You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 02:00:25 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Riverbend [D&D 5e] - No Longer Taking Applications  (Read 3070 times)

Offline RedPhoenixTopic starter

Re: Riverbend [D&D 5e] - Now Taking Character Applications!
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »
The sisters weren't going to do much more than exist anyway. Underage characters are going to be invisible in any game I do on a site like E.

And there aren't going to be any level draining effects. I'm evil but I'm not that evil.

If you want the parents to stick around, they should be basically level 0 humans who pushed him in a certain direction. I'm fine with that, or I'm fine with them being powerful wizards off in a big city where they don't stick out so much. Anything in between won't really work.

Offline caelcormac

• It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church.
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • I have a deep and abiding love of the comma
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2015, 06:11:50 PM »
Name: Ailwin Harrow
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Monk, Fighter, Ranger
Orientation: Straight
Background: Guild Artisan
Alignment: Lawful Good
Height: 5' 8"
Weight:143

Short Bio: Ailwin is the youngest of seven, with two older brothers and four older sisters, all of whom are half elves like their father. Or it could be said that they are three quarters elves, if there was such a thing, but despite looking like elves to most humans, an elf can see them for what they are with little difficulty, and so to the world they are half-elves.

The family makes its way in Riverbend as capenters, and the shingle for Harrow & Sons stans just in sight of the docks, where Eathean Harrow and his boys stand ready to make any repairs needed on the barges of cargo making their way downriver, as well as fixing or building anything needed on the north side of the river. Eathean and his two older sons have long been an institution in Riverbend, and Ailwin was expected to pick up the family trade as well.

Ailwin was always a restless boy. He never knew his mother, she died when he was three though in the years since nobody will tell him exactly how, and was raised by his sisters. Gilea, The oldest sister and second oldest of her fathers brood did most of the child raising, and even after she married Ailwin and his youngest sister often found themselves in her care. It was from her he learned that if he was smart and capable enough that there was more to life than joining the family business. And it was from her that he was told of his mother, of the songs she used to sing about the history of her race, and of far Avalon where she visited but never called home. And so Ailwin grew dreaming of being anything other than a carpenter. By age 20, he was a carpenter, working for his father and looking for a chance to be anything else. One day he ran into Old Man Li, and knowing the strange hermitís reputation, decided to abandon his work as a carpenter and become one of his students.

On the north side of the Coldstream there lives an old hermit named Li. Or at least, people presume he's old, having lived there for the past 30 years. He's a half-elf, and thanks to his elven blood and what he calls "clean living" he barely appears to have aged at all. Not much is known about him, other than that he is some kind of warrior (he has come to the aid of both sides of Riverbend on many occasions), he has some tie to the worshippers of Verite (He always visits the temple on his trips in to town), and that if you're brave enough to find him and stubborn enough to convince him he will teach you to fight. Li has only taught a small handful of Riverbend's bravest and most stubborn over the years. Many leave the village to seek out something or another, returning rarely or not at all. The rest go back to their old lives, becoming members of the community and living calm, ordinary lives except for when circumstances dictate that they use the skills taught to them by the old man.

When Ailwin left home to join him, he was subjected to the same hazing that Li makes all of his students endure, and when he managed to stick it out for several days Ailwin was welcome to stay and begin his training. Eventually his father found out where he had gone and he and his brotherís marched to where Li trained his students with weapons in hand. Ailwin was ordered to go inside and couldnít quite hear the heated conversation between Li and his father, one where he was surprised to hear his motherís name come up. In the end his father left in peace. That was five years ago.

Now Ailwin has come to a turning point in his training. Li has insisted that he must choose his path, to become a warrior or to return to life as a normal citizen. He has not been given an exact deadline, but he knows it will be soon, and Ailwin isnít sure which side he will choose. But at night, he remembers the stories of his sisters, and longs to hear the songs of far Avalon.

