Suggestion for a fundraiser

Started by Cynadea, August 12, 2015, 01:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cynadea

I was talking to the child of a relative of mine and he explained to me that he had to raise funds for his basketball team so that the tournaments don't cost so much to the parents. As he explained to me how it works, I thought that it could be applied here, on E.

We basically took the engagement to pay him a dollar per kilometers he's able to run, up to 20 (that's the length of the circuit, but the kids are allowed to drop out anytime when they get too tired)

That got me thinking how we could do this kind of "marathon" on E, to help with the budget. I don't know if it's been done before but here's what I came up with:

You pick a set time, for the sake of the example let's say September.  Between September 1 and 30, the volunteers have to write a story. They encourage the bidders by giving a small blurb of their story, and set a goal amount of words that they think they can achieve during September.

People would give donations based on the amount of words, for example someone could bid $1 per 1000 words, up to $20 for a story who's volunteer think they can crank 20k words during that month on that particular story.  The stories would be posted in the storytelling forum (maybe in a temporary subforum so that all the "marathons" are easy to track when time comes to compile). During the first week of October, words would be counted and donations collected.

If you do this in November, people might use their Nanowrimo novel for the marathon.  I know I would... Regardless of the month, though, I would volunteer.

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

Rogue

jouzinka

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Vekseid

This is basically what 141 Words was. I'm still stuck on 20,000 words in my own story >_>

I've really shied away from fundraisers that require commitments. Life has a way of happening. : /

Cynadea

The 141 was different. It was fun too. I was a part of it and delivered what was paid for. The amount of pledges were predetermined, paid upfront, and most of them were for some privilege or the other regarding the story. In this case, people who would take the pledge, would have to pay when the determined time is up and the amount would be based on how much a writer has written. Not about naming a place, or a character, the opportunity to see the story before it's posted for everyone to see, etc.

In the end, the decision is yours, of course. I thought this would be a good way to bring a bit of income to your budget.

Beguile's Mistress

It operates like the Walk-a-Thon or Read-a-Thon.  Sponsors pledge an amount for the number of miles/laps a walker walks or the number of book a reader reads.

Nowherewoman

If this happens, poke me. I always work better with some sort of rigid deadline.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

AmberStarfire

If you do end up running this, I'd be willing to take part. I need all of the added motivation/encouragement to write that I can get.

Peripherie

I guess if commitments are an issue one way to help is to have pledgers give a minimum amount at the start of the fundraiser. (Say $10 to avoid all those fee from paypal/patreon). And then pledge depending on how much someone writes. That way, regardless of whether the person writes or whether the pledger stays active the money is already donated.
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

jouzinka

Thread hijack

I ADORE your avatar, Peri.

/thread hijack
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Peripherie

Quote from: jouzinka on August 16, 2015, 03:37:34 PM
Thread hijack

I ADORE your avatar, Peri.

/thread hijack

Aww, thanks. I have loved this one for a while just hadn't used it lately. :)
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Cynadea

It's been two weeks since the last comment.

I'd be willing to work to set this up and see how much money it can get E if I have the ok and support from Staff.

AmberStarfire

I'm still keeping an eye on this thread too and I'm willing to help with it.

Beguile's Mistress

You might want to PM a formal request to Staff so they understand this is a specific request.  It would be a good idea to have an outline of rules for the fundraiser ready for their review.

Cynadea