You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

January 18, 2018, 07:26:20 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Miniature painting  (Read 10224 times)

Offline BeorningTopic starter

Miniature painting
« on: August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM »
Continuing the discussion from the WH40K thread! :)

Guys, thanks for posting all your recent minis. They look very cool! The Gorax is my favourite, admittedly. Very nice details!

I have a question, guys: how do I make a wash from a regular acrylic paint? I've heard that you can do with water and liquid soap?

BTW. What is Hordes? Is it expensive? Some of the critters look very cool :)

Offline eBadger

Re: Miniature painting
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »
BTW. What is Hordes? Is it expensive? Some of the critters look very cool :)

Hordes is a sister game to Warmachine; it's nearly the same game with a couple different rules and a focus on monsters instead of robots.  The major tournaments don't differentiate and it's really more like the split between chaos and imperium in 40k, with each of those categories including several factions. 

"Expensive" is subjective, but it's comparable to other miniatures games like Warmachine, Age of Sigmar or 40k. 

Offline Dhi

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 10:34:06 AM »
Hello!

I have a tried and true formula for making washes. It takes about a $20 investment of materials and two dropper bottles like the ones Reaper Master Series and Vallejo paints come in.

The first bottle is 50% water and 50% Liquitex matte medium. This is a standard ratio for painting with matte medium, which is used to give paint translucency without losing color. It helps the wash to not conceal the color you're trying to shade.

The second bottle is 90% water and 10% Future floor polish (or Pledge with Future). Future is an acrylic finish useful for breaking surface tension, and it helps the wash to flow into all the crevices rather than pooling on the surfaces of your miniature.

I'll put down 1 drop of my wash color, 2 drops of the matte mix, and 4 drops of the Future mix. Sometimes if I'm using inks I'll add another 1 drop matte and 2 drops Future since ink is a very strong pigment and requires a little more to keep it from staining.

Hordes is a skirmish game where you play character warlocks who steer monstrous beasts, and usually a handful of other units. You can get one of the new plastic 15 point armies for around $20, and I believe includes quick start rules. An army for local tournaments will set you back more like $100. It's a companion game to Warmachine, where the monsters are instead steam mechas, and forces of the two sister games can battle one another.

The ladies I used to play Warmahordes with have since moved on to Malifaux, an even smaller scale skirmish game with greater emphasis on characters over units.Although I've painted some Malifaux minis, I find that I prefer Warmahordes. The monsters are neat and the sculpts are so high energy, I generally don't mind that it's a little more expensive and involves a little more samey unit painting.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »
Interesting! I wonder if there are any shops over here that carry these games...

Regarding washes: is there any way for me to make a wash right now, without buying anything? I've really seen a mention online that a wash can be made with liquid soap, but I can't find any details...

BTW. What the heck is a "medium", actually?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »
Medium in chemistry terms is an emulsion. The fine pigments of your paint are suspended in it. All paint has some, else the pigment would just flake off like weathering powder. Adding different kinds of medium can alter the properties of your paint, and what matte medium does is thin out the pigment without adding any cloudiness or shine.

The purpose of liquid soap would be to reduce surface tension, just like the Future polish. If you want to try it, I'd recommend the same 10:1 ratio of water to liquid soap and maybe 4-5 drops of that in your wash color. I have not used this technique before so I can't be precise with the numbers... it just sounds like the same concept. Without matte medium, you're going to essentially have your solid color pooling in the recesses, so the blends may not end up as smooth.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
Okay, so... I did some painting on a new Wych today. I decided to try out the method I used on the previous mini: paint-wash-repaint. I also tried thinning my paints.

Right now, the mini is drying up after shading. I ran out of steam, so I'll finish painting her tomorrow. We'll see how she works out...

BTW. I tried making a custom wash with water and soap. I'm not sure if the results are too great... hmmm.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
When you say liquid soap I assume what you're talking about is liquid dish soap, which is designed to prevent water rings by reducing surface tension of water. If you use like Dove hand soap, I think that's unlikely to have borax in it, and may have water hardeners rather than water softeners, giving you the opposite effect than intended.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 02:47:20 PM »
When you say liquid soap I assume what you're talking about is liquid dish soap, which is designed to prevent water rings by reducing surface tension of water. If you use like Dove hand soap, I think that's unlikely to have borax in it, and may have water hardeners rather than water softeners, giving you the opposite effect than intended.

*headdesk*

I... actually used the hand soap...

Offline Dhi

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 10:02:53 PM »
I'm sure you're not the only one! Soap is soap, right? But a soap with borax is going to give you slick, "wetter" water, while the hand soaps will give you goopy water, like what sticks around the drain when you're washing your hands.

Offline Kuroneko

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 01:56:41 PM »
A note on diluting paints.

Miniature paints are acrylics. Acrylic paints are made by combining an acrylic polymer emulsion and pigment, and they are water based. Every time you dilute them with water, you decrease the saturation, meaning you reduce the amount of pigment in the paint, which is what creates the wash effect. This also naturally decreases the surface tension of the paint because you are diluting the emulsion as well as the pigment. Pooling in the miniature's crevices are caused by using too much of the wash, and can be also be reduced by letting the wash set for a few seconds and blotting with a dry brush or by applying layers of color, which will build up a translucent layer of color for more realism. I don't like to add dish soap when I paint because it alters the chemistry of the paint, including the pH level and the lightfastness, and affects the overall archival quality in addition to altering color and drying time; but admittedly, I'm mostly working in fine art applications over miniatures where acidity is a concern. It's all about preference really and YMMV.

Acrylic paint is also inherently glossy by nature, although matte acrylics can be purchased. Diluting it with water or matte medium dulls the shine of the paint. If you want to retain the glossy look, diluting with gloss medium is preferable. Or, you can coat the final painted piece with a thin layer of gloss medium.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »
Archival quality is something I've wondered about when applying 3 coats of dullcote to ensure a paint job survives shipping. We don't really know whether dullcote might yellow or crack over decades of time or beyond our own lifetimes. There's an art academy here which in the 1970s would slather their museum pieces with linseed oil. Only some 30 years later was it discovered that this layer yellows as it ages, and restoring those yellowed paintings has been an expensive, ongoing effort.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 01:22:05 PM »
The new Wych:

I'm... not sure if thinning the paints caused any improvement. Although the metalic parts do look smoother...

Offline Kuroneko

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 05:05:38 PM »
Archival quality is something I've wondered about when applying 3 coats of dullcote to ensure a paint job survives shipping. We don't really know whether dullcote might yellow or crack over decades of time or beyond our own lifetimes. There's an art academy here which in the 1970s would slather their museum pieces with linseed oil. Only some 30 years later was it discovered that this layer yellows as it ages, and restoring those yellowed paintings has been an expensive, ongoing effort.

That's kind of odd to me that they would use linseed oil for that purpose, given that it's the oil used in oil paint since its invention (400+ years) and well known to yellow over time long before the 1970's. Heck, its natural color is yellow.

Longevity of acrylic varnishes and paints largely depends on the type and quality of the paint and varnish being used and whether the acrylic is solvent or water based. Unlike oil paints the surface of acrylic will always be soft and they attract dirt and dust, which can settle into the pores of the paint. Acrylic also becomes brittle if frozen and they soften when exposed to high temperatures, so storage is important. They can also be damaged by the pressure of a fingernail. On paintings, water soluble varnishes prove to be the best in creating long lasting finishes; the same should apply to miniatures, with consideration for the material beneath the paint. I often use spray acrylic sealers in costume craft applications, such as masks, armor and other applications, which often have unusual base materials such as thermoplastics and leather.

Rather than dullcote, if I were going for longevity I would probably use Liquitex Archival Permanent Spray Varnish in matte finish - http://www.liquitex.com/archivalpermanentvarnish/. It's hard when dry, non-yellowing and resistant to dirt. It also comes in a liquid form. Liquitex also makes removable, water soluble acrylic varnishes.

Though it may not be applicable to miniatures, this is one of my favorite articles on acrylic painting care from the Smithsonian - http://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/acrylic_paintings.html

Offline Thorne

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 07:43:39 PM »
Hm. I might have to try that for sealing minis, if I can get my hands on a can. I am sealing /nothing/ today, because it's raining outside. Good for things in general. Not so great for sealing anything.

So! I have finished minis.
Ms. Whitegnoll has her shield! I freehanded the shit out of that thing, and I don't care if close inspecting reveals flaws, because goddamnit, I made that thing /my own damn self/! That, friends and neighbors, is a gnoll-sized tower shield!
I'm pretty happy with both, and Bessie's new owner was all thrilled to bits when he saw the pics. So, all is well. I'm really pleased with his armor - that's a lot of bronze, and a little bit of armor-wash to give it some 'I use this!' cred. The bottle kind of splooged a little - I think I'm due a new piece of palette paper now. o.O

Now, to finish the skeleton army that's more or less visible in the background... >.>

that Wych looks pretty good, Beorning. You're really making progress.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 08:30:03 PM »
Liquitex varnish, huh? I'll give it a try, it's certainly less expensive than dullcote, and spraying here in the wind and rain is very difficult. I may even have some left over from other projects. One of the product reviews on Amazon says that when using it on a miniature, cloudy spots may occur if there's any pooling. It worries me a bit that it can't be thinned because there isn't a Liquitex product I'd use for miniatures without thinning first. It's thicker than miniature paints, which in turn are thinned for use on the miniatures.

But speaking of thinning paints, Beorning, that wych is definitely an improvement. The details are much more visible, now you just need some practice making them pop.

Thorne, that freehand is awesome!

Offline arkhos

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
I've been using Testor's Dullcoat spray (item 1960) since the early 90s, and still possess plenty of figs that I've used it on. No discoloration, and even the ones that I've used in games frequently show no wear or degradation. Of course, that could change next week. LOL. I usually give a finished fig 2-3 coats (letting it dry completely between coats) and I don't overdo each coat. It -can- cloud up your work if it's super hot/humid, something that makes a brush-on varnish attractive. But on days like that, I just wait a day or two until the weather changes and do all the spraying I need.

I've never considered 'long term' varnishing. The main thing for my tastes is that I -hate- 'glossy' looks, and demand a matte finish on my figs. There are exceptions, of course (slick-looking tentacles on some of my 'nids, alien mouths/jaws/tongues, etc), but in general, I avoid the gloss. It's not 'better', it's just a personal preference. I have on occasion hit a finished fig with a coat of the thicker gloss varnish, let it dry, then 1-2 coats of matte finish to tone down the shine. Some people claim that 'greatly increases' the protection factor of the paint, but I haven't dropped a bunch of figs to test that out! :)

-ark

Offline Kuroneko

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 02:20:22 AM »
Dhi, I've gotten my husband to use a variety of acrylic paints on his miniatures, especially Lumiere metallic acrylics. They were originally formulated for fabric, but all acrylic paint can be used on fabric. The nice thing is that they have real metal in them, so the colors are amazing, and they have a huge range of metal colors available. Liquitex and Dr. Ph Martin's also make some beautiful acrylic inks that are brilliant and transparent for lovely washes.   

Dullcote and Liquitex Spray varnish (matte or gloss) are very similar products. Looking at their MSDS sheets and ingredients, which are nearly identical, it's clear they're both spray enamel top coats (and consequently highly toxic). Dullcote also takes 48 hours to cure completely, which is a factor for multiple layers as well as longevity. Liquitex's liquid mediums and varnishes are entirely different products, water based and non-toxic. However, they can be put through an airbrush and used as a spray if a thin layer is desired. I'm not trying to push one product over another. I like having multiple options and products for my artwork - it's why I have different brands of paint, pencils and what have you. Sometimes one works better than the other for whatever reason.

I don't think glossy makes a difference on protection factor of paint. At least, I haven't seen it do so in all my years of professional art work. I have some pieces that are close to 30 years old that still look new, with both matte and glossy. I think it's just a matter of preference really. My husband uses multiple finishes on his WH40K depending on the surface texture he's trying to emulate, age and other factors, etc.

Anyhoo ... sorry for hijacking the thread ;)

Offline Dhi

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 03:53:09 AM »
The spray varnish is about the same price by ounce as I get dullcote locally, so I wouldn't say there's any benefit to switching to the spray product. Spraying the brush-on product through my airbrush is not a risk I'm willing to take right now. So I'm going to stick with dullcote for the moment, but keep in mind the Liquitex spray in case Testors stops manufacturing their spray or they start gouging for it.

Dr. Ph Martin inks are the brand I use for glazes and bold colors like gemstones. The brown ink is great for shading orange. I've had bad experiences with the brand's white ink, though... I don't know what's in it, but it's bad about gluing the lid shut and it has a bad odor. The yellow is also a very drab ochre, so I go with the P3 yellow ink, it's much more vibrant.

The layering gloss/matte varnish for greater protection is a technique I've heard before. I suspect it stems from products like Army Painter Quickshade, which is pretty much a wood varnish. Painters layer a matte over that because it's shiny enough to see your face in, so they're layering matte over gloss and getting marble-hard results. But, that's due to the Quickshade being a varnish you could step on in heels, not due to the layering.

