You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 24, 2016, 08:28:57 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: A Treasure Trove of Imagination (M/F, F/F, M/M) (Long-Term) (Plot-Driven)  (Read 1267 times)

Offline ErythriteTopic starter

Erythrite's Ideas

Status: Not actively looking, tentatively open to discussion.
I am very tentatively open for new RPs, but encourage anyone who thinks we would be a good fit and is interested in one or more of my plot ideas to contact me.  Detailed PMs including what you would bring to the plot and your own ideas and elaborations will be most likely to receive a favorable response.  All PMs will be replied to, even if it's just to say that I'm not interested at the moment.

Hello. And thank you for stopping by my search thread.  You may call me Erythrite or just Ery, if you wish.  If you want to contact me, please do so through PMs and do not post here so I can keep things neat and tidy.  I have attempted to outline my likes and dislikes as best I can in my O/O page and I am always adding and updating that page as I think of things, so please take a look at it to see if we would be compatible as RPers.  You can also find links to my current RPs in the second post of my O/Os to get an idea of my writing style and the expectations I have of partners.  Here are a few of the basics to give you an idea of whether you are interested in delving deeper:

Story.  I am looking for long-term, plot-based stories.  We don't need to hash out the whole plot right away and you won't see many incredibly detailed plots listed here, mostly because I like the plotting to be an ongoing give-and-take between partners that can evolve, grow, and change as we go.  However, I do expect the plot to be a major focus throughout.  I am not interested in anything sex-based.  Also, just because a theme/setting/etc. might not be listed among my current ideas, does not mean I'm not interested!  I welcome people to contact me with their own ideas, since sharing ideas and building off of what someone else has come up with is a big part of the fun of collaborative writing.

Medium Posting Rate.  I post as my muse and my free time dictates, but I am very aware of trying not to keep my partners waiting for too long.  Also, if I'm really invested in a story, I usually can't wait to post, so I'll find the time to get to it before too long.  That being said, I can't consistently promise a post a day, though there will be times when I might very well give you more than that.  Typically, my personal rule is to try to get a post out within two days of getting a reply, and I'm usually pretty good at keeping to that.  I would like for my partners to post at least once a week, but that is not required.  I have enough on my RP plate that I will not go crazy waiting if you are a slow poster.  Also, I will almost never drop a game if my partner has to take a hiatus.  If I was interested in the first place, I'll likely still be interested when it's time to pick it up again.

Detailed and Literate Posts.  I'm looking for partners who are not afraid of details and have a good understanding of English spelling and grammar.  I do believe in quality over quantity, and in some scenes there just isn't a lot to say, but if you're consistently giving me far less than I'm giving you, we're going to have a problem.  I won't fuss over small mistakes, but too many mistakes to the point that I have trouble understanding your post says to me that you're either not capable of communicating well enough in English, or you're being lazy, neither of which are ideal qualities in a writing partner for me.  In addition, I want to enjoy reading what my partners write, so I expect a certain level of skill and fluency (though by no means perfection).  If you are in the process of learning English, I have nothing but respect for you - I love learning languages myself and have tutored others in two languages.  However, RPing with me is not the way to learn English.  I'd be happy to chat with you, but when it comes to RPing, I don't want to feel like I'm the teacher and my partner is the student.

Complex Characters. I am obsessed with character development.  If you intrigue me with an interesting character pitch, I will definitely be excited to write with you.  My idea of a good character is one with both strengths and weaknesses, good and bad sides, and a character who certainly is not perfect or all-powerful; defined as much, if not more, by their flaws than their skills.  The character should be believable for the setting and have an at least partially thought-out background and personality, though I don't demand profiles for every character I RP with.

Forums.  I'm not interested in playing by messenger, PM, or email.  Sorry.

Pairings. I write both male and female characters, and will do M/M, F/F, or M/F romantic pairings.  I will also do nonromantic pairings, nonsexual pairings, and play characters pretty much anywhere on the demi/pan/bi/asexual spectrum.  I don't care about what gender my writing partners are; I only care about the quality of their writing.  Most of my ideas tend to come out as M/F as I often like the complexity of having both genders represented as main characters, but might change to M/M or F/F if you give me a compelling reason to.  The ones that are listed as M/M or F/F I'll probably be less open to changing, but feel free to ask.  I'm also willing to write multiple characters per story and as many NPCs as are needed, or even sometimes take on a 'GM' role, or write a character for someone else to GM.  I have never written as/opposite a trans or ambiguously sexed character, but I would be willing to do so provided the issue was dealt with tastefully and not used purely for the sake of sexual exploitation.

