You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 06:48:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Riverbend [D&D 5e] - No Longer Taking Applications  (Read 3065 times)

Online Chulanowa

Re: Riverbend [D&D 5e] - Now Taking Character Applications!
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2015, 01:08:11 AM »
Hmmm. I could have seen her as a bar brawling fighter type, but if you aren't feeling that it's up to you. :)

Hmmm. Could. Still, something to mull over.

Offline TheScarletBlade

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2015, 01:46:43 AM »
is this game still looking for players? New to 5e but I own all the books and would be willing to make a character.

Offline RedPhoenixTopic starter

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2015, 01:53:41 AM »
The first post is accurate and up to date. :)

Offline PhantomPistoleer

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2015, 11:12:24 AM »
Just a few things, mostly fleshing out.
  • It sounds like this would be a village to the west of Riverbend, maybe the next village over, given that it has an elven mayor.
  • So if that's the case, there is no King...did you mean a former Emperor, or someone from the Silean Council who claims to be the king of the area?
  • Do you want him to have worked as a tomb robber type or is that just predicting what might come in the future?
  • What's stopping him from going home and marrying his love? Who is he or she?
  • Anything you want to establish about his family?

The village is nothing more than an outlying hamlet, really, nestled at the base of a great mountain.  Once, long ago, this mountain served as a redoubt for Ometian witch hunters, but it was sacked by a hobgoblin war party.  DeWitt's father is not an elected official, but is more like the hamlet's elder.  He served under the Hyena Legion's banner, but has now settled down to a provincial life.  It has taken him a long time to adjust to the transition between civilization and life in the hamlet.  Mining is deadly work, but it beats being out there.

The hamlet's residents venerated the former emperor and many still keep secret shrines in his name.  They celebrate his birth and transcendence to the realm of the undead with silent vigils, too.  During his life, the emperor showed his appreciation for the hamlet's elite underground-fighting squadron, the Tunnel Rats, by eulogizing their dead and erecting a monument in their name once the survivors returned home from an unspecified conflict.

DeWitt is noble and selfless, so he has never spelunked with the intent to rob corpses.  However, he often braved the darkness below as a function of his occupation and as a diversion of youth.  Indeed, the great mountain has many deep holes, and DeWitt has adventured into many because he is curious and adventurous.

In this hamlet, there lives a man named Maurice.  Long ago, Maurice proved to be an ingenious man and was accordingly promoted to the position of supervisor of mining operations within the hamlet.  Though DeWitt's father is the figurehead, Maurice is the real person in charge because he controls the wages.  He is reviled for his thrift because he has not an ounce of charity in his heart.

DeWitt has loved Maurice's daughter, Adasia, for a very long time.  Adasia is remarkably beautiful, but she is tempestuous, greedy, and shallow.  Still, DeWitt pines for her.  Though DeWitt constantly thinks of Adasia, DeWitt is not even on Adasia's radar.  DeWitt and Adasia have never really talked, but she has used DeWitt to her enjoyment.

DeWitt's two older brothers perished long before DeWitt was born.  However, their ghosts still haunt the halls of his father's house.  Further, DeWitt is very handsome, and this hasn't gone unnoticed by DeWitt's sisters or his step-mother.  Aside from that, most of his siblings are miners, but his brother, Shilo, is a prison guard.

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
Okay, honestly I am not feeling a lot of the background there. With the incestuous family, haunted manor, black lung, and secret shrines and such it comes across more High Gothic than High Adventure and a lot of it contradicts the campaign setting info. A city fanatically in service of an Emperor that says there is one god but then decides he's also a god? A secret cult started right in the middle of a pack of witch hunters? The last emperor vanished when the city was overrun by demons, he did not become undead (or if he did nobody knows it). The unrequited love who has no redeeming traits besides being pretty...I mean he's going to meet pretty girls in his travels, probably many prettier than her so that isn't really going to go too far I don't think. Also if this village is so far east that it's being attacked by hobgoblins it's too far east for the emperor to realistically protect and that would give even less reason for them to worship him.

I would maybe take a while and think it all over and take another stab at it. There's just too much that contradicts the setting and the sort of morose tone to the whole thing really isn't all that fitting for the campaign setting.

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2015, 04:31:14 PM »
Name: Lynnara
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Rogue
Orientation: Bicurious, but mostly only interested in elves
Background: Urchin
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 120

Short Bio:

Lynnara was barely old enough to remember when her parents escaped the Frozen Forest.  They ended up on the North Riverbend, where in a scant few years they became addicted to the luxury of the lavish kindness of their new home and ended up copperless at the Temple of Malala.  Sometimes, if Lynnara closes her eyes and concentrates enough, she can almost remember her parents' faces.

At some point, not quite old enough to understand what it meant, she ended up on the street.  Older children took pity on her, teaching her the simple philosophy that could be the difference between food and starvation: beg for what you'll be given, steal what you won't.