Personality:
Once a feckless dreamer of a boy, the years under Liís tutelage have turned Ailwin into a disciplined and serious young man. He has taken to living by Liís code of just and proper behavior to a fault, and in most circumstances it makes him polite and soft spoken to everyone he meets. Of course, Liís code is a warrior ethos, and if presented with danger he will be the first to jump in in order to defend those weaker than himself.

Offline Hexed

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2015, 06:19:02 PM »
True on both accounts.

I'd not really thought about the site and that part of things. Younger sisters just came to mind because I'm planning what kinds of "trouble" I can cause a friend of mine in a game he talked me into DM'ing with his character's sister.

That said it would probably be better to make him an only child and have his parents off in Sanctuary as that did seem to give you some good ideas for tying NPC's down, Unless I miss understood a couple of your comments. :)   

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2015, 07:54:24 PM »
Well I still like Ruby, even better with this more focused bio. She has solid motivations to adventure and great reasons she can't go back home again, and yeah, to me it just works pretty well. Juniper I'm less thrilled about. She just seems sort of ...generic? I get much less sense of why she'd be adventuring in the first place or what her goals are. Honestly though I wouldn't worry too much about it. I like Ruby better anyway. :) Maybe I just like dwarves!

Yeah, hard to give specifics on her without a class / background settled. Though really, rangers and druids are pretty much adventurers by default.  :-) I do have a bio outline for each option, I just sorta.. .didn't wanna do all that damn typing just before bed.

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2015, 08:03:45 PM »
New background post up about seas and such: The Life Aquatic

Also added the ocean goddess to the religion post!

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:11 PM »
That said it would probably be better to make him an only child and have his parents off in Sanctuary as that did seem to give you some good ideas for tying NPC's down, Unless I miss understood a couple of your comments. :)

No it's fine with me either way, and I do have a lot to work with if they are veterans of the Fall of the Empire, I just can't have high levels in the PCs backyard. And agreed on the single child aspect.

Yeah, hard to give specifics on her without a class / background settled. Though really, rangers and druids are pretty much adventurers by default.  :-) I do have a bio outline for each option, I just sorta.. .didn't wanna do all that damn typing just before bed.

lol gotcha.

(Ailwin)

Pretty solid and straightforward overall! Just a few questions
  • So he has six brothers and sisters, other than what you noted specifically any significance to any of the other siblings?
  • Who is Gilea married to? Is she still around?
  • What's mom's name?
  • What side of the river is the shop on? Is dad involved in the local politics at all?
  • I like Old Man Li. You understand that anything you don't specify about him you are leaving up to me, yes (including specifics as to why your character's mother is coming up in a conversation with his father)? With that in mind is anything else you want to specify?
  • I like the warrior code. Any specifics of it that you'd like to nail down, or just leave it up to learn from Li as he goes?

Offline JsHLDantes

• ~ acolyte of Aphrodite ~
  • Lady
  • Bacchae
  • ďThe very essence of romance is uncertainty.Ē
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2015, 10:45:25 PM »
There sure are! They are as you might say a big deal to the pirate cities and traders who cross the ocean. In addition to controlling magic, such folks are also usually fluent enough in Catalinian to speak with the merfolk and get their help or at least avoid their taxes when crossing the southern sea.

Hmm. I would vastly prefer if Iliana was born in Silea. An elven woman getting seduced and then leaving the kid behind when she realizes she's been played, and then the kid getting dumped by dad at the next port, makes a lot more sense than the kid somehow making it from Avalon to Riverbend. Her upbringing in Avalon, especially a noble child, would probably be nicer than she'd get most anywhere else in the world and she'd have very little reason to leave, especially if she loved forests, the old mist-shrouded millenia-old forests in Avalon would be the coolest place in the world to her.

I like #1, I like it a lot. The god of the Sea is a big missing spot from the list of deities and while I don't know Umberlee enough to rip her off completely like I did with a lot of the other gods, I think something very close to her could definitely be a thing. I read some of her last night and I like what I see....vengeful goddess who hangs out with megaladons and has a wizard kraken for her champion? Hells yeah!

