Interest Check - A Sort of Survival - Need Soldiers/Sex Slaves

Started by Maeve, August 13, 2015, 10:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

Quote from: Maeve on September 16, 2015, 11:41:10 PM
Just one question though, what is the legal age on Elliquiy? I would rather us not get into trouble because of a two year age difference.
All characters in sexual situations (even if they are just in the same space while not actively participating) must be sixteen years of age or older - mentally and physically. If you use images, they must show a person at least eighteen years of age (even if the character is just sixteen).

Sorry for the intrustion! :-)

Vex

Quote from: Maeve on September 16, 2015, 11:41:10 PM
I'm fine with that as long as everyone else is. I think having one younger character would be a good fly to dip into the ointment, not only from her perspective but also how the other women react to her.  I don't know how many of you have hung out with teenage girls, but I always find myself in turns protective of them and annoyed by them and I think this would be an interesting dynamic. Just one question though, what is the legal age on Elliquiy? I would rather us not get into trouble because of a two year age difference.

Indeed. It is as Nicholas and kckolbe say. I wouldn't suggest anything against this site's policies, nor would kckolbe, I assume. Sixteen is within the E's rules, and while I'd be sitting at the edge with that concept, I'm certainly not going to do anything to push those boundaries. I'm not that daring.

But, the rules aren't everything. Beyond that, I'm not looking to many anyone uncomfortable. So, if you, or any other player, are uncomfortable with the idea, even though it's within the rules, I'm more than happy to ditch that concept for something more accommodating. I'm sure I can find another concept that works for everyone, if that's the case.

Yeah, I've that experience with teens too. Damn brats think they know everything, and then are repeatedly surprised by just how much they don't.  ::) I'm hoping for a fairly reasonable portrayal, though. Sure, throws some chaos into things with her occasional outbursts, but never gets too ridiculous. She may blow things out of proportion or downplay things that need some attention, but she isn't delusional or making things up out of nothing. I'm looking a confused, scared girl who's doing the best to learn in a world gone-tipsy turvy while she's still trying to find her place in it, not a completely egotistical drama-queen (although she might come off as that to certain characters). No idea if I can actually pull that off, if people are interested, I'll try.

And I hope it's not just the women who have some complex feelings about her. She can be an interesting conflict for the men as well, some of who can be just as protective as the women when it comes to young people. Of course, others won't care, and will treat her the same as any other woman. Some might even have less patience for her. It'll be fascinating to see where everyone lies on that matter, and more importantly, why they do. I think their rationale behind it can say a lot about how they see societal order (both the old and the new) and people as a whole.

Quote from: Aurai on September 16, 2015, 07:05:32 PM
I absolutely love the idea of focusing on and exploring relationships in a post-apoc scenario like this one. Shifting perceived societal norms with some blood and guts action thrown in for funs? Sounds delicious.  ;D

Any thoughts on the possibility of female military personnel? I'm not necessarily thinking as part of the established group or company; perhaps she's ex-military or perhaps she lost her colleagues somewhere along the way. I think it would be very interesting to play a competent, strong ex-military type struggling to figure out where exactly she's supposed to fit in. How would the group feel about her? How would she feel about the group? What's expected of her? How hard will she fight against it?

Anyway, just brainstorming possibilities. Let me know what you think. Might make more sense to have an established relationship already within the group as reason to stay.

Just wanted to say I really liked that concept. Female soldiers are very much a current reality. There aren't many of them, but they do certainly exist. It would be very interesting to see how she fits into this scheme. Is she different? Does she have immunity? Or is she expected to fulfill both the role of protector and "stress relief"? Can she make demands herself? How does she feel about the other women, or the arrangement in general?

Not that my approval means anything, but I think it's a great concept.  ;D

arthenwel

Actually, women make up about 40% of the military at the present. Or at least, they did when I was in a couple years ago
Be careful who you try to burn. You might just find that the other person knows how to play with fire better than you.

On's/Off's- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=185686.0
A/A's- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=228170.msg11197359#msg11197359

kckolbe

Maybe it was 40% in a certain field, it' around 14.5% overall.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

arthenwel

The ratio in the boot camp was about 3-5 divisions of female to 6-8divisions of males.
Be careful who you try to burn. You might just find that the other person knows how to play with fire better than you.

A/A's- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=228170.msg11197359#msg11197359

arthenwel

Sorry, I get very particular at strange times. Either way, it's not uncommon to have a woman soldier

Vex

Not any more, certainly. My apologies if I gave an inaccurate portrayal. But, I must say, it seems like it all the more reason why Aurai's concept is a strong one. More female soldiers about makes it all the more likely that some managed to survive and become part of the crew. after all.

arthenwel

Of course. I was just being nit picky for some reason

kckolbe

Been posting from my phone, finally done with the brutal part of my schedule for a couple of days.  Vex, I am definitely interested in seeing your take on a teenage char.  Likewise, I really like Aurai's concept as well.  I feel like both can cause significant discord by just existing in an environment like this.  While 4 females is more than Maeve probably wanted, each one really appears to offer something different to the relationship dynamic.  With the gender ratio shifting, the initial agreement might need to shift, perhaps with Charlotte having offered the bargain, though this only works if there is no crazy waif (and it seems there won't be).