It's a difficult life where even the children are forced to come to hard truths, maturing well before any child some have to come to terms with the death of close friends.  Lynnara has never lived with the delusion that bad things could not happen to good people, instead understanding that she'd have to do everything in her meek power to save others.

Personality:

Lynnara has an unwavering sense of loyalty to those with whom she has a strong affiliation, a conscience towards those who are poor and suffering, but contempt for those who derive their ill-gotten gains off of the backs of others.

Offline Hexed

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »
Name:Louis Tal Eludace
Race:Human
Class:Fighter
Orientation:Straight
Background:Sage
Alignment:Neutral Good
Height:6' 5"
Weight:250 lbs

Short Bio: Louis was born to a pair of wizards in North Riverbend. While a childhood surrounded by books and scrolls had given the boy an appreciation for knowledge he had always been enamored with things that were different, a fascination that his parents blamed somewhat jokingly upon a bardic friend of the family. At his sixth birthday another family friend, a retired soldier had given the boy a wooden hammer as "All boys should know how to fight even if they twist the world with words". Despite being human he and his family offer more prayers to Verite of the elven faith then they do to Omet.

Once he was of age his parents enrolled him in the town's wizard academy where despite being a fairly smart and knowing child his grades were only average as he'd often sneak out or skip. His time outside of the books was spent either running through the twinned city having "adventures" with a few children he knew or sneaking into South Riverbend to bug soldiers about different fighting tactics. His fascination with combat and adventure often disturbs or worries his parents but they do hope that he'll work it out of his system and settle down eventually and take a shine to assisting his mother at her alchemy shop.

Personality:  Boisterous and booming at times and yet able to somewhat pull up the proper and sedate manners needed for dealing with high ranking people. While not caring much for rules, as history has pointed out something of a flaw in massive kingdoms and other institutes he does firmly believe that if you have strength you should protect those that don't. That said he was trained by soldiers and he can be quite vicious when fighting.

Yeah... that's not a hammer. And he doesn't have those symbols upon him but for some reason knights with hammers finds the oddest pictures that don't even have knights or hammers in them. :D
Let me know if there's anything else needed and if he's to unusable or unneeded I have been pondering a female gnome fey-pact warlock.

Offline Styracosaur

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2015, 06:48:59 PM »
Hello!  I'd like to throw my hat in the ring!

I'm open to tweaking or adjustment as needed, or possibly even a fairly thorough rewrite.  : )

Name: Geran Wolfclaw
Race: Half-Orc (Dosmen/Turgon)
Class:  Barbarian, or Fighter, or Paladin
Orientation: Heterosexual
Background: Outlander (Barb); could also go with Gladiator-variant Entertainer, Folk Hero, or Hermit under the right circumstances
Alignment: CG
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 231 lbs

Short Bio:

The northern reaches of the collapsing Empire are a wild patchwork of nominal Wolf Legion outposts and orcish warlords who struggle to maintain control over anything more than a day or two's travel away.  With the addition of raids from Grunheim and the drive to spill blood in the name of Graz, the normal battles for territory escalate into desperate battles for survival, tinged with religious fervor.  In every battle, there is at least one loser (if not two, as the victor is in turn preyed upon) - so for every warrior with a tent full of booty and a train of captured servants, there are two or three refugees fleeing the incessant violence.

Geran Wolfclaw is the child of such refugees. 

Allied to the Wolf Legion, their tribe was attacked by their wilder kin, seeking to spill the blood of the Empire's lackeys in the name of Graz (no matter that those lackeys also worshipped Graz).  Taken by surprise and facing annihilation, Geran's father fled the battle with several pregnant women (including his own wife) and younger children.  They traveled through the wilderness for long months, seeing the loss of several of their number to the wilds, although his own son was born safely.  Once they reached Riverbend, he left his belongings with his erstwhile refugee family, went out into the wilderness, and killed himself, attempting to purge the shame of his cowardice with one last offering to Graz.

Amidst this mishmash of families, Geran grew, all of them living in one sizeable farmhouse on the outskirts of the farm belt around North Riverbend.  While Mayor Alfana welcomed them, they were still reluctant to mix with the other townsfolk, and vice-versa.  The older children and younger wives taught them all the ways of the woods, bringing in game and hides and herbs to trade with the townsfolk.  They also were taught the stories of the Turgon tribes, and more than a few of them began the journey back to the north, to try to win a place back with one of those groups.  Geran stayed, though, rejecting the god of his people and their bloodthirsty ways, the ways which had driven his family from their home and claimed his father.  The ways of Malala, of the Reaper, of Thaliya, those he blended in his own way.  As most of the refugees either found new mates or left to go north, the 'family' home gradually emptied, their lands given or sold away, growing enough food to mostly sustain the few remaining residents, while Geran and a few others made their trips into the woods to hunt and forage.

But still . . . even though he had no desire to go back to the north, he wondered if life in an oversized farmhouse on the outskirts of a small town was really all that there was to be to his life.