I do not take a first-come, first-served approach to RPing.  I assess potential partners for compatibility.  Please do not be offended if I decide not to write with you; it's nothing personal, nor is it likely to be a reflection of your skill, but rather because I simply think we wouldn't be compatible, and I've learned that it's better not to try to force it with writers I'm not very compatible with.  I am looking for people who I am excited to write with, and who are excited to write with me.  Because I have been lucky enough to find so many good partners on E, I am currently not actively looking for new people to RP with, however I like to be open to discussion with people who think we might be compatible.  Please keep in mind that my limited time dictates that I will be picky regarding brainstorming as well; I wouldn't want to lead anyone on if I don't think we would work well together, and of course brainstorming takes time and effort as well.

Rules for Contacting Me.  If you would like to contact me, please do so through PM only.  I typically don't use offsite means to communicate with RP partners unless we already know each other very well.  Please don't nag me if I don't reply to your PM right away.  I'll get to it.  It's a personal rule that I never leave people hanging, even if it's only to say 'I'm not interested.'  Before you PM me asking to RP, please read my O/O page and take some time to look through my current stories to get an idea of my writing style and what I expect from partners.

*A note on inspirational pictures: all pictures in this thread should be SFW.  They are meant to give a feel for the story as well as provide some possible options for character appearances, but none are required to be used with the stories they are tagged to.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:28:43 PM by Erythrite »

History/Alternate History

The Bloody Countess In Discussion
Potential pairings: M/F, F/F
Setting: Flexible.  Preferably an alternate 1500s-1600s Central or Eastern Europe
Elements and Themes: Moral ambiguity, brutality of war/disease/famine, difficulties of ruling/power, mental illness, woman in a man's world, forbidden romance
I will play: The Countess
Death and brutality have been a part of her life since childhood.  Happiness was not on the agenda when there were lands to manage, a man to marry, heirs to produce, wars to fight (and finance) and traitors to punish.  But with her husband dead and her first child stillborn, she finds herself alone and suddenly struck with thoughts of her own mortality and what kind of legacy she will leave behind.  To others, she is a powerful, eligible, and still young widow waiting to be snapped up, but for the first time she is the director of her own life and will let nothing stand between her and her desires and ambitions.  As she confronts the harsh realities of war, greed, betrayal, hardship, and her own inner demons, only one person has a hope of keeping her from slipping beyond the point of no return, though that very person may prove to be her undoing as well.
I imagine this to be a very dark story with many elements of stark realism, though for the sake of my sanity, it will be set in somewhat of an alternate universe so as not to contradict facts too blatantly.  The idea of the countess is a bit of an amalgam of various powerful women throughout history, many of whom were considered great yet also rather unbalanced.  This is the feel I would like to find with the character; teetering on the line between madness and greatness, rather than pushing her too far to either side.  As for her partner, I imagine not one of the men who will come to court her, but someone below her station or otherwise inappropriate for her who manages to bring out a softer side of her and attempts to keep her from slipping too far into madness or self-destruction.  A F/F pairing is just as possible as a M/F pairing for this one as I definitely imagine the character to be bisexual and equally attracted to both genders.  Age difference is possible; either making the countess a bit older and her consort fairly young, or pairing her with an older person who may start out as a mentor or adviser to her.
Visual Inspiration

Business and Personal
Potential pairings: M/M
Setting: Colonial India
Elements and Themes: Culture clash, taboo relationship, interracial relationship, moral quandaries
I will play: Either
When the company sent him to India to supervise their operations in Bombay, he thought his superiors mad; he'd never been out of England, and knew next to nothing of the ways of the Indians.  Thankfully, he's been assigned a local guide to help him adjust.  But what happens when the two develop a friendship deeper than either expected...a friendship that might develop into something more?  And how will it impact the budding relationship when the guide learns what his new employer is truly there to oversee?
I see this being a story about repression and prejudice.  The British man I see as a very proper, uptight sort who will be incredibly reluctant to admit he has romantic feelings for another man, while the Indian man will be somewhat more accepting of his feelings, albeit aware of British social conventions, and his own family's expectations that he marry and have children.  I also imagine that things would be made more difficult by what is expected of the British man for his work, which would involve some exploitation of the Indian countryside/people; perhaps excessive stripping of resources or slave labor; something that his guide would object to.  I see this being a rather low-key romance that may not have a happy ending.
Visual Inspiration