What are you thinking, Maeve?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Vex

I'm glad you like my take on the concept, but I suppose that's more your idea than it was mine. Still, I appreciate it, and I look forward to seeing what you and b.b sparkle do with your siblings idea.

I suppose we are filling up on the female side, yes. Four females might be a tad more than Maeve wanted. I wouldn't mind dropping out if need be, to better fit her vision of the story, but I think I like Aurai's female soldier idea is a more interesting dynamic to explore, if we're comparing the two as characters who might had been with the group of men before Charlotte's inclusion.

I'll work on the concept as soon as I can. But, in the mean time, I had a couple of questions about the setting, if you wouldn't mind, Maeve. I take it this mansion is in the United States? I know the Humane Society is primarily based there, but you did say this was a 28 Days Later AU, and that takes place in the U.K.. Just wanted to be sure, as I often include regional aspects to my characters. If it's in the U.S., did you have an idea of where it would be? Like a State or a general region of the country?

Once again, I know this is a 28 Days Later AU, but is this actually taking place 28 days after the outbreak (I'll admit, I feel a little silly asking that  :P ). Just want to understand the time-frame I have to account for.

Does this take place sometime this year, in 2015? Again, I hate to keep bringing up the series, but that was released over a decade ago. Technology has changed quite a bit since 2003, as has political events, international issues, and the psyche of the quite a few countries (public perception on homosexuality, for instance).

Lastly, more meta, but how much focus do you think will be given to survival elements or fighting zombies in this game? I get that the central focus will be on the relationships of the survivors and the unusual arrangement that's been made in this fledgling society of survivors, but how much do you see our characters dealing with the hostile environment that forced them into this position? Just more of a curiosity, as for what to expect.

Maeve

Quote from: Aurai on September 16, 2015, 07:05:32 PM
I absolutely love the idea of focusing on and exploring relationships in a post-apoc scenario like this one. Shifting perceived societal norms with some blood and guts action thrown in for funs? Sounds delicious.  ;D

Any thoughts on the possibility of female military personnel? I'm not necessarily thinking as part of the established group or company; perhaps she's ex-military or perhaps she lost her colleagues somewhere along the way. I think it would be very interesting to play a competent, strong ex-military type struggling to figure out where exactly she's supposed to fit in. How would the group feel about her? How would she feel about the group? What's expected of her? How hard will she fight against it?

Anyway, just brainstorming possibilities. Let me know what you think. Might make more sense to have an established relationship already within the group as reason to stay.

That sounds great to me. It's up to you whether you want to be part of the group already, hell, that would be the origin story of the crazy waif, or if you want to be a lone wolf that stumbles across the message. Could be she's the protector for the teenage girl, maybe her older sister, or she was the leader for another group of survivors that were slowly decimated. It's up to you, but I would love to have the counterbalance to Charlotte who while she's strong, is not army strong.

As to all the other thoughts, I will hopefully answer them tonight. The weather is killing me and making it hard to concentrate, I wish it would just be autumn already.

kckolbe

By the way, I got a pm from blue bunny sparkle that she will have to drop due to time constraints.  Just a heads up.

Intro Thread

Lissadell

Apologies in advance for the incoming wall of quotes!

Quote from: Vex on September 17, 2015, 02:15:50 AMJust wanted to say I really liked that concept. Female soldiers are very much a current reality. There aren't many of them, but they do certainly exist. It would be very interesting to see how she fits into this scheme. Is she different? Does she have immunity? Or is she expected to fulfill both the role of protector and "stress relief"? Can she make demands herself? How does she feel about the other women, or the arrangement in general?

Not that my approval means anything, but I think it's a great concept.  ;D

Thanks so much, Vex! There are so many different tacks I could take with her personality and circumstances. I'm really looking forward to answering all of those questions.

Quote from: arthenwel on September 17, 2015, 07:26:23 AM
Actually, women make up about 40% of the military at the present. Or at least, they did when I was in a couple years ago

That's the US Army I take it? I'd no idea it was quite so high. So, like yourself and Vex have mentioned, it would make sense to have female military personnel involved. I have a pal in the Air Corps here in Ireland so I'm looking forward to pulling on some of her experiences.

Quote from: Maeve on September 18, 2015, 11:48:04 AM
That sounds great to me. It's up to you whether you want to be part of the group already, hell, that would be the origin story of the crazy waif, or if you want to be a lone wolf that stumbles across the message. Could be she's the protector for the teenage girl, maybe her older sister, or she was the leader for another group of survivors that were slowly decimated. It's up to you, but I would love to have the counterbalance to Charlotte who while she's strong, is not army strong.

As to all the other thoughts, I will hopefully answer them tonight. The weather is killing me and making it hard to concentrate, I wish it would just be autumn already.

I'm so glad you liked the concept, Maeve. There are a few directions I could take the character and, depending on what kind male personalities we get for the game, I could completely flip the script and have her assume the more villainous role if needs be. Perhaps she orchestrated the idea in order to ensure her own safety? Perhaps she had the foresight to put the plan in place when she realised that it might only be a matter of time before a few of the less "wholesome" members of her company would turn on her?

