You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 10:12:53 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: DWD Arena! - Fighting & Sexy Action (Interest Check + System Rework!)  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Making Your Darkest of Fantasies a Reality
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: DWD Arena! - Fighting & Sexy Action (Interest Check + System Rework!)
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2016, 07:48:05 AM »
I think allowing players to create NPCs for combat would help as well if we end up with small crowd. These NPCs may have fix levels and cannot level up, just fill in combatants. As such, their stats may also differ or be less in comparison to what a normal level of theirs may be if they were a player. Such scene outcomes would vary between both writing partners in any finishing; regardless, such would offer a bit more variety for line ups. How you treat the exp handling in it is up to you, whether you want to have restriction to what may be gain from them being NPCs or what vs actual player matches. Obviously, players cannot match with their own NPCs, I mean, that would be kind of like RPing with yourself(unless there is option in NPC tab of who may be allowed to also RP them.)

Hope that wasn't confusing.

Offline DallasTopic starter

• Absolute Equality & Compassion Advocate / 'He Who Makes Games' / The 'Twisted Crow'
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • "Don't push your luck..."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2016, 03:44:29 AM »
I believe this is a good suggestion. And its very likely that players will be able to have multiple characters, anyway. Especially if the starting group is small. Thats a good idea, Drake.

As to when I'd like to start, hopefully before or after the weekend. At most, I might push things up to a week (to give myself time to clean up the rules). Also, to give some time to wait on a couple more people (to have enough group topics again). I was somewhat feverish the other day (hence the absence).

I'm kind of working at borrowing something from Project BF to test and see how well it would work with DWD's current system.

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2016, 09:17:42 AM »
No worries, take your time. Better you get over whatever is ailing you than be out for a longer extended time in a worse state than you may be now. Health always comes first. ^^

• Absolute Equality & Compassion Advocate / 'He Who Makes Games' / The 'Twisted Crow'
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2016, 04:25:37 PM »
Feeling better and my mind is better focused. While I had this for a while, I've been meaning to include this in the main thread. Added a formal "Rules of Conduct" for Players.

Player Rules of Conduct (Please Read)

PLAYER RULES OF CONDUCT

By joining this group game, you are expected to honor these simple rules. Most of which is basically following Elliquiy's Rules anyway:

1. Respect Fellow Players, Respect Your GM(s) - You are expected to treat other players and the GM(s) with respect, no different than you are expected to behave on the rest of Elliquiy. There will be absolutely zero drama out of game. Players that are causing problems, throwing fits, harassing players or the like will be politely asked to leave the group. We are all adults, so let's please act like it and have fun.

2. This is a Game with Non-Con - There are Non-Con (& Semi-Con, etc.) sexual elements and scenes present in Date with Destiny. Considering that this is part of the point of the game, please be aware of this before joining.

3. Dicebot Use & Cheating: All system aspects in Date with Destiny will use Elliquiy's Dicebot. Any rolls made are expected to be linked if they are successful rolls. Failed rolls can simply have the written result (i.e., 'Attack Roll: 2, Miss!'). While players can choose to "trust" each other on an honor system, it is generally expected to link significant dice rolls to set a good example and practice. Cheating (if somehow made an issue) will be dealt with in a way that the lead GM sees fit. This may even lead to being asked to leave. We are on a trust system and the roleplaying, action, writing and fun is what is most important here. So seriously, just link successful dice rolls within action posts.

4. Posting Content & Format: Date with Destiny is not going to radically enforce post length or formats. However, the general expectation is that posts are reasonable for the situation (fight posts and social media "tweets" can be as short as a few sentences, while interviews, intros, promos and mock "Magazine articles" can be several paragraphs long). This is mostly a common sense thing. It is one thing to politely ask partners to tweak things a bit to help you work something of your own in there, it's another thing to be a grammar Nazi or bash writing styles. As far as formats go, I am not going to be super-strict. As long as important information is displayed and it is legible, then I probably won't care how you format your posts.

5 Post Frequency: While Date with Destiny is designed to be flexible for those that are busy, a reasonable post frequency is expected if characters are currently in a fight. Due to the fact that DWD is currently a small group, there are only so many "Arena Spots" for other players to participate in. These rooms will grow as more players join. Occasional activity outside of fights can be done at any Player's pace. However, please try to see fights to their conclusion over a reasonable time period.

6. OOC Chat: Please keep OOC talk in the OOC Thread when at all possible. Breaking this isn't quite so serious, but please use the OOC thread for this kind of stuff.

7. Participation is Desired: Please engage and participate with other players. Do not exclude anyone that has been approved into the game. Having people you like to play with is fine, having a rivalry/story you want to continue is fine. But do not exclude others. This is still a group game.

