You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 02:47:04 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Riverbend [D&D 5e] - No Longer Taking Applications  (Read 3064 times)

Offline RedPhoenixTopic starter

Riverbend [D&D 5e] - No Longer Taking Applications
« on: August 31, 2015, 12:00:43 AM »
No Longer Taking New Applications

Old Post
I am hoping to pick the starting party next Sunday (September 13th).

I will be giving feedback and criticism to any sheet that is posted. The earlier you start posting your stuff, the more feedback you will get, the more chances you will have to change things to improve odds of acceptance, and the better feel we will both get for whether this will be a fun game for you or not!

Do NOT worry if you did not post an expression of interest. Nothing is reserved. Anyone can apply between now and Saturday.

All you need to know about the setting, read here ->https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=235693.0

As you can see that is not meant to be all inclusive, just a very rough overview. My goal was to make a setting that had a bit of everything - intrigue, monsters, fun roleplaying possibilities, orc hordes, pirates - while remaining true to the D&D roots. You can skip the entire second and third posts if you don't care to know the history and religion info, all the stuff you'd need to know is in the first and last post there.

What I will be looking for
- A Party of 4-6 1st level characters
- 1st level characters should not be widely traveled or have great accomplishments.
- They should be good aligned, or at least a flavor of neutral that is willing to fight evil
- I won't be taking more than one of the same class, so be prepared to be flexible about class choice
- Players and characters must be willing to work together as a team.
- Players must be fairly active and be willing to commit to at least a short blurb with your characters intentions every other day or so.
- Players who enjoy all aspects of table top gaming (fighting, getting treasure, leveling up, social conflict, and roleplaying!)

This is NOT first come first served. I will be looking for people who will make the best party for the type of game I want to run, not the first people to apply. If two people submit very similar applications, I will be asking them to work out between them who is willing to change their mind.

It would be convenient if you owned the player's handbook, but it isn't required, I'd be happy to walk people through character creation and try to make sure people know what their options are in fights and stuff. We are not using any Unearthed Arcana or any other supplements, although I may approve them on a case by case basis.

Character Creation:

Step 1:

Submit the following:

Code: [Select]
[floatright][img width=300 padding=10](Character Picture here!)[/img][/floatright][b]Name[/b]:
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Class:[/b] (include all classes you'd be happy to play the character as)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Orientation:[/b]
[b]Background:[/b]
[b]Alignment:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Short Bio:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b] 

As far as your bio goes, you do not need to include the details of your history with the group, but you should have arrived and been active in the Riverbend area no less than a year ago, and prepare to have that part of your bio made as a group effort later on.

Some of you have already essentially told me this. If you think what you've already submitted covers this, just copy paste what you already have into the form please! Once I approve of everyone in step 1, go on to step 2!

Step 2:
I will select the starting party.

Step 3:

Will be making the character sheet. If you want to play a variant human/unearthed arcana or anything like that please please please ask for approval before you go through all this just to get told no!!

House Rules for Character Creation - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=235693.msg11592900#msg11592900

Step 4:
Party background. The players and myself will collectively figure out what you all have been doing for the past year or so, how you all came to be buddies and adventurers, and what everyone has going on when the campaign starts.

Step 5:
The game begins. :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:03:33 AM by RedPhoenix »

Online Chulanowa

Re: Riverbend [D&D 5e] - Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 12:58:19 AM »
I'm interested here. Would rather like to play a Dwarf of some variety. Looking towards Barbarian, Bard, or Rogue. I'd have to flip through my material again

Offline Changingsaint

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:22:35 AM »
I'm interested too. I think i'd like to play a human fighter, perhaps from Tevkan, a soldier of some sort who left the military life,maybe seeking a proper name for himself amongst the land of others. Or perhaps a warlock, a man who made a bargain with dark powers on deaths door and seeks to find a way to both increase his own power and avoid a more foul fate.

Preferably i'd like to play a variant human as I like feats. There was a blurb about variant humans on a case by case basis and I understand that, I don't think a feat would make a character too mechanically complex or difficult for me.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:29:19 AM »
Yay people posted! :D

I'm interested here. Would rather like to play a Dwarf of some variety. Looking towards Barbarian, Bard, or Rogue. I'd have to flip through my material again

Cool!

I'm interested too. I think i'd like to play a human fighter, perhaps from Tevkan, a soldier of some sort who left the military life,maybe seeking a proper name for himself amongst the land of others. Or perhaps a warlock, a man who made a bargain with dark powers on deaths door and seeks to find a way to both increase his own power and avoid a more foul fate.