Alternatively, she could be the outsider, either looking for Vex's young teenager or accompanying her (pending Vex's interest/okay, of course!). She could find the whole situation completely vile, but finds herself in a very awkward position when it appears that the young 16 year old is seemingly open to the arrangement, or has snared the attention of one of the soldiers.

To sum up, she can be whatever the game needs her to be. Also, seconded all of Vex's questions on AU setting and timeline.

And feel better soon.

Vex

Quote from: Maeve on September 18, 2015, 11:48:04 AM

Been there. That was a good portion of the slowdown in my posts over the last month, personally. Rest assured that Fall is just around the corner, and hopefully, the shorter days will make things a little more comfortable in that avenue. In the mean time, do feel free to take your time with that. I'm in no hurry to get things started, and I suspect the other applicants aren't either.  :-)

Quote from: kckolbe on September 18, 2015, 12:12:01 PM
By the way, I got a pm from blue bunny sparkle that she will have to drop due to time constraints.  Just a heads up.

A shame to hear, though I suppose that does bring the number of female applicants more to Maeve's expressed interests. I hope you weren't far along in developing your character with her, if just to save you the stress. It can be quite frustrating to scrap a concept you were getting attached to.

If you wanted to stick with a similar concept, I wouldn't mind at all attaching a similar character to the teenager, perhaps as an older family member, like a brother, father, uncle, or even just as a family friend. I rather like the idea that my character has been protected along this catastrophe, treated as a kid by her guardian all along. It would help provide a reasonable background for her to actually volunteer to "do her part", as it's part an effort to show she doesn't have to be treated as helpless, and part an expression of her guilt for being so dependent up until this point. I think having a character on board that has an inborn protective streak about her and emphasizes her "innocence" would make the concept all the more interesting.

It's just an offer, though. Please, don't feel obligated to take it. You've had plenty of great ideas thusfar, so if you've got another one cooking up there, by all means. I'll be interested to see where you go regardless.

Quote from: Aurai on September 18, 2015, 04:17:32 PM
Thanks so much, Vex! There are so many different tacks I could take with her personality and circumstances. I'm really looking forward to answering all of those questions.

Just calling it like I see it. I'm actually a little jealous I didn't come up with the idea myself. It's a solid avenue to explore, it's really sensible, and fits perfectly with the complicated relationships dynamic Maeve had in mind.

Quote from: Aurai on September 18, 2015, 04:17:32 PMThat's the US Army I take it? I'd no idea it was quite so high. So, like yourself and Vex have mentioned, it would make sense to have female military personnel involved. I have a pal in the Air Corps here in Ireland so I'm looking forward to pulling on some of her experiences.

To be fair, I don't think it's quite that high. A quick Google search on the matter produces a number closer to what kckolbe stated, as the U.S Army's own website cites this number. The divisions between the branches are interesting, though. For the Air Force and Reserves, it's about 20%, but for the Marines, it's barely above 5%.

Not to say arthenwell is wrong or making that up, of course. I just don't know where that 40% figure comes from. If it's from his own experience at boot camp, then it's likely anecdotal, but would make for an interesting experience, I'm sure. I am curious to see how the military fares with a gender split more representative of the general population. Although, if it's a true statistic, I'd be curious to see where that is as well, but perhaps it's a bit outside the perview of what we need for this game. After all, even if we took the lower figure of 15%, that still works out to 1 female military member for every 6 or 7 male service member. That certainly works for our purposes as well.

Quote from: Aurai on September 18, 2015, 04:17:32 PMI'm so glad you liked the concept, Maeve. There are a few directions I could take the character and, depending on what kind male personalities we get for the game, I could completely flip the script and have her assume the more villainous role if needs be. Perhaps she orchestrated the idea in order to ensure her own safety? Perhaps she had the foresight to put the plan in place when she realised that it might only be a matter of time before a few of the less "wholesome" members of her company would turn on her?

Alternatively, she could be the outsider, either looking for Vex's young teenager or accompanying her (pending Vex's interest/okay, of course!). She could find the whole situation completely vile, but finds herself in a very awkward position when it appears that the young 16 year old is seemingly open to the arrangement, or has snared the attention of one of the soldiers.

Well, I certainly wouldn't mind having her attached to my teenager. But honestly, I think the female soldier concept's most interesting dynamic is how she relates to the male company members, not particularly to the "civilians", so to speak. Not that we can't include her to have complex relationships with the other females, naturally, but I think that deserves the highest focus for her, so, if I might be so bold, I'd suggest making her an original member of the company. It would be interesting to see her with a leadership position of sorts, although she doesn't necessarily have to be the one in charge. Having her be the one who came up with the idea would be a neat twist, but I think we should wait and see what personalities emerge before claiming the one responsible for it. 

kckolbe

Actually, we hadn't really started at all, so nothing major was lost.  I'll PM you about a connection after this.