Actually the whole info on the seas and such is something I should fill in. I will try to get that done tonight.

Speaking with merfolk *sigh* shiny! :)

As for Iliana being born in Silea.. if thats the case then her scoundrel father paid to keep her in a nice home, with nanny and governess until she was approached by older girls who somehow had learned of her parentage and taunted and tortured her, eventually driving her out of the nice home, filled with guilt and hate regarding her birth and taking off. -OR-
Now if her high elf mother had her in Avalon, she could have been there until 4-5 (it would be nice if one of her parents cared for her) and then the council in Avalon would have demanded a half breed leave the area, and then was given to her scoundrel father who tried to show her a decent life on shipboard, and THAT would have been when she learned about Umberlee and weather witches, as well as seeing how much a rake her father was...and eventually disgusting her enough to leave his ship and take to shore where she eventually met up with the sage she is with today. 

I am quite happy you want to include an incarnation of Umberlee.  The Bitch Queen.

Offline caelcormac

• It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church.
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • I have a deep and abiding love of the comma
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2015, 10:52:53 PM »
Answer Time!

So he has six brothers and sisters, other than what you noted specifically any significance to any of the other siblings?
Who is Gilea married to? Is she still around?

Let's do all the siblings in order of age.

Gildor: Eldest son, 45. Has a wife and children of his own. He runs the day to day business of Harrow & Sons, leaving his father to focus on other interests. Unlike his father who likes to "keep his hand in" Gildor hardly ever does any actual carpentry these days and has started making contacts out of town for various business interests.

Gilea: Oldest Daughter, 42. She is married to a blacksmith. She has been married long enough that her oldest children are nearly grown.

Tirnel: Second Son, 40. Splits his time between working for his father as a carpenter and traveling out of town as a representative of his brother.

Elphil: Second sister, 37. Still in town. Married to a prominent son of Riverbend.

Filegil: Third Sister, 33. Married across the river, but keeps close in touch.

Mylil: Fourth sister, 28. Skipped out on her engagement dinner after deciding that the nice but wealthy man her father had set her up to marry was a bore. She left the same year Ailwin did and their father blames him for giving her the idea. Sends the occasional letter to Gilea recounting her adventure.

What's mom's name? Arradis Harrow. Only her husband knows what her maiden name was, at least in Riverbend.

What side of the river is the shop on? The northern side, but Eathean will do business on either side.

Is dad involved in the local politics at all?
Eathean Harrow has heard of minding his own business and thinks that it's a wonderful thing for other people to be doing. He has arranged every single marriage in his family to be either financially or politically advantageous to himself. He is a strong ally of Silea, though not necessarily the current mayor, and supports a united Riverbend under Silea rule.

I like Old Man Li. You understand that anything you don't specify about him you are leaving up to me, yes (including specifics as to why your character's mother is coming up in a conversation with his father)? With that in mind is anything else you want to specify?

Mentioning Ailwin's mother was meant to be a big, shiny plot hook to hang things on. I figure at least some of the specifics of who Master Li is depend on what class I end up as.

I like the warrior code. Any specifics of it that you'd like to nail down, or just leave it up to learn from Li as he goes?

I'd like the chance to nail down some of the basics down once I have a definite class. I imagine a Rangers code to differ from a Monks quite a bit, for example.

Offline greenknight

• Lord
  • Enchanted
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2015, 12:02:35 AM »
Lots of placeholders here. I'm  not even attached to the name. Basically, I see a cavalry auxiliary to the legion, in the same sense as the Roman Legions.