7. Communicate, Please Don't Just 'Flake': Please. Please keep people in the know. We don't have to know all of your personal business and we don't have to know why you need a break. But please just take a minute to let a GM (and your partners) know that you are stepping away (either for good or temporarily) so that I know what to do with your characters and any current RP segments that they may be involved in. "Flaking" can really slow and bog the flow of the game, considering that it puts everyone in this unnecessary moment of pause. Just let us know that you're leaving or taking a break and things will be dealt with accordingly. It's really no big deal, just don't leave us in the dark. :-)

To Test:

- The original system as it is. This is mostly to refresh my memory on how the revisions might be implemented in a practical way.
- The revisions (including the strip combo system)
- Handicap matches (with old and new revisions as I see fit). I think I already have someone for this when it's in place, but volunteers are welcome.

To Do:

- Re-organize main thread. Or Can n' Lock this thread and restart a fresh and clean one (so that I'm not sifting through old system junk).
- Permanently establish World Building thread (and link it back to main thread).
- Move game system rules over to world building.
- Poll options.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:31:03 PM by Dallas »

• Liege
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2016, 08:51:44 AM »
A poll has finally been added. This is a chance to chime in on what you liked and what you perhaps didn't like about the system as it stands. Note that I do like a lot of it as it is, but I am also willing to listen to feedback (especially if you have actually tried the system out with me or other people that were in the group).  ^-^

Things I want to remain in the DWD group concept:

1. Unpredictability - Where players do not always know how the match might turn out.
2. Growth & Player Partnership - Where players can feel like their character is developing, without cliquey favoritism stuff that turns things into nothing but a glorified writing 'popularity contest'.

It's one of the reasons I like systems so much. I don't have to play favorites as a GM, I'm always surprised by what happens and rules are there, plain as day. So I don't have to be that "writing judge" to determine whether or not a character was successful in their venture (with my personal tastes in writing naturally encouraging bias and favoritism as my position of GM in that case). ::)

Yeah, no... I'm not doing that. I have no interest in being an English teacher grading on a curve. I want to be a GM. This is a game. Every member of the group will be treated equally in-game and I'll have no member of the group excluded, or feeling like their writing isn't "as good" as someone else's.  ;)

As a side note, I've been inspired to finalize the group's "Player Code of Conduct"...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:02:44 AM by Dallas »

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2016, 10:50:39 AM »
As it was, was fairly simple. I feel if it gets any more complicated with all sorts of dice rolls, I might pass on it.

Online Relikai

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2016, 01:35:27 AM »
Is this still open?

Offline Zenkai

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2016, 03:04:15 AM »
it will be again soon I hope!

I don't think the system as is needs additional complexity. 1 round=1 roll is fine with me - giving 3 or 4 sensible otptions out of some 10 for the player to choose, with those options evolving via experience. I believe that's about the right balance for most people interested in a system game.

• Liege
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2016, 01:54:17 AM »
Is this still open?

Open? Technically, yes. Active? Not really at the moment. Some players have been busy and others are waiting on me, I'm sure. I've been running myself into the ground at work, and trying to find time to put into this as well as my business project. So, the group is technically open to play at the moment. I imagine if there are any matches that are incomplete, they can simply be dropped. And new people can start them, I suppose.

Regarding the rules, I honestly have mixed thoughts on changing mechanics too much (Hence why my vote went to keeping things as they are for the most part). Nor do I want to add more complication to the mechanics. The only things I might add is Handicap (2 vs 1) and expanding the alignment system to be more as a reference to how they should be roleplaying (not just "If Good, No R/H... If Bad, Raep Time". But as it stands for now, the system itself works fine. I feel that it is a nice blend of depth and simplicity.

Offline hamish1024

« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »
I'd like to register an interest in this. It's a promising setting; I've always thought fighting / wrestling leagues offer lots of RP potential though their mix of sport, showbusiness and seediness, and it looks like you've got a nice simple system to inform the action.

• Liege
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2016, 07:13:04 AM »
I should have never added more complexity to it. One of the things I plan on doing is removing the Aerial attacks and defense mechanic... as this seems like it could just be written adlib in place of a normal attack or grab (something you do to a stunned or grounded opponent). It was a good idea (high risk moves with high payoff), but it just doesnt seem to jive well. It adds more stats that players have to keep up with and I dont want that, really.

In exchange, I'm attempting a simple "Strip" system to take its place.

One of the things that my past tester, Aya and I realized was that things get less "exciting" once the R/H phase starts (because the dice stop rolling and the numbers take a backseat).

Again though, what I liked about the initial build of DWD before was its simplicity. Freeform had its place and system had its place. But it feels like when trying to do both, it pushes many out. People seem to like either one or the other. I'm still sticking to my guns on it. This game needs that element of surprise and unpredictability.

Progress on it is slower than I like because I have been testing it by myself lately. While testers are certainly wanted, I have been pushing to keep this system in a specific format. The challenge is real. :D

I appreciate the interest!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:17:44 AM by Dallas »