News:

Main Menu

Veterans Day

Started by MagicalPen, November 11, 2008, 07:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

At the 11th Hour, of the 11th Day, of the 11th Day, the Armistice that ended World War I, The War to End all Wars, was signed. Thus Veterans Day came to be, though it is used to celebrate the memory of Veterans from every conflict. I hope you can all find the time today to hold a moment of silence in memory of these men and women who have paid the ultimate price for their countries - of every nationality - for their deaths, their sacrifice, is what has shaped this world into what it is today.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Dawg

Also goes by Remembrancer Day in Canada.  And don't forget it is a day to remeber the living Veterans as well as those that paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Happy Veterans and Remembrance Day Everyone - Don't forget to hug a Veteran today.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Lithos

Veteran's day is not until April but will work as early reminder I guess :p

Do not forget them on other days either though.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Dawg

Quote from: Lithos on November 11, 2008, 07:59:58 AM
Veteran's day is not until April but will work as early reminder I guess :p

Do not forget them on other days either though.

Well that's in Finland goof, we are Celebrating Veterans and Remembrance Day here in North America today.  My thread in the Good and Cuddly explains a bit more about it (not much but a bit)
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Caity

I like to take Veteran's day to remember everybody I've lost.  I spent time at my Uncle's and Grandmother's graves today.  :)

Trieste

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 11, 2008, 07:47:13 AM
At the 11th Hour, of the 11th Day, of the 11th Day Month, the Armistice that ended World War I, The War to End all Wars, was signed. Thus Veterans Day came to be, though it is used to celebrate the memory of Veterans from every conflict. I hope you can all find the time today to hold a moment of silence in memory of these men and women who have paid the ultimate price for their countries - of every nationality - for their deaths, their sacrifice, is what has shaped this world into what it is today.

Indeed. I have a ritual of calling the vets I know on Veteran's Day to thank them (although I make a point to call them at other times of the year, too, since that would just be kinda cheap).

The Overlord

I think regardless of our political leanings, we all should be acknowledging those aboard doing their duty. Remember tonight as we sleep soundly in our own beds, they will be marching the mountains of Afghanistan, perhaps settling in for the evening in tents in the Iraqi desert, and holding the line at the Korean DMZ…not to mention doing their thing stationed in a ton of other countries.

That includes a moment of silence for those that did not make it back, from the current wars and from wars of history past.

*shuts up for a while and goes back to Photoshop*

Huntress

mm a friend of mine just finished basic. I'm so proud of him... *sighs*