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 03:50:18 PM »
Hey Thorne, I have a question: Bessie and Ms. Gnoll, how tall are they? Come to think about it, how tall are the typical Hordes minis?

And thanks for the kind words about the new Wych... I'm not sure she looks that great, but thanks :)

Offline Thorne

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 09:13:59 PM »
Hey Thorne, I have a question: Bessie and Ms. Gnoll, how tall are they? Come to think about it, how tall are the typical Hordes minis?

And thanks for the kind words about the new Wych... I'm not sure she looks that great, but thanks :)
You're welcome. ^^
As for height .. a little over two inches, I think. I haven't actually, y'know, taken a ruler and /measured/, so, I'm guessing. ^^;

Bessie would probably take a 2" base easily, although that one is intended to represent a medium-sized mini, and should be on a 1" base... oh well. The player wanted a minotaur. Minotaurs are usually Large. Krynnish Minotaurs? They're classed as medium-sized creatures. Thanks, guys...
Ms. Gnoll would actually fit a 1" base, barely.

As an example, that Absylonia mini? She's sitting a 2" base, she'd represent a Large creature. Granted, she's probably close to five inches tall, what with the tail and the wings and the way she's posed and all. Your Wyches and Sisters are what I think of as Medium creatures, and I'm willing to bet that most of them are on a 1" base. Does that help, or just completely confuse things?
(By the way? Yes. That WAS the mini I'd seen, and thank you for pointing me. She's too big for a succubus, but she would make a lovely half-dragon, and I might just scrounge one for said purpose!)

Offline eBadger

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 12:50:14 AM »
A few WM/H minis next to my old sisters (not many GW figures left around here).  The figures are on small 30mm/medium 40mm/large 50mm bases. 

eAbby is actually medium, not large.  Her torso is comparable to a GW mini's.  Pictured here without the wings on yet (letting the rest dry before tackling that pinning job) and I'm presently considering swapping the wings out for something slightly smaller (the middle set of wings from an angelius, pictured just behind her). 

Offline Thorne

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 02:34:16 AM »
Unrelated to pretty much all of this- anyone ever made use of this: http://www.firemountaingems.com/shop/kwcrafticeresin-jewelry-supplies - to enhance certain aspects of a miniature? Like .. I'unno .. doing a river or making it look like a given character is literally standing on a pool of water.. ?

I was thinking it might be effective with the barest touch of colour, on that Brain-in-a-Jar that Reaper's latest Bones Kickstarter is going to produce..?

Offline eBadger

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 02:48:06 AM »
I haven't explored it personally, but I've seen lots of minis based with water effects or resin:

spoiled due to size

It works well, although it does need some painting beneath it to give the illusion of depth and color; basically paint a much darker color than normal.  It also helps to hollow out bases and add a plastic bottom to give some real depth. 

Offline Dhi

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
I've use the Envirotex. It's tricky to get perfect because it needs to be de-gassed, it wants to climb the walls of whatever you pour it into, it takes up to 3 days to cure completely, and if dust settles on it or it ever gets lightly scuffed the illusion is ruined. Mixed with a single drop of ink for color, I had a pond-sized pool of this product crack apart due to the epoxy bond being weakened.

I got it to work alright but have had to go back and repair those surfaces because they get mysterious burrs. I wouldn't use epoxy for a water effect again, not at all.

Vallejo instead makes a series of water effects and textures which are acrylic gels. They dry quickly, remain reasonably flexible, can be cut without ruining the effect, aren't toxic like resins, and go for about the same price. This is a far safer alternative.

Offline greenknight

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
Vallejo instead makes a series of water effects and textures which are acrylic gels. They dry quickly, remain reasonably flexible, can be cut without ruining the effect, aren't toxic like resins, and go for about the same price. This is a far safer alternative.
Thank you. Now all I have to do is get my FLGS to order some.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 06:12:29 AM »
Hey eBadger, how did you put together your eZerkova unit? Did you pin, did you assemble before or after painting? Mine arrived in 15 teensy pieces and though I understand the advantages, I always groan when I receive pieces like this.

Especially Una the Falconer. Glue bird feet to bird ankles, are you kidding me? I will never be able to put that together.

Offline eBadger

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 02:34:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm never thrilled to get a bunch of tiny bits of metal.  Plastic isn't so bad, as it glues easier.  I'm looking forward to seeing them switch over to the new plastic, although there're still all the issues of Chinese manufacturing...blech. 

I use the greenstuff method (a light sheen of glue, a tiny dab of greenstuff - well, PP's version, but whatevers - and a light sheen of glue on the other piece).  It seemed to work well.  While there are a ton of bits, the mold quality was very good - better than most PP stuff - and they fit nicely, most into formed grooves with lots of surface area.  I believe I pinned the upper hand on each guard's axe, and Zerkova's arm absolutely needs serious pinning.  I don't think anything else is really required unless durability is really an issue. 

I assemble pretty much everything before painting.  My skill is humble anyways, and I firmly ascribe to the notion that if you can't get a paintbrush in there, nobody cares/that's what ink is for.   ;)

I look forward to seeing them!  I haven't done much of anything lately - more invested in writing.  And my next step is to magnetize a bunch of Everblight heavies, which is going to be a pain. 

Offline Dhi

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »
I'm not familiar with the greenstuff method. You're using a cyanoacrylate glue like Zap and solid greenstuff and letting them dry together?

Offline eBadger

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 02:45:52 AM »
Yeah, any sort of super glue should work; I currently use loctite gel for most things but in the past I used generic stuff from my old workplace.  The notion is to use a tiny amount of epoxy to fill in all the gaps and also provide a sticky bond to keep bits in place while the glue sets, preventing any movement.  It definitely forms much better bonds than just using glue and I use it for just about everything, just for simplicity.  It's not as good as pinning, though. 

Basically just do what I described: get both parts barely wet with glue, then place a very tiny amount of epoxy between them and glue as normal.  There shouldn't be enough epoxy to squeeze out around the edges (I use a razor blade to trim off slivers). 

Offline Dhi

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »
So far in 2016 I've painted fifteen miniatures. eZerkova has been about six months coming, and is now fifth on my list. In the interim I'm painting some Hell Dorado and Malifaux pieces from 2012 that've been residing on the shelf of shame in a sorry half-finished state.

To put eZerkova together, I used a glue technique from Marike Reimer: put a little dot of superglue on the tab side, and into the slot side, sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda. It cures pretty much instantly into a hard glass.

This has taken a lot of the nightmare out of gluing metals, but even so, I'm done with metals. Crisp high detail resin has always been my painting chocolate, and now that it's becoming more widespread and the hobby is opening up to crowdsourced indie projects, I no longer have to choose models I like or material I like. There are manufacturers who'll give me both.

If only they didn't charge $15-25 a piece...

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »
I don't understand why glueing metals is considered hard. Larger models, maybe, but small minis glue easily, at least for me...

Anyway, I haven't painted anything for a few months now. I just... don't have the time...  :-\

Offline Dhi

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 03:36:55 PM »
I'm glad you can do it without difficulty, someone's got to keep Reaper in business. I can't tolerate it anymore.

Chemically speaking no glue is good for use on metal because the metal doesn't react to it. The superglue cures around the shape of the metal. Even the best superglue bond on a metal miniature is not going to support much weight and will pop right off if dropped. Resin, on the other hand, is bonded permanently. It chemically melts together.

Offline Thorne

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »
It's a pain in the neck, for sure. I've found that roughing the surface up a little helps a lot. But when you're working with something that's so small you need tweezers just to hang on to it ... *grumble*

I've got at least one of those right now. It's not Reaper, though. It's .. ahm. Privateer Press. She's in a million pieces, metal, and I can't face the glue right now. When I get around to it, I'll have a very fancy half-dragon sorceress to paint. ^^;

And I did cave and buy a bunch of Warhammer war-wolves. Which appear to be resin. But.. wolves! No GM ever has enough, especially dire wolves... they'll be pretty easy to paint, at least. And only about three pieces per wolf. So, not too big a deal to glue, either.

Offline eBadger

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 01:15:15 AM »
Well, pictures when you finish! 

And Privateer seems pretty firm about shifting production to plastics and resins in the future.  Although I expect there'll always be a mix. 

Offline Dhi

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 01:06:17 PM »
Zerkova herself is finished and based, now I'm working on her bodyguards. I'm happy with how she turned out!

I'm glad Privateer wants to do plastic, though the plastic they use needs some work. The detail on the plastic battleboxes was not good, and things like the snap together assembly left them feeling cheap and inferior.

Projects like Wrath of Kings and Toughest Girls in the Galaxy use higher quality plastics that take amazing thin detail you could never achieve with white metal, and they built those capabilities from essentially nothing with Kickstarter funds. Kingdom Death is also trying out plastics and honestly side by side I can't tell the difference between their plastics and resin. These are all crowdfunded, upstart companies. I think Privateer Press, as the #2 company, needs to strive for at least that level of quality.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »
I'm down a light, so until I invest in a new setup my photos are all casting shadows.  :-(

Except for this one.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
I received some Chinese recasts of Kingdom Death minis in the post today. Conflicted about it, but you can't buy these anywhere anymore, and the recasts are flawless and cheap.

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »
Hm. What are "recasts"?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »
Recasting is when you make your own rubber mold of a mini and cast counterfeit copies. It's one of those garage bootleg operations that isn't normally profitable, but then you get a company likes Games Workshop with insane markup, or Kingdom Death who refuse to make more of minis people are willing to pay top dollar for...

Offline Far eyes

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »
Yah Games Workshop is weird, i worked for a small table top games hoby store here and they basically stopped working with them because they had idiotic bundles and would only want to sell these "nobody will buy half this shit" Bundles. With like maybe 30-40% of things the store owner would actually want. Plus keep in mind for local prices here even like forking out 30-50$ for a game book you will use over and over again is quiet an investment for a lot of people.

Offline TotesRider

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2016, 06:41:54 PM »
I used to. But I never played the WH40K game because it looked Complex as fuck (and this is from a dude whose mildly decentish at Virtua Fighter). But I have been learning how to do custom paint on my Bionicle MOCs

Offline greenknight

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 07:29:51 PM »
With Team Yankee coming out, I've got a few platoons to paint up. And, of course, these came out about 30 years too late for T:2K, but whatever, I got some extras to use for that, too.

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
Is anyone else working on anything?

Slowly working on my Night Lords. We have an escalating campaign in my FLGS, which increases game size every couple of months. I need to get some more painted up for that.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2016, 09:29:39 AM »
What do you guys do for bases? I struggle with base ideas.

Offline greenknight

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2016, 03:36:53 PM »
I just paint for tabletop play, so static grass is about as detailed as I get. That said, now that I'm moving into FoW 15mm stuff, squads are basically mini-dioramas so I picked up some of Battlefront's textured squad bases. I'll see what I end up doing with them.

Online HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2016, 05:09:55 PM »
I'm pretty much the same. Most of my bases will be some variant of green or brown, with static grass. I've used sand as well, for a desert-ish looking one.

A local Space Wolf player has gone with the snow look on his, which fits the army, if not always the table :)

You might get some inspiration here though

http://shop.microartstudio.com/battle-bases-c-3.html

Offline Dhi

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2016, 07:49:24 PM »
Micro Art bases are super cool. I picked up some of their jungle and badlands bases at one point, but that's kind of expensive. Unfortunately I cannot do the same kind of stuff myself, I've always been bad at sculpting.

This morning I started working on a couple of base ideas.

One is going to be tangled jungle roots. I have these monsters lying around from Reaper that I'm honestly never going to use:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/tentacle/sku-down/03532
So the one on the right is the core of the base. Some of the vines are draped over a 54mm mask, so it looks like statuary reclaimed by aggressive plants. The gaps are filled in with Vallejo sandy paste, a texture paint that's finer than hobby sand.

The other one is going to be a fairy ring. I mangled another helpless mini, chopped off the mushroom cap from one of these guys.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/mushroom/latest/77345
It's going to serve as the stand. Around the perimeter I'm cutting the heads off of some escutcheon pins to serve as tiny little toadstools. I'd like to make the earth a little uneven, and make the soil look like mycelium. I remember hearing about a technique for making CA glue bubble up into an organic mess by mixing it with water, so I'm trying that out on some practice surfaces. Maybe laying down some bristles from an old brush as mycelium threads would work better, I don't know.

Offline greenknight

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2016, 06:54:23 AM »
Something I've considered in the past is using clear acrylic bases. I stopped when I realized priming would kill the clear.

Escutcheon pin = straight pin?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2016, 07:39:52 AM »
Not exactly, it's a small decorative brass nail.

What would a clear base be for?

The only Citadel product I have right now is Liquid Green Stuff, really just a dyed Tamiya putty that's useless for filling gaps. I opened it for the second time ever to brush a grainy texture onto some of those too-smooth toadstools. Guess what, the entire pot is dried out. Only Citadel does this.

Offline greenknight

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2016, 04:38:50 PM »
Clear base was an idea I had so the model would fit for all tables. It didn't turn out too well.