Going Straight
Potential pairings: M/F
Setting: 1950s UK or US
Elements and Themes: Criminal activity, vigilantism, redemption
In the wake of a time when clever people were able to make a fortune doing reprehensible things, two such people have started over - new names, new careers; newly reformed productive members of the community.  But such people weren't really made for the dullness of mundane life; he is constantly belittled at his boring office job, passed over for promotions in favor of the boss's friends, and she is subject to rampant sexism and disrespect as she tries to make a career for herself in journalism.  When he finally snaps and kills a man who attempts to mug him on the street, he's reminded of the excitement of the criminal life, and quickly falls into his old habits; but this time with a twist.  The targets of his crimes are other criminals.  In the sudden crime spree she sees her big break, but is eventually drawn into his world of violent vigilantism as a willing partner, as her own skills are rather well-fitted to the job...
Who they were and what they did in their 'old' lives is up for discussion.  They don't have to be American or British; in fact it might be better if they weren't, because it would make sense for them to move to a new country in order to get a fresh start.  This is essentially a story about two people who want to be good, but just aren't quite built for it.  As such I imagine this story to revolve not around a lack of morality, but around a very skewed and personal sense of morality.  I imagine this to be a very violent story, and I picture the relationship between the two to be an almost addictive situation.  They sate each other in all the right - and wrong - ways.
Visual Inspiration

Key Witness
Setting: 1950s or earlier, location flexible
Elements and Themes: Crime, violence, moral quandaries
This is a fairly flexible idea based on the central dynamic of one character being a witness to something and the other needing to protect them from those who want to keep them from sharing what they know, especially in front of a judge.  I could imagine this taking place anywhere from the 1920s to the 1950s, and the 'case' could be something gang-related or perhaps something much larger; some sort of international issue.  I'm also willing to flip the usual stereotype and have the woman be the one protecting the man, though I do imagine this one as definitely M/F.
Visual Inspiration
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:09:48 PM by Erythrite »

Historical Fantasy

Curses and Conspiracies
Setting: Mythical Ancient China
Elements and Themes: Martial Arts/Wuxia, Chinese mythology, forced partnership
I will play: The male character
After almost single-handedly quashing the Red River Rebellion, a wide-spread and violent peasant uprising, honored general Zheng Tianyu set his sights higher and soon claimed the title of emperor for himself. Debates of succession had long occupied the former royal line, and he believed it his grim and solemn duty to purge the imperial court of its petty schemers and blatant debauchery. All the while, foreign invaders skirmish at China's borders and discontent continues to grow amongst the tribes in the southern lands.
She is a cloistered martial sister with an unfortunate aptitude for spirits who believes that she hears the voices of the gods, and he is an indirect victim of the purge of the imperial court, and some might say one of the last remaining members of the 'true' imperial family.  Having recently split from the Beggar's Sect over his 'questionable moral outlook', he has taken to the life of a wanderer and is truly alone for the first time in his life, which suits him just fine.  Unfortunately for him, his solitude is not to last.  When she receives an ominous vision, one in which he is mysteriously at the forefront of, she appoints herself as his companion and the two embark on a mad journey.
I can't take full credit for this idea, as it is one I built with a partner a long time ago but never got the chance to play out.  I would like there to be some level of seriousness in this story, but I don't want it to be all doom and gloom.
Visual Inspiration