As for the military ratio, the main reason it's so high is that the DoD still doesn't put females in direct combat roles, though the definition of indirect is evolving.  The Air Force (which I've been in since 2001), being the most removed from combat, has the highest percentage of women because it creates less of a "flexibility" issue personnel-wise, and women are more likely to consider it due to a higher average living standard.  Within the military, the highest percentages for female members are medical, personnel, and intel. 

So Aurai's char could be something very rare, and a real game-changer.  Of course, that needn't concern dyed in the wool sexists, as they could simply hold onto the idea that standards were lowered for her character, as that possibility is a frequent topic in the military. 

Intro Thread

arthenwel

Quote from: Aurai on September 18, 2015, 04:17:32 PM
That's the US Army I take it? I'd no idea it was quite so high. So, like yourself and Vex have mentioned, it would make sense to have female military personnel involved. I have a pal in the Air Corps here in Ireland so I'm looking forward to pulling on some of her experiences.

Actually, I was US Navy, but that hardly matters.

Maeve

Quote from: Vex on September 17, 2015, 02:15:50 AM
Indeed. It is as Nicholas and kckolbe say. I wouldn't suggest anything against this site's policies, nor would kckolbe, I assume. Sixteen is within the E's rules, and while I'd be sitting at the edge with that concept, I'm certainly not going to do anything to push those boundaries. I'm not that daring.

But, the rules aren't everything. Beyond that, I'm not looking to many anyone uncomfortable. So, if you, or any other player, are uncomfortable with the idea, even though it's within the rules, I'm more than happy to ditch that concept for something more accommodating. I'm sure I can find another concept that works for everyone, if that's the case.

Yeah, I've that experience with teens too. Damn brats think they know everything, and then are repeatedly surprised by just how much they don't.  ::) I'm hoping for a fairly reasonable portrayal, though. Sure, throws some chaos into things with her occasional outbursts, but never gets too ridiculous. She may blow things out of proportion or downplay things that need some attention, but she isn't delusional or making things up out of nothing. I'm looking a confused, scared girl who's doing the best to learn in a world gone-tipsy turvy while she's still trying to find her place in it, not a completely egotistical drama-queen (although she might come off as that to certain characters). No idea if I can actually pull that off, if people are interested, I'll try.

And I hope it's not just the women who have some complex feelings about her. She can be an interesting conflict for the men as well, some of who can be just as protective as the women when it comes to young people. Of course, others won't care, and will treat her the same as any other woman. Some might even have less patience for her. It'll be fascinating to see where everyone lies on that matter, and more importantly, why they do. I think their rationale behind it can say a lot about how they see societal order (both the old and the new) and people as a whole.

I didn't want to suggest you would, honestly it was to correct my own ignorance. I'd heard 16 bandied about for other stories and wasn't sure if Elliquiy didn't have a strict age and if 16  was a gentleman's agreement or if it was in writing. For my part I don't mind. I think it could add some interesting layers. Might put Charlotte in a position where she begins to question her own situation and how more control she really has.

Maeve

Quote from: kckolbe on September 17, 2015, 09:47:38 PM
Been posting from my phone, finally done with the brutal part of my schedule for a couple of days.  Vex, I am definitely interested in seeing your take on a teenage char.  Likewise, I really like Aurai's concept as well.  I feel like both can cause significant discord by just existing in an environment like this.  While 4 females is more than Maeve probably wanted, each one really appears to offer something different to the relationship dynamic.  With the gender ratio shifting, the initial agreement might need to shift, perhaps with Charlotte having offered the bargain, though this only works if there is no crazy waif (and it seems there won't be).

What are you thinking, Maeve?

Actually four females was my max. You may be right in 6-12 soldiers being a tall order, however not all of those males have to be active characters. I like your idea about always recruiting. That way if someone wants to play a soldier that's always been there that route is available, or should we need a certain type of character for a plot line or a death we something to mine from. As to the gender ratio shifting...well that opens up another possibility. Any cult leader (well a good chunk of them anyway) will tell you that you need to get rid of all the males. Maybe with the number of women increasing there's one guy that thinks he should just kill his fellow soldiers and set himself up with a Harem.

Maeve

Quote from: Vex on September 17, 2015, 11:03:29 PM
I'm glad you like my take on the concept, but I suppose that's more your idea than it was mine. Still, I appreciate it, and I look forward to seeing what you and b.b sparkle do with your siblings idea.

I suppose we are filling up on the female side, yes. Four females might be a tad more than Maeve wanted. I wouldn't mind dropping out if need be, to better fit her vision of the story, but I think I like Aurai's female soldier idea is a more interesting dynamic to explore, if we're comparing the two as characters who might had been with the group of men before Charlotte's inclusion.

I'll work on the concept as soon as I can. But, in the mean time, I had a couple of questions about the setting, if you wouldn't mind, Maeve. I take it this mansion is in the United States? I know the Humane Society is primarily based there, but you did say this was a 28 Days Later AU, and that takes place in the U.K.. Just wanted to be sure, as I often include regional aspects to my characters. If it's in the U.S., did you have an idea of where it would be? Like a State or a general region of the country?

Once again, I know this is a 28 Days Later AU, but is this actually taking place 28 days after the outbreak (I'll admit, I feel a little silly asking that  :P ). Just want to understand the time-frame I have to account for.