Name: "Jeogh"
Race: Human
Class: fighter, ranger, bard (lore of valor)
Orientation: straight
Background: noble or soldier
Alignment: NG
Height: average
Weight: stout

Short Bio: Born the third son (bastard) of (one of) the local noble/aristocrat, "Jeogh" did what was expected, his public things. He served as an officer of the cavalry auxiliary of the Last Legion (as the Hyena call themselves). His initial commitment to his people complete, Jeogh (with no forthcoming inheritance or title to speak of) is at a crossroads. Continue with the legions or carve a name for himself, expand the realm, and claim his own title in blood. (working through a lot of details to ground the character in the world. Red has avision, it'd be a shame to waste it.)

Accomplishments of note thus far: bare knuckle champion of the legion (tavern brawler feat as his variant human ability) and an accomplished horseman and fencer (proficiency with animal handling and longsword).

Personality:  Jeogh has confidence and daring (some might say outright audacity) earned from his formative years spent on campaign in the saddle. His life before introduced him to the good things in life and he's not fond of leaving them behind. Jeogh recognizes where his life is and is a bit uncertain of the choices he should make going forward. Lacking a choice in the next adventure may be good for him.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:13:13 AM by greenknight »

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2015, 02:21:13 AM »
Speaking with merfolk *sigh* shiny! :)

Yup! :)

As for Iliana being born in Silea.. if thats the case then her scoundrel father paid to keep her in a nice home, with nanny and governess until she was approached by older girls who somehow had learned of her parentage and taunted and tortured her, eventually driving her out of the nice home, filled with guilt and hate regarding her birth and taking off. -OR-
Now if her high elf mother had her in Avalon, she could have been there until 4-5 (it would be nice if one of her parents cared for her) and then the council in Avalon would have demanded a half breed leave the area, and then was given to her scoundrel father who tried to show her a decent life on shipboard, and THAT would have been when she learned about Umberlee and weather witches, as well as seeing how much a rake her father was...and eventually disgusting her enough to leave his ship and take to shore where she eventually met up with the sage she is with today. 

Hmmm. Let's compromise. What if mom and dad shacked up together in Silea for those early years Mom's noble Avalonian blood and dad's dashingness and fortune make them popular and influential until she was...whatever age you want her to have been when this happens - daddy's cover gets blown and his history as a thief and pirate and philanderer comes out, big scandal, mom is embarrassed and turns her back on the whole situation and heads home for Avalon, her youthful indiscretions satisfied for now, dad gets run out of town by an angry mob, young Iliana escapes with her daddy but bails on his pirating and repeated, repeated disloyalty to her mother after however long you like when he docks in the port down the Coldstream from Riverbend, and eventually makes her way through the relatively safe territory up the river and ends up with the old lady there? I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being incredibly picky about this, I just um, you know, I'm like that I guess. If it makes it any better the PCs will have lots of opportunities to totally shake things up after the game starts. xD

The high elves aren't racist enough to run off half-breeds. They might treat her as clumsy and sigh with distress at how young her precious little life would end and be otherwise patronizing, but pretty much all of the elf supremacists fled underground with the dark ones, so she wouldn't be thrown out for being a halfbreed. Elves and humans have been interbreeding for over five millenniums now, it's hardly a big deal to them anymore.

I am quite happy you want to include an incarnation of Umberlee.  The Bitch Queen.

I added her to the religion section. She's sort of a multi-faceted god who takes different forms among different worshipers, but the Umberlee is definitely in there.

Answer Time!

Interesting. So he's got a lot of bodies for when Riverbend burns big loving stable family who are all influential in material things, and here he is taking the path of the esoteric warrior. Nice contrast. :)

I like Old Man Li. You understand that anything you don't specify about him you are leaving up to me, yes (including specifics as to why your character's mother is coming up in a conversation with his father)? With that in mind is anything else you want to specify?

Mentioning Ailwin's mother was meant to be a big, shiny plot hook to hang things on. I figure at least some of the specifics of who Master Li is depend on what class I end up as.

Cool. I'm all over it. :D

I like the warrior code. Any specifics of it that you'd like to nail down, or just leave it up to learn from Li as he goes?

I'd like the chance to nail down some of the basics down once I have a definite class. I imagine a Rangers code to differ from a Monks quite a bit, for example.