Personality: 

Although trained as an orcish fighter (with some modifications for the use of a greatsword, rather than the greataxe of the Turgon), Geran is surprisingly gentle and well-mannered for a half-orc.  That last qualifier is important, as his laughter is loud and rough, his embraces fierce, and he views a quick wrestling match as a good way to resolve a conflict.  However, such behavior is generally reserved for his family or his friends; around strangers, he remains aloof, not wanting to be feared for his orcish ways or derided for his failure to maintain all of them.  He holds his father, as wounded as he is by his suicide, up as a great inspiration: he violated his most deeply-held beliefs in order to keep his family, and those of several other tribesmen, safe.  That sort of sacrifice, of devotion, of loyalty, is something he can only hope to emulate, although probably not to the same extent.  That 'probably' gives him a certain thread of fatalism and a bit of a martyr complex.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:41:22 AM by Styracosaur »

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »
I will get to the new applications in a sec, but I wanted to note I've made a change to the process:

We will not be making character sheets until after the party is selected. It's just too much work to ask of people that might not make it in, but it's simple enough that it shouldn't delay things too much even for total newbies. It will also let the group make sure they have all the bases covered.

Also under "class" I put a note to include ALL of the classes you'd be willing to play the character as.

Finally, since someone asked, submitting multiple characters is fine as long as they're all characters you're happy to play.

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2015, 08:26:36 PM »
(Lynnara)

Just some clarification
  • So her parents aren't anywhere in the area obviously, but she hasn't heard anything from them since she was abandoned (as far as she knows) as a child, yes? If you want to leave it at that, that's totally fine, just understand you are leaving it up to me to determine what happened. :)
  • So she was raised in Malala's orphanage, how did she get along with the priestesses there? How does she feel about her time there? They would have been very kind to her, if often short on food and good clothing, which would give her a basic enough motive to want more and start stealing.
  • Did she ever get caught? Does she have an enemy in town, a merchant maybe who knows her as a thief? Or was she subtle and low key enough that she got away with it?
  • What close friend of hers died and how?
  • Any other classes you'd be happy to play her as?

(Louis)

Just a few observations, more questions than anything else.
  • What are his parents names? What does his dad do? How powerful of wizards do you think of them as?
  • Would it be okay if the retired soldier was also the instructor at the barracks? I have some ideas for that NPC and it would be cool to have your character have a connection there.
  • The wizard school isn't a formal academy, it's more of a small building with an experienced mage teaching what he can to who he can. He wouldn't have been given 'grades' per se just maybe disapproving and discouraging feedback.
  • We have some other applications who grew up in Riverbend. Would you be open to having any of them be childhood friends of yours?
  • He could have trained with the South Riverbend militia in the barracks if you like (with the same soldier who gave him the hammer as a kid), he wouldn't need to sneak in, they'd take anyone who was willing to learn even if he couldn't commit to patrolling with them.
  • Is he an only child?
  • Also at 6'5" he will tower over most humans. It's cool if you want that I just wanted to make sure you knew you were doing it!

(Geran)

Consider the hat thrown. :) Feedback!
  • I like the idea of orc refugees coming to Riverbend. It works out well that the Silean influenced side would be the one they would arrive in. I could see the mayor Alfana accepting them just to prove a political point about tolerance to the Sanctuary influenced side, who likely would have wanted them driven out at swordpoint.
  • I can almost see there being a few farmhouses owned by the orc refugees near each other, all friends from the same group of refugees. How would you feel about that?
  • So I'm assuming his mom is human? Unless his dad was a human that worshiped Graz?
  • How would you feel about your character knowing some of the other applicants PCs growing up?
  • What was the name of his father's tribe? Are they still a force up north or were they all wiped out? Or does he know?

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2015, 08:50:25 PM »
Just some clarification
  • So her parents aren't anywhere in the area obviously, but she hasn't heard anything from them since she was abandoned (as far as she knows) as a child, yes? If you want to leave it at that, that's totally fine, just understand you are leaving it up to me to determine what happened. :)

Bargain struck ^_^

• So she was raised in Malala's orphanage, how did she get along with the priestesses there? How does she feel about her time there? They would have been very kind to her, if often short on food and good clothing, which would give her a basic enough motive to want more and start stealing.

As I imagine it, she wouldn't nearly have enough just from the orphanage, nor would most others.  If you're good with the idea, there may well be a thriving criminal underworld that recruits the kids, but Lynnara was never willing to go evil.  As such, she'd be left out to dry when other orphans could get help with their connections.

• Did she ever get caught? Does she have an enemy in town, a merchant maybe who knows her as a thief? Or was she subtle and low key enough that she got away with it?

Having been caught a few times seems inevitable.  I imagine a human noble might have "taken pity" on her and arranged a release one time if she shared her body, something she didn't fully understand at the time but would never do again.  If you want to create this NPC, by all means, but I imagine someone Lawful Evil.

• What close friend of hers died and how?

A half-orc named Tryz about a decade ago, who had helped teach her the ropes but who was shot while running from guards.  Lynnara believes him to be dead.

• Any other classes you'd be happy to play her as?

