You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 08:40:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Are you good at scrabble?  (Read 240 times)

Offline MymarTopic starter

Are you good at scrabble?
« on: July 22, 2015, 05:06:32 PM »
I'm terrible at scrabble, yet I'm good at figuring out phrase and word meanings if there is enough context. What are your strengths in language?

Offline Blaskovich

Re: Are you good at scrabble?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:34:29 PM »
Well, Scrabble's more of a memory game than anything.  Like that guy a while back who won a French Scrabble championship without knowing any French: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/21/424980378/winner-of-french-scrabble-title-does-not-speak-french

He just memorized a ton of words in a french dictionary, like studying for a spelling bee.  He still can't speak it at all and doesn't know the meaning of the words, but he memorized correct letter orders and that's all that matters in that game.

Offline Mathim

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »
I'm terrible at scrabble, yet I'm good at figuring out phrase and word meanings if there is enough context. What are your strengths in language?

I'm a very self-conscious thesaurus-style speaker. I mentally note every word I say and try as often as possible to substitute in other words so I refrain from repeating the same ones. I'm pretty good at it after so much practice. It helps me expand my lexicon.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:14:56 AM »
Exceptionally good, but my degree is in English.

For fun we played it in Middle English.

It's not all about vocabulary though. It is about knowing what pieces you've got to work with. So more like poker.

Unless you just like the vocab aspect in which case you poach a bunch of sets' tiles and go to town. :3