For your texturing, have you tried suspending some fine basing sand in an ink or wash?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »
Basing sand is good for grit. I ended up using a little for nodules on the mushrooms. But, grit is a limited texture. What I wanted to use the Liquid Green Stuff for is leaving brush lines on the too-smooth metal, like fungus gills or segmented stalks. A wood grain kind of texture.

Do you glue on basing material with an ink wash? I wouldn't think that would bond.

Offline greenknight

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2016, 04:36:28 AM »
Straight up wet paint, cover it in flock, and shake when dry. Nothing fancy.

Offline Thorne

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2016, 06:00:37 PM »
So, painting. Been doing some.

First, finished miniature: Anybody remember the Paizo red?
Here's the pair next to each other. The dark one is metal, the lighter one, Bones plastic. I find I don't have a preference, as far as painting them go, the materials have their pros and cons. One thing I will say for the Bones version, I didn't have to glue it to a base like I did for the metal version.

In the background, you can see my current Work-In-Progress. Kaladrax the ... Disassembled.
Between starting him and now, we moved. This is after pulling him out of storage. Lookit all the pieces!

Then I got a sponge and a lot of black paint and went to town. I did not get very many pictures. But I did get some of the base.

Then I did a lot of painting that didn't get photographed. Because I'm aiming for a frost wyrm, everything looks blueish...

Offline Dhi

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »
Awesome dragons! I love the icy blue wing membranes. Out of the two Pathfinder dragons, the lighter one looks better to me. The metal dragon has taken some scuffs and there's a little metal showing through on spines and often touched places. With Bones you don't have to worry about that as much.

So do you prefer painting dragons? I picked up a couple with Bones, mostly WyrmGear the steampunk dragon. When it turned out he didn't really fit together and would take a lot of modding and greenstuff, I lost heart. Since metal dragons used to sell for 10x the price of other miniatures, I just decided early on they were not going to be my thing.

Offline Thorne

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2016, 08:29:55 PM »
Are you sure that's metal showing through? I did the horns on the dark one black-based, white-tipped, and sealed him. He actually spends most of his time sitting on a shelf, because we don't actually take him out much. Might change with the upcoming live campaign, but for now... I don't think he's actually been on the table even once.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2016, 09:28:20 PM »
Oh, okay.

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2016, 05:45:50 PM »
Very nice dragons there, Thorne!  :-)

I decided that I'll try to come back to painting stuff - somehow, I ended up not doing anything for months (uh... how the time flies by). And so, I have a question:

Any advice how to create a proper blonde hair colour? I want to finally paint a blonde Sister and I don't want her to have comic-booky yellow hair...

Offline Oniya

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2016, 06:06:52 PM »
There are a few YouTube tutorials out there, but this was the first link that I came across:

http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/04/20/tutorial-basics-%E2%80%93-glorious-locks-painting-hair/

The writer sets out to show how to paint the three major hair colors (saving red for another article, apparently), but to be quite honest, I think the example for 'brown' looks closer to a non-comic-book blonde than the actual example for blonde.

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2016, 06:28:42 PM »
Thanks! This is most useful :)

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 03:40:30 PM »
So... As I've mentioned over at the WH40K thread, I recently got into a Spanish sci-fi miniature game Infinity. I've been painting the minis for about a month or two, with mixed results. But I thought I'd share anyway! :D

Here's my first mini, a Ghulam Infantry soldier from the Haqqislam faction:

It looks... kind of okay (in relation to my skill level), although the texture is still very rough and thick.

Here's a Naga sniper from the ALEPH faction. Very bad mini, especially considering that I managed to break the mini's right arm and had to replace it with a greenstuff one:

And here's my latest mini, a Deva - also from the ALEPH faction. Finally, I managed not to obsure the details and get nice, smooth surfaces. On the other hand, I completely destroyed the face by repeated attempts to paint eyes...

So, what do you think?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
It's been a while since this thread popped up! I'm still painting away and happy to see you are too.

Infinity is an interesting game. I attended some learn to play events here after the Warmachine/Hordes community just turned to smoke in the last year. That Ghulam is a guy I recognize from the Red Veil box. I picked up Red Veil, the USAriadna army box, and some misc pieces. Just finished painting the Yu Jing guys and I'll be joining you painting Haqqislam soon.

These are good early efforts. If you stick with it you're going to learn a lot of techniques for those things that're bothering you. It's clear you have good brush control, and you did a good job getting rid of mould lines and assembling the pieces. From there it pretty much comes down to technique.

Infinity models are full of tiny grooves just begging for a wash. Your nice bright colors would probably be ruined by a uniform brown or black wash, but if you don't mind getting your hands on some acrylic matte medium and Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish, I can teach you how to make any wash you want.

I see what you mean about the paint going on thick. Everyone who starts out has to hear the same advice to thin your paints. It takes more time, but it's worth it.

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »
I admit that Infinity has caused a total Pokemontisis in me... so, I ended picking up a lot of stuff for this game  :o  ;D I have the Red Veil and Icestorm boxes (although I do plan on selling the Yu Jing and Pan-O minis), as well as a few more sets for Haqqislam and Nomads. And I have some ALEPH troopers, too.

Right now, I'm trying to paint most of my ALEPHs as soon as possible, so that I have a playable team. ALEPHs are interesting in that regard, as many of their units are quite costly. So, you could create a 300-point list with just a Deva, two Nagas, two Asuras and Achilles.

Anyway, looking forward to sharing more painting stories! And if you have the Yu Jing guys ready, please post them!

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
New mini! First of the Asuras:

*gasp* Suprise! For a change, I managed to paint a mini that looks relatively decent!  :o  ;D

Offline Oniya

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2017, 03:08:16 PM »
Nice detailing!

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »
Thanks! I'm pleased that I managed to make some of the details to be visible.

Also: finally a mini that is *smooth*!

Online HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2017, 07:24:01 PM »
I hate working on faces, I can almost never get eyes done properly. Almost every model I do, their helmet stays on :)

Offline Dhi

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2017, 09:43:34 PM »
This is an article from Dark Sword painter Marike Reimer that helped me get a handle on painting eyes.
http://www.destroyerminis.com/paintingeyes/

Beyond step 5 is really overkill, and if you can even do step 5 you're ahead of the game, but steps 1-4 are a solid foundation.

Marike doesn't mention this in the article but I've found the least risky way to paint that very important white line which defines the shape of the eye is with quite thin paint. I water my offwhite down 2 parts water to 1 part paint, wick the moisture off the brush with a paper towel, and essentially sketch in the eyeball. It takes more time, but it gives me so much more control over the shape of the line, and mistakes are almost invisible.

Unfortunately the same doesn't work for drawing the pupil. A misplaced black dot, no matter how thinned the pigment, is going to be highly visible on white.

Offline Thorne

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2017, 10:18:40 PM »
I usually set my eye colour before I set my pupils, when doing eyes; that way if I don't like where the pupil ended up, I can dab a little and - most likely - no one will notice anything weird. Unless I get them /really/ cross-eyed, but I can usually fix that with a little careful dibbling.

I say this without having looked at the tutorial; it may be I adopt a new technique here in a bit. ^^;

Offline Dhi

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »
I picked up a new lighting setup, so pictures of those Yu Jing and other projects will be coming soon. I'm a nerd and can't just fire and forget with my mobile like a normal person.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2017, 09:07:52 PM »
I've got some pictures now of Malifaux, Warmachine, Infinity, Kingdom Death, and Reaper projects and will do some sorting and posting this weekend. It's been a year, and in that time I've finished 83 new pieces.

Offline greenknight

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2017, 01:42:10 AM »
And I'm here with a set my bro sent me for xmas and no way to store and transport them if I do paint them....

Offline Oniya

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2017, 03:04:42 AM »
And I'm here with a set my bro sent me for xmas and no way to store and transport them if I do paint them....

A number of gamers I know use that egg-crate foam to pack their minis.  (Egg crate on one side, and a flat squishy foam on the other - the figures sort of nestle in the 'dimples'.)

Offline greenknight

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
Yep, I won't really have the option to drive over to Michael's for supplies for another <----> months or so ;D

Offline Dhi

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
If we let something like inadequate storage solutions get in our way, nobody would ever paint anything.

Here's proof I have been painting. Yu Jing:

Trying out the Haqqislam color scheme:

And USAriadna:

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »
Oh my, these minis are awesome, Dhi! So... smooth...

I have painted one more mini: another Asura. I'll try to post some images soon...

Offline Dhi

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »
Please do! Let's keep the thread alive and show off those cool models.

I have more projects to share but I'm going to hold off because I don't want this thread to just be me fishing for compliments.

About a year ago I mentioned here that I was working on a mushroom base. Here's how that turned out!

Twilight Knight was an early favorite Kingdom Death model and probably the most famous pinup. Her posture and body proportions have a weight and personality that make these wonderful portfolio pieces.

This week I'm working on a new favorite KD piece, Fade. I can't post a picture directly because Fade is holding a newborn, but it's a beautiful narrative piece that's resonated with painters as a challenge to crystallize the determination of a mother in exile. Her big ole boobs probably do not hurt matters.

The other thing I'm working on this week is a cartoon pig from Super Dungeon Explore!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:58:17 AM by Dhi »

Offline Dhi

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »
Fade and Madam Hilde are finished! I'll get some pictures soon.

The next project I'm working on is the Khador Gun Carriage, a big horse-drawn dieselpunk tank. I've never painted a vehicle before, and this is a big, complicated one. Eek! There probably won't be room for anything else on the painting table across the next few weeks.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »
Here's Madam Hilde.

Fade is an offsite link because she's holding an infant.
https://68.media.tumblr.com/b2734bd18ee751f09cbf1846ffc9f549/tumblr_omf2awtHhG1sm45xjo1_1280.png

These are the most recent things I've painted and represent about a year's time since Twilight Knight. I think my bases have improved since then, when I was just getting started. For the longest time I painted every base flat black and as a result my basing skill did not improve with my painting.

I have been frustrated with getting the photos to actually pick up the colors. Everything comes out much more drab than it looks in reality. Unfortunately the tools I'm working with are quite old and lack the color balance to distinguish gray from blue from green from brown on such a tiny scale. Since there's no discussion happening, I don't think it's worth the effort to share my hobby with Elliquiy. These are the last images I'll be posting.

Online Cataclysmic Archangel

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2017, 07:54:54 AM »
Hi folks.  Just found this thread... I hate to say that I'm a terrible painter compared to most of you, thoughI love 40k, mostly from the converting aspect.  Here's some of my work....

I tend to stick to large vehicles more than anything else, just because they're easier to paint.  Although I am currently in the middle of a Celestant Prime, because I have a thing for angels...

Offline Dhi

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »
Conversion work is amazing, if anything I feel like it takes more creativity than painting. I wish I had the skills to convert things like that, especially now. I'm starting to see why more than a few people converted the Khador Gun Carriage from a horse-drawn dieselpunk tank to bulldozer. The horses are terrible with gaps wide enough to drop a penny through.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2017, 05:53:47 AM »
Hey, since we have some sculptors posting here, I wanted to share a product that came to my attention this convention season.

It's a replacement for green stuff epoxy called Magic Sculpt. What makes it different is that its working time is soluble enough to be smoothed with a wet brush. It also claims to be non-toxic, but the danger of these resins comes from inhaling sanded particles, so it's a non-issue.

Jeremie Bonamant Teboul was on this next level sculpting by brush melting epoxy with acetone, but this is far less nasty. I picked some up off Amazon and look forward to trying it out.

In the meantime, I've finished Infinity's USAriadna Maverick, dismounted Maverick, two Grunts and a Foxtrot Ranger; Kingdom Death's Beyond the Wall narrative sculpt; and one of Malifaux's new crews, The Pen Is Mightier. I also picked up Angel Giraldez's new book, Masterclass Volume 2. It has some interesting ideas about airbrush pressure and Angel's distinctive Rembrandt style light placement. Most of the book is color recipes, which disappointed a lot of us looking to grow as painters. What's in there was worth it for me, and if you just don't have an eye for color, even better.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
Hello, me again!

There's a lot happening in the miniatures arena with Runewars, Fallout, and renewed interest in Warhammer. Is anyone out there getting back into painting? Looking to paint?

I needed to work on my lightbox setup for a commission, and as a result I did end up with some better pictures to show here.
Here's Fade and her infant again (linked for baby):
https://68.media.tumblr.com/d0f0cbf4cc054344b2202d30ac3c75c3/tumblr_opupq1HJbz1sm45xjo1_1280.jpg
Back:

Mounted maverick, from Infinity:

The last thing I painted before the commission, Kingdom Death's Savior:

Offline Dhi

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »
Better:

I really like how the peacock feather cloak turned out.

Here's something I finished the other day.

The mushrooms are made out of that Magic Sculpt stuff. It's fantastic! It doesn't really like to stick to metal, though, and needed some reinforcement. That's why the mushrooms look the way they do.

Offline Ershin

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »
Conversion work is amazing, if anything I feel like it takes more creativity than painting. I wish I had the skills to convert things like that, especially now. I'm starting to see why more than a few people converted the Khador Gun Carriage from a horse-drawn dieselpunk tank to bulldozer. The horses are terrible with gaps wide enough to drop a penny through.
I had the same problem with the Old Witch of Khador, there just seemed to be so much material missing. Having a similarly bad time putting Games Workshop's Ikit Klaw (now renamed Arch-Warlock) together.