Does this take place sometime this year, in 2015? Again, I hate to keep bringing up the series, but that was released over a decade ago. Technology has changed quite a bit since 2003, as has political events, international issues, and the psyche of the quite a few countries (public perception on homosexuality, for instance).

Lastly, more meta, but how much focus do you think will be given to survival elements or fighting zombies in this game? I get that the central focus will be on the relationships of the survivors and the unusual arrangement that's been made in this fledgling society of survivors, but how much do you see our characters dealing with the hostile environment that forced them into this position? Just more of a curiosity, as for what to expect.

All good questions. When I said an AU I didn't have much of preference on location honestly. However since Arthenwel set his character in the USA, I am more than happy to have it set in America. Now that being said I would still like them to be on a big property, either a compound out in the Rockies or an Eastern estate, like the Biltmore Mansion. I am going to leave that up to a vote whether everyone would like to go east or west.

Not necessarily 28 days after the outbreak. In fact lets set it a tad later, without the military support you find in the film. I'm comfortable with it being six months to a year after. I don't want the pre-zombie world to be too far out of memory. I still want it to be all a little surreal for everyone. I also don't want enough time for alot of survivors to have contacted each other, new cities to spring up, or a generation of children to have no memories of a world without zombies. I also want an element of fear. What happened if the world goes back to normal? Will everyone be judged for what they did to survive?

For sanity's sake, lets set it in 2015.

Finally, I'm hoping quite a bit. I'm thinking a lot of that will be gm events. Of course, these events will be catalysts to see how the relationships change. Will you find strange allies if suddenly food supplies run low? Will friendships dissolve because they failed to save another survivor? Will one of the woman prove her mettle killing an infected and force the men to see her as more than just a bed warmer?

If you have any other questions, please post them. I am happy to answer all.

Lissadell

Quote from: Vex on September 18, 2015, 05:40:52 PMJust calling it like I see it. I'm actually a little jealous I didn't come up with the idea myself. It's a solid avenue to explore, it's really sensible, and fits perfectly with the complicated relationships dynamic Maeve had in mind.

To be fair, I don't think it's quite that high. A quick Google search on the matter produces a number closer to what kckolbe stated, as the U.S Army's own website cites this number. The divisions between the branches are interesting, though. For the Air Force and Reserves, it's about 20%, but for the Marines, it's barely above 5%.

Not to say arthenwell is wrong or making that up, of course. I just don't know where that 40% figure comes from. If it's from his own experience at boot camp, then it's likely anecdotal, but would make for an interesting experience, I'm sure. I am curious to see how the military fares with a gender split more representative of the general population. Although, if it's a true statistic, I'd be curious to see where that is as well, but perhaps it's a bit outside the perview of what we need for this game. After all, even if we took the lower figure of 15%, that still works out to 1 female military member for every 6 or 7 male service member. That certainly works for our purposes as well.

It definitely works for our purposes, and I'm really pleased that even taking the lower figure of 15%, like you suggested, gives us a ratio of 6/7:1. I always feel better when character concepts are somewhat realistic. I love a bit of realism amongst the highly irregular. With regard to divisions and branches I'm not entirely set on what kind of military background I'll be giving her, but I've a fair amount of research to do for her yet. And thank you for the figures; they've given me a lot to ponder.  ;D

Quote from: Vex on September 18, 2015, 05:40:52 PMWell, I certainly wouldn't mind having her attached to my teenager. But honestly, I think the female soldier concept's most interesting dynamic is how she relates to the male company members, not particularly to the "civilians", so to speak. Not that we can't include her to have complex relationships with the other females, naturally, but I think that deserves the highest focus for her, so, if I might be so bold, I'd suggest making her an original member of the company. It would be interesting to see her with a leadership position of sorts, although she doesn't necessarily have to be the one in charge. Having her be the one who came up with the idea would be a neat twist, but I think we should wait and see what personalities emerge before claiming the one responsible for it.

I would be inclined to agree with your suggestion that we wait and see what other types of characters might crawl out from beneath their rocks. At the moment most interested parties seem to be swinging around the morally "grey" area, but naturally that could change. Even if I was to go the route of her being comfortable with all of the arrangements, that could certainly change with the arrival of a minor. It would be a contradiction of sorts, but then, people usually are, and not everyone's moral compass points north consistently.

I'm pretty sold on the idea of her being an original member of the company now, too. I think you're right, it makes the most sense to me considering what we've been discussing. Cheers for that, and if I may add, I'm very much looking forward to RPing with you and all of these interesting folks.

Quote from: kckolbe on September 18, 2015, 06:08:09 PM
Actually, we hadn't really started at all, so nothing major was lost.  I'll PM you about a connection after this.

As for the military ratio, the main reason it's so high is that the DoD still doesn't put females in direct combat roles, though the definition of indirect is evolving.  The Air Force (which I've been in since 2001), being the most removed from combat, has the highest percentage of women because it creates less of a "flexibility" issue personnel-wise, and women are more likely to consider it due to a higher average living standard.  Within the military, the highest percentages for female members are medical, personnel, and intel. 

