You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 02:04:12 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Question about British Parliament (Lords) and multiple titles  (Read 282 times)

Online TheGlyphstoneTopic starter

Because I guess it's technically politics.

If a peer holds multiple titles - say, the Earl of X and the Baron of Y, do they get multiple votes in Parliament on a topic based on how many titles they have? I found one reference to where the heir of a multiple-titled hereditary peer can sit and vote under one of his father's secondary titles, but nothing about if one person can sit and vote as all of their 'hats' simultaneously.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:01:51 PM by TheGlyphstone »

Offline Lord Mayerling

Re: Question about British Parliament (Lords) and multiple titles
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:23:46 PM »
Votes are taken by voice in Lords, or they leave the chamber into one of two lobbies (yea or nay). Thus, each Lord casts one vote, regardless of their title(s).

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »
So voice votes are taken by name, not by title then  - else I'd assume that the hypothetical example could answer once when "Earl of X" was asked to vote, and again when "Baron of Y" was asked to vote. And it looks like writs of acceleration were abolished in 1999.

If a peer is unable to attend a session of Parliament for some reason, though, can they appoint a proxy to sit and vote in their stead? Or is that vote automatically an abstention?

Offline Lord Mayerling

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 06:51:42 PM »
Voice votes aren't taken by name, but by vote (yes or no, except it's England, so they say "content" or "not content"). All the yeses speak at once, then all the nos. Only those present may vote.

I think you may be hung up on what a Lord actually is in Parliament. Lords are individuals, not titles. A place in the peerage allows you to sit in the House of Lords. Sitting in the House lets you vote on legislation. The title itself does not grant votes, it only places one in the peerage. In that sense, voting wise, all Lords are equal, regardless of title or rank.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 06:54:08 PM »
Voice votes aren't taken by name, but by vote (yes or no, except it's England, so they say "content" or "not content"). All the yeses speak at once, then all the nos. Only those present may vote.

I think you may be hung up on what a Lord actually is in Parliament. Lords are individuals, not titles. A place in the peerage allows you to sit in the House of Lords. Sitting in the House lets you vote on legislation. The title itself does not grant votes, it only places one in the peerage. In that sense, voting wise, all Lords are equal, regardless of title or rank.

Got it.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »
Slightly off topic, isn't Mayerling the location of a house where somebody famous died, who was supposed to have become a major Lord?   ::)

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:15:43 PM »
That famous person was Austrian, if it's the incident I think you're talking about.

Offline Lord Mayerling

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 06:08:20 AM »
And he wasn't a lord, but the Crown Prince, heir to the throne. Although the other person in the incident technically was.