Blood and Steel
Setting: Napoleonic Wars and onwards
Elements and Themes: Supernatural fantasy, vampires, age/experience difference, clashing personalities, difficult romance, major historical events
He is a poor yet driven Russian soldier, one of many to enlist as his only means of social and financial advancement, only to eventually have his tenacity and skill fail him; falling at the bloody Battle of Bordino.  She is an ancient vampire from decadent Southern Europe, following Napoleon's advancing troops into Russia to gorge herself on the blood of the slain.  When she finds him nearly dead on the battlefield, she turns him on a whim, lonely and desirous of a more permanent companionship than what humans can provide.  Faced with a new life he never asked for and a sire different from him in almost every way who refuses to conform to his expectations of women, how will he adjust and what challenges will the two face through the ages?
I see this being a very character-driven story.  Both characters would have strong personalities and some difficulties getting along at first.  Ideally, this story would span several decades or longer to take a broader view of the lives (afterlives?) of these two characters and how they impact history, as well as how the historical events they live through impact them.  I might be willing to set the starting point earlier, so long as it was during a major war.
Visual Inspiration

The Siren's Call
Setting: Fantasy/Golden Age of Piracy
Elements and Themes: Ocean lore, partnership of convenience, possessiveness, exploitation
He is known to all honest seafaring folk and pirates alike; a young captain who seems to have the very elements on his side.  Of course, he actually does have the elements on his side, though that power did not come without a price.  Found on the verge of drowning several years earlier by a mythical siren, she granted him both his life and his powers, but in exchange he remains bonded to her and at her beck and call until she sees fit to release him.  Tired of his forced servitude, he seeks out one who might be able to break the spell; a woman with siren blood.  But if his mistress discovers what he is up to, she will not be happy...
Although I imagine the relationship could have been sexual at some point, I'm not really interested in playing up a heavy 'dom/sub' sexual angle with the captain and the siren.  The relationship will be more about non-sexual exploitation and entitled possessiveness than love or lust.  I imagine one of the dynamics in the story to be the captain's eventual realization that he is exploiting his 'ally' in much the same way he himself was exploited, since I see her as a woman with unconventional aspirations that he will only help her with if she helps him.  I would like the fantasy element here to be a little more low-key than in something like, say, Pirates of the Caribbean.  I'd like to include some historical realism such as reference to specific events as well.
Visual Inspiration
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 03:05:21 AM by Erythrite »

A Howling Wilderness
Potential pairings: M/F, M/M, F/F
Setting: Arctic Fantasy
I don't have a specific plot for this so much as I do a vague idea of a fantasy setting in an arctic land where in the winter the sun rarely shows itself, but in summer it rarely retreats, and the ground is never entirely devoid of frost.  I see this being less about magic than about the fantastical and very dangerous creatures that accompany the already dangerous elements.  I would like the two characters to be thrust together by necessity; perhaps one a local of this harsh clime and the other a 'softer' type in need of protection.
Visual Inspiration

The Sacrifice
Setting: Arabian Fantasy
Elements and Themes: Religion and superstition, mythical fantasy
She is meant to be the sacrifice to appease a fearsome creature.  But what happens when the creature shows up to claim her and proves to be significantly less fearsome than his reputation suggests...and entirely unprepared to accept a human sacrifice?
The guy here could be actually some sort of supernatural being, but less ferocious than believed, or just a very skilled human con artist who's taken advantage of people's superstitions so that they'll 'sacrifice' various things to him.  I'd also like to see an even bigger big bad who has it out for him for some reason.  Perhaps the creature he's been impersonating actually returns?  I'd like to play around with region-specific mythology and give it a distinctly Arabian fantasy (as opposed to more default generic fantasy) spin.
Visual Inspiration

A Tale of Two Apprentices
Setting: Fantasy, flexible
Elements and Themes: Competition, pre-existing history, heavy/overt fantasy/magic use, opposites attract
They have known each other practically forever; the only two apprentices taken by the most powerful mage to have ever lived.  Their vastly different skills and outlooks are nearly as opposite as night and day, dictating that they have not always gotten along or seen fact they rarely have.  Their differences have never kept them from attempting to outdo each other however, and from the time their master was no longer around to force them to stay in line, they have each been determined to prove themselves the more powerful and worthy of the two.  Their master chose well however, as neither is ever able to entirely overcome the other.  When they fight, they cancel each other out, but when they can manage to work together, they complement, and are more powerful than any single practitioner could be.  But what will it take for them to see that?
Visual Inspiration