I'm not really sure what else she'd work as with her background.  If Phantom's character won't work as anything but a rogue, I'll keep working to make another character who will fit well as another class.

Offline Styracosaur

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

• I was trying to keep them isolated from the main community, wasn't sure how integrated you would have wanted them to be.  I picture them much more as hunters and woodsmen than farmers, but then again, the survivors were mainly women and children.  So, fundamentally, the orcish refugees having one big farmhouse as a big pseudofamily, or several smaller ones, is fine.
  • So, I figure, with what seems like quite a bit of interbreeding between the Imperial humans and the Turgon orcs over the last centuries, half-orcs aren't just human parent x orc parent.  There are half-orcs who mate to produce half-orcs, there are half-orcs with an orc parent and a half-orc one, half-orcs with a human parent and a half-orc one, and then those half-orcs grow up to choose their mates . . . so there's almost more of a gradient with full orcs on one end, full humans on the other, and then "half-orcs" with varying amounts of blood from either parent in between.  So for Geran he'd be in that spectrum, with probably neither of his parents being full orc or full human.

. . . or if you don't like that idea (it's your setting!  :)  ), his father was an orc and his mother a human.  Or if she could at least be a half-orc, that'd be nice.
  • That'd be fine, no reason *not* to know them.
  • I would say they were the Wolfclaws, having adopted that name due to their close association with the Wolf Legion.  Geran wouldn't *know*, but he'd be pretty confident from stories that they were wiped out, the men slaughtered (Thanks, Graz!) and the women and children taken and integrated into the victor's tribe.  Is that true?  Who's to say (you, of course).

As a side note, I would say all the members of the Wolfclaw tribe have the "last name" Wolfclaw, but identify themselves to each other more by their descent.  So he'd be more of Geran, son of Geb, of the Wolfclaws.  Again, just my thinking, it is, of course, your setting.  :)

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2015, 08:58:50 PM »
Having been caught a few times seems inevitable.  I imagine a human noble might have "taken pity" on her and arranged a release one time if she shared her body, something she didn't fully understand at the time but would never do again.  If you want to create this NPC, by all means, but I imagine someone Lawful Evil.

No.

This is two small villages, the only person even vaguely noble is North Riverbend's appointed mayor, or people passing through.

There won't be any rape or even any borderline rape or dubious consent sex in this game.

And given her age at the time, there definitely won't be any underage dubious consent rape in this game.

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2015, 09:06:45 PM »
Understood.  Apologies if I struck a nerve.

How about if she was caught stealing from a butcher, but he realized she was trying to get food for her friends and instead made her work off the cost of the meat?  She has mixed feelings about him because she feels grateful but also humiliated, and avoids his shop as much as possible.

He remembers her, though, and keeps a close eye on her whenever she has to come by.

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2015, 09:07:23 PM »
    Thanks for the feedback!

• I was trying to keep them isolated from the main community, wasn't sure how integrated you would have wanted them to be.  I picture them much more as hunters and woodsmen than farmers, but then again, the survivors were mainly women and children.  So, fundamentally, the orcish refugees having one big farmhouse as a big pseudofamily, or several smaller ones, is fine.

All of the farm territory has farmhouses that are fairly isolated from anyone else, only the central urban area is people living right up close to each other. So if they lived out in the farmlands they would be fairly isolated only really interacting with the others when they brought in their crops at harvest time (if they trade, they could just live subsistence).

• So, I figure, with what seems like quite a bit of interbreeding between the Imperial humans and the Turgon orcs over the last centuries, half-orcs aren't just human parent x orc parent.  There are half-orcs who mate to produce half-orcs, there are half-orcs with an orc parent and a half-orc one, half-orcs with a human parent and a half-orc one, and then those half-orcs grow up to choose their mates . . . so there's almost more of a gradient with full orcs on one end, full humans on the other, and then "half-orcs" with varying amounts of blood from either parent in between.  So for Geran he'd be in that spectrum, with probably neither of his parents being full orc or full human..

You figured perfectly right. Sorry I should have realized that! Yes there is a large population of such peoples and this is totally fine.

I would say they were the Wolfclaws, having adopted that name due to their close association with the Wolf Legion.  Geran wouldn't *know*, but he'd be pretty confident from stories that they were wiped out, the men slaughtered (Thanks, Graz!) and the women and children taken and integrated into the victor's tribe.  Is that true?  Who's to say (you, of course).

That works!

As a side note, I would say all the members of the Wolfclaw tribe have the "last name" Wolfclaw, but identify themselves to each other more by their descent.  So he'd be more of Geran, son of Geb, of the Wolfclaws.  Again, just my thinking, it is, of course, your setting.  :)

No that works, any tribe could have their own customs regarding such things and those are totally fitting.

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2015, 09:08:13 PM »
    Understood.  Apologies if I struck a nerve.

How about if she was caught stealing from a butcher, but he realized she was trying to get food for her friends and instead made her work off the cost of the meat?  She has mixed feelings about him because she feels grateful but also humiliated, and avoids his shop as much as possible.