Speaking of filthy rats, got these boys finished a couple months ago, got a few more big models (and some smaller hero minis) finished up since then but I've since gone back to trying to get my Space Wolves infantry finished up in time for 8th Edition 40k coming out.

And when a box comes with options I can't help but get the magnets out

Offline Dhi

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2017, 11:31:42 PM »
Ershin, you paint? Please post more, that's incredible! I love the weathering and all the little dials.

Offline Ershin

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
Ershin, you paint? Please post more, that's incredible! I love the weathering and all the little dials.

Thank you very much. I saw a lot of great work on here (including yours) and thought I'd share. I'll try and get more posted in the future, though progress is typically slow as I keep getting distracted by other minis. My poor Wolf Lord conversion has been sitting half finished for over a year now because my vision for him exceeded my ability.
Though here's some stuff I've got at hand;

More Skaven
The Warlord is the limited edition Games Day... I want to say 2011 mini? Nabbed him on eBay and painted his armour yellow because why not. The other two are from the Silver Tower board game and are currently a bit unfinished - note the lack of toxic gunk on their bases.

Space Wolves / Vylka Fenryka
Ragnar here is a conversion I made out of whats-his-name Khan from the White Scars, replacing the sword and head with bits from the most recent Space Wolves upgrade sprue, the pony tail is literally a horse's tail, the bronze wolf head was from an axe, belt from the Grey Hunter kit and the wolf head pelt was formerly part of the Terminator kit. I have just realised I missed painting the purity seal on the inside of his cloak. And also his eyes.

Logan Grimnar's most recent mini (his old metal one is lying around somewhere half painted). Comes with an anti-grav chariot / miniature space viking longboat(???), finished this paint job in December 2015 like... a couple days before Christmas when I had some time off work.
I hated the wolves pulling it, HATED them and that rigid iron bar connecting them because it implied the thing couldn't move on its own. Some jeweller's chain and two Fenrisian wolves later and it looks a bit more like the artwork on the inside cover of the Codex and gives the impression the wolves are chained there as attack dogs.

Also because he has the option of NOT riding  I made an addition to the base and played about with some magnets.

Saint Celestine
New mini from Gathering Storm Part 1. Very nice, glad they got rid of her shower curtain but the cyber-cherubs are now out of a job, poor guys. :(
Need to finish off the scrolls and touch up on her nose a bit since too much blue glaze went into her eyes when trying to make a glowing effect.

Also I need to find a way to stop her jiggling about so much since her entire weight is held up by that scroll, it's very concerning.

NURGLE BOYS
Daemon Prince - I want to get another of these guys and give him some gross fly wings. Found when I had his torso separate from his legs when painting him that with a little green stuff he's be really easy to pose in a flying position.

Festus the Leechlord (not attached to base)

Putrid Blightkings

Assorted Chaos
Sevatar -  First Captain of the Night Lords, Prince of Crows, Lord of the Atramentar
That knife he's holding has broken off more times than I care to think about. Still need to finish off the blood splatters on his flesh cloak o3o

Be'Lakor needs his sword finished. There are also a lot of little "spikes" on this mini that, at the time of painting, I did not realise were actually mold release stuff. WHOOPS.

Eldar/AELDARI???
Some Space Elves (well... one Harlequin and a fantasy mini standing in for a farseer because I like her) I painted up when the Ynnari, followers of the Eldar god of death Ynnead came out. Just these two. Because they're death worshippers I thought to myself "Hmm... Pure black! Maybe with some magic green junk". So it went. Pure black. Black clothed, black weapons, black jewellery and trinkets.
I named the wizard "Yvetta" after Evetta Muradasilova, the voice actress of the Maiden in Black and the Doll from Demon's Souls and Bloodborne respectively.

Yvetta - Maiden in Black, Farseer of the Ynnari (model is actually just the Mistwalker from the Silver Tower board game)

A Solitaire

Offline Dhi

« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2017, 12:48:49 AM »
Thank you for posting, I love them! I would love to talk shop.

The swirls on the skaven goop are creative, I get what I'm looking at from just that little touch.

Space viking is my favorite, you did a great job on the conversion. I would have had no idea. Nice verdigris, I like that, and the dapple texture on the leather cloak.

The angels and doves look super delicate to work with. I like the white hair and pauldron designs on the cohorts.

The dark green you're using for some of the nurgle metal caught my eye. The way it contrasts with white almost looks like marble. Gross gut wound on axe guy.

Nice dark lava, it suits the dark mini and doesn't feel incongruous with the lighting.

What kind of materials do you use when converting?

Offline Ershin

« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2017, 01:38:50 AM »
The conversions are just plastic, resin or metal parts and in the case of the cloak green stuff was used to sculpt a little bit of fur to fill in the gaps and make it look like one continuous pelt. Pins (or in my case bits of paperclip) are used for stability in less stable or thin connections, the pony tail and sword.

The longboat conversion was just adding in the chain (also removing a bit of material on the vehicle and replacing it with green stuff to keep it in place, also sculpting collars on the wolves) , though each individual link had to be glued in place to the next.

Verdigris and doves were done exactly the same way, Games Workshop make a technical paint Nihilahk Oxide which is specifically designed for verdigris. The texture is kind of chalky and just odd to the touch. Doves were dry brushed light grey and highlighted white, bronze was some of the verdigris paint removed with a damp tissue to allow the metal to show up more

The Skaven goop is based on gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn, the swirly texture of the gas looked interesting. One of the globes actually has a little "eye" storm like jupiter has.

Red parts (wounds, exposed muscle) on the nurgle guys are over saturated in the photos, look much brighter than they actually are.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:46:16 AM by Ershin »

Offline Dhi

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2017, 04:42:09 AM »
Vallejo put out some technical paints as well. I picked up the Vallejo Special Effects set which includes a verdigris wash, but I've had that set like a week, all I've used out of it so far was a color called rotten white. It's chunky and gross and my first thought is, what a cheapo paint, but then I realize it's meant to be pus. Yuuuuck.

I used rotten white to trace the mycorrhiza lines on the purple witch's base. Don't have much cause to paint pus, if I'm honest.

The way I've been doing verdigris before now was with a wash of turquoise, then bright turquoise, then white.

This is the clearest example I could find-

It looks very similar to yours, and your way seems way faster.

Offline Ershin

« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2017, 11:22:31 AM »
Is the liquid coming out of the fountain's mouth part of the mini or did you add that to it yourself?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »
It's added. That's as ambitious as my conversions get. I'd like to get to your level but I have no imagination for it.

Offline Ershin

« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2017, 06:30:18 PM »
I think it looks great. :)

Offline Sylk

• Firebrand, Rogue, Enchantress, That which hides within you, wanting...
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • Location: 2 hours drive from the oldest river on the continent
  • "All love is unrequited"
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:52 PM »
i don't play the WH40k or even WHF.  But i enjoy painting the minis.  I don't have any pictures on this computer and honestly, i have about 2k worth of pewter waiting to be painted, then there's the plastic and other types they make now.

I'd love a few Squats on cycles to paint but they are few and hard to find.  Sometimes I surf Ebay for those.

sylk

Offline Dhi

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »
Is Games Workshop your favorite miniature line?

I used to play Warmachine/Hordes, but the local scene died with Mark III and left me with quite a lot of totally-not-Russians Khador and werewolf druid Circle Orboros. Some are still unpainted.

Now I'm getting into Malifaux, a little bit. Just the basic crew boxes. I don't want to get into units again because they are so boring to paint, but if we can pick up a game crew versus crew that's perfect. No Shelter Here, Children of December, Beacon of Knowledge, and The Pen is Mightier are all painted and ready, and that's enough.

What I'm mainly painting now is Kingdom Death. Here's the Forsaker, painted over the weekend.

We are definitely playing this, although it's a not a wargame. I'm thinking about, maybe this fall when update 1.5 reaches backers, running a Kingdom Death campaign here on Elliquiy. It would be a Woody Bits game, nothing sexy or character-driven. Characters are expected to die in Roguelike fashion. It could also only accommodate 4-6 players, and I have no idea what the interest would be like. It seems like a ton of posters have heard of Kingdom Death, but almost no-one has actually played.

Forsaker represents 6/8 of the original Pinups of Death collection complete. It was two years ago almost to the day I ordered them, and when I did receive them I did not feel at all qualified to paint them. My brush work was just not at that level. So they sat in a box on the shelf for many months, but now, I don't want to paint anything else.

This is something else I painted over the weekend, Thundervale Huntress from Super Dungeon Explore.

You can probably see the mold lines are not cleaned up and there are too many layers. Cool Mini Or Not has some real issues with their plastic and this made cleanup and paint beading a problem. But, I think I know how to solve those now. The rest should be better.

Sylk, I want to help you get back into painting and get your money's worth out of all that pewter and plastic. How about a group paint or something?

« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2017, 07:15:06 AM »
GW is probably my favorite, only because I also love to build (probably more than painting) and so their plastic kits are great for conversions.  My new love out of them is their Stormcast Eternals, mostly the winged ones.  I recently finished up a 'Celestant Prime'... which I did as a giant fiery archangel. I have a thing for angels.

I've actually been looking into Warmahordes, specifically the Circle Orobos.  I like werewolves almost as much as angels, and was trying to figure out if there was a way to play that faction with JUST wolves.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »
Its been forever since i did some painting, and this is my most recent..

And with a flash to kinda get a better look..

need to go back and touch up details some.

Getting back in with the shadow war armageddon stuff as my friends are jazzed for it, as am i.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2017, 04:52:10 PM »
That thing looks huge! Nice job picking out the colors. I think I see some blacklining here and there separating the white from the gold. I like those colors, too.

Arcannyx, there are three different versions of Kaya now. Each one is suited for leading beasts, but you are going to need to take werewolves or at least an argus. Plain old wolves can't generate fury, so you'd be deprived of spells, survivability, and boosted damage.

There's a skinwalker warcaster now who is sort-of-but-not-really a werewolf himself. I have not seen him in action so I don't know how he plays, but my guess would be he's suited to skinwalker units and that doesn't really sound like what you want.

This is one of the reasons I gave up Warmahordes. Mark III promised to open up the game to all new lists, but there were barely any changes. It didn't renew interest and the local scene just died.

Here's something I painted yesterday, Kingdom Death Survivor.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »
It is a pretty decent size, amd yeah,  olors are a silvered steel, brass, crimson and white. Black lining was from a gundam model pen which was nice and easy to use, now gotta go back over and finish leanin colors and other fi e details.

And that is a beautiful little one there!

« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2017, 05:32:46 AM »

Arcannyx, there are three different versions of Kaya now. Each one is suited for leading beasts, but you are going to need to take werewolves or at least an argus. Plain old wolves can't generate fury, so you'd be deprived of spells, survivability, and boosted damage.

There's a skinwalker warcaster now who is sort-of-but-not-really a werewolf himself. I have not seen him in action so I don't know how he plays, but my guess would be he's suited to skinwalker units and that doesn't really sound like what you want.

This is one of the reasons I gave up Warmahordes. Mark III promised to open up the game to all new lists, but there were barely any changes. It didn't renew interest and the local scene just died.

Someone suggested one of the 'beastman' warcasters... they're like goatmen or something.  I've considered using him because he's at least the right size if I wanted to try and convert a Skinwalker caster to look similar.  When i said I wanted Wolves I meant all the skinwalkers, so that's fine.

Originally I was thinking of going to the new Convergence, but realized that there were only one or two Jacks that I loved the look of, while the others were... not as interesting.

Oh, and here's an angel.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2017, 08:45:03 PM »
The angel looks awesome, but is that a whirlwind of gore? Yuck!

Kingdom Death released new models today. They are selling out quickly. There's an encore release of one of the old models, not available for years. This was the miniature that first drew me to the company, and unfortunately by the time I was aware of it was long gone. So I was excited to see it available again.
https://shop.kingdomdeath.com/collections/in-stock/products/white-speaker-nico

First of all she has this unusual body shape which I had not seen outside of garage manufacturers like Freebooter. Sculptors like Werner Klocke distinguish one inch women from the men by making them very dainty. Bobby Jackson and Sandra Garrity sculpt women much the same as men but give them big spherical breasts or amazon hair to let you know they are women. I respect those artists but these are relics of the 90s, pre-digital sculpting.

Nico has weight. Everything from her body shape to her stride to the way she tenses her arm has character. And, she has very short hair, which you never see. I was in love. I'm happy to finally have the chance to paint one.

« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »
The angel looks awesome, but is that a whirlwind of gore? Yuck!

Flame. was supposed to be a whirlwind of flame.

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »
That makes so much more sense.

« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »
*pops back into the thread after a three-month absence*

Okay, a question: what is Kingdom Death? Would you mind telling a bit more about it, Dhi?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2017, 09:31:04 PM »
It's a self-running tabletop game about hunting intricate monsters, building a civilization in a nightmare purgatory, and growing doomed heroes and heroines out of feral survivors with nothing but a lantern and a jagged stone to their name.