So Aurai's char could be something very rare, and a real game-changer.  Of course, that needn't concern dyed in the wool sexists, as they could simply hold onto the idea that standards were lowered for her character, as that possibility is a frequent topic in the military.

This will add another dimension to her interactions with the other soldiers, too. Sexism is inherent as both a concept and a reality within this game. I mean, the female roles and boundaries have been set for the women in this group; they have domestic caretaker roles and would be expected by many to pretty much spread 'em on demand. In addition to that, there may be military personnel that believe a woman has no place serving in certain situations alongside them, which adds even more possible contention. Is she expected by others to serve the group as a woman, as a soldier, or both? Lots to think about, thank you!

Quote from: arthenwel on September 18, 2015, 06:17:32 PM
Actually, I was US Navy, but that hardly matters.

Like your char. Which is pretty cool, you've experience to draw upon.

Quote from: Maeve on September 19, 2015, 08:19:44 PMFinally, I'm hoping quite a bit. I'm thinking a lot of that will be gm events. Of course, these events will be catalysts to see how the relationships change. Will you find strange allies if suddenly food supplies run low? Will friendships dissolve because they failed to save another survivor? Will one of the woman prove her mettle killing an infected and force the men to see her as more than just a bed warmer?

That just sounds like all kinds of brilliant fun.

kckolbe

Quote from: Maeve on September 18, 2015, 10:10:48 PM
As to the gender ratio shifting...well that opens up another possibility. Any cult leader (well a good chunk of them anyway) will tell you that you need to get rid of all the males. Maybe with the number of women increasing there's one guy that thinks he should just kill his fellow soldiers and set himself up with a Harem.

Well this is a disturbing thought.  So, right now we have arthenwel as our lone submitted male char, along with 3 interesting female concepts.  I'm strongly considering a second character, something I almost never do, but I really appreciate "being heard" in the coordination here, so I do want to help your vision get realized.

The primary char would be someone close to Vex's char, still plotting that out.  The second would be a technician of sorts in the military, enlisted, so he won't be a higher ranking one.  He'll be a vocal follower of the sex-driven roles.

Quote from: Aurai on September 19, 2015, 09:22:11 PM
With regard to divisions and branches I'm not entirely set on what kind of military background I'll be giving her, but I've a fair amount of research to do for her yet. And thank you for the figures; they've given me a lot to ponder.  ;D

This will add another dimension to her interactions with the other soldiers, too. Sexism is inherent as both a concept and a reality within this game. I mean, the female roles and boundaries have been set for the women in this group; they have domestic caretaker roles and would be expected by many to pretty much spread 'em on demand. In addition to that, there may be military personnel that believe a woman has no place serving in certain situations alongside them, which adds even more possible contention. Is she expected by others to serve the group as a woman, as a soldier, or both? Lots to think about, thank you!

Discrimination is a really touchy subject in the Department of Defense.  Right now there is the catchy "zero tolerance" for it, but men and women have different fitness standards, and only men are required to register for the draft.  If your char is gay/bi, then it is only within the past 5 years she was allowed to publicly state it.  Feel free to ask any cultural questions, though I should note that while I've been an operational flyer and intel analyst, I've never been "in the shit," so am not much help there.

Quote from: Maeve on September 19, 2015, 08:19:44 PM
I would still like them to be on a big property, either a compound out in the Rockies or an Eastern estate, like the Biltmore Mansion. I am going to leave that up to a vote whether everyone would like to go east or west.

Not necessarily 28 days after the outbreak. In fact lets set it a tad later, without the military support you find in the film. I'm comfortable with it being six months to a year after. I don't want the pre-zombie world to be too far out of memory. I still want it to be all a little surreal for everyone. I also don't want enough time for alot of survivors to have contacted each other, new cities to spring up, or a generation of children to have no memories of a world without zombies. I also want an element of fear. What happened if the world goes back to normal? Will everyone be judged for what they did to survive?

For sanity's sake, lets set it in 2015.

Finally, I'm hoping quite a bit. I'm thinking a lot of that will be gm events. Of course, these events will be catalysts to see how the relationships change. Will you find strange allies if suddenly food supplies run low? Will friendships dissolve because they failed to save another survivor? Will one of the woman prove her mettle killing an infected and force the men to see her as more than just a bed warmer?

If you have any other questions, please post them. I am happy to answer all.

I have no clue on property.  Maybe if there are certain properties you would like to see considered, we could put a bunch of them in a post and vote on them?  Ideally buildings with viewable floor plans.

GM events are a must.  In addition to zombie attacks, the group will need to restock ammo and consumables.  Not sure how electricity will work, as we don't know how much damage has been done to the infrastructure. 

Intro Thread

Vex

Quote from: Maeve on September 19, 2015, 08:19:44 PM
All good questions. When I said an AU I didn't have much of preference on location honestly. However since Arthenwel set his character in the USA, I am more than happy to have it set in America. Now that being said I would still like them to be on a big property, either a compound out in the Rockies or an Eastern estate, like the Biltmore Mansion. I am going to leave that up to a vote whether everyone would like to go east or west.