He remembers her, though, and keeps a close eye on her whenever she has to come by.

Okay, that's fine. :)

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »
    I can also easily see a particular rich, slave-owning gnome merchant passing through town, who got a glimpse of a red-haired wood elf stealing one of his exotic silk dresses several years back.  Word spread and a reward was posted, Lynnara dyed her hair for a while, and once he left, the search died away.  So far as Lynnara knows, he's long gone and has forgotten her.

Offline Styracosaur

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:39 PM »
    All of the farm territory has farmhouses that are fairly isolated from anyone else, only the central urban area is people living right up close to each other. So if they lived out in the farmlands they would be fairly isolated only really interacting with the others when they brought in their crops at harvest time (if they trade, they could just live subsistence).

Hmm, yeah, I imagine them being . . . alright farmers, but just not very interested in it.  I can see them all starting with one big farmhouse and a good size plot of land, but as the different members of the "family" found new mates, or left to go to Turgon, the number of people living there got smaller, and their ability to work the land got weaker, so they gave or sold the land to their neighbors, until there's only a few folks remaining, growing a modest amount of food for themselves (subsistence, as you said) and relying more on animals, herbs, etc. from the forest to trade with their neighbors.  Market day, they mostly stay away from, unless they have a good quantity of hides or preserved meat or something to go sell.

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »
    I can also easily see a particular rich, slave-owning gnome merchant passing through town, who got a glimpse of a red-haired wood elf stealing one of his exotic silk dresses several years back.  Word spread and a reward was posted, Lynnara dyed her hair for a while, and once he left, the search died away.  So far as Lynnara knows, he's long gone and has forgotten her.

There aren't going to be any slave owners coming through town. I should add to the history - the Empire abolished slavery centuries ago, the elves and dwarves never practiced it in the first place. The only place you'll find any slaves these days are in Tiamar and the Yaun-ti lands. I will ad that.

Hmm, yeah, I imagine them being . . . alright farmers, but just not very interested in it.  I can see them all starting with one big farmhouse and a good size plot of land, but as the different members of the "family" found new mates, or left to go to Turgon, the number of people living there got smaller, and their ability to work the land got weaker, so they gave or sold the land to their neighbors, until there's only a few folks remaining, growing a modest amount of food for themselves (subsistence, as you said) and relying more on animals, herbs, etc. from the forest to trade with their neighbors.  Market day, they mostly stay away from, unless they have a good quantity of hides or preserved meat or something to go sell.

Then I think I know just the place for them. Northern edge of J4 on the hex map, right on the edge of the forest. Over time they've farmed less and hunted more, probably making the townsfolk very uncomfortable about how much time they're spending in woods filled with goblins and bandits.

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2015, 09:55:25 PM »
    There aren't going to be any slave owners coming through town. I should add to the history - the Empire abolished slavery centuries ago, the elves and dwarves never practiced it in the first place. The only place you'll find any slaves these days are in Tiamar and the Yaun-ti lands. I will ad that.

Okie dokie ^_^ Could be a similar deal, just evil enough in other ways to provoke Lynnara's ire enough to steal something expensive and more conspicuous.

Offline JsHLDantes

• ~ acolyte of Aphrodite ~
    • Lady
    • Bacchae
    • “The very essence of romance is uncertainty.”
    • My Role Play Preferences
    • View My Rolls
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #70 on: September 07, 2015, 10:26:47 PM »

Hmm okay thoughts.
    • Mother from Avalon, human father from Silea. For this to work he'd have to be a pretty adventurous captain who managed to seduce her and knock her up while she was visiting Silea. This would make him a bit of a scoundrel which which would also explain why he just sort of tells his daughter she's on her own, maybe mom goes back to Avalon and isn't taking a half breed with her. Kid runs away from orphanages until she ends up in Riverbend where the old lady finishes raising her?
    • You okay with her father having no contact with her since he bailed on her?
    • She would have to fit in with the other PCs.
    • I hadn't really thought about multi-class, having read it over again it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as 2e was, but I'd only let people multiclass into something that another character doesn't already have. So far we have no druids, rangers, or sorcerers so that might be moot. :P

So...let me add this.  I want my character to have some connection to the sea and to ships.  In your world are there such things as 'weather witches'?  She isn't a galley wench or a scullery maid, that's for sure.
    Anyway, correct, her father is a scoundrel.  He is not evil, but he is a handsome lout who takes willing females, and though he was pressured into marrying Iliana's mother by the authority in Avalon, he wasted no time in deserting her under the guise of 'his work taking him to far away areas'.

I have no problem with him being a pirate either.  Iliana would have nothing to do with him, may not even fully know him.
    I see the possibility that he has fathered several offspring throughout Silea and areas he has traveled to, and perhaps Iliana accidentally meets up with a half brother (unknown to her), and even a 'Luke and Leia' problem. 

