Hemingway's Back to Basics search - Weird Fiction & Low Fantasy [ M/F ]

Started by Hemingway, May 27, 2015, 08:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Greetings, one and all! I was recently reading through some of my older threads here, and it occurred to me that it's been a while since I last did a story like those I used to do – low fantasy and weird fiction in the styles of Robert E. Howard and H. P. Lovecraft. I think it's about time I changed that. With that in mind, then, here are some ideas I have – and do note that all specific details are negotiable ( names, in particular, are likely to change ).

• Ernst P. Willems, Occult Investigator – 1901, New England.
    This story will take a lot of cues from the Lovecraft mythos, it doesn't necessarily have to be a part of the same universe. Mr. Willems, a man with a very particular set of skills and a strange connection to the supernatural, receives a mysterious letter requesting his help. What follows is likely to defy logical explanation, and drive weak minds to madness.

I'd prefer for the mystery in question to be something beyond a haunting, or anything like that. It is, however, quite open. As is the other character – presumably his employer. Perhaps she's a woman on the run from someone – cultists with nothing like good intentions, for instance – or the heiress to a recently deceased man who dabbled in mysteries best left unexplored.
  • The Thirteenth Son – 1918, Eastern United States.
    Simon Kovacs is the last living member of a long line of occultists, warlocks and alchemists. Following the mysterious deaths of his last remaining family, and suspecting it to be the work of a rival family in a centuries long vendetta, he seals a pact with a demonic force in order to survive, and to seek his revenge.

I'm looking for someone to play the part of his demonic ally – a woman of mysterious powers, with long ties to his family. While I've imagined her as some type of succubus-like demon, her exact nature is really quite up to you.
  • The Sleeping City – Hyborian Age.
    In the center of a vast desert sits the ancient city of Kesdesir. Its oases provide the only water for days, and all trade across the wastes passes through it. While the city prospers from the caravans passing through and trading outside its gates, inside its citizens live lives of constant fear of their necromancer lord. Screams can be heard from his opulent palace, and people frequently disappear, dragged off by the unliving servants of the necromancer to be subjected to his gruesome experiments.

While few travelers dare even approach the city's gates, one man from a distant, colder lands finds himself inside. Perhaps he's found and nursed back to health by a local, or is taken in to be hidden away after a scrap with the city's undead guardsmen. In either case, he encounters a woman with an interest in bringing down the necromancer as well, and the two embark on a quest to break into the palace and bring down the vile sorcerer.

These are the ideas I have for now.

With the part you actually came here for out of the way, I'll briefly mention some of the less interesting details. Such as how often you can expect me to post. Which is a bit hard to say: It can be several times per day some days, and sometimes weekly ( or every ten days, even ). I do get busy and tired at times. While I do try to let people know if I know I'll be busy, I'm unfortunately not very good at it. With that said, I don't at all mind if people send me messages to ask.

Now, then. If you're still reading, we're almost at the end. All that's left for me to say is please have a look at my O/Os, and let me know in a PM if you're interested in trying to work something out. Thanks!