic and the settings.  And they grew rapidly more diferent from there--for better or worse. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Rune

I might be interested in a Fantastic Heroes and Witchery game, but I tend to focus on plot rather than dungeon crawl.

Cirus

Recently I have gotten the serious itch for a crawl. I was hoping a narrative approach to the thread, if push comes to crawl I think I could DM with an npc floating here and there.

O & O's
Needs & Fantasies

Taffin Eyre

Cirus

In an ancient world, I DMed Moldvay 1981 edition (my absolutely favorite edition of any RPG), AD&D, 3rd edition (though incredibly casually). That being said, I have always played and ran my games with the premise that any rule that one had to look up, is rarely a rule you need. This is absolutely true with the exception of a THAC0.

While there was a time that I probably had the to-hit table memorized, that is a neuron that has since died, pickled in a bottle of rum or vodka.

As far as this crawl is concerned, if I were to take the mantle, I see myself more as a moderator than a dungeon master. I see myself as moderating, or suggesting the world around the players, and never as a judge. If I were to introduce a dragon to the party, it could very well be up to all of us to decide if and how it is defeated.

I mean which would be the better fiction?

I know, I know, in a D&D game, or any RPG, people lie in wait for someone to volunteer to DM. Someone to take command, someone to take the rules and responsibility out of the formula, and thus dive into the character with both gauntlets.

Only know, that I feel the same.

O & O's
Needs & Fantasies

Roleplay Frog

QuoteIn an ancient world, I DMed Moldvay 1981 edition

Damn that is ancient.
Teach us, great sage!

*chuckles* I usually feel like for every big DMed setting I run, Karma owes me some fancy action as player, but usually find my Dming outlasting the campaigns I'm in. Grmrnrm

Cirus

Did you say run or ran? Impressive, most impressive.

I think I can do a sandbox, totally simple run myself.

The Dungeon clouds just thickened, dark and turbulent under a gray sky that invites no friends, and a beam of pure white energy just slammed into me as if I just cut the head off a Kurgan. We can choose a system that is dmless, or even a round robin sort of dming.

My suggestions are so1um , Archipelagoarchipelico, freeformuniversal or even miso rpg. I have always wanted to try out so1um, though it is designed for solo play. So is Miso, but I think we can handle it. If we all sit around the table looking at an oracle I think it can be done. (Boy that just took a LOT of work!)ftp://

Even if I do DM, I think I will use these systems with the spirit of D&D lurking behind every door.   

O & O's
Needs & Fantasies

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Cirus on January 06, 2019, 03:36:29 PM
Even if I do DM, I think I will use these systems with the spirit of D&D lurking behind every door.

I now imagine a ghostly Gygax lurking about snickering when the players fall into a trap.

Cirus

Gygax? You mention the name of dark gods that dwell at the edges of our comprehension.

Ok, who is in?

Downloaded a copy of World of Dungeons and it pretty awesome, from what I can see ideal for group forum play.

Starting it up at...

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=298777.0

O & O's
Needs & Fantasies