If I am able to add the Sorcerer/Wild Magic to her character, her wild magic would have been triggered by one of these:
    1) a sea deity's revenge on the captain's offspring, for some slight he committed on one of his journeys out to sea (I love Umberlee, but I realize she may not be in this world)
    2) The trauma of being cast out into the street, alone, and young, after spending her initial years living a life of luxury (most boring reason)
    3) a gift from the old sage she currently works with, passed on to Iliana without her full knowledge, as the old woman prepares for her eventual death.

Online Chulanowa

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2015, 02:34:53 AM »
    Two characters, classes listed in order of preference :-)

The Princess
    Name: "Princess" Ruby Bronzebarr
    Race: Dwarf (Subrace undetermined)
    Class: Rogue or Fighter or Cleric
    Orientation: More straight than not
    Background: Entertainer for Crunch, mixed with Noble for Fluff
    Height: 4'6"
    Weight: 145

Short Bio: Born and raised as the bastard daughter of Karak Milt nobleman Hormund Bronzebarr, Ruby was the spoiled child of the household for most of her youth; at least until she found out about her true birth, and the plans her parents had made to marry her off. Then started a long period of "teenage" (for a dwarf) rebellion, bucking traditions in such ways as shaving her shavables, canoodling with at least one elf, and professing a preference for wine over ale in mixed company.

The "big break" came on her wedding day - turns out that for all her tradition-bucking, things would go on as planned! ...Until she heaved her betrothed bodily into the officiating priests, cursed them, Korm, and her parents alike, and stormed off, to leave the settlement. Once she realized she couldn't go back after that, worry set in; wherever shall she go? Whatever shall she do?

Turns out? Humans think dwarven servers lend an air of authenticity to their alehouses. The hamlet of Riverbend, not far from Karak Milt, had such a tavern in need of such authenticity; Ruby's been plying her skill with ale and spirits on busy nights, and pitching in with the entertainment on more sedate evenings (She plays the lute. What did you think I meant?) She's saving up coin to buy her way out of this life; not that sheh ates it or anything, she just knows that she's destined to be "bigger" than this town.

Personality: Some would claim Ruby is more human than dwarf. Truthfully, in some ways she is; She doesn't worry much about tradition or clan, she's not a stoic, humorless lump, and she dislikes facial hair. But she does like aces, and anyone saying she's more human than dwarf will likely get a handle to the balls. Though good-natured and affable, Ruby still has that familiar Dwarven surly streak, lus her noble upbringing; She's not imperious like a human noble might be, but she still understands her own worth (shaking as it may be by being bastard-born...)

The Pathfinder
    Name: Juniper Thistlebloom
    Race: Halfling
    Class: Ranger, Druid, Warlock, or Wizard
    Orientation: Pansexual
    Background: Folk hero or Outlander
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Height: 3' 1"
    Weight: 40 lbs

Short Bio: Juniper's a child of field, forest, and verge, a pioneering settlement abutting the Bleakweald some way to the north of Riverbend. There she tended turnips and helped her brother collect firewood from the edges of the forest. Rumors said it was haunted, wolf-infested, and many worse things! Naturally, the children of the village often dared each other to dart in to a particular tree, or to sing songs to the spirits supposedly living there. But living so close to it, Juniper and her brother Gull were braver, perhaps more foolhardy than most. The forest didn't scare them! It was almost like home sometimes (especially when mother and father got into their rows...)

It's this level of contact and familiarity that brought Juniper to where she is now; a protector, explorer, and sometimes-servant of the wilderlands, tending them and learnign htem as they recover from all these ancient wounds from empire and exploitation. She sees no evil in the ruins being reclaimed by weeds; Maybe it's just how it should be!

(More specific bio dependant on class and history; an outlander wizard makes a very different thing than a folk hero ranger!)

Personality: Most of the time, Juniper is sweet, charming, and accommodating. a people-person, if you will. She has a great reverence for the world aroudn her - even the city has a natural life ot it (in theory, anyway, she's still very much a country girl.) Somewhat naive, she tends towards optimism, and when confronted with harsher realities, prefers to retreat to the nearest stand of trees and try to make friends wit hthe squirrels there. Despite this, she's not a fool, and isn't adverse to doing unplesant things when called for - after all, even the cutest piglet has his days numbered on the farm, and life i nthe forest is even more harsh. This dichotomy can be jarring for some people, but it doesn't bother Juniper. She's still conencted to her family back home, and writes them frequently. Maybe someday htey'll learn ot read, through her efforts!
    « Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:04:18 PM by Chulanowa »

Offline Hexed

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2015, 06:04:49 AM »
    First off Louis Tal Eludace can be run with any class it will just need a change to where he slipped off to instead of attending classes.

What are his parents names? What does his dad do? How powerful of wizards do you think of them as?

Mother is Amafrey Tal Eludace and father is Malark Tal Eludace. I'm actually unsure what else wizards would do... Maybe he work with magical item crafting (If 5e even uses such a thing). As for power wise I'd see them as 5th to 10th lvl as they would probably have been adventurers during the time of trouble 30 years ago that settled down once it was calmer. I'm also thinking some of their old friends are actually their adventuring buddies.