Backers will begin receiving version 1.5 at the end of August. When I get mine, I'll be interested to run games here on Elliquiy. The issue is that, at least until one of the later expansions I've also ordered, it really isn't feasible to get into the role of a single character. Characters will die. The loss condition is not when the current character you're playing dies, but when your settlement runs out of survivors completely. So if you go by the rules as written at least, it's suited to a board game approach rather than a sexy times group game.

« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
Interesting! So it's a board game? How many players does it need? And where do the minis come into it?

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »
AAaannnndddd.... Where does one buy it from..?

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »
Aaaand, aside from the Kingdom Death questions:

Dhi, I looked at all of the images you posted. As usual, I really like what you're doing! My favourite mini of the bunch you posted during these last three months is the Forsaker. The glowing / heated-up bits are just beautiful!

And I envy you for your determination to work on the bases. That mushroom base was great! And you made a base with reeds (I think?) for one of these KD minis...

Offline Pockets

• Lady Kitsune's Body Snuggleuficus Secretwriter's Leprechaun
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Sometimes it's not about what's in the Pocket
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2017, 05:36:44 PM »
Does anyone have a preference for the type/brand of brushes they use? I used to use the sable brushes that GW used to put out, but now that the detail brushes are like $23 US Dollars each, I'm looking at alternatives. I already use Vallejo and Reaper paints.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2017, 10:26:20 PM »
The sweet spot is 4 players, but it supports 1-6. I've heard the 6-player variant is too difficult as it stands now.

There are three types of Kingdom Death miniatures. The actual game pieces are used during grid-based showdowns between characters and creatures. Those come with the core game Monster and its expansions, like Flower Knight and Dragon King. Character miniatures are very modular with mix and patch parts from every monster and expansion, so if you have a favorite character with specific equipment from all over, you can build exactly that. That's part of why the kits are so expensive.

Not used in the game are narrative sculpts, and pinups. Most of what I've been posting are pinups from the Pinups of Death collection. Most of those are not really canon, but Fade and the Disciples of the Witch have since become official game pieces. Fade is very cool and ties into an upcoming expansion, so a lot of people are trying to get their hands on her now.

And getting any of this sold out stuff, including the Monster core game, is tough. Currently Monster is funded completely through Kickstarter and any remaining copies tend to go to GenCon and sell out there. But, Adam has said the 1.5 Kickstarter will be the last, and that they will soon have a way to meet demand independently. That's probably not going to happen before next year.

Does anyone have a preference for the type/brand of brushes they use? I used to use the sable brushes that GW used to put out, but now that the detail brushes are like $23 US Dollars each, I'm looking at alternatives. I already use Vallejo and Reaper paints.
Synthetic brushes are totally fine for beginning painters. You can bang them up, bend the tips and get gunk in the ferrule, and toss them without feeling like you've wasted a lot of money. When you've mastered a brush, Winsor & Newton Series 7 watercolor brushes are widely held to be the best out there. They are expensive, though.

Series 7 are made with Kolinsky sable. There are some cheaper brands that use the same material, used by plenty of artists. Rosemary brushes ship from England and are about $6. Roubloff ship direct from Russia and are about $4. Depending on where you live, shipping can be a lot, so it's better to buy in quantity.

I'd recommend size 1 as a workhorse brush, size 2 for glazes so there's more reservoir before paint reaches the ferrule, and size 0 for super fine details like eyes and freehand. Artist's brushes branded as "miniature" means that the bristles are shorter, a bad thing.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2017, 10:34:18 PM »
As i looked at alot of this stuff at their site, the painted minis, and soforth... BLAST AND DAMN!!

:I really looks cool, and checking ebay.... yyheeeaaaahhhh....

« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
Okay, so! Here's what I promised to post back in February - the second Asura for Infinity's Aleph faction:

Here are the two Asuras together:

Currently, I'm stuck for some reason and I haven't painted anything more, unfortunately... But I have a Dakini Tactbot glued together, so this should be my next project.

Anyway, the Infinity minis are awesome! I wish I could do them justice...

Offline originalazrael

« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2017, 07:28:49 PM »
This is probably a little weird, but I play a game called Dice Masters, and wanted to ask about painting the sidekick and action dice.

The dice in question are plastic, with laser cut symbols on the sides, (I assume). I can use paint pens to repaint the engravings, but I want to try swirling for the exterior. However, most of the videos I see for swirling usually involve something with a hook to dip it. Is there a way to do this method so that I can cover the whole dice without doing it in parts, or something?

Also, if I use a paint pen after for the interiors, would I have to worry about rubbing off the other paint?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2017, 11:14:23 PM »
originalazrael, when I was little, my sister and I would use yellow Sharpie markers to erase details from dolls to re-paint them. If the paint pens give off fumes, they have a similar organic solvent that will scrub off painted-on details. If they have no fumes, they're probably okay. I can't say with 100% certainty they will be okay.

To hold things for painting we will generally drill in a tiny wire, around 28 gauge, using a $10 pin vise. I guess if you're worried about the balance of your dice, drilling into them might be a no-no.

Here's something I painted this week, Frankenstein Lucy from the KD Halloween grab bag.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2017, 11:26:46 PM »
Maybe a loop of thin wire?  They use something like that for dipping eggs in dye, so it might be possible to improvise something smaller.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2017, 04:04:30 AM »
After finishing all 8 of the Pinups of Death I thought it would be neat to see them all together.

I was terrified at first to actually paint them. I did not think my painting abilities were up to the task, and I had not really made bases before. Each one was a learning experience and having met that challenge, I feel up to painting so many other things and really expanding my hobby into new places.

I hope you find the inspiration to keep going, Beorning. Your brushwork is very good, and that's the one thing you can't learn from a video. It's hard to keep going sometimes. Every mini is a hundred little successes and a hundred little failures. When I first started painting, it was because I took a look at all my Chinese prepainted Dungeons & Dragons minis and realized, hey, there are basically no women at all, I guess I need to paint my own. I never would have imagined it would end up making me this happy, and at the end, you have a very real thing to share with the world. It's wonderful.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2017, 04:46:34 AM »
Woo! God damn! That is some fancy damn painting there! Brava!!!

Offline Ershin

« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2017, 04:57:24 AM »
Dhi, the shading/blending on the skin of all your Kingdom Death minis is amazing. It makes me realise that I need to work on my blending.

Beorning - those are looking good, I like the mix of cream and gold for a colour scheme. May I suggest painting the edge of the base in a neutral colour such as a light brown? It can help the base blend into the tabletop compared to a harsh or dark colour like black and draw the eye more towards the mini when the edge of the base is flat like the infinity minis you're working on (a good example in this case would be Games Workshop's "Steel Legion Drab")

Also, horror stories from when I first started painting: when I was a kid I didn't know that gloss varnish was a thing and because the teacher at school who ran the wargaming club had shiny minis I painted stuff on thick with enamel. Not only did it pretty much ruin the minis (which thankfully were starter set snap-fit Space Marines with very little detail) but also the brush I was using to paint them D:

Speaking of glossy, has anyone here had any experience with Reaper's Bones line of minis? It seems that every time I try to paint something from that line it turns out incredibly glossy and sticky, can anyone think of what's up with that?

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2017, 07:04:39 AM »
Speaking of glossy, has anyone here had any experience with Reaper's Bones line of minis? It seems that every time I try to paint something from that line it turns out incredibly glossy and sticky, can anyone think of what's up with that?

I use Reaper Bones mini's all the time and don't have that problem, what line of paint are you using? Because it sounds like you're using a really thick slow drying paint.

I use Vallejo, Reaper, and some Citadel paints/washes.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2017, 10:31:11 AM »
... Damn. watching some of the lets play of people playing KD i REALLY want to get this game, but costs a damn ton on ebay.. though tempted to get some of the models alone just for painting..

Offline Ershin

« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »
I use Reaper Bones mini's all the time and don't have that problem, what line of paint are you using? Because it sounds like you're using a really thick slow drying paint.

I use Vallejo, Reaper, and some Citadel paints/washes.
I am also using Citadel paints and washes. Might just be the particular minis I was using, I'll try it out on a couple more and see if they turn out differently.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »
What I hear is that spray primer with enamel, like Rustoleum, turns Bones sticky.

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2017, 08:00:32 PM »
I've heard the same as it takes FOREVER to properly dry. I suggest using a flat grey paint as a primer. The lighter shades of grey for applications like whites, yellows, and pale greens. Darker for blues, darker greens, and reds (unless you want a light red). I'm doing a set of orcs based painted in Reaper's Shadowed Stone (09085) and the Viper Green (09228) I'm using is coming out just the right tine of dark green that the only thing I'll need to do is give it a wash and it'll be good. I won't even have to shade it outside of the wash.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:03:20 PM by Pockets »

Offline originalazrael

« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
originalazrael, when I was little, my sister and I would use yellow Sharpie markers to erase details from dolls to re-paint them. If the paint pens give off fumes, they have a similar organic solvent that will scrub off painted-on details. If they have no fumes, they're probably okay. I can't say with 100% certainty they will be okay.

I believe you are referring to Xylene. Illegal in Australia. And yes, drilling into my dice would be a no-no.

Maybe a loop of thin wire?  They use something like that for dipping eggs in dye, so it might be possible to improvise something smaller.

I do use hooks when I do swirling, not sure if the wire will affect that, but worth a try, thanks! My friend uses a very closely meshed mini fry basket for his dipping method with no problem, so shouldn't be too difficult to try this.

« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2017, 05:00:59 PM »
After finishing all 8 of the Pinups of Death I thought it would be neat to see them all together.

Wow! Great job. The colours on these minis are amazing.

I have a question: are the bases custom or did these minis some with the bricks, wood etc.?

I hope you find the inspiration to keep going, Beorning. Your brushwork is very good, and that's the one thing you can't learn from a video. It's hard to keep going sometimes. Every mini is a hundred little successes and a hundred little failures. When I first started painting, it was because I took a look at all my Chinese prepainted Dungeons & Dragons minis and realized, hey, there are basically no women at all, I guess I need to paint my own. I never would have imagined it would end up making me this happy, and at the end, you have a very real thing to share with the world. It's wonderful.

Thank you for the compliments, although I don't can't really see anything special about my brushwork etc.  :-) And I can't do shading at all - I tried to do some hair shading on the second Asura, but does it show? Nooooo...

Still, not giving up! I plan on resuming painting in a few days. The idea is to finish the Tactbot, then paint a male Naga and Achilles - and with that, a basic Aleph team would be finished (there are two more Tactbots to paint, but I can add them later) and ready for play. Then, I hope to start painting the Haqqislam and Nomads minis.

I admit that it's a bit hard to keep painting, as basically the whole family keeps telling me that this hobby is stupid... But I try not to get disheartened.  ::)

Beorning - those are looking good, I like the mix of cream and gold for a colour scheme. May I suggest painting the edge of the base in a neutral colour such as a light brown? It can help the base blend into the tabletop compared to a harsh or dark colour like black and draw the eye more towards the mini when the edge of the base is flat like the infinity minis you're working on (a good example in this case would be Games Workshop's "Steel Legion Drab")

Thank you! I like how the colour scheme turned out. The official Asuras are painted in cold colours (as all of the Aleph troops are): whites, blues, blacks etc. I decided to try something different and went for gold, as well as unnatural hair colours. The idea was to give them somewhat angelic aspect.

As for the bases - oh, the bases on the photos simply haven't been painted yet  ;D For all the Infinity bases so far, I''ve been using greenstuff to cover up the minis' foot tabs and the tab slots. Then, I paint the bases with Vallejo's Desert Yellow paint, which is kind of dirty light brown. So no, no dark edges etc...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:03:55 PM by Beorning »

Offline Dhi

« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2017, 06:01:15 PM »
Xylene is one, but organic solvents are a broad range of chemicals. Isopropyl, glycol in brake fluid, environment-friendly cleaning product, so many products contain organic solvent which will soften acrylic plastic. In markers they keep the paint or ink flowing, but that means felt tips are soaked in it. If there's an unpleasant fume, not just Sharpie fume, then it likely contains an organic solvent capable of softening your paint.

Beorning, the bases I made for the most part. Architect (#4) does come with a little stone face she's supposed to be stepping on, and Great Game Hunter (#5) comes with crossbow caddy. KD bases look like the one Frankenstein Lucy is standing on. You can also get custom stone face bases, which are like a 30mm pile of masks. I think I'm going to be getting some of those as part of the Kickstarter, but it's pretty unclear.

« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
I see. BTW. What are the names of all these characters?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »
They are White Speaker, another White Speaker (oops), Twilight Knight, Architect, Great Game Hunter, Forsaker, Survivor, and Preacher.

I made a mistake when posting those! The second White Speaker shouldn't be in there, It's Savior, the character with the peacock feather cloak, who came in Pinups of Death.

« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »
Thanks! And what is the scale of these minis? Are they 28mm or bigger?