I can't say I entirely know what you're talking about. I'm familiar with the Rockies, but how far East, exactly? Like, East Coast? Because that's quite different terrain than the Rockies. I'm not sure I have a particular preference between the two at the moment, but that aside, I'm comfortable with it being an American location.

Quote from: Maeve on September 19, 2015, 08:19:44 PMNot necessarily 28 days after the outbreak. In fact lets set it a tad later, without the military support you find in the film. I'm comfortable with it being six months to a year after. I don't want the pre-zombie world to be too far out of memory. I still want it to be all a little surreal for everyone. I also don't want enough time for alot of survivors to have contacted each other, new cities to spring up, or a generation of children to have no memories of a world without zombies. I also want an element of fear. What happened if the world goes back to normal? Will everyone be judged for what they did to survive?

Hmmm..well, I agree a month in is too soon for those developments, but doesn't six months seem a bit long for people to still be wandering around aimlessly? While cities springing up in six months seems unlikely, but there could very well be small settlements. I think, by the sixth month point, most people who are still alive have had to accept it to a degree. If you want most people to have a hopeful wondering whether this would all go away, I think maybe two or three months or so would be more appropraite. But, it's not like I'm an expert. It's just my take.

Quote from: Maeve on September 19, 2015, 08:19:44 PMFinally, I'm hoping quite a bit. I'm thinking a lot of that will be gm events. Of course, these events will be catalysts to see how the relationships change. Will you find strange allies if suddenly food supplies run low? Will friendships dissolve because they failed to save another survivor? Will one of the woman prove her mettle killing an infected and force the men to see her as more than just a bed warmer?

Thanks for clarifying that. It does sound promising! I do like my games with a fair amount of variety and complications. Granted, going out and killing infected isn't likely something most of the women in this game are going to do, but it's still nice to see different challenges being thrown at the group. It helps reflect the desperation and difficulty of their arrangement. Besides, not only do the guys need to go out and prove their mettle, but the gals need the occasional reminder of why it's still likely better sticking around and letting these guys use them than to take their chances on their own outside.

Quote from: Maeve on September 19, 2015, 08:19:44 PMIf you have any other questions, please post them. I am happy to answer all.

Glad to hear it! A couple more, if you don't mind.

I've heard you mention zombies a few times. Even though the series sorta spawned the idea of the sprinting zombie, the original series didn't technically use zombies, per say. The Rage Virus merely made it's victims mindlessly violent. They aren't undead. They die just as easily as any person does, if they were recklessly and obsessively concerned with killing others and nothing else. They didn't eat people, or anything, for that matter. Funnily enough, that's what eventually ends the outbreak, when the current Infected just starve to death, because they never take the time to eat. They're slightly smarter than zombies, and can figure out things like ladders, doors and aiming for a moving target, but they're probably more self-destructive their ways too.

So, just to clarify, are these zombies? Or infected? I don't mind either, really, I just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page here.

Secondly, to reference the movie once more (probably the last time I'll do that, I swear  :P ), the original soldiers weren't just interested in having fun with the girls. To the contrary, it almost seemed like fun wasn't really part of it (although, it was for at least one of them). Rather, what they wanted women for was for "hope", to assure a possible future for the men. Meaning, children. Is that part of what you see this group is after as well? Or is it purely for entertainment/release/sanity? Even if it's just the latter, I have to imagine they have to think about how to avoid it, at least. Securing prophylactics could be an interesting goal, right along with water, power, or food.

RedEve

Is the crazy waif role taken? Also, would they still require her to fuck soldiers after Charlotte and the other women have arrived?
I mean, at least some of the men would be weirded out by her mental state, right?

As for the male to female ratio, you definitely need a lot more men than women for the core concept of this game to work.
That does not mean that all male characters need to be PCs. Just fill out the roster with NPCs until you get 12+ soldiers.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

arthenwel

Just so you know, my character may be a bit stand-offish in the beginning. At least until someone brings him out of his shell.

Vex

Quote from: Aurai on September 19, 2015, 09:22:11 PM
It definitely works for our purposes, and I'm really pleased that even taking the lower figure of 15%, like you suggested, gives us a ratio of 6/7:1. I always feel better when character concepts are somewhat realistic. I love a bit of realism amongst the highly irregular. With regard to divisions and branches I'm not entirely set on what kind of military background I'll be giving her, but I've a fair amount of research to do for her yet. And thank you for the figures; they've given me a lot to ponder.  ;D

Glad to be of help, but really, it's your idea. I'm just adding some toppings and flavorings to your ice cream bowl, really.  :P

Quote from: Aurai on September 19, 2015, 09:22:11 PMI would be inclined to agree with your suggestion that we wait and see what other types of characters might crawl out from beneath their rocks. At the moment most interested parties seem to be swinging around the morally "grey" area, but naturally that could change. Even if I was to go the route of her being comfortable with all of the arrangements, that could certainly change with the arrival of a minor. It would be a contradiction of sorts, but then, people usually are, and not everyone's moral compass points north consistently.