Hunter and Seer
Setting: Dark fantasy, flexible
Elements and Themes: Reversal of gender roles, soulbonding, reluctant partnership
It is typical for those who hunt the dangerous creatures of the dark lands to become soulbound with seers who keep them safe in their sacred duty.  Hunters are almost always male and seers almost always female...but this time, in an extreme rarity, the roles have been reversed.
The story for this one could go in almost any direction, though I'd like to really get into the types of 'monsters' the characters would hunt; make them terrifying and disgusting and original.  I'm not just looking for your typical vampires, demons, etc. or a default D&D type fantasy world.  I would like to get fairly deep into world building with this one and would love someone to collaborate with.  Aside from the basic ideas, the details are very open.
Visual Inspiration

Not-So Happily Ever After
Setting: Fantasy, flexible
Elements and Themes: Deception, manipulation, loss of innocence, love triangle
She got her fairy tale ending; a poor, common girl noticed by the prince and whisked away to a life of riches and luxury the likes of which she had only before dreamed about.  The novelty wears off quickly though when she realizes that her marriage was one of political strategy more than the love she'd thought was between her and her prince, and she and the prince barely seem to have anything in common at all.  When she is approached by a man with plans to topple the monarchy who asks for her help, will she turn her back on her life of privilege to aid his cause?
There are a lot of different ways this story could go, depending on my partner's preferences.  We could make the prince or the second man the outright villain, or keep it in a bit of a moral grey area.  I'm also willing to have the girl end up with the second man, or the prince (either when they realize they do actually love each other, or simply out of duty and convenience) or neither.  Or, we could simply start off with a basic idea and let the characters choose.  The amount of magic in this story is also up for discussion, as it could either be played very heavily, or almost nonexistent.  I would want whoever was writing the prince to also write the second man, and the other person would write the girl, and possibly other characters.
Visual Inspiration

The Paladin and the Monster
Setting: Sword and sorcery fantasy
Elements and Themes: Redemption, dark romance, opposites attract
I will play: The Monster
He is a paladin, renowned for his long years of service in ridding the land of the evil beasts that plague it.  When his latest quest brings him to the lair of a reclusive monster, he finds a creature both more human and more ruthless than he was expecting.
I'm imagining sort of a gender-swapped Beauty and the Beast story, though the 'monster' here probably won't transform into a beautiful woman; I'd rather just have her somewhere in the middle from the start; not beautiful, but not completely monstrous either.  The main issue between her and the hero would be her rather loose take on morality, with him being a very staunch, moralistic, 'white knight' type.
Visual Inspiration

The Madman's Legacy
Setting: Medieval fantasy
Elements and Themes: Political intrigue, light/minimal fantasy, action/adventure, age difference
I will play: The madman's daughter
She was no more than a child when her beloved father, the brother of the king, captain of the royal guard, and one of the most trusted men in the kingdom, purportedly succumbed to madness and attempted to murder her cousin, the infant prince, so that she would one day ascend the throne.  He was found guilty of treason and executed for the crime, but his young daughter was permitted to live and was raised alongside her cousin, amidst whispers that the strange girl would one day follow in her father's footsteps.  Treated well but marginalized and left largely to her own devices, she found solace among those who had once been close to her father; the royal guardsmen, whose secret combat training was the brightest spot in her life.  As her cousin succeeds his aging father to the throne, the kingdom is pitched into chaos; peasants overworked, pointless wars fought for the sake of glory, lands sucked dry of resources to feed the greed of the young king.  Her attempts to advise against her cousin's folly leaves her branded a traitor and condemned to death.  From royal to outlaw, she must rely on the help of a man who has known her since childhood; a man who assures her that the people would follow her as queen.  Is she destined to finish her father's work after all?
I figure the male character here would be a member of the royal guard; quite a bit older than her, who trained her when she was young.  I'm open to other ideas though.
Visual Inspiration

A Distant Sound of Rain
Potential Pairings: M/F, M/M, F/F
Setting: Sub-Saharan African fantasy
Elements and Themes: Hero epic, African mythological fantasy
I have only a vague idea for a plot; one that would essentially involve a hero's quest, perhaps by a warrior and an oracle type character.  The story structure would be fairly familiar, but the setting would be somewhat unconventional.  Though the initial idea I had in mind would be sort of a hero epic where the main character(s) save their people from some primordial evil, I am strongly drawn to the idea of African fantasy, so I would be willing to consider a variety of different plots in this setting, either based on actual myths or completely original.  I wouldn't expect historical accuracy for this story, but would welcome a willingness to research and incorporate actual historical and cultural elements.
Visual Inspiration
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:51:03 PM by Erythrite »