Offline originalazrael

« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2017, 08:07:55 PM »
Good luck trying to find them though. I've seen the game going for about 600$$ on eBay. A friend has been looking for it for ages as he missed the kickstarter, but it's sold out almost everywhere.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2017, 09:39:26 PM »
Pinups stand about a head higher than heroic scale 28mm. That puts them in line with Games Workshop's new scale and the scale creep of other high detail manufacturers out there. I've seen some speculation that this is the way the industry is headed, and how it's a good thing. For now scale is pretty hectic like the frontier days of pre-standardized tin soldiers.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2017, 07:15:29 AM »
So so jealous...I suck at painting and I have all these custom minis from hero forge to play with...

Still looking for the right mini for my PFS Enchantress/Enchanting Courtesan settled on this one and trying to think how to do her with purplish hair (her back story is she is a clone of the Runelord of lust) and what style to do the clothing

« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2017, 08:15:33 AM »
Stop procrastinating and paint, Callie!

Me, I'm getting back to Infinity. Time to buy $500 worth of minis and paint them all :)

BTW. Dhi, would you mind me posting your minis on my Facebook, just to rub my family's noses?  ;D

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2017, 08:31:15 AM »
Stop procrastinating and paint, Callie!

Me, I'm getting back to Infinity. Time to buy $500 worth of minis and paint them all :)

BTW. Dhi, would you mind me posting your minis on my Facebook, just to rub my family's noses?  ;D

Still have no idea what to do for the outfit...leaning towards red...

Offline Thorne

« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
What I hear is that spray primer with enamel, like Rustoleum, turns Bones sticky.

There's a whole thread on the Reaper forums about Bones, what works and what doesn't.. ah.. here.
So far, I'm finding that using Reaper's Brown Liner as a primer works very well; paints don't come off, even if something gets knocked on the floor.

.. this is good, because tomorrow I'm expecting a DOOMBOX of Bones, ala Bones III, and .. I might need to get some more Brown liner. <.<

So so jealous...I suck at painting and I have all these custom minis from hero forge to play with...

Still looking for the right mini for my PFS Enchantress/Enchanting Courtesan settled on this one and trying to think how to do her with purplish hair (her back story is she is a clone of the Runelord of lust) and what style to do the clothing

... ooh. Mebbe a greenish blue? While iirc, Sorshen preferred red, the green might set off her hair better. And be a touch easier to shade, if that's a concern. ^^;

« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
Okay, so here's the mini I painted yesterday: Aleph's Dakini Tactbot:

Alright, it's just not good. The thing is, that particular mini was a nightmare to glue together - it consisted of eight pieces, some of them very hard to glue on (like the "wings" bits, which are 1mm or so wide...). It resulted in the bot getting dirties up with glue and greestuff - so not many of the parts were smooth even before me painting them. Then, I started painting and got the bad (bad!) idea of shading the white bits with black wash. In the end, the mini looks just dirty...

Alas, I don't despair! I have two more of these bots in my Aleph starter box and I'll try to improve. :D

Oh, and the base is WIP, of course.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2017, 10:38:55 PM »
No, once they're on the internet, they belong to everyone!

Right there with you on gluing and greenstuff nightmares. But, I haven't actually used greenstuff for a while now, not since picking up a pound of Magic Sculpt on Amazon. This can be shaped with a wet brush, so smoothing and leveling is painless, no sanding involved. It's pretty brilliant.

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2017, 07:55:39 AM »
Alright, it's just not good. The thing is, that particular mini was a nightmare to glue together - it consisted of eight pieces, some of them very hard to glue on (like the "wings" bits, which are 1mm or so wide...). It resulted in the bot getting dirties up with glue and greestuff - so not many of the parts were smooth even before me painting them. Then, I started painting and got the bad (bad!) idea of shading the white bits with black wash. In the end, the mini looks just dirty...

Beorning, if you're wanting to do a darker shading with a wash (especially on white), I would suggest testing it on a piece of paper first to see how it looks. But as a general rule of thumb if I want to use a wash, I try for a darker shade of the same color (or a shade of grey) rather than using specific washes. And as I use mostly Vallejo/Reaper paints that come in eyedropper bottles, I do one drop to four/five drops of water then stir with the stick end of my brush until most of the paint has dissolved into the water.

For those particular mini's, I'd suggest creating a wash using Reaper's Aged Bone (#09059) to go over your white.

« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2017, 04:11:26 PM »
A question: when diluting the paints, would you use normal water - or, maybe, I should buy something like Vallejo's Thinner or Matte / Gloss Medium?

Also, is there an easy way to create a wash? I've heard you could just add water and dish soap to make a normal paint behave like a wash...

And another question: when painting, do you guys paint with thin, semi-transparent layers? The guys at the official Infinity forum tell that the reason my minis look gloopy is because I use too much paint. And that I should never try to create one fully opaque layer...

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2017, 04:26:58 PM »
A question: when diluting the paints, would you use normal water - or, maybe, I should buy something like Vallejo's Thinner or Matte / Gloss Medium?

I don't use thinner because it has a retardent that prevents the paint from drying the way it's designed to. That's fine for intense detail work like eyes and fingernails/talons, but not so much for bigger spots like body parts. Same thing with Matte/Gloss mediums. I usually use distilled water this way it's just water.

Also, is there an easy way to create a wash? I've heard you could just add water and dish soap to make a normal paint behave like a wash...

If you're using eyedropper style paints like from Vallejo or Reaper, I do 1 drop of paint to 3 to 5 drops of water depending on the brand of paint. Vallejo Model I usually do 5 drops and Reaper about 3 to 4 (more if it's needed).

And another question: when painting, do you guys paint with thin, semi-transparent layers? The guys at the official Infinity forum tell that the reason my minis look gloopy is because I use too much paint. And that I should never try to create one fully opaque layer...

I don't dip the brush into the paint, I rest the tip of the brush into the paint and let it absorb what it will then brush it along in a single direction. I may have to keep hitting the palette more often, but I can control how much paint is going onto the model. And I always have an extra brush on hand if I need to wick off paint if the brush spread too much onto the model. As for creating one layer, they're probably thinking you're airbrushing. Though if you're using a particularly thick paint like Vallejo's Foundation White, you may need to thin it out just a smidge by adding a drop or two of water. P3 paints are also like that, they're particularly thick.

« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2017, 03:41:23 PM »
I usually use distilled water this way it's just water.

Hmmmm. And how do I made distilled water? Or, if I need to buy it, is it expensive? Where do I buy it?

If you're using eyedropper style paints like from Vallejo or Reaper, I do 1 drop of paint to 3 to 5 drops of water depending on the brand of paint. Vallejo Model I usually do 5 drops and Reaper about 3 to 4 (more if it's needed).

But don't you need to add something more, so that the paint sticks to crevices etc.?

I don't dip the brush into the paint, I rest the tip of the brush into the paint and let it absorb what it will then brush it along in a single direction. I may have to keep hitting the palette more often, but I can control how much paint is going onto the model. And I always have an extra brush on hand if I need to wick off paint if the brush spread too much onto the model. As for creating one layer, they're probably thinking you're airbrushing. Though if you're using a particularly thick paint like Vallejo's Foundation White, you may need to thin it out just a smidge by adding a drop or two of water. P3 paints are also like that, they're particularly thick.

Hmm, I'll try painting with very little of paint, then. I'm already thinning the paints (with tap water) - it helps, but not as much as I'd like...

You guys really need to teach me painting basics! Please! These Infinity minis are too costly for me to ruin them like that...  :o

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »
Hmmmm. And how do I made distilled water? Or, if I need to buy it, is it expensive? Where do I buy it?

You can buy it at Walmart for under a dollar a gallon.

But don't you need to add something more, so that the paint sticks to crevices etc.?

Not really, but again you have to be careful not to get too much in a specific area.

Hmm, I'll try painting with very little of paint, then. I'm already thinning the paints (with tap water) - it helps, but not as much as I'd like...

Try not thinning the paints and just wick the paint onto the tip of your brush. Don't force the entire tip of your brush into the paint, just dip the very tip in and let it pick up what it can. It's usually enough to paint a decent sized area without looking clumpy. The wicking should help.

You guys really need to teach me painting basics! Please! These Infinity minis are too costly for me to ruin them like that...  :o

I'd suggest picking up some cheap Reaper mini's to practice on. You can always drop them into DOT 3 brake fluid overnight and scrub most acrylics off with a toothbrush relatively easily.

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2017, 06:09:15 PM »
Double Post:

So here are some pictures of Reaper Miniature's Kraken.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2017, 08:19:37 PM »
Beorning,

It probably is true that your paint is too thick, that always seems to be the first thing a miniature painter needs to learn. That's completely normal and part of the process. If I had never delved into the hobby before and someone instructing me said okay, now take this piece of metal and paint it like a delicate Japanese watercolor, I would say You. Are. Crazy. But eventually, you get there on your own. It takes time getting comfortable working with the paint and with your brush. By no accident, the broadly regarded best brushes out there are watercolor brushes.

You do have good brush control and that's important. I can see you're struggling with paint consistency and contrast, but when you nail those things down you will already be able to control where the paint goes. That is why it's a good skill to have. I did see a Menoth army painted by a little girl in Paas Easter paints, though, and it was a radder thing than you or I will ever live to paint.

Offline Thorne

« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2017, 08:23:55 PM »
Their Bones line is quite cheap; I did one for a contest, and the mini only cost me $2.
It occurs to me that I should explain that. There is a running joke by now about Sir Justin Forscale (knight just in for scale), and one of the Reaper guys decided he wanted a bunch of different versions of that miniature. A whole bunch of us jumped at that and the results were impressive (we might have swamped the guy just a bit...).
After the dust settled, I bought another one so I could paint it for myself.

Er. For the curious; the show-off thread for Sir Scoville. Save me uploading everything twice...

Beorning,

It probably is true that your paint is too thick, that always seems to be the first thing a miniature painter needs to learn. That's completely normal and part of the process. If I had never delved into the hobby before and someone instructing me said okay, now take this piece of metal and paint it like a delicate Japanese watercolor, I would say You. Are. Crazy. But eventually, you get there on your own. It takes time getting comfortable working with the paint and with your brush. By no accident, the broadly regarded best brushes out there are watercolor brushes.

You do have good brush control and that's important. I can see you're struggling with paint consistency and contrast, but when you nail those things down you will already be able to control where the paint goes. That is why it's a good skill to have. I did see a Menoth army painted by a little girl in Paas Easter paints, though, and it was a radder thing than you or I will ever live to paint.

Link please! This, I want to see.

Beorning, you may also find that working with a wet pallet helps you; a simple one can be made with any kind of shallow, water-tight container with a tight lid (glass or plastic is probably better than metal), a piece of dampened sponge and a bit of parchment paper. The distilled water will work here, and it helps keep your paint from drying out too fast. If the container can be sealed, so much the better; you won't waste as much paint.

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2017, 08:53:59 PM »
Beorning, you may also find that working with a wet pallet helps you; a simple one can be made with any kind of shallow, water-tight container with a tight lid (glass or plastic is probably better than metal), a piece of dampened sponge and a bit of parchment paper. The distilled water will work here, and it helps keep your paint from drying out too fast. If the container can be sealed, so much the better; you won't waste as much paint.

I'd suggest these starting out. You can get something similar at nearly any hobby store or Walmart. For under five bucks at that.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2017, 08:56:20 PM »
I wish I had a link but as it turns out this was just an awful tease.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2017, 10:35:59 PM »
Finished Una the Skyhunter today.

« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
*gapes*

Wow... I'm jealous! As usual.  ;D Keep painting, Dhi!

I plan to paint something today. I bought myself a container of distilled water and I'll try to use the advice I've heard across the last week. I'll see how it goes...

Offline Dhi

« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »
I'm glad you like it. My partner loves the American Southwest.

Are you trying any new techniques today with the distilled water?

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
ooff... that moment when you start painting again, and realize just how out of practice you are... at least on more smaller scale things...

That and you forgot to get flesh colors and such...

« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2017, 07:30:26 PM »
Are you trying any new techniques today with the distilled water?

I tried hair highlighting today :) The subject was female Ghulam Infantry soldier and she had hair that allowed for some fun with that...

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »
Beorning,

Here's an article on the Reaper site you might find helpful.

https://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/15

« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
Thank you! I'll read that :)

Meanwhile, yesterday's results - a female Ghulam Infantry soldier for Haqqislam:

Okay, I will admit that I'm very pleased with her! For the first time ever, I managed not to ruin the face. Also, there are a lot of details visible - and I managed to do shaded / highlighted hair! It doesn't show very good on the photos, but it looks very nice (IMHO) through the naked eye.

Seems like thinning the paints is definitely the way to go - also, could the distilled water really be of such importance?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2017, 03:11:32 AM »
I agree, great job preserving those teeny Infinity details. The first thing I thought when seeing the new pictures is that you're making noticeable progress on paint consistency. I can see her hair shadows and highlights best in the second picture.

There's certainly a logic to using distilled water for thinning paint. There are impurities in tap water, trace amounts of mineral salts (if it's groundwater), nitrates, chlorides, and fluoride.

I use flow improver, and Reaper's paints come saturated with it. Flow improver is a wild swerve in the direction of water impurity, so much so that it changes the behavior of water.

Here is Cat Zachary from Kingdom Death's Halloween Survivors.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2017, 05:21:54 AM »
Haha!hahaha!!!hahahahahahahahahahahahahhabahahahaaaaaaaa!!