Perfectly understandable!

Lots of placeholders here.

I know it's not finished but you might wanna read over the thread some, a lot of the issues I would have with this have been addressed previously - hyena legion is an elite force that no 1st level adventurer would be on, there aren't any nobles in Riverbend except the mayor of the north city, 1st level characters shouldn't have too many significant accomplishments or be widely traveled, etc.

Also, anyone who is making changes as we talk, be sure to edit your application post with the changes before Saturday, I will want to be looking over as "Final" drafts as possible at that time!

Offline Wolfling72

• Crushie, Syr, Cuddle Slut, Cinna-god/dess, a Hawt Mess, Flirt, Wifey, Tease.
  • On Hiatus
  • Addict
  • Location: Running on glitter and sheer awesome. Fashionably late, as always.
  • E's ONLY CinnaBoi #JediHandWave
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »
slips in and molests the thread Red, I will be back by tomorrow night with something ONCE I finish reading over what you have and what you may need....

runs away again.

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2015, 10:38:16 PM »
I'm interested but Hesitant....not really sure if this is still open or what's needed or been taken. @_@

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2015, 11:33:41 PM »
slips in and molests the thread Red, I will be back by tomorrow night with something ONCE I finish reading over what you have and what you may need....

runs away again.

Cool looking forward to it. :)

I'm interested but Hesitant....not really sure if this is still open or what's needed or been taken. @_@

First post is accurate and up to date!

Online Dhi

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2015, 04:51:03 AM »
Name: Spooky
Race: Half-orc
Class: Bard, or Warlock, or Paladin of Graz
Orientation: Lesbian
Background: Outlander
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 208 lbs

Short Bio:
Spooky is a Turgon-born half-orc who came to Riverbend seeking mercenary work in the name of Graz but discovered an audience for her songs instead. She is in many ways torn between two worlds, and clashing with her dual heritage as she tries to find a place in civilized society and abide the violence of the god she still holds close to her heart.
The longer version
There is a story among the descendants of Wolf Legion about the first men to live among the orcs, and how the favor of Graz was won by he who arose stronger, fiercer than the warchief's best orc. The lesson is a seductive one to halfbloods torn between human compassion and orcish hot blood, who stand to win nothing except by changing the rules of the game. There is another story, too, about crawfish in a bucket, and how none will let another climb to freedom- but that story is not well known to those residing in the bucket. Spooky's most bitter rivals counted among those with whom she could truly commiserate.

The tenets of Graz speak to the animal in all men, the blessed gift of civilization and the debt in blood which must be won or surrendered in tribute. She with the greatest tribute is most favored, regardless of her heritage. Before Spooky could heft a sword, her brothers were seasoned mercenaries in the service of Turgon warlords and the Wolf Legion. When fracturing alliances between warlords turned brother against brother, Spooky saw no future for herself as their rival. She fled south.

Spooky came to Riverbend with intention of throwing in with the local militia, and becoming a sellsword like her brothers, far from the politics of rival warlords. Machiavellian Riverbend, however, seemed much the same, and unwilling to turn her back on the worship of Graz, it was mutually decided that Spooky and the militia did not belong together. Unable to meet either her trials as an orc or her duties as a woman of the Empire, Spooky drowned her sorrows in drink and expressed her pain through song.

It came wholly unexpected that her deep, soulful sound, born of tribulation and throaty dirges to the Blood God, would find a burgeoning audience in Riverbend. A new kind of music was made, all ichorous poetry and mournful vocalizations. Where the minstrels were strumming lutes and regurgitating lymeric, Spooky brought the blues.

Missives have begun to arrive from home, reminding her of who she truly is, and who she serves. To recount her deeds come judgement day before a firelit tribunal of the orc gods, in the name of her family, Spooky must be able to say that her debt to Graz is repaid. She feels the doors to paradise closing on her; if she does not vanquish foes while she's still young and able, there will be no place for her either in this world or the next. Currently, Spooky stands on the precipice of this crisis of identity.