Modern/Urban Fantasy

Urban Decay
Setting: Dark urban fantasy
Elements and themes: Moral ambiguity, immortality, secret societies
The world seemed larger then; too many dark, unexplored corners of the globe, too much left unexplained, too much danger and uncertainty.  They were necessary then; the 'guardians of humanity', as they had once so arrogantly and self-righteously called themselves; more often than not guarding humanity from each other and themselves.  In time, electric lights lit the darkness, and reason conquered superstitious ignorance.  Mythical heroes were no longer needed, but that didn't mean they were all willing to fade into oblivion, even when it seemed the very power that kept them sustained was fading from the world, and they had to resort to more and more desperate means of keeping themselves youthful and powerful.  Perhaps, eventually, the selfish need to linger in a changing world became more important than the purpose they had once pledged themselves to.  This is the story of those who lived long enough to see themselves become the villains.
This is a loose idea as far as technicalities are concerned, but there is a very distinct feel to it; it is a story about, essentially, washed-up and not always morally sound mythical heroes.  The characters in the story may or may not actually be mythical heroes of history, but they will certainly identify with them and have egos to match.  I imagine this story rife with things like blood rituals and age-old feuds.  The characters should be anti-heroes at best, perhaps creeping into villain territory at worst, though not cartoonishly so.  The psychology, motivations, and backstories of the characters would be very important in this story, and I would love to have someone to iron out the details with.
Visual Inspiration
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:31:41 PM by Erythrite »

Science Fiction

Potential pairings: M/F, F/F
Setting: Far future sci-fi, space travel/colonization
Elements and Themes: Very slow building relationship, survival, heavy genetic and cybernetic modification, cultural differences
I will play: The colonizer
She was part of humanity's best hope for colonization of distant planets; heavily modified both through genetic tweaking and cybernetic implants to be long-lived, durable, adaptable, and capable of surviving long periods of cryo-sleep.  She was sent away in her own auto-piloted ship equipped with all the tools to seed a human society.  Arriving several hundred years later on a planet never before seen by the eyes of an intelligent being, she wakes to find the majority of her supplies and equipment destroyed.  Unable to fulfill her mission, she is left with no option but to make a solitary life for herself on this new planet...but she can't really complain.  That was what she was made for, isn't it?  Though alternating periods of wakefulness and cryo-sleep, she endures hundreds, perhaps even thousands of years.  She sees the planet evolve around her, waking to a new world every time.  Then, suddenly, her life of solitude is shattered when another ship from Earth arrives; this one carrying living humans.
I've had the idea for this character for a long time, and I think with the right partner this could be an amazing story.  This would be a very slow and difficult romance, and might not even be a 'romance' at all in the most typical sense of the word.  I've left the role of the other character intentionally open, but I will be very picky about what sorts of characters I will consider for the role.
Visual Inspiration

The Bodyguard
Potential pairings: M/F, M/M
Setting: Modern or near future light sci-fi
Elements and Themes: Gray morality, unlikely romance
I will play: The scientist
He is a brilliant young scientist working for one of the most powerful companies in the world to develop cutting-edge and controversial new medical treatments.  After an attempt on his life on his way to work by 'radicals' who oppose his research, he is assigned a bodyguard by the corporation.  The two have little in common and at first barely speak, both annoyed at the necessity of being in almost constant company with the other.  Eventually an unlikely connection begins to form between them, just as they begin to suspect that the corporation might not be quite what it says it is...
I'd be open to either a male or a female character as the bodyguard.  Exact specifics of what the scientist is working on and what the company plans to do with it can be discussed.
Visual Inspiration