I'm pretty sold on the idea of her being an original member of the company now, too. I think you're right, it makes the most sense to me considering what we've been discussing. Cheers for that, and if I may add, I'm very much looking forward to RPing with you and all of these interesting folks.

Right back at you. It sounds really promising, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with concept. Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you have any.  :-)

Quote from: kckolbe on September 19, 2015, 10:24:30 PM
Well this is a disturbing thought.  So, right now we have arthenwel as our lone submitted male char, along with 3 interesting female concepts.  I'm strongly considering a second character, something I almost never do, but I really appreciate "being heard" in the coordination here, so I do want to help your vision get realized.

The primary char would be someone close to Vex's char, still plotting that out.  The second would be a technician of sorts in the military, enlisted, so he won't be a higher ranking one.  He'll be a vocal follower of the sex-driven roles.

Well, arthenwel is the only one who's submitted a character, period. Most of us are just working with concepts. But along with the three females (four now, I suppose), you've got one or two male characters coming, and Cabalxxvi has expressed interest in making a male character as well. He just wasn't sure what, seeing as he wanted to play something different. Speaking to him, he's more than welcome to ask for assistance in coming up with a concept, if he feels like it.

But, indeed. I'm working with kckolbe, and things are going swimmingly, if I may say so. I hope we'll be able to show you all what we've come up with fairly soon.

Quote from: kckolbe on September 19, 2015, 10:24:30 PMGM events are a must.  In addition to zombie attacks, the group will need to restock ammo and consumables.  Not sure how electricity will work, as we don't know how much damage has been done to the infrastructure.

I'm not sure damage has to be done, per say. Infrastructure falls apart fairly quickly without regular maintenance. I've heard it said that, should a cataclysmic event were to happen and they weren't regularly tended to, most of the running water, power, and sewage facilities would cease functioning within a month, and the latter making most urban areas virtually uninhabitable. Similarly, gasoline dries up fairly quickly, and chances are, any gas that wasn't properly stored would lose it's potency as a fuel source within weeks. So, if we're going with a realistic approach a few months into this disaster, as I understand it, our characters have been living off a low-tech manner for a while now.

That said, that doesn't mean we can't have those amenities. This mansion has it's own private generator, and happens to be near a river, for instance. With the proper equipment and structures, that could provide some method of having some comforts. That could provide a need for more fuel, filters, and other regular maintenance aspects.

Or, perhaps that's a mystery in and of itself. Why is the power and water running in the nearby village? Maybe that's for us to find out!

Quote from: RedEve on September 21, 2015, 11:54:15 AM
Is the crazy waif role taken? Also, would they still require her to fuck soldiers after Charlotte and the other women have arrived?
I mean, at least some of the men would be weirded out by her mental state, right?

As for the male to female ratio, you definitely need a lot more men than women for the core concept of this game to work.
That does not mean that all male characters need to be PCs. Just fill out the roster with NPCs until you get 12+ soldiers.

I believe the Crazy Waif is available, although there's some question about whether it was being replaced with the female soldier concept. But, I suppose both are possible to have together. I'm fairly sure she would be expected to hold up to her obligations, even with Charlotte and my teenager. If anything, that just means we share the burden, and it's not all thrust upon one person to handle anymore, but not excusing any of them from "service". In the soldier's mind, I imagine they're doing they're helping the females out by giving them a safe place, free of infected and degenerates, so the females should show their appreciation. I don't think anyone gets a pass on this. Everyone has to do their part to keep this thing running, so to speak. But, the males have more options with more women around, and could decide to visit more well-adjusted women if they prefer.

As for if the soldiers would get weirded out...well, it depends on what kind of issue she has. I mean, talking as a student of psychology, everyone's a little insane in some respects, and do something that is probably quite irrational, if you sit back and think about it. It's just a question of whether one's particular brand of insanity is enough to keep them from living a fulfilling life. If not, it's not really something society needs to concern itself with. If so, then something needs to be done for them. Most people who are "insane" are reasonably functional. But some, obviously, are not. So, it really depends on what kind of issue she has, and that's really up to the player to decide. If she's just mute and an extreme doormat, some soldiers might find a little off-putting, but others might enjoy it. If she has a tendency to laugh maniacally and stab herself, then yeah, that's a little more disturbing.

You're right about the male-to-female ratio, though. I do believe Maeve intends to fill a few of those roles to NPCs, so she can have the catalysts she needs for certain plots and dynamics. But, we'll see if we can't attract a couple more PCs to help fill that out a bit more.

Quote from: arthenwel on September 21, 2015, 12:14:17 PM
Just so you know, my character may be a bit stand-offish in the beginning. At least until someone brings him out of his shell.

No worries. I imagine a lot of our characters are going to be fairly awkward with one another in the early going. It's a lot to get adjusted to, both for the men and the women. But I suspect even those who have reservations and objections to the current scheme might eventually get some measure of comfort with it, and get acquainted with the people around them. The current arrangement might seem quite harsh, but I imagine few, if any, of those around are true sociopaths. Most are fairly normal people, trying to survive and stay sane in the face of horrific circumstances. Eventually, if things get steady, that humanity will peak out again, even if the transition is pretty difficult.