The Alien Compound
A random idea - most of my ideas are totally random. If anyone wants to take this and run with it, please do...
18th March 2021 - First Contact
The ship arrived in the solar system apparently out of nowhere. One moment it wasn't there, the next moment it was. It's arrival generated an electromagnetic pulse that was picked up around the world. Radio telescopes triangulated, telescopes focussed, Hubble transmitted live images to computer screens around the world. The ship was real, it was alien, it was too late to hush it up. And it was on a direct collision course with the Sun.
Estimates gave it around ten days before the combination of heat, radiation and gravity would destroy the vessel. Even as the world watched, with a mixture of horror, terror, curiosity, fascination, awe and amazement, a smaller vessel detached itself from the larger one that was about a kilometre in length. This smaller craft, about a hundred metres long, changed course and headed for Earth.
Radio contact with the craft came soon after and although it was clear that communication would be difficult, it was not impossible. The creatures on the ship were bipedal, four limned, and apparently mammalian, although it appeared there were a number of species on the vessel. Linguists on both side worked on establishing communication and soon enough the alien's story began to emerge.
The ship was directed to land at Groom Lake AFB, Nevada, AKA Area 51. (Where else? The irony of the first actual extraterrestrial space craft being publicly directed to land in the very site that had always been rumoured to house the remains of crashed alien space craft was not lost on people. If anything it served to heighten the rumours).
An it was then that the trouble started. The ship was escorted into the atmosphere by the USAF, it landed on the runway as directed and stopped. The hatch opened and the aliens came out. And they were very clearly armed.
So, of course, were the American air force soldiers who had arrived to secure the ship. and things could have gone very badly if the ship's commander hadn't stepped forward, arms away from it's sides and ordered the crew to stand down, then try to start talking using the patois that had been established on their five day journey from the mother ship.
The story that unfolded was of a galaxy in turmoil. War raged in the inner systems, and Earth was very lucky not to have been caught up in it. The mother ship - a jump-capable battle cruiser, was damaged beyond repair and attempts to save it were futile. The crew had made for the nearest habitable system with the last of their fuel and had been rather disturbed to find an un-contacted space-faring species already there. Of course, the lack of jump-drive technology accounted for the lack of contact, and the use of radio waves for communication was not as universal as Humans had expected, plus the nearest world with advanced technology on it was well over a hundred light years away, so the signals from Earth were barely reaching there yet and were so weak when they did as to be little more than background clutter.
The fifty or so aliens were just grateful to be alive, they refused to surrender their weapons, but agreed instead to share technology. Sadly, jump technology was not something they could offer. The ships engineer knew how it worked but not how it was made.
And so, the aliens settled in a small, fenced off town in the Nevada dessert, guarded by the US military, besieged by UFO watchers, religious nuts, conspiracy theorists, and other weirdos. And of course the Press.
Over time the world slowly lost interest as more immediate concerns presented themselves - the economy, a massive earthquake in South America, a terrorist attack in Riyadh... The aliens did nothing, they just stayed in their little town and talked to the scientists.11th August 2027 - Second Contact
It seemed that things had settled down. Two of the aliens who were apparently the same species and different genders had reproduced, creating a brief media frenzy - the paranoid insisted that this was all part of a plot to take over the world, but most people looked at pictures of the cute ball of fuzz and went "AWWWWWWW!"
Earth's technology was suddenly decades ahead of where it had been. The energy crisis was solved, food was available in abundance and if it hadn't been for a black-market trade in Alien weapon tech, the world might even have become a Rodenberrian utopia. And then suddenly it all changed again.
Another ship appeared, also heading for the sun. But this one changed course and headed for Earth. The world nearly panicked. The aliens were brought at gun point to their communications devices that had been stripped from their ship, and managed to talk to the incoming vessel. It was a refugee ship, they reported, a cargo vessel, crammed full of creatures from different worlds, fleeing the violence in the centre of the Galaxy. They had arrive in a nearby system, detected the radio transmissions and homed in on them. The vessel was unarmed and was offered as payment in exchange for asylum for the two to three hundred refugees.
There was only one possible answer the people of Earth could give if they were to live collectively with themselves. The refugees were allowed to land at Area 51, they were searched and interrogated by a combined force of US military and "Off-World Military" as the US government chose to designate the crew of the destroyed cruiser. They were decontaminated according to instructions given by the OWM Commander and moved into a refugee camp hastily erected for them. And Earth's scientists swarmed onto the surrendered jump-ship....
That is the background to the game. The story starts with the alien refugees in their township, guarded by the US military, policed internally by the crew of the alien battle cruiser, the Off-World Military, and besieged by the world's press and nutcases.Game:
Game Master Info / GM(s) Participation Level (If/where applicable)
- The game will go in NC Exotic Freeform. There will not be a system.
- The game is open to anyone and everyone.
- Player characters will be Alien Refugees, Off World Military Personnel, US Air Force Personnel and Human scientists. Other human characters will be considered. The game will be sand-box, for people to make their own inter-species interactions of whatever sort they like.
- The setting is the Alien Refugee Compoind at Area 51 in the Nevada Desert
- See above for the over-arching plot - players will be encouraged to come up with sub-plots. The GM may throw sub-plots at the players from time to time.
- Character sheets will be supplied if there is enough interest, along with instructions on how to fill them in
- The only required resource is a love of sci-fi and an interest in aliens
- Players will be expected to post at least once a fortnight, preferably once a week or more.
- Sexual activity is allowed, and possibly encouraged, especially between humans and aliens
- Post header code will be used to track where people are in a thread and whom they are with. Code will be supplied if there is sufficient interest
- There should be at least one Co-GM
- The game will be full sandbox with occasional GM intervention
- Players will be free to create areas of the refugee camp at need. It is a large area, big enough to house over 300 aliens in reasonable conditions
- NPCs can be created on-the-fly by players, used, discarded and re-used by other players. Key NPCs will be under GM control
- The GM will probably have at least one active character as well as control of the key NPCs
- An OOC thread will be supplied for game related and non-game-related discussions.
- The OP (Chrystal) can be contacted by posting in this thread or by PM
- I have a standard set of rules of Play that I use in all my group games. Anyone wishing to run this is welcome to use them as they are or modify them as preferred.
- PVP will be allowed.
- "The Oath of the Drake" is mostly common sense and common courtesy, but is worth looking at to remind yourself what joining a group game means!
- Player Ons and Offs are there for a reason. Non Consent applies to the character and NOT the player. Of the character is screaming "No, stop it", carry on, but if the player asks you to stop, you MUST stop.
- Players should post at least once a week if they can. Players who drop out will have their characters taken over by the GM. Such characters will be manipulated as NPCs to end any scenes they are in. They may also be offered to other players to take over.
- New players may join at any time. We have an entire world of humans and almost 300 aliens available.
- Players may use whatever tense and point of view they feel most comfortable with.
If anyone is interested in running this game either as GM or Co-GM, please let me know. If no-one else takes it up and there is enough interest, I might be persuaded to run it myself, but it won't start for a long time!
Ah, who am I kidding, I'll end up running it myself if it gathers enough interest... *eyeroll*