Oh man... that totally makes me think of LadyBeard... https://www.google.com/search?q=ladybeard&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEye-z0L_UAhVlHGMKHUCEDawQ_AUICSgB&biw=360&bih=560

« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »
I agree, great job preserving those teeny Infinity details. The first thing I thought when seeing the new pictures is that you're making noticeable progress on paint consistency. I can see her hair shadows and highlights best in the second picture.

Great! :) I think they would show better if I was able to make a better picture... On that note: how do you manage to make such nice photos of your minis?

Here is Cat Zachary from Kingdom Death's Halloween Survivors.

Now, that's an... interesting mini :) But your paint job is exquisite! I especially like the details on the face.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2017, 06:47:36 PM »
I was always using a modest light box and twin photo lights. The lights you can get for about $25 a pair and you can make your own light box out of cardboard and wax or tinfoil paper windows for diffusion.

What changed to make them look much better was when I moved the setup out of a room with ambient daylight and into a dark room where the only light was indirect lighting from the photo lights. It seems like even though the daylight wasn't affecting the brightness of the photos, it was affecting how the camera processed color, and resulted in some washed out, muddy pictures.

Setting the ISO speed to my lowest setting of 80 also seems to help the camera process light.

« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2017, 03:47:52 PM »
You might want to slow down here :) It's been over two decades since I've read anything on photographic theory. So - what's a lightbox? And what's ISO?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2017, 07:21:38 AM »
A light box is also called a light tent, it's a light-permeable box you put between your high intensity lights and the thing you want to photograph, so inside you have diffused, even lighting instead of spotlight glare. If you're ever shopping for jewelry especially, it seems to be floating on a white background and the light is hitting it from all around, that's professional light boxing.

ISO is one of the settings on your camera adjusting how sensitive it is to light. If you use a smartphone camera without features, you might need to download an app like Camera Plus to adjust the ISO.

« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »
Okay, so! Has anyone painted anything recently?

Here are my two latest minis... Firstly, one I'm quite pleased with - the Naga hacker:

It looks so much better than the previous Naga (the sniper) - the details are reasonably visible and I found a better colour scheme, too. I liked the finished mini so much that I decided to buy another Naga sniper mini to create a better version of that trooper. The first attempt was quite disastrous...

And here's a second Dakini Tactbot:

Not much to say about this one - at least it's not as gloopy as the first one  ::) I tried a different approach to shading with this mini: first, I painted the white bits with a light gray paint, then painted most of it over with white colour. I hoped it'd result in some grey remaining in the crevices, but it's not really visible, I think...

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2017, 02:52:50 PM »
Ok! So, trying to get back into painting...

Working on Necron, inquisition, and Tyranid kill teams for Shadow Wars Armageddon.

Right now only got anything decent for my necron, and beside a D&D char..

Tick Tock Man (all the necrons are named after Masks of Nyarlathotep) is only one even a good portion painted, clean up around the eyes, shade metal plates some, and an Alt color for tesla carbine...

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »
Give your Necron bones a once or twice over with a bone color thinned a little with Vallejo Flow Improver and that will look sick.

Offline CopperLily

« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
Dhi, is that a Macro Mat I see in the backdrop?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »
The ones I have are made by Hangar 18 Miniatures. Looking at Macro Mats, I think I paid way too much for the same thing. Live and learn!

Offline Dhi

« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »
This is what I've been working on. There are a lot of mistakes as I try new things.

Nyrissa is an older Reaper metal from 2011. After a painting hiatus (not that anyone but me could probably tell) I went back to the metal bin to find something to practice on. That bin is long picked clean of the things I really wanted to paint, and now exists as a reminder of how much my hobby is driven by impulse purchases. Other painters call this the shelf of shame.

I wanted a warm, dark woody tone for her skin and went with oil washes. The result isn't great. I think the skin I do in acrylic is often better than this and takes a lot less time.

Aelis Keesan is from one of Corvus Belli's Dire Foes packs. She is a tohaa, an alien species in the Infinity universe. You might look at her head doodads and think, oh, she is basically like the stripper aliens from Star Wars or the Amazonian sex fiends from Mass Effect. But no, the doodads are foliage, and responsive to the tohaa scent language. It's pretty neat.

Hasht is from the same Dire Foes pack. He and Aelis Keesan are not friends, not at all! There's a bit of fiction wherein Hasht murdered Aelis' whole family and she is seeking revenge, which honestly I could do without. You know a character arc is written by boys when the bounty hunter's agency is to avenge her domestic bliss. How about she is just a cool bounty hunter instead.

Speaking of cool bounty hunters, Hazmat is the one miniature I bought the pack for.

Druze Hacker is the preorder bonus for the third edition Human Sphere books. I decided to glue her together completely before painting, because I am silly, just a very silly person.

Maghariba Piot, from Corvus Belli's Bootleg line. Something went wrong with the brightest highlight on the greens with this one, best demonstrated on the hood of whatever that is and the top of her butt. Something caused that highlight to have an incredible shine and not even look like the same kind of paint- even Dullcote did not help. I'm not sure what caused that reaction. The last time it happened, I was sure it was drying retarder additive, but I did not use any this time.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2017, 05:56:43 AM »
Here are some things I've been working on over the past two weeks.

USAriadna Devil Dog from Infinity. This was my first time applying stippling to a broad surface of leather. The contrast was too strong, so I covered it with a thin glaze of black- brown to try and make it look more weathered, less painted on.

Elvira Erza from Kingdom Death's Halloween survivors. Getting contrast down for a palette rich in black has been a goal ever since painting Fade. The black colors here, for the most part, are not pure black. A pure black base coat shows through highlights applied over it, which makes it difficult to pull highlights brighter without stark contrast. Starting with a slightly off-black makes highlighting easier because it shows up better, and the highlight color is already in the base black.

Cryx Satyxis Gunslingers were done almost entirely in white with glazes of saturated colors, magenta and teal. I think they turned out much better than the Cryx I was doing back in 2015 with solid colors of magenta and teal, which were a little cartoonish. These miniatures are still a little shiny and need to be hit with dullcote again when the weather permits. Plants are all bits of fake plastic flowers from Michael's. They needed to be soaked in Simple Green (a mild organic solvent) to get rid of the oily plastic coating before priming.

The third one (the one with a front and back shot) is the character I fell in love with and my reason for buying these. I love her short hair and her energy.

Offline eBadger

« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2017, 10:08:46 PM »
Amazing stuff, Dhi!  I've been into Firelock stuff recently: 

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
Model with boobelies!

Now thats a chaos Daemonette i could get behind....

But seriously that is some beautiful detail work on that.

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2017, 04:13:51 PM »
That's actually the Lady of Corruption from Creature Caster. But yeah, the detail on those models is insane. I'm waiting for when they do angels and stuff.

« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2017, 01:44:40 PM »
Hello again, guys!

Just to be quick (for now): I need help! I just had a total mini mishap and I need to fix it!

Basically, I tried glueing a mini together and it just kept not working. So, I kept glueing, reglueing, putting green stuff into joints... and in the end, the mini rolled under the bed and had dust and dirt stuck to it. :(

At this moment, the mini is covered in the CA glue, green stuff and dirt. I don't want to throw it away - so, is there a way of cleaning the mini? Is it possible to remove green stuff and CA glue from metal minis?

Help!

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »
Toss it in the freezer in a ziplock bag overnight, then in the morning carefully use a hobby knife to flake it away. superglue and greenstuff both get very brittle when frozen. As for the dirt, dish soap and a toothbrush once you got pretty much everything else off.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Hello!

You can strip a metal mini bare by letting it sit in acetone for a while. Paint will melt, greenstuff will soften, and CA glue will de-bond but might need to be flaked off with a toothbrush. It's a little harder to get de-bonded CA out of small grooves like glued together joints.

Acetone won't hurt a metal mini but it will completely destroy anything plastic.

« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2017, 02:02:40 PM »
Hmm. Any safety measures when working with acetone? Can I touch with my bare skin? Can I inhale it? Could I pour it into my bathroom sink?

*wonders if he even has any acetone at home*

Offline Dhi

« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »
It'll strip the oils from your skin and might cause redness and dryness. You can inhale it but it comes with an unpleasant odor to warn you when it's around because it is highly flammable.

You're supposed to dispose of it in a metal tin, but sufficiently diluted, it won't harm anything going down the sink.

Offline eBadger

« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2017, 02:10:09 PM »
I believe Simple Green and Purple Power will both work for that too.  Just let them soak a bit. 

« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2017, 02:13:35 PM »
It'll strip the oils from your skin and might cause redness and dryness. You can inhale it but it comes with an unpleasant odor to warn you when it's around because it is highly flammable.

You're supposed to dispose of it in a metal tin, but sufficiently diluted, it won't harm anything going down the sink.

I see. And do you know if it could damage a ceramic sink?

I believe Simple Green and Purple Power will both work for that too.  Just let them soak a bit. 

Not sure we have these over here...

Offline eBadger

« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »
They're cleaning agents.  Where are at? 

Acetone is paint thinner.  It's very commonly available at hobby or home stores and will have directions.  If dumping in the sink, just pour slowly into running water.  It shouldn't do anything to ceramic. 

« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
I see. I'll ask around, then.

On more positive note, here's my latest Infinity mini - Brad Pitt Achilles :)

I admit I'm genuinely proud of how he turned out! :)

« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
By the way, Dhi - I took a look back at the thread and as usual, I really like your output. I really am amazed on how much detail you managed to get on, say, Hasht. These scaly arms!

BTW. I see you painted the Druze Hacker. Coincidentally, it's the same mini that's heading for the acetone bath :D She's a great model and I don't want to lose her...

And here's a question: I see that you complained that you had glued her together before painting... So, I gather that you first paint the minis, then glue them together? Because that's the opposite of what I am doing currently?

Oh, could you - maybe - post some more photos of this mini? I really had trouble fitting the right arm...

Offline Dhi

« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »
Achilles looks great, awesome job on his face!

I'm very bad about putting everything together before I paint, and end up with places I just can't reach with a brush. Between Druze Hacker's thighs, the small of her back under her hair, under the rifle barrel, and under her left arm are just about impossible to detail when she's put together.

Sometimes there's no choice, like with Fade from Kingdom Death. Her cloak hangs over a ton of details. So I painted her body and cloak separately, but when it's time to glue the finished pieces together, the pressure gets to me. I get finger jitters and things don't always end up exactly where I wanted them in the time it takes insta-cure gel to set.

Druze Hacker's rifle rests on a groove in her hair. I'll try to get a clear photo of how it fits together for you.

« Reply #181 on: November 28, 2017, 01:20:37 AM »
Achilles looks great, awesome job on his face!

Thanks! I admit I kind of cheated and made the eyes using a nib of an ink pen. I can never paint proper eyes with a brush, no matter how small...

I'm very bad about putting everything together before I paint, and end up with places I just can't reach with a brush. Between Druze Hacker's thighs, the small of her back under her hair, under the rifle barrel, and under her left arm are just about impossible to detail when she's put together.

I see. I used to do that, too, back when I was painting WH40K - but Infinity minis can be tricky to glue together, so I prefer to glue them first and paint later. If anything happens (c.f. yesterday's misadventures), it's easier just to remove the glue, than to ruin the entire paintjob...

Druze Hacker's rifle rests on a groove in her hair. I'll try to get a clear photo of how it fits together for you.

I'd really be grateful!

Offline Dhi

« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2017, 04:14:02 PM »
Here's how the rifle rests on her shoulder

and against her hair

There are some small grooves to help you find the place.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2017, 11:39:59 AM »
Woo! Got my ironclad Dreadnought! And working on modifying it for two chain fists (the weapon on the left side).

Found a second one (to go on the proper side) cheap and waiting for it to show, gonna try and detail paint it to look like the flamers are heating up the blade..

WIll post more when i get it done!

« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »
Here's how the rifle rests on her shoulder

and against her hair

There are some small grooves to help you find the place.

Thanks!

I gave the Druze an acetone bath and the glue and greenstuff dissolved very nicely. So, I can try glueing this mini once again... I hope I get it right this time.

Offline Arkaniel

« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »
Amazing paintwork, Dhi!

Iíll see about getting some of my better models uploaded, too. Iím not good at painting by hand, or... better to say, the quality of my painting by hand is variable, but Iím slowly mastering the airbrush. A necessity for my YELLOW imperial fist.

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »
Well if you're open to the idea I am a commission painter with experience with 40k armies.

Offline Arkaniel

« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2017, 10:27:57 AM »
Well if you're open to the idea I am a commission painter with experience with 40k armies.

Sorry, not going to send my army out to commission. Even though my painting isnít a constant GOOD, I still enjoy the painting itself and when a couple of models come out nicely, Iím actually proud of my own work.

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2017, 12:05:38 PM »
I understand. But you can't blame a guy for trying right?

Offline Arkaniel

« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2017, 12:13:14 PM »
Indeed

Offline Dhi

« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
Got back into painting after being out for weeks, and started with a big project, Kingdom Death's Flower Witch.