Preferably i'd like to play a variant human as I like feats. There was a blurb about variant humans on a case by case basis and I understand that, I don't think a feat would make a character too mechanically complex or difficult for me.

A soldier from the Frozen Forest area who made it all the way to Riverbend would probably have gained several levels in the process so wouldn't make a ton of sense for a first level character. However the child of such an immigrant would be an excellent 1st level character, and give me some NPCs to use as well!

And regarding avoiding making things too mechanically complex, um, I was more thinking of me than the players. :P Like I would groan if I processed an entire turn and then someone says "Oh uh, my feat says that doesn't happen" and I have to redo the whole thing. Like I said, happy to consider on a case by case basis so let me know what you're thinking and I can tell you which way I would lean!

Offline Rajah

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 02:08:22 AM »
Interest: Definitely. Your setting is amazing.
Character: Kval Inalion, half-elven explorer and ambassador of the Hyena Legion, raised in one of its wilder outposts some distance from Sanctuary proper, where lingering corruption has bred an unpleasant mix of overzealousness and seductive heresy. The kind of place that still has the occasional witch-burning - sometimes of the last person to have incited a witch-burning. When he reached age of conscription, he chose a posting with opportunities for travel and freedom from the bulk of military discipline (although his obligation to engage in good-will efforts and with the Legion's foes abroad makes it commensurately more dangerous). He's something like the equivalent of a lapsed Catholic in his worship of a somewhat heretical adaptation of Omet and a very heretical adaptation of Satrina that paints her as Omet's wayward lieutenant; after a few years on the Silean side of things, he's taken up Kerella with rather more enthusiasm (if perhaps a bit less piety). Despite his religious ambiguity, he takes his status as a citizen and soldier quite seriously, and Imperial interests are always his own. A bard to start; might swing splashes of paladin or warlock later, might not.
Setting: Really great work. One thing I'd like to see is the major cultures (especially Silea and Sanctuary) expanded on individually in terms of aesthetics and attitudes.

Feats: I like 'em. You can live without them but they're fun, and IMHO they're all really simple. Everything in 5E is really simple, which is nice.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:11:31 AM by Rajah »

Offline Changingsaint

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 04:18:39 AM »
Yay people posted! :D

Cool!

A soldier from the Frozen Forest area who made it all the way to Riverbend would probably have gained several levels in the process so wouldn't make a ton of sense for a first level character. However the child of such an immigrant would be an excellent 1st level character, and give me some NPCs to use as well!

And regarding avoiding making things too mechanically complex, um, I was more thinking of me than the players. :P Like I would groan if I processed an entire turn and then someone says "Oh uh, my feat says that doesn't happen" and I have to redo the whole thing. Like I said, happy to consider on a case by case basis so let me know what you're thinking and I can tell you which way I would lean!

Such an idea also works! In general, the feats i'd take are feats like Crossbow Expert, Great weapon mastery, Polearm master, which are mostly feats that the player needs to worry over sans part of Polearm master.

Offline Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Luna's Arcangel -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:47:20 AM »
ooh.  :) 

May I play?  Do we have a wizard aplicant yet? 

Offline Hexed

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 05:58:37 AM »
And I find this just before work. :(

I'm not as familiar with 5e but I've the books... somewhere.

The setting does seem quite the powder keg just waiting on something to happen. :)

I'll have to hit the books first but I'll throw out either a hammer wielding fighter type or a warlock (Does 5e still have them?) gnome. :)

Offline Rajah

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 08:01:30 AM »
warlock (Does 5e still have them?) gnome. :)

Yes. They're kinda-sorta full casters serving one of (so far) three types of patron entity who are less about spells than they are about collecting permanent buffs in the form of Invocations and doing solid sustained damage with their eldritch blast cantrip, which is unique in that it can hit multiple times and be upgraded in a bunch of ways, including adding an attribute to each hit, which makes them very reliable. They only get four spell slots ever, and gain them very slowly, but all their slots upgrade to the highest they can cast (until 5th level) and refresh every short rest rather than every long rest (meaning 'between encounters if you have about an hour to relax' instead of 'when you go to sleep', so they can theoretically cast all day). After 5th-level spells they get the ability to 1/day cast a 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell at the usual progression. Those don't recharge. They can swap their Invocations around every level. They're very fun.

