You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 10:46:01 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Clothing damage RPG system?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline AutocadTopic starter

Clothing damage RPG system?
« on: September 21, 2015, 10:14:41 AM »
Does anyone know of a RPG system that incorporates clothing / armor damage? As in clothes / armor get progressively damaged and eventually destroyed during the course of play, leaving hapless heroes and heroines in the buff. Rather specific, I'm aware.  :P

Offline RedPhoenix

Re: Clothing damage RPG system?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »
I don't know of one that comes with rules for this but it would be really easy to ad. Just give articles of clothing hp and subtract them when the character takes damage.

Online Sain

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »
You can sunder armor and weapons in D&D :P I don't know how much sense it would make to do so rather than deal hp damage from metagame perspective, but maybe your NPCs and PCs just prefer stripping someone to defeating them.

Offline Moraline

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 06:39:52 PM »
In the old Palladium RPG system all of the armor had an AR (Armor rating).  If your attack roll (on a d20) was less then the AR and successful then the damage came off the armor.

For example:

1/2 plate armor would cover approximately 50% of your body. So it might have an AR of 15.

Then the Armor had SDC (structural damage capacity) of say 250. 

So if the attacker rolled a 14 to attack and was successful in the attack then the armour would take the damage.

Attacker rolls 3d6 (they get 12)

Armor loses 12 points of SDC.

However if the attacker had rolled a 16 to attack on the d20 then those 12 points of damage would go to the player's HP (hit points).

I explain all that to show that essentially they start with a base AR of 10 then it goes up based on the amount of the body it covers. So if it's a light piece of armor with just small pads and maybe only covers 20% of the body. Then the AR of the armor would be 12.  Since the plate armor covers half the body it had an AR of 15.  And full plate armor would normally cover about 90% of the body. So it would have an AR of 19.

Now it didn't work exactly like that, because there was exceptions for the different strengths of materials but you could apply something similar to the destruction of clothing.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 07:39:07 AM »
Does anyone know of a RPG system that incorporates clothing / armor damage? As in clothes / armor get progressively damaged and eventually destroyed during the course of play, leaving hapless heroes and heroines in the buff. Rather specific, I'm aware.  :P
Earler versions of Runequest used to have this, by the rules I remember, though I'm not sure how much of it was houseruling.

Offline Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Luna's Arcangel -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
  It's an easy thing to house rule for a lot of systems. 

Anima, Beyond Fantasy has specific rules for making an attack that destroys the targets clothing but leaves them unharmed.  A warriro class would need to be somewhere around level 5+ to do it, though. 

Edit:  Oh, Moralaine mentioend paladium fantasy.  The same people put out a post apocolyptic high thech game with strong fantasy elements called Rifts.  The high tech armor in that game doesn't have Armor Rating, every hit attacks the armor util the armor is gone.  The armor always protects from the last hit, no matter how much damage it did. 

So it's a very good sistem for usind attacks that leave your target unharmed and underdressed. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:05:09 PM by Muse »

Online summoner2183

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 04:03:44 PM »
Sounds like a few anime games like the Queen's blade series though.

Offline CeruleanSerenity

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 05:36:25 PM »
Pathfinder has a feat called Fortified Armor Training, I believe, located in Ultimate Combat, which lets you stop a critical hit by breaking your armor instead... but that's hardly a whole system. I don't know if there's a system out there that's quite what you're looking for, but it does sound like it would be easy to house rule, as others have said.

Offline ExisD

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 12:59:28 AM »
There are rules in GURPS for armor taking damage after absorbing a specific amount based on damage type(1 point of DR lost per 10 points of damage absorbed normally). There's also armor parts and customization armor weight. Unfortunately, by the time most armor would be worn through the wearer would be very dead.

Pathfinder has a feat called Fortified Armor Training, I believe, located in Ultimate Combat, which lets you stop a critical hit by breaking your armor instead... but that's hardly a whole system. I don't know if there's a system out there that's quite what you're looking for, but it does sound like it would be easy to house rule, as others have said.

I've actually made up a basic system for this thanks to that feat. Though it hasn't been play tested.

Armor and clothing have different levels of coverage. For both this is determined by the AC bonus of the item(normal clothing is considered +0). Certain events cause AC damage which lowers the maximum bonus.

When an item has half of its AC bonus removed it gains the broken condition and no longer is considered to be covering any important parts of the person. Any additional instances of AC damage destroy the item. Regular clothing is instantly destroyed if it takes AC damage.

The following events cause AC damage.

• Critical Hits: 1 point of AC damage per crit multiplier on the attack(2 for x2, 3 for x3, etc). The critical hit causes normal damage rather than extra damage.
  • Natural 1's rolled on saving throws: Causes 1 point of AC damage if the spell would deal damage.
  • Failing a physical skill check: 1 point of AC damage per 5 points of failure.
  • Enemy grapple attacks: An enemy can choose to automatically deal 1 point of AC damage as a grapple attack, rather than dealing damage to the person.

By taking 1 minute, any broken armor can be re-adjusted, restoring 1 point of AC damage.

Further repairs require use of the Craft(Armor) skill, the Make Whole spell, or similar effects.

Offline steelsmiter

• Special Constable Wossname Ferret
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: At the Glorious Revolution with the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road
  • you don't need a reason to help people
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
I'm working on a horror RPG where a particular archetype can Sacrifice Clothing up to 3 times per Phase to avoid taking damage, with the clothes either represented by upper body, lower body, and undies, or inner, outer, and undies. It just happens when she says it happens, no need to roll. I also have a rule where anyone can try anyone else's shtick but they need to make a Very Hard roll.