Potential pairings: M/F, M/M, F/F, other
Setting: Matrix-style virtual reality vs. reality
Elements and Themes: Psychological horror, discovery, reality blur
This idea is still very basic in my mind, but essentially I would like to do a story in a Matrix-like virtual reality world that for some reason or other is beginning to crumble.  However, rather than having the humans trapped in this world by the machines, I would like the twist to be that this is essentially the only way for humans to survive because the 'real' world is no longer viable for biological life.  The 'machines' in this case will be caretaker AIs which manifest as people with 'powers' (unknown to the general populace) in the virtual reality world.  I would like the plot to center around the discovery of the truth, and the eventual need to leave the virtual world in order to make some sort of 'repairs' in the real world.  The danger here will come mostly from the environment rather than antagonists, though some AIs with 'conflicting ideas' about how humans should be treated could be incorporated.  Human/AI romance would also be an interesting angle to explore with this one.
Visual Inspiration

Forsaken Planet
Potential pairings: M/F, M/M, M/F, any/other
Setting: Far future penal colony planet
Elements and Themes: Survival, criminals, brutality, multiple sentient races, grey morality, harsh environments
It is a small and isolated planet with few natural resources and no strategic value; the perfect place to dump the universe's criminals; those who have committed the most horrifying crimes, those who have committed relatively minor infractions, and maybe a few unlucky people that someone, somewhere, just wanted to get rid of.  Supplies are scarce and life is hard.  Those who survive do so either through exceptional intelligence...or exceptional brutality.
I have less in the way of a specific storyline for this and am more just intrigued by the setting and the multitude of possibilities it offers.  Perhaps the plot could revolve around the attempt to build a ship capable of getting off-planet, or it could be the story of how a few people attempt to bring order and create something akin to an actual society on the planet.  This would be the perfect setting to explore 'exotic' pairings and I probably wouldn't really want to play (or play opposite) a human unless each partner took on multiple characters.
Visual Inspiration

No Mercy
Potential pairings: M/F, F/F, M/M
Setting: Dark sci-fi
Elements and Themes: Class struggles, debt, murder, mind control
With the world population exceeding 20 billion, natural resources are all but gone, and what's left is firmly under the control of the wealthiest 1% of the massive population, leaving everyone else to suffer from starvation, exposure, and disease in the expansive slums that cover the majority of the planet.  There is one way out of this living nightmare for those who are born into it; become a donor.  Registered donors are taken from the slums and given proper homes in clean cities, medical care, clean water, good food, and are often not even required to work.  The catch is that when one of their body parts is needed to save the life of one of the 1%, it is simply taken...sometimes leaving them dead, other times maimed, weak, in pain, but still 'viable' for future harvests.  The collectors are the ones who do the grisly work; once considered failed experiments from the era of cybernetic experimentation, they have been revived to do the dirty work that no self-respecting 'human' would do.  They are reliable and ruthless, but when one accidentally breaks free of their programming and decides to help their target rather than harvest them, it quickly becomes a situation that threatens the entire system.
Visual Inspiration

Alone Together
Setting: Futuristic hard sci-fi
Elements and Themes: Isolation, survival, potential horror
Mining in the asteroid belt is a dirty, thankless, and lonely job; thankfully mostly done by drones.  However, the system has not yet been streamlined to the point that no human interaction is needed.  For one such mining outpost, exactly two people are required for the job.  They will spend years at their post, seeing no one but each other, and if something goes wrong, they'll have no one but each other to rely on.
There are a lot of options for this story; it could be a tamer romance mostly about the characters' relationship, or it could go more in a survival horror direction when something goes wrong at the facility; think something along the lines of the movie 'Gravity.'  It would also be interesting to explore different motivations for the characters to be there.  Maybe one is an ex-con looking for a  fresh start, or one of the characters could be working the job in order to earn enough money to pay for the care of a loved one back on Earth.
Visual Inspiration

All The Dreams in which I'm Dying
Potential pairings: M/F, M/M, M/F
Setting: Post-Apocalyptic, environment flexible
Elements and Themes: Survival, brutality, grey morality, harsh environments
Yes, the title of this idea comes from the song 'Mad World', which should give you a decent idea of what this particular craving of mine was inspired by.  I don't have a particular plot in mind for this one simply because there are so many potential directions in which a plot could go.  Primarily, I like the idea of an over-the-top post apocalyptic world that is simultaneously brutal and stylized, with themes both shamelessly high-octane and surprisingly poignant.  Though the default environment is an irradiated dessert wasteland, I could easily see such a story taking place in a mountainous region, or in a place where the cold is more deadly than the heat, like Siberia.
Visual Inspiration
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:25:05 PM by Erythrite »