Two afternoons spent casting different elements in resin for a custom forest log base with creeping ivy, another spent cleaning all the parts of my always-clogged airbrush and laying down zenithal highlights. Yesterday I gave the whole thing a glaze of olive. Today I put together a wet palette and started painting the skin.

And discovered my glaze medium is beyond its shelf date by ruining the whole thing. Glossy, cracking, color separation, just terrible.

It's my fault, I should have realized this stuff was getting old by the Hobby Lobby sticker. I haven't set foot in one of those since the court case. It sucks to have wasted like a week and all this enthusiasm on shoddy product.

Offline eBadger

« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
Ugh, that sucks.  I usually do that sort of thing with clear coat 🙄

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »
Hey Dhi, consider adding Vallejo Flow Improver and a little bit of water to your paint, mix it in the cup then cork the nozzle with the tip of your finger and give it just enough air that it back washes up into the paint to mix it up from underneath. I do about 40% Flow Improver, 30% water, and 30% paint. Rarely have any clogging issues. If I do, I just wet the tip of a Q-Tip and pulling back on the trigger without giving it any air lightly spin it around in the nozzle to clear away any paint.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #193 on: December 24, 2017, 06:22:12 AM »
You cut primer with water and flow improver?

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »
I use Stynylrez Primers with very little problems.  But if it's fairly dry or I DO see clogging happen, I add a little Vallejo Paint Thinner to the pot, stir with an old brush, backflow it, then use the q-tip and move forward like a boss. Here is a YouTube video about Thinner vs. Flow Improver and in it he shows how you can use Vallejo brush on primers through an airbrush using thinner.

Offline Arkaniel

« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »
What airbrush are you using and what is the needle/nozzle width?

I have the harder and Steinbeck airbrush and had clogging issues with white and yellow paints till I upgraded from .15mm to .4mm needles

Offline Dhi

« Reply #196 on: December 24, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »
The airbrush that always clogs is an Iwata HP-CS with .3mm needle.

I finished an old white metal Toughest Girls in the Galaxy this morning, but it is too cold outside to spray dullcote. It'll probably be a few months before I can post pictures again. In the meantime, I hope to get a lot more stuff done.

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
The airbrush that always clogs is an Iwata HP-CS with .3mm needle.

I finished an old white metal Toughest Girls in the Galaxy this morning, but it is too cold outside to spray dullcote. It'll probably be a few months before I can post pictures again. In the meantime, I hope to get a lot more stuff done.

Get some of the non-rattlecan varnishes from Vallejo or The Army Painter lines. Flow Improver, some water, and your varnish of choice and you're good to go.

Offline eBadger

« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2017, 09:07:33 PM »
I just get out all my minis and re apply a clear coat every spring.

It's a time honored tradition called "which ones have I not sprayed yet?   Fuck it, I'll just do them all"

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #199 on: December 25, 2017, 06:36:40 AM »
I just get out all my minis and re apply a clear coat every spring.

It's a time honored tradition called "which ones have I not sprayed yet?   Fuck it, I'll just do them all"

Use a bottle of white-out and apply a dot to the underside of the mini's you haven't varnished. Then once the varnish dries, scrape it off. That's how I sorted it out before I learned how to Varnish with an Airbrush.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2017, 12:16:45 AM »
Vampire Allister from the Kingdom Death Halloween grab bag is finished. That's 4/4 survivors done, 3/5 Disciples of the Witch, but back to square one on the Flower Witch centerpiece.  :-(

Offline Dhi

« Reply #201 on: December 31, 2017, 02:06:38 AM »
Pinup Twilight Order Knight is finished!

Offline Dhi

« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2018, 06:56:24 PM »
Kingdom Death Dark Elf Variant is finished. My goodness this drow is curvy!

All told I finished 80 pieces in 2017. This was enough to obliterate one Roubloff brush, which now looks like turkey foot grass. Thank you for your service, Roubloff #1.

Offline Arkaniel

« Reply #203 on: January 02, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »
Done a lot of work on my legio Custodes this week for the upcoming Horus heresy tournament.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #204 on: January 02, 2018, 03:55:07 PM »
... Damn. Those be fancy..

Offline Arkaniel

« Reply #205 on: January 02, 2018, 03:57:10 PM »
They are hopefully going to win a tournament for me. Haha.

2500 points of age of darkness legio custodes

Offline Dhi

« Reply #206 on: January 02, 2018, 07:39:14 PM »
Nice smooth gold, I love it.

Offline greenknight

« Reply #207 on: January 02, 2018, 09:45:11 PM »

Nice smooth gold, I love it.
They look like something out of a gloriously kitschy Flash Gordon homage! ;) :P

« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2018, 12:08:59 PM »
Vampire Allister from the Kingdom Death Halloween grab bag is finished.

Kingdom Death Dark Elf Variant is finished. My goodness this drow is curvy!

Photos or it doesn't count  ;D  ;D  ;D

BTW. I managed to assemble that dreaded Druze hacker I screwed up a month ago... Again, thank you for suggestions, Dhi :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:49:16 PM by Beorning »

Offline Dhi

« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2018, 06:17:54 PM »
Awesome! I'm glad you could salvage her.

Until we get some warmer weather here, pictures would be terrible. Worse than usual. The way I paint leaves a gloss finish that doesn't photograph well until hit with dullcote.

« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2018, 12:45:25 AM »
I see.

I don't have anything new to show, either - right now, I'm focusing on assembling the minis, not painting them. I want to actually start playing Infinity, it won't happen if I insist on painting each mini after assemblage ;)

« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »
Aaaaand... I actually went against what I wrote this morning and tried painting something new for Infinity (the female Hunzakut).

The results are... frustrating. Everything was going fine until I got to painting the face. The face... came out disastrous. I tried painting some basic eyes and the mini ended looking like a rotting zombie  >:( Crap! These faces are the bane of me.

Photos coming up after I base the mini...

Offline Arkaniel

« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »
Aaaaand... I actually went against what I wrote this morning and tried painting something new for Infinity (the female Hunzakut).

The results are... frustrating. Everything was going fine until I got to painting the face. The face... came out disastrous. I tried painting some basic eyes and the mini ended looking like a rotting zombie  >:( Crap! These faces are the bane of me.

Photos coming up after I base the mini...

I always give my marines helmets when I can, because Iím terrible at the faces, too!

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »
In the (in)famous words of Kenny Boucher, paint them glowing like superheroes or skip over them entirely because no matter how good you are it always looks crappy.

I hold to that. I rarely do more than paint white in an area established by the sculpt. Otherwise I leave it unpainted and say 'his/her eyes are closed at the moment'.

Offline eBadger

« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2018, 09:37:04 PM »
I've tried to do eyes a few times, but found that anything less than great ones just detract from the model, and they're a detail that's really not very impactful during actual play rather than zoomed in photos.  I stick to shadows and highlights. 

Offline Dhi

« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2018, 09:39:30 PM »
We had a quite nice day of 40, so I got that dullcote on.

Disciple of the Witch #??

Vampire Allister:

Hildegard von Kronigsmark

Pinup Twilight Order Knight:

Dark Elf Variant:

Offline eBadger

« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2018, 09:42:06 PM »
Those drow skin tones are fantastic!

Offline Dhi

« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2018, 09:52:23 PM »
Thank you!

From darkest to lightest, those colors are

RMS Dusky Skin Shadow + 1/2 drop violet ink
RMS Dusky Skin Shadow + VMC English Uniform + 1/3 drop violet ink
RMS Dusky Skin + VMC English Uniform + 1/3 drop violet ink
RMS Dusky Skin Highlight + VMC English Uniform + 1/3 drop violet ink
VMC Deck Tan + VMC English Uniform + 1/4 drop violet ink

« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2018, 03:28:59 AM »
Very nice, as usual, Dhi :)

I especially like the glowing staff of the Disciple. Very nice colours!

« Reply #219 on: January 06, 2018, 02:30:39 PM »
Alright, here's the promised Hunzakut:

I'm not satisfied with her - mostly because I really ruined her face. But, oh well - she should look fine on the tabletop...

(BTW. Do you guys see the photos in this post? I'm not sure if they are coming through...)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:51:47 PM by Beorning »

Offline eBadger

« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
No pics  :-(

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »
Tried c&p ing the links, but looks like site doesnt allow hotlinks.

Might wanna start up imgur account for pic sharing,

« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2018, 03:47:55 PM »
Okay, I put the images on Imgur (I hope it's free?).

So... here's the Hunzakut. As I said, not that good effort...

Offline Dhi

« Reply #223 on: January 08, 2018, 08:24:27 AM »
I've just finished something I'm not satisfied with either, so I know the feeling. It's better than bare metal, right?

Offline eBadger

« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2018, 01:24:07 AM »
I hate the feeling of things not turning out as good as I imagined them.  Hard to tell from the lighting and pic quality, but looks like maybe thin your paints a bit more and use some washes?

« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2018, 03:03:54 PM »
Yeah, I've realized that, for some reason, I forgot to thin the skin paint when painting the face...  ::)

Offline Dhi

« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2018, 05:35:12 PM »
Working with two Nasmat drones from Infinity's infamous antenna period, one antenna popped off in the first five minutes, and the other popped off before I finished basecoating. I glued those with Bondic, it's solid plastic.

Into the trash those fiddly antennas go! The drones look better without them anyway.

Offline Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2018, 08:37:29 PM »
Tamiya Plastic Cement will fix most of that problem. It bonds everything into a solid piece of plastic because it chemically melts the plastic enough to generate the bond without deforming the model. It even comes with a nifty brush applicator.

« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2018, 10:05:24 AM »
Working with two Nasmat drones from Infinity's infamous antenna period, one antenna popped off in the first five minutes, and the other popped off before I finished basecoating. I glued those with Bondic, it's solid plastic.

Into the trash those fiddly antennas go! The drones look better without them anyway.

What a coincidence! I admit that I assembled one of the Nasmats last week or so (the second one waits on the shelf, ready for assembly) and I didn't have too much of a problem with it. Even with the antenna. Lately, I tend to enhance almost all of the joints with small bits of greenstuff - it really helps!

Of course, I don't know how long will the antenna stay in its place, especially if I ever try to transport the drone - but right now, the mini is primed, based and still in one piece :)

Offline Dhi

« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »
It felt foolish to try to attach them again. The next time they pop off, they were going to take a good chunk of blending with them. Into the trash!

Those Nasmats are finished. The Red Veil Tuareg is next on the table.

Offline eBadger

« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »

One of my holiday projects; 28mm scale, the thing is massive. 

Offline Dhi

« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
Wow, I love it!

Online Sprikut

« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »
Investing in some music wire and micro drill bits is a god send for infinity pieces. Super simple to pin when. Your bit is 0.02mm

Offline Dhi

« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2018, 05:15:34 PM »
Tuareg is finished! Dunno what I want to paint next.

Offline Arkaniel

« Reply #234 on: January 14, 2018, 02:22:03 AM »
Iím currently experimenting with getting a red metal sheen for my custodes. I did normal red because I though it looked good, but itís actually pretty boring.

And I finished 9 inceptors in a week!

« Reply #235 on: January 14, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »
Dhi, you know what's worse than Infinity antennas? For, it's minis that hold the guns with two hands. Yes, they look great - I love those dynamic poses of taking aim etc. But glueing these minis is a nightmare for me!

Yesterday, I tried glueing the Grenzer from the Icestorm box:

I spent half an hour trying to do this, but I gave up. I kept succeeding with attaching one of the arms, but when I tried to fit the other one, it just didn't work - I couldn't make the arms connect correctly and everything kept falling apart. Eventually, I ended up with another dirty mini in need of acetone bath. Aaaaargh!

Anyway, congratulations on the Tuareg. Wow, you're fast!

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #236 on: January 14, 2018, 11:22:33 AM »
I had issues with getting my redemptor together as such... The rest of the model was pretty easy (though some post set issues with the power arm, very flimsy put together style, needs to take some notes from Gunpla things. Ended up snapping and i had to green stuff and glue it all together in one pose)

the worst was the legs, which had bad instructions, and a weird style. Once i had it all together when i stood it for a pose the torso would have been aiming up in a weird  angle (like the dude was extreme hip thrusting) ended up having to snap the very well super glued legs off, and spent almost TWO HOURS realigning them til they looked good, nothing like the model was intended, but i think it has a neat little "action running pose".

but lord.. it felt like a trial to get done at the end, specially with bit of panic on "am i going to have to scrap the legs of a freaking 60 dollar kit..?"

Offline Dhi

« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2018, 11:27:38 AM »
I know exactly what you mean! Tuareg's wrist is half a millimeter off even after test fitting. But I filled the rest with some magic sculpt, and I think it looks okay.

Kingdom Death's Before The Wall, and Gui Feng Xi Zhuang and the Mad Caps from Infinity's Dire Foes 6 are next on the table. I guess I'm into painting lil robots right now.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2018, 12:06:17 PM »
hehe! Best to! i need to get my models primed and start painting again myself... Though, with days off changed i now no longer have anybody to play with RL :I

Offline Dhi

« Reply #239 on: Yesterday at 06:34:41 PM »
Gui Feng Xi Zhuang and Mad Traps are done.