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
If there's still room, I'd love to jump in on this.

I don't see a rogue so far, so maybe I can hop on that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:26:01 AM by AndyZ »

Offline caelcormac

• It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church.
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • I have a deep and abiding love of the comma
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 11:27:51 AM »
I'd like to toss my hat in as well. I'd love to give a 5e Monk or Fighter a spin.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »
Made two quick changes to character creation - Dragonborn and Half-Orcs will both start at least 18 years old and those races will age at the same pace as humans. This will remove the possibility of any characters being underage. Not that there necessarily will be any erotic content in this game, but I'd like it to be an option if it's fitting for the characters and where the story goes.

Interest: Definitely. Your setting is amazing.
Character: Kval Inalion, half-elven explorer and ambassador of the Hyena Legion, raised in one of its wilder outposts some distance from Sanctuary proper, where lingering corruption has bred an unpleasant mix of overzealousness and seductive heresy. The kind of place that still has the occasional witch-burning - sometimes of the last person to have incited a witch-burning. When he reached age of conscription, he chose a posting with opportunities for travel and freedom from the bulk of military discipline (although his obligation to engage in good-will efforts and with the Legion's foes abroad makes it commensurately more dangerous). He's something like the equivalent of a lapsed Catholic in his worship of a somewhat heretical adaptation of Omet and a very heretical adaptation of Satrina that paints her as Omet's wayward lieutenant; after a few years on the Silean side of things, he's taken up Kerella with rather more enthusiasm (if perhaps a bit less piety). Despite his religious ambiguity, he takes his status as a citizen and soldier quite seriously, and Imperial interests are always his own. A bard to start; might swing splashes of paladin or warlock later, might not.

I like the character personality wise and I like the idea of Satrina worship sneaking in by pretending she's a lieutenant of Omet and will probably steal that idea. There are a few things that I think are mostly my fault for not making it clear.
- Overall the character is too accomplished and well traveled for a first level character. I need to be more clear about this in the OP.
- The Hyena Legion is a pretty elite force. 1st Level characters would not be members of it (I need to ad this to the setting info). Now if your character wanted to be some day and joined the local militia to work his way up, that would be fitting.
- Witch burning is hardly a rare thing anywhere in Sanctuary, this is the dark ages after all, and there are actual demon worshiping witches to be burned, so it wouldn't be a rare thing. I actually meant to have a whole thing about Imperial witch hunters in the setting info, I need to ad that.

Setting: Really great work. One thing I'd like to see is the major cultures (especially Silea and Sanctuary) expanded on individually in terms of aesthetics and attitudes.

Definitely room for this, thank you for bringing it up! I will work on it when I get a chance.

Such an idea also works! In general, the feats i'd take are feats like Crossbow Expert, Great weapon mastery, Polearm master, which are mostly feats that the player needs to worry over sans part of Polearm master.

Well right now i'm only thinking of allowing Variant humans to start with a feat rather than ability bonuses. If we get to the point where people are hitting 4th level (I think that's the earliest level feats can be taken at otherwise) or so and I think things are smooth enough for feats to be taken we can have that discussion again at that point.

ooh.  :) 

May I play?  Do we have a wizard aplicant yet? 

Pretty much anyone can express interest which is all we're doing at this point, and again this is not first come first served so at this point focus on what you want to play for the time being and if you want to max out your chances of getting in just be willing to be flexible in the future!

And I find this just before work. :(

Assuming you aren't working straight from now til Sunday you'll have time to state more specific interest. :P

And Rajah covered the Warlock question. :)

If there's still room, I'd love to jump in on this.

I don't see a rogue so far, so maybe I can hop on that.

There are no spots filled, and there won't be for at least a week, so there is all of the room.

I'd like to toss my hat in as well. I'd love to give a 5e Monk or Fighter a spin.

Cool. The Monk was one of the character classes that caught my eye as I was flipping through stuff, I've never played as one or had one in a game before they look nifty!

