As the Smog Clears ((Open))

Started by chanellelynn, May 15, 2015, 03:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chanellelynn

We set the scene in a small mountain town, far away from the city lights and tourists. The town of Reckford stands proud at the edge of the mountain range in a fictitious state. A town built by farmers over 70 years ago, Reckford became known for their orchards and annual strawberry festivals. Today however, the town has seen better days.

The folk living here are rather nicer than most people you'd meet anywhere else, enjoying each others company and greet each other in passing. Where everyone knows each others name and secrets.

Lately the night falls have become darker in our village due to the new plant the city had built. The smog billowing out every day covers the sky preventing the stars from shining and lighting our streets. Over 40 miles away, the smoke travels to clog up our town. The city never publicly cited what the factory was for, rumors are it's Vitamin packing and shipping company...None of us know for sure.

C.E Corp, the name of this 'vitamin' company, offered Reckford a deal. This company wants us to be there private testing panel in exchange for money. Our town would select 3 people every month to test the vitamin products for quality and effectiveness. Many of us denied, but those who did go ended up moving away as soon as the testing was over. The first group seemed coincidental, the factory paid them well for testing and was much more than most of them were making in a week. As the demand grew for more testers, more kids straight out of high school were trying to join the panel. With the selection becoming much easier for C.E Corp. Many of our younger generations were leaving, and coincidentally moving as soon as their testing was over.

As far as we know, there has been some reaccuring deaths in the nearby woods of our small town. Brutal attacks against people in our town and injuries done by mysterious animal like creatures. Most of the time it has happened during the night, those who came back couldnt describe what attacked them other than snarls and screaching Those that were attacked during the day...well, only one came back so far, