You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 12:58:25 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Rim Runners (Star Wars, Freeform)  (Read 1348 times)

Offline DarilTopic starter

Re: Rim Runners (Star Wars, Freeform)
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
@Wander -I would go for the Mirian over the Chiss given the time period.  You said you don't want to be Captain -would that apply even if your character got to be very hands on with operating the ship?  Maybe even flying it some of the time?  (I figure more than one person should know how to fly the ship.  Especially if it carries any small speeders/shuttlepods that Kaden may end up being called on to pilot.)

@NoWhereWoman -Weren't you planning for your character to be a former pit fighter or something along those lines?  Mainly bringing it up because I'm wondering where she learned to fight if that part of her background has been cut.

@KirbysFolly -The one thing I'm wondering about here is whether the gang background is a good idea.  You list her as quiet but friendly -if she was formerly involved in extortion and such wouldn't she be more hardened?

@Elfguy -That picture doesn't really look like a Star Wars character to me.  She also seems a bit on the young side.  While I can see the ship's crew having one "enforcer" type on hand to ward off trouble I think they'd look for someone who gave an impression of considerable experience.

Sorry, I should have been more on the ball with replying.  Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with trying to GM both this and another RPG idea I'd suggested a while back that finally seems like it might be about to take off...  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:50:36 PM by Daril »

Offline KirbysFolly

• STUFF CAN GO HERE TOO?!
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • I should probably put something amusing here.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 05:29:54 PM »
Mmm, good point. I'll switch it out. I figured she was less involved in that type of thing, but it does seem a bit of a poor fit.

Wander- I like the Mirialan the most myself. I just looked up the Selonians though, and I have to say they weren't what I was expecting. I wouldn't mind having one on the crew, if that was what you were interested in instead. (Also, totally not in charge of what gets approved, so yeah.  ;D)

Offline wander

• Cheeky Brit Next Door // Creator of Wander Worlds
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Writing a Wraith tale at the Storyteller's Forum
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »
Okay, well it looks like I'll either go with the Mirialan or a human. I agree that the Chiss are pretty linked in with Thrawn and tbh, I think I'd prefer to play a Mirialan due to their culture with their face and hand tattoos. The Chiss seem too haughty for me and as for Selonians...

I liked the look of them, I thought they looked pretty fun, though in reading about them on wookieepedia, they see lying as bad as murder, so having one thats a rim runner, it'd be... not so likely and perhaps a little too tough for me to RP. A character to consider for a future game not so themed after Firefly though.

Okay, Daril...
I could play the owner of the ship, though I struggle to play someone with the authority and experience to be a Captain. I find it easier playing rogues, like Han or Starlord and characters like Wash. I'm spreading out in what characters I write for though... However I'm not sure I'd have the rp chops to do Captain and I'm fairly sure someone will RP with more authority than I'll place in a character. That said, in so much as the person that owns the ship, I can do that.
I have played a Captain who was in name only, due to owning the ship and the real Captaining was done by an enforcer who was upgraded to First Mate to do all the ordering around and making sure things were going according to plan. This left my guy as a charismatic rogue who did things about the ship of which he knew (mainly flying it)... Btw, yes... I'd love to play a pilot! whilst he left things in the other departments with those who were better skilled in their sections. With a small crew, I think there is less need for a Captain, long as everyone keeps to their stations and knows what they're doing, though I suppose someone should be about that won't do a Jayne and bully everyone else and take over the ship.

I suppose I could do a more relaxed Mal if needed. I really do want to play someone adept on the ship consoles, either way, which can include piloting, navigation, gunner, sensor, comms... Whatever is needed that noone else wants a crack at, really.

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »
We could also wait and see if someone else volunteers for the Captain role.  Do any of the current players want to modify their character for the role?

If we do go with your character as Captain, perhaps he could be an old friend of Kaden's who invited him to join in a venture.  Actually perhaps multiple characters have a stake in the business.  Someone would obviously have to take charge when the situation calls for it but ultimately they'd be a group of business partners.

Offline hellrazoromega

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 10:39:51 PM »
Is there still room? I have always had this idea for a latent force sensitive who has no idea they are force sensitive, nor would they have any control over it.

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 11:02:30 AM »
So you're talking a character with really good instincts, basically?

There should be room for one more character.

Offline Nowherewoman

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 11:04:11 AM »

@NoWhereWoman -Weren't you planning for your character to be a former pit fighter or something along those lines?  Mainly bringing it up because I'm wondering where she learned to fight if that part of her background has been cut.

I was, but it didn't seem to make sense as far as Kaden getting hold of her, then- a trained gladiator slave would be way out of his price range, though I suppose they could still have just run off together.

I was thinking more that work and dance had strengthened her quite a bit- rough-and-tumble stuff mostly- and she's picked up more as she and K have travelled together. think of her more as  a brawler than a seriously trained martial artist- fast and tough adn ANGRY enough to be crazy in a scrap.

Offline hellrazoromega

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2015, 03:06:56 PM »
Actually, I found a system game, which I prefer but thank you and have fun.

Offline elfguy

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 10:08:27 PM »

@Elfguy -That picture doesn't really look like a Star Wars character to me.  She also seems a bit on the young side.  While I can see the ship's crew having one "enforcer" type on hand to ward off trouble I think they'd look for someone who gave an impression of considerable experience.

Well it's hard to find a Star Wars picture that doesn't show a Jedi.

What about this:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2015, 10:31:38 PM »
They are out there if you look (typing "Star Wars smuggler" in google image search should net some results).  Though you also have the option of not relying on an image and just using text like what I'd been doing.

Online BlueEyedBard

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2015, 10:45:35 PM »
Hi there. If you still have room, or are even interested, I would be interested in joining your game as a Mandalorian heavy gunner or ex military now rogue captain.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:52:37 PM by BlueEyedBard »

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 01:36:18 AM »
Can you elaborate on what you mean by a now rogue Captain?

Online BlueEyedBard

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2015, 03:27:00 AM »
That's what our group is right? A crew of rogues making their lives in the untamed outer rim.

Someone trained and well versed in combat, survival and leadership like a Mandalorian. In this case a Mandalorian who left his regiment, disgusted with the way they sold out to work for the republic, and decided to find a life beyond the emperor's reach.

Only if you still weren't sure that you wanted your character to be captain. Otherwise I do think he would still make a good heavy gunner.

Offline Nowherewoman

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2015, 10:32:32 AM »

I was, but it didn't seem to make sense as far as Kaden getting hold of her, then- a trained gladiator slave would be way out of his price range, though I suppose they could still have just run off together.

I was thinking more that work and dance had strengthened her quite a bit- rough-and-tumble stuff mostly- and she's picked up more as she and K have travelled together. think of her more as  a brawler than a seriously trained martial artist- fast and tough adn ANGRY enough to be crazy in a scrap.

On further reflection, going to tweak her bio some when i get home. Prolly Sunday afternoon. net too unreliable ATM, but MAY be able to get to revamping her tonight. Only needs a few sentences' change.

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2015, 01:13:42 PM »
Would a Mandalorian want to work on a smuggling/odds jobs ship?  I'm not an expert on Mandalorians -there's a lot of EU material I haven't read- but aren't they proud warrior race guys?

Also, anyone got any thoughts on the type of ship we should go with?  I'm cool with going with something non canon.  Was thinking of an "armored transport" but perhaps we should go with something that has less obvious combat capabilities.  Granted being obvious can discourage possible attackers, but it also has its cons.

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2015, 02:58:11 PM »
I can have a look at ships on the Wookieepedia and get an opinion back here either later or tomorrow... I'm pretty free tomorrow so I should be on more.

That said, looks like I should get a bio up too. I guess I'm gonna go with the Mirialan and looking at the pic, I'm going to find a better scouty looking pic, I love the costume of the face-claim potential I put up, but I'm gonna go for a more knifey user for combat and otherwise more of a bridge bunny guy in skills. Guess I need to think of a name too... I got things together, just need to kinda... put it all together...  ::)

Online BlueEyedBard

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »
Fair question, the last time the Mandalorians would be considered a solid group was around the time of the Mandalorian Wars, when Mandalor brought them together to attack the republic in order to take over the galaxy.

When they lost the Mandalorians were scattered across the galaxy and very few actually remained in militanistic groups. Most took whatever work they could get using their skills to their fullest. The most famous of whom (Jango Fett) became a lone merc/bounty hunter and eventually the DNA base of all the clone troopers. But a lot of them just went on to be hired thugs for various crime bosses like the Hutts.  So yes, this is exactly the kind of work a Mandalorian would go for.

My character in particular would have been one of the few that attempted to keep a military regiment together. But when all of his brothers chose to join the republic for money he chose to turn his back on them and make his way to the outer rim.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:28:21 PM by BlueEyedBard »

Offline Phaia

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 06:57:37 PM »
Ya all still looking for a pilot/mechanic type?

Phaia

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2015, 11:49:18 PM »
@BlueEyedBard -So basically, you'd be playing the Jayne of the group?  :P (Hopefully you've seen Firefly.)

Would probably depend on the Captain's feelings toward your character.  I'm not sure Kaden would like him, but I sort of want to avoid making Kaden the ship's Captain anyway.

@Phaia -Unfortunately I think we've got both those roles covered at this point.  Then again, having an additional character with those sorts of skills could be useful.  I suppose it may depend how big the ship and its overall crew end up being.  (Though I'm a touch reluctant to make the group too big since the chance of a player becoming unavailable tends to increase with group size.)

@Wander -We can go fanon if there aren't any appropriate canon vessels.  Actually maybe we should put the question of the ship's size and capabilities on hold until we have a clearer idea of how big the crew is going to be.

Online BlueEyedBard

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2015, 01:20:25 AM »
Well I my character could be the captain, if that seemed acceptable to everyone.  He's really not hard to get along with as long as you are someone he trusts. And he holds his comrades in the highest regard, he wouldn't work with them if he didn't.

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2015, 05:43:54 AM »
Okay, so looking at starships presently. We don't need a capitol ship, they're for more bigger ventures, calling from my Traveller experience. In playing that game I was only ever involved in one game that my character was placed on one, which was a huge naval vessel, essentially pretty much a Star Destroyer, so we're going to look at smaller things here.

We could do a Light Freighter, which could double as a scout vessel and also a Transport, as in exploration being a thing with free trade in cargo and passengers. Running the rim, it may be good to scout new potential clients and systems and do some free trade when we aren't acting on a patron? What do you think, Daril? Anyone else?

Offline Amarlo

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »
Showing my interest here. I'll be working on a character. Thanks for pointing this out for me, wander ;)

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2015, 02:46:22 PM »
Name: Rez
Species: Mirialan
Appearance:

History: Born around the outset of the Clone Wars with the name 'Tesq', the one would become Rez was initially raised as a Seperatist on the planet Mirial and was a mere toddler when the war came to an end and the Jedi were purged leading the way into the Empire. For Tesq, the Empire's rule as far as he saw on the Outer Rim was all he knew. Thus disenfranchisement soon took in with the young alien as he reached his teens. He partook in a hobby of swoopracing and was soon discovered by Black Sun around the time that Xizor took control of the organisation (in 6 BBY), taking the boy in for technical expertise (which soon expanded to starships in this time) and skill in scouting areas. Tesq soon learned in these years to keep his faithful hunting knife handy for self-defence.

It was after a few years of working under Xizor on the Rim that Tesq left Black Sun through faking his death, when caught in the conflict Black Sun aligned themselves with when the two Hutt clans of Besadii and Desilijic went against each other. The Desilijic eventually becoming the dominant Hutt clan and with their help and the new name Rez, the young Mirialan was free to live a new life of his own. Having cheated Black Sun out of a small amount of resources to set up a new independant life for himself in the Rim, Rez hires himself out as a pilot and general console jockey and is known to come onboard ships that will hire him for not just credits but other forms of payment or just for reasons that keep his interest. He also takes the odd job as a security system bypasser (a hacker) for the odd heist. He is never known to actually fight fair in many things he is involved with.

Personality:
Rez is a charismatic Mirialan, a loveable rogue who has a great love for technical stuff, especially when dealing with starships and swoopracers, he's a real vehicle buff. He is very knowledgeable though tends to keep such things to himself, preferring others rather underestimate him so he can get the drop on someone later. Being involved in sketchy dealings for the past decade and holding no love for the Empire, Rez is a proud cheater and sees doing so as something that if able to, should be done, than anything particularly bad. However, whilst being less than honourable, he does have a special part in his heart for those who interest him enough that he feels he can trust them. Like the Desijilic Hutts, he also has a love of the form of humanoid women and can be hedonistic if the choice is presented to him.

Skills and Abilities:
Rez is an accomplished pilot and knows how to astrogate and use most consoles on a ship, including guns. He is an accomplished hacker and uses his faithful knife from when he was a young hunter back on Mirialan in combat. He is pragmatic in pretty much everything he does. Being off-world in the Rim most of his adult life and wanting to be kept underestimated, he has fewer tattoos that mark skill than many other Mirialan his age, though he has picked a few up in recent years to distance himself from his old identity.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:46:37 PM by wander »

Offline Amarlo

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »
Okay, working on a combat medic type right now :)

Offline Amarlo

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:53:24 PM by Amarlo »