Again to everyone THIS IS NOT FIRST COME FIRST SERVED and I won't even begin mechanical character creation until Sunday at the earliest so there is plenty of time to state interest!

edit: Added this to the op:

Please keep in mind I am heavily emphasizing 1st Level Character and I am looking more for goals and personality, there shouldn't be any significant accomplishments in your character's history to date and they should not have traveled or seen much of the world.

edit 2: Added a bit to the history of the setting in the linked thread, a blurb about Orc Supremacy after the dragon wars, a bit about the state of the Empire before it's fall (including Omet's Witch Hunters and the persecution of non-humans, and added dates to the headings to give a better idea of timelines).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:06:27 PM by RedPhoenix »

Offline Etherealgirl

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »
I love 5th edition! I would love to join this game! Can I reserve a tiefling warlock? :D

Offline Rajah

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »
I love 5th edition! I would love to join this game! Can I reserve a tiefling warlock? :D
Pretty much anyone can express interest which is all we're doing at this point, and again this is not first come first served so at this point focus on what you want to play for the time being and if you want to max out your chances of getting in just be willing to be flexible in the future!

There are no spots filled, and there won't be for at least a week, so there is all of the room.

Again to everyone THIS IS NOT FIRST COME FIRST SERVED and I won't even begin mechanical character creation until Sunday at the earliest so there is plenty of time to state interest!

:P

-Overall the character is too accomplished and well traveled for a first level character. I need to be more clear about this in the OP.
- The Hyena Legion is a pretty elite force. 1st Level characters would not be members of it (I need to ad this to the setting info). Now if your character wanted to be some day and joined the local militia to work his way up, that would be fitting.
- Witch burning is hardly a rare thing anywhere in Sanctuary, this is the dark ages after all, and there are actual demon worshiping witches to be burned, so it wouldn't be a rare thing. I actually meant to have a whole thing about Imperial witch hunters in the setting info, I need to ad that.

Alright, I can work with this. So! I had the impression that "the Hyena Legion" had transitioned from being a legion to being a city-state based around Sanctuary; as that's not the case, what is that area around Sanctuary called, or is it all just "Sanctuary"?

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 07:51:11 PM »

Hooray! Welcome! You can state your interest but I'm not taking reservations! No dibs, firsties, etc. either. I'll be picking the party I like the best once characters are all developed, which I'm going to give lots of time to do!

Of course ... A tiefling warlock would be an awesome character for the setting. A cursed half-breed struggling to use her awesome gifts for good while her evil patron mocks her attempts at benevolence would be quite fun, and most importantly give me a means to directly torment the player, which is of course what every GM wants. >:)

:P

Alright, I can work with this. So! I had the impression that "the Hyena Legion" had transitioned from being a legion to being a city-state based around Sanctuary; as that's not the case, what is that area around Sanctuary called, or is it all just "Sanctuary"?

Sanctuary is both the city and the area that Hyena Legion still protects. We're only thirty years after the Empire dissolved in a devil implosion so formal borders and politics are really vague. Think of Hyena Legion like the elite corps of the military of the region. Every village and city will have it's own militia or garrison. Riverbend for example is under the protection of the Hyenas but they don't have the resources to be constantly everywhere. They are basically still acting like an Imperial Legion, just for the remnants of the Empire now based out of Sanctuary. For a number of reasons they don't call themselves the Empire anymore.

Offline Etherealgirl

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 07:56:40 PM »
Hooray! Welcome! You can state your interest but I'm not taking reservations! No dibs, firsties, etc. either. I'll be picking the party I like the best once characters are all developed, which I'm going to give lots of time to do!

Of course ... A tiefling warlock would be an awesome character for the setting. A cursed half-breed struggling to use her awesome gifts for good while her evil patron mocks her attempts at benevolence would be quite fun, and most importantly give me a means to directly torment the player, which is of course what every GM wants. >:)

ooh! I love to be tortured! Plus i love characters who have a struggle. Super excited about this and hope to join up. :)

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 09:44:35 PM »
I added the following blurbs to the first post of the setting topic, hopefully this gives a better idea of Sanctuary and Silea and their differing views.

Sanctuary (about a week east of the map)
Sanctuary is the current seat of power for the remnants of the once powerful and glorious Mendivi Empire. The Empire was undone when the capital's corruption and decadence finally boiled over in the form of a demonic incursion that destroyed the city. The refugees from the capital city fled north to the city of Sanctuary. To get an idea of Sanctuary, picture early New York City mixed with the Vatican. The last loyal legion, the Hyenas, are the defenders of the remnants of the empire, although elite in nature they are few in number and spend their time traveling from threat to threat. Sanctuary is led by Archbishop Rufus Gallant, the most pious of the clergy of Omet whose ambition takes the form of a desire to keep the people safe in what he views as the world's darkest hour, a desire that often extends to thinking no other force can be trusted to do so, and that the only safe world is one that he controls.