Personality: 
True to her name, Spooky is on the surface a macabre, superstitious woman who surrounds herself with morbid tastes to insulate herself from Riverbend culture which seems sinister and unwelcoming. Were it not for a heart of gold, she might rival her brothers, remaining in the north and carving a bloody name for herself. Instead the expectations before her seem hopeless, and she is prone to bouts of depression and drink, driven by an almost self-destructive urge to serve the Blood God in battle against evil or to die young in Graz's natural order.

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »
(Spooky)

Hi! Welcome! Okay feedbacks (sort of rushed as I'm heading out the door to work, apologies if I didn't "get" the character)
  • I think this is a very fitting character for the setting. However I'm wondering about her ability to function as part of an adventuring party. When the game begins the party will have been friends for some time. Would she be able to make friends with (so far) non-graz worshiping folks?
  • On that note, would she be able to be active and involved in campaigns if the party chooses to go the diplomatic or social route to solve problems? (I'm envisioning wanting to make this at least an option on some adventures)
  • Being rejected from the militia is very fitting, neither side would take a Graz worshiper (as the goal of the militias is to keep peace and avoid spilling blood if necessary)
  • If she wants to work as a mercenary, she went the wrong direction! There would be plenty of mercenary work pretty much anywhere else she went from Turgon lands. Was she really looking to be a mercenary or was that just what she told herself as her more civilized nature compelled her towards where she wouldn't be constantly spilling blood?
  • It may be possible to maintain the respect for Graz and struggle to live up to his standards...but it is also possible she may be faced with rejecting the god at some point in the future and coming to terms with the fact that all she does is making the world less bloody. Would she be able to handle that? Would a change in worship be something that might happen in the future for her?
  • If she ends up as a warlock, what sort of pact were you thinking of? A blood demon? Making her quite literally gifted with the strength of a devil but still fighting with her nature?

Overall it definitely fits the campaign setting really well. And if she's willing to struggle with her nature and play nice with the other adventurers I think it could work really well.

Online Dhi

« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
Hello! I just discovered the thread yesterday and spent most of that time reading up on the setting, so apologies if I dropped the character on you without warning.

I think this is a very fitting character for the setting. However I'm wondering about her ability to function as part of an adventuring party. When the game begins the party will have been friends for some time. Would she be able to make friends with (so far) non-graz worshiping folks?
Yes, I see Spooky as foremost the tortured artist and a representation of reservation culture or survivor's guilt. I don't believe worship of Graz hinders her ability to socialize and get by in society. You mentioned that orcs are not bestial in this setting, so I'm viewing worship of Graz as a grim but sensible religion. Perhaps the state of modern man, living apart from nature in cities outside of the food chain, is an abomination. Maybe a toll of blood to remind orcs of who they truly are is a rational thing. And maybe the efforts of the people of Riverbend to prolong their lives to slowly waste away in a bed are borne out of fear, as maybe all death is agony and a quick, violent end is merciful by comparison. Spooky can believe these things and analyze them next to a society like Riverbend without going berserk and stabbing everyone in sight.

On that note, would she be able to be active and involved in campaigns if the party chooses to go the diplomatic or social route to solve problems? (I'm envisioning wanting to make this at least an option on some adventures)
Absolutely, exploring the character's place in society is what I'm most interested in. I see her ties with Graz as dovetailing with her struggle as a half-orc to preserve her cultural identity, and also giving her a reason to go on adventures and kill bad guys that feels more compelling than the usual motivations. Reading about Graz was what made me want to play a half-orc specifically.

If she wants to work as a mercenary, she went the wrong direction! There would be plenty of mercenary work pretty much anywhere else she went from Turgon lands. Was she really looking to be a mercenary or was that just what she told herself as her more civilized nature compelled her towards where she wouldn't be constantly spilling blood?
I left it open as to where Spooky's brothers ended up, so perhaps there was only one direction left for her to travel. The idea that she's only justifying the journey to herself is great, though, I like it a lot. It goes well with her overall struggle to find a place for herself.

