You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 03:49:35 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Building a Game  (Read 524 times)

Offline A PainterTopic starter

Building a Game
« on: August 23, 2015, 07:04:38 AM »
Hey, guys! Since I am fairly new to E, I'm not sure what the ingredients to make a successful game are, so I'd really appreciate some help!

I have a story in my head that I really, really would love to turn in to a game, but I feel the PvP element will make it difficult to role play without a proper system in place. 
The problem?  I've never run a game with a system, so I wouldn't know how to set it up.

Basically the game would end up in the Extreme section of E because it's a horror game based off Fruits Basket (just the cursed family member part), Toukyou Kushu (taken elements of the gouls and made aspects of that part of the curse) and it's going to be based in Feudal Japan.

The game will have 3 sides: the cursed family (who may even be at war with themselves), the oni hunters who will eventually discover and try to kill the family, and the villagers who may or may not be able to tip the scales in one side's favor.

Would a system be good for this type of game?  I only play D&D 5e and I've never had to calculate stats on the level a DM has to. 
Would a free form game be better?  How do I keep things in control and stop conflicts between players in a less structured game?

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Building a Game
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:29:50 AM »
When you're dealing with PvP, a system does give the benefit of quantifiable stats. I haven't played D&D since 3rd ed, so can't comment on the suitability of it.

From what you're describing, I'd probably look at the Dresden Files FATE system, as it does cover a variety of supernatural abilities that the players can have, and you might be able to adapt it to what you have there.

Offline A PainterTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 06:40:07 AM »
Thanks for the tip!  I'll take a look at the system :)

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »
I think you can get a version of the core rules free

http://www.faterpg.com/

Should be enough to give you an idea if it will suit or not.