Silea (about two weeks southwest of the map)
Silea is the largest city in the known world. Founded millenia ago by elves, besieged by Dragonborn, ransacked by orcs, once a loyal subject of the Empire and now free this city has stood the tests of time over and over. The old elven city is now the center of a sprawling metropolis that incorporates all of the player races in some aspect or another. It is ruled by an impromptu Council of rich families whose fortunes and influence wax and wane through trade and intrigue. To get an idea of Slilea, mix Rivendell with Ibiza. The Silean Council is many voices and thus there are friends to everyone and enemies to everyone on it, making diplomacy a treacherous prospect for foreigners. After the fall of the Empire many wealthy Silean families began to lay claim to surrounding areas, pushing further and further out with privately financed forces that eventually started to rub against the area protected by the Archbishop, leading to the current political situation in Riverbend.

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 09:45:48 PM »
ooh! I love to be tortured! Plus i love characters who have a struggle. Super excited about this and hope to join up. :)

Yes, I am looking for a group of good guys who have to struggle to be good in this very gray (and sometimes just straight up evil) world. Hopefully interest lasts long enough to really get things off the ground!

and on that note I added this to the op:

GOOD characters, I am looking for future heroes, the world has enough bad guys
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:47:25 PM by RedPhoenix »

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »
I haven't tried out 5e but I'd like to.  If you don't mind a system newbie, I'd be interested in this game.

BTW I have played 3/3.5 and 4e before so I'm not a total DnD virgin.  :)

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 12:46:42 AM »
If newbies were denied I wouldn't be allowed to run this, so I sure hope that doesn't disqualify anyone! :)

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 09:50:05 AM »
Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Lynnara - Wood Elf Rogue

Lynnara was barely old enough to remember when her parents escaped the Frozen Forest.  They ended up on the North Riverbend, where in a scant few years they became addicted to the luxury of the lavish kindness of their new home and ended up copperless at the Temple of Malala.  Sometimes, if Lynnara closes her eyes and concentrates enough, she can almost remember her parents' faces.

At some point, not quite old enough to understand what it meant, she ended up on the street.  Older children took pity on her, teaching her the simple philosophy that could be the difference between food and starvation: beg for what you'll be given, steal what you won't.

From the perspective of anyone else who hasn't been through her ordeals, this makes her a bad person.  She never takes from anyone with whom she has any degree of loyalty, however, and tries to make it up by helping the urchins without her grace or agility.

For those concerned with having a thief in the party, my plan is that she'll develop party loyalty pretty quickly and not steal from the PCs.  Or if she does, return whatever it was as guilt gets to her, and I'll talk it over OOC with the person in question beforehand to make sure all is cool.

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 07:55:07 PM »
Well the plan is to have the party start off together, knowing each other, and already loyal so there wouldn't be any reason for anyone to be concerned about that. We'll deal with coming up with a group history though once I've determined the characters.

Otherwise, looks like a solid concept. :)

Offline Etherealgirl

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 07:42:46 AM »
Cool Character concept AndyZ.

Online Chulanowa

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 01:55:23 AM »
Alright, what I'm going with is a dwarven girl who's decided "screw tradition, I'm outta here!" She packed her shaving kit (scandalous!) and left the warm cozy life of Maiden Who Wants So Much More™ (innkeeper's daughter? pampered daughter of a minor noble?) to strike out for the cause of adventure, romance (Elf boys, more scandal!) and seeing how long it takes for her to regret her decision. I also want there ot be some "reason she can't go back" - beyond the wagging fingers and tongues for having bucked tradition. Maybe she literally spit in the king's eye. Maybe her homeland's had an ultra-orthodox regime change and the "sunwalkers" are no longer welcome in the underhall.

Something like that!

For class, given the concept it'll need to be something relatively "simple"... An unready fighter a rogue with a heart of gold, a bard who tries too hard all seem like solid angles to go with her. Maybe A cleric of some sort?

I love dwarf gals

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 05:23:53 PM »
I like the concept. A very easy way she couldn't go back is if she was from Karak Milt and disrespected the god Korm, spitting in the high priest's face would certainly accomplish that, and it would make things super awkward for when the party inevitably has to go back there, plus it could explain how she ends up in Riverbend - it's the closest place to go!

Also just to everyone - interest check is open until Sunday, it is nowhere near too late to say if you want to play! After Sunday I will gauge the interest and see if there's enough to move on to character creation. If so, it will probably be another week for that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:26:18 PM by RedPhoenix »