It may be possible to maintain the respect for Graz and struggle to live up to his standards...but it is also possible she may be faced with rejecting the god at some point in the future and coming to terms with the fact that all she does is making the world less bloody. Would she be able to handle that? Would a change in worship be something that might happen in the future for her?
That is fine, I see her worship of Graz as a storytelling tool. Her entire character doesn't hang on her being faithful to Graz from beginning to end, maybe it would be interesting to face a crisis of faith.

There's a webcomic called Skadi that follows the story of a viking girl who aspires to be worthy of Thor. The boy's club of the priesthood puts her on a hopeless quest to consume the meat of every beast in the land, and the story follows her adventures as she crosses off all manner of monsters from an enormous list. It's near the end of the story now, and Skadi has met her god and decided he's kind of a scumbag. But, Skadi is not the type to give up, so she finishes her quest, for herself, and for those who believed in her, so that she can set things right. A twist like that would be welcome.

If she ends up as a warlock, what sort of pact were you thinking of? A blood demon? Making her quite literally gifted with the strength of a devil but still fighting with her nature?
Since you've introduced a new cosmology I think I'm going to need your help deciding what kind of entity a warlock patron might be. A fiend would be the best fit mechanically, since Spooky is intended to be on the front lines. What is a blood demon and how does Graz feel about them?

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2015, 07:01:25 PM »
Hello! I just discovered the thread yesterday and spent most of that time reading up on the setting, so apologies if I dropped the character on you without warning.

How else would they come? :P One of the reasons I wanted to have it up for two weeks was so that people who don't check every day have a chance to get their ideas in, so yay it worked!

Yes, I see Spooky as foremost the tortured artist and a representation of reservation culture or survivor's guilt. I don't believe worship of Graz hinders her ability to socialize and get by in society. You mentioned that orcs are not bestial in this setting, so I'm viewing worship of Graz as a grim but sensible religion. Perhaps the state of modern man, living apart from nature in cities outside of the food chain, is an abomination. Maybe a toll of blood to remind orcs of who they truly are is a rational thing. And maybe the efforts of the people of Riverbend to prolong their lives to slowly waste away in a bed are borne out of fear, as maybe all death is agony and a quick, violent end is merciful by comparison. Spooky can believe these things and analyze them next to a society like Riverbend without going berserk and stabbing everyone in sight.

Well I guess it depends on how you define "sensible." "The blood god will reward me in the next world for this and even moreso if I die in the process so I'm going to butcher everyone until someone stops me, goodbye shitty existence!" is sensible from a certain perspective (and why people get all antsy when Graz comes up, although certainly most of his worshipers don't go that far). But I get what you're saying! :)

Absolutely, exploring the character's place in society is what I'm most interested in. I see her ties with Graz as dovetailing with her struggle as a half-orc to preserve her cultural identity, and also giving her a reason to go on adventures and kill bad guys that feels more compelling than the usual motivations. Reading about Graz was what made me want to play a half-orc specifically.

]I left it open as to where Spooky's brothers ended up, so perhaps there was only one direction left for her to travel. The idea that she's only justifying the journey to herself is great, though, I like it a lot. It goes well with her overall struggle to find a place for herself.

]That is fine, I see her worship of Graz as a storytelling tool. Her entire character doesn't hang on her being faithful to Graz from beginning to end, maybe it would be interesting to face a crisis of faith.

Cool cool all good here!

There's a webcomic called Skadi that follows the story of a viking girl who aspires to be worthy of Thor. The boy's club of the priesthood puts her on a hopeless quest to consume the meat of every beast in the land, and the story follows her adventures as she crosses off all manner of monsters from an enormous list. It's near the end of the story now, and Skadi has met her god and decided he's kind of a scumbag. But, Skadi is not the type to give up, so she finishes her quest, for herself, and for those who believed in her, so that she can set things right. A twist like that would be welcome.

