You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 12:07:59 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Random noise from the laptop  (Read 590 times)

Offline Beguile's MistressTopic starter

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Random noise from the laptop
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:39:30 PM »
I'm scratching my head.

During the last few weeks my laptop has been making a strange noise at random times.  It is a sort of electronic two-note chime that occurs singly or doubly.  Nothing appears on the screen or in the toolbar announcing a notification or update.

Does anyone have any Idea what this could be and is is something benign or do I need to flail like a little green frog of our acquaintance?

Offline Vekseid

Re: Random noise from the laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »
Watch the charging meter?

If there's a problem with your power jack it could be the disconnect/reconnect notification.

Offline Geraint

• Propigator of Plot Bunnies, RomanceCrack Dealer and Sireneous Wayword Muse Also Accused Plot Demon Breeder of Plotweilers ...
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • "There's no rush...but I can't wait."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »
I'm scratching my head.

During the last few weeks my laptop has been making a strange noise at random times.  It is a sort of electronic two-note chime that occurs singly or doubly.  Nothing appears on the screen or in the toolbar announcing a notification or update.

Does anyone have any Idea what this could be and is is something benign or do I need to flail like a little green frog of our acquaintance?
Something like that also may happen when a peripheral, USB port, or other driver loads and unloads (which might show among the hidden icons on the right).  It has occasionally happened to me randomly on my laptop, as well and seemed to be associated with activity of the DVD drive, especially if I accidentally push the open button on the drive, or if I have left a DVD in the drive and it notices again and again that there is something to play (but doesn't autorun).   I'm not sure that applies to your situation, but figured it was worth a shot.

Offline The Dark Raven

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:48:54 PM »
Mine does this randomly, but mine is so old, I am pretty sure it has something to do with the battery being shot (but if your battery is ok, I'm sure it isn't that).

Offline AmberStarfire

• Rogue Starlight ~ Fantasy Novelist ~ This Is Who We Are ~ Scully to his Mulder
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • ❤ Snuggler of the Wyld and Hairy ❤
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »
My last one did this sometimes as well and I wasn't even sure what device it was coming from (it could've been the Kindle across the room) but I figured it was something to do with it charging up maybe.

You ought to be able to go into your personalisation settings on the control panel (there should be an audio option - sometimes it's near the display settings) and see the different audio sounds attributed to each thing that's Windows-related. You should be able to test the sounds and see what they sound like and maybe one will match the sound you're hearing.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »
Geraint's idea sounds like a likely culprit, especially with the 'two-note chime' that you describe.  If you have a USB Flash Drive, try plugging it into the laptop and see if the noise when it mounts is the same as the chime you're hearing.  (My desktop does this periodically, always in conjunction with 'boot-up' noises from my USB printer.)

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 11:46:47 PM »
The noise when a USB drive connects or releases is different.  That one I recognize because one of my USB ports is loose and the drive releases and reconnects frequently.  The noise hasn't happened in a while now.  Even my IT people at work can't figure it out.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  It's much appreciated.

Offline LtSurge

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 06:29:42 AM »
What model/make is your laptop?

• Dame
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 10:31:04 AM »
It's an HP ProBook 4545s