Would it be okay if the retired soldier was also the instructor at the barracks? I have some ideas for that NPC and it would be cool to have your character have a connection there.

Sounds good to me.

The wizard school isn't a formal academy, it's more of a small building with an experienced mage teaching what he can to who he can. He wouldn't have been given 'grades' per se just maybe disapproving and discouraging feedback.

Alright! Gotcha.

We have some other applications who grew up in Riverbend. Would you be open to having any of them be childhood friends of yours?

Don't have a problem with it and left the friend bit vague so that could be worked in. :D

He could have trained with the South Riverbend militia in the barracks if you like (with the same soldier who gave him the hammer as a kid), he wouldn't need to sneak in, they'd take anyone who was willing to learn even if he couldn't commit to patrolling with them.

Less sneaking in there and more sneaking to there so that his parents or friends of theirs don't drag him back to class/lecture him about attending.

Is he an only child?

Hmmm. Oldest. He has a pair of twin younger sisters Caera and Cara who unless you've other ideas... just hitting their teens.

Also at 6'5" he will tower over most humans. It's cool if you want that I just wanted to make sure you knew you were doing it!

Yep! That puts him 2 inches over me so I'll have an easier time figuring out how he'd move and deal with things. I can drop it if you'd like though.

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
    So...let me add this.  I want my character to have some connection to the sea and to ships.  In your world are there such things as 'weather witches'?  She isn't a galley wench or a scullery maid, that's for sure.

There sure are! They are as you might say a big deal to the pirate cities and traders who cross the ocean. In addition to controlling magic, such folks are also usually fluent enough in Catalinian to speak with the merfolk and get their help or at least avoid their taxes when crossing the southern sea.

Anyway, correct, her father is a scoundrel.  He is not evil, but he is a handsome lout who takes willing females, and though he was pressured into marrying Iliana's mother by the authority in Avalon, he wasted no time in deserting her under the guise of 'his work taking him to far away areas'.

Hmm. I would vastly prefer if Iliana was born in Silea. An elven woman getting seduced and then leaving the kid behind when she realizes she's been played, and then the kid getting dumped by dad at the next port, makes a lot more sense than the kid somehow making it from Avalon to Riverbend. Her upbringing in Avalon, especially a noble child, would probably be nicer than she'd get most anywhere else in the world and she'd have very little reason to leave, especially if she loved forests, the old mist-shrouded millenia-old forests in Avalon would be the coolest place in the world to her.

I have no problem with him being a pirate either.  Iliana would have nothing to do with him, may not even fully know him.
    I see the possibility that he has fathered several offspring throughout Silea and areas he has traveled to, and perhaps Iliana accidentally meets up with a half brother (unknown to her), and even a 'Luke and Leia' problem. 

Oh yes. Oh very yes. >:D

If I am able to add the Sorcerer/Wild Magic to her character, her wild magic would have been triggered by one of these:
    1) a sea deity's revenge on the captain's offspring, for some slight he committed on one of his journeys out to sea (I love Umberlee, but I realize she may not be in this world)
    2) The trauma of being cast out into the street, alone, and young, after spending her initial years living a life of luxury (most boring reason)
    3) a gift from the old sage she currently works with, passed on to Iliana without her full knowledge, as the old woman prepares for her eventual death.

I like #1, I like it a lot. The god of the Sea is a big missing spot from the list of deities and while I don't know Umberlee enough to rip her off completely like I did with a lot of the other gods, I think something very close to her could definitely be a thing. I read some of her last night and I like what I see....vengeful goddess who hangs out with megaladons and has a wizard kraken for her champion? Hells yeah!

Actually the whole info on the seas and such is something I should fill in. I will try to get that done tonight.

Two characters, classes listed in order of preference :-)

The Princess
    ]
    Name: "Princess" Ruby Bronzebarr
    Race: Dwarf (Subrace undetermined)
    Class: Rogue or Fighter or Cleric
    Orientation: More straight than not
    Background: Entertainer for Crunch, mixed with Noble for Fluff
    Height: 4'6"
    Weight: 145

Short Bio: Born and raised as the bastard daughter of Karak Milt nobleman Hormund Bronzebarr, Ruby was the spoiled child of the household for most of her youth; at least until she found out about her true birth, and the plans her parents had made to marry her off. Then started a long period of "teenage" (for a dwarf) rebellion, bucking traditions in such ways as shaving her shavables, canoodling with at least one elf, and professing a preference for wine over ale in mixed company.

The "big break" came on her wedding day - turns out that for all her tradition-bucking, things would go on as planned! ...Until she heaved her betrothed bodily into the officiating priests, cursed them, Korm, and her parents alike, and stormed off, to leave the settlement. Once she realized she couldn't go back after that, worry set in; wherever shall she go? Whatever shall she do?