Ah, excellent, this gives a really good insight into her personality and goals, so thanks!

Since you've introduced a new cosmology I think I'm going to need your help deciding what kind of entity a warlock patron might be. A fiend would be the best fit mechanically, since Spooky is intended to be on the front lines. What is a blood demon and how does Graz feel about them?

Blood demons are Graz's demons. They are to him as angels are to Omet. Graz is a (hopefully) slightly less one dimensional version of Khorne from Warhammer if that gives you anything to go by. They came in all shapes and sizes, obviously if she had one for a patron it would be one of the bigger ones.

In a larger cosmological sense, planar beings are all believed (pretty much universally) to be mortals who have gone into the afterlife and gained enough power that they can return to the mortal world. Demons, angels, certain other cosmic beings, etc. The actual nature of cosmology is not something that this world really understand all that well outside of a few obscure philosophers or planar explorers and none of the starting characters would have any certain knowledge of what the Far Realms (i.e. any place other than this dimension or the Astral Sea) are like.

Also - Two (and a half) more days to submit/refine characters everyone! :)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2015, 09:21:11 PM »
...getting distracted by sudden longer hours at work.  I'll get something to you before Sunday...

Offline JsHLDantes

• ~ acolyte of Aphrodite ~
  • Lady
  • Bacchae
  • ďThe very essence of romance is uncertainty.Ē
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »
Hmmm. Let's compromise. What if mom and dad shacked up together in Silea for those early years Mom's noble Avalonian blood and dad's dashingness and fortune make them popular and influential until she was...whatever age you want her to have been when this happens - daddy's cover gets blown and his history as a thief and pirate and philanderer comes out, big scandal, mom is embarrassed and turns her back on the whole situation and heads home for Avalon, her youthful indiscretions satisfied for now, dad gets run out of town by an angry mob, young Iliana escapes with her daddy but bails on his pirating and repeated, repeated disloyalty to her mother after however long you like when he docks in the port down the Coldstream from Riverbend, and eventually makes her way through the relatively safe territory up the river and ends up with the old lady there? I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being incredibly picky about this, I just um, you know, I'm like that I guess. If it makes it any better the PCs will have lots of opportunities to totally shake things up after the game starts. xD

Sounds good to me! ;)  I will hang out to see what happens..

Online Dhi

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2015, 07:11:55 AM »
Khorne is the "blood for the blood god" guy, I'm guessing? That's literally all I know.

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »
...getting distracted by sudden longer hours at work.  I'll get something to you before Sunday...

Tick tock tick tock!

Sounds good to me! ;)  I will hang out to see what happens..

:D

Khorne is the "blood for the blood god" guy, I'm guessing? That's literally all I know.

Yup! But no worries.

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »
I noticed a couple people had secondary concepts and wanted to ask if that's welcome or not.  I could try to set up a sorc or wizard if it would help, since Lynnara wouldn't really work well for any class concept besides rogue.

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2015, 04:05:38 PM »
Alright, since I'm getting my Dwarf Fix elsewhere, I'm gonna be focusing on Juniper. So, that gives me something to do today - expand that thing a bit!

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2015, 04:27:09 PM »
I noticed a couple people had secondary concepts and wanted to ask if that's welcome or not.  I could try to set up a sorc or wizard if it would help, since Lynnara wouldn't really work well for any class concept besides rogue.

Anyone is free to submit as much as they want!

Alright, since I'm getting my Dwarf Fix elsewhere, I'm gonna be focusing on Juniper. So, that gives me something to do today - expand that thing a bit!

Does this mean you don't want to play Ruby anymore?

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2015, 04:33:40 PM »
Yeah, like I said, I'm getting my Dwarf Dose  ;D And I'm just not "feeling" Ruby as a Fighter.

Maybe I'm too used to 3.5 / Pathfinder and their "class for every occasion" setup?