Turns out? Humans think dwarven servers lend an air of authenticity to their alehouses. The hamlet of Riverbend, not far from Karak Milt, had such a tavern in need of such authenticity; Ruby's been plying her skill with ale and spirits on busy nights, and pitching in with the entertainment on more sedate evenings (She plays the lute. What did you think I meant?) She's saving up coin to buy her way out of this life; not that sheh ates it or anything, she just knows that she's destined to be "bigger" than this town.

Personality: Some would claim Ruby is more human than dwarf. Truthfully, in some ways she is; She doesn't worry much about tradition or clan, she's not a stoic, humorless lump, and she dislikes facial hair. But she does like aces, and anyone saying she's more human than dwarf will likely get a handle to the balls. Though good-natured and affable, Ruby still has that familiar Dwarven surly streak, lus her noble upbringing; She's not imperious like a human noble might be, but she still understands her own worth (shaking as it may be by being bastard-born...)

The Pathfinder
    Name: Juniper Thistlebloom
    Race: Halfling
    Class: Ranger, Druid, Warlock, or Wizard
    Orientation: Pansexual
    Background: Folk hero or Outlander
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Height: 3' 1"
    Weight: 40 lbs

Short Bio: Juniper's a child of field, forest, and verge, a pioneering settlement abutting the Bleakweald some way to the north of Riverbend. There she tended turnips and helped her brother collect firewood from the edges of the forest. Rumors said it was haunted, wolf-infested, and many worse things! Naturally, the children of the village often dared each other to dart in to a particular tree, or to sing songs to the spirits supposedly living there. But living so close to it, Juniper and her brother Gull were braver, perhaps more foolhardy than most. The forest didn't scare them! It was almost like home sometimes (especially when mother and father got into their rows...)

It's this level of contact and familiarity that brought Juniper to where she is now; a protector, explorer, and sometimes-servant of the wilderlands, tending them and learnign htem as they recover from all these ancient wounds from empire and exploitation. She sees no evil in the ruins being reclaimed by weeds; Maybe it's just how it should be!

(More specific bio dependant on class and history; an outlander wizard makes a very different thing than a folk hero ranger!)

Personality: Most of the time, Juniper is sweet, charming, and accommodating. a people-person, if you will. She has a great reverence for the world aroudn her - even the city has a natural life ot it (in theory, anyway, she's still very much a country girl.) Somewhat naive, she tends towards optimism, and when confronted with harsher realities, prefers to retreat to the nearest stand of trees and try to make friends wit hthe squirrels there. Despite this, she's not a fool, and isn't adverse to doing unplesant things when called for - after all, even the cutest piglet has his days numbered on the farm, and life i nthe forest is even more harsh. This dichotomy can be jarring for some people, but it doesn't bother Juniper. She's still conencted to her family back home, and writes them frequently. Maybe someday htey'll learn ot read, through her efforts!

Well I still like Ruby, even better with this more focused bio. She has solid motivations to adventure and great reasons she can't go back home again, and yeah, to me it just works pretty well. Juniper I'm less thrilled about. She just seems sort of ...generic? I get much less sense of why she'd be adventuring in the first place or what her goals are. Honestly though I wouldn't worry too much about it. I like Ruby better anyway. :) Maybe I just like dwarves!

First off Louis Tal Eludace can be run with any class it will just need a change to where he slipped off to instead of attending classes.

Noted. What would your order of preference be after Fighter if it comes to that?

Mother is Amafrey Tal Eludace and father is Malark Tal Eludace. I'm actually unsure what else wizards would do... Maybe he work with magical item crafting (If 5e even uses such a thing). As for power wise I'd see them as 5th to 10th lvl as they would probably have been adventurers during the time of trouble 30 years ago that settled down once it was calmer. I'm also thinking some of their old friends are actually their adventuring buddies.

I like the idea of his parents being veterans of the fall of the empire. In fact I really like it. What I don't like so much is the idea of two high level wizards in the PCs backyard. Riverbend is basically set up so that the PCs can start to shine pretty quickly, with nobody really being all that strong level wise in the area, at least nobody who is motivated to be involved in the local scene. Having mom be able to pop up and fireball out the goblin bandits with a flick of her wrists would kind of kill that vibe.

Could I propose his folks have been called back to Sanctuary and are working for the new leader there? It takes them out of the picture enough to keep them from stepping on anyone's toes, but leaves them as a connection to the nastiness of the fall of the empire which I can do all sorts of cool plot things with.

Offline Hexed

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »
    First off for Luis is the class preferences.

Fighter (of course.) , Warlock (I've always liked the ideas behind the class), Barbarian, Paladin/Cleric, Wizard, Monk, Rogue, Ranger, Sorcerer, Bard.

Pretty sure that's all of them and if not it's probably at the end. For the most part I wouldn't mind fiddling with the backstory to play any of the classes and have seen several 3rd lvl choices that could lead to similar ends for him in behavior and combat style.

As for his parents... Them being called to Sanctuary could work, although it would potentially strip the troublemaking younger sisters from the scene. :D. Or since it was demonic troubles during the empire's fall maybe they both suffer under level drains or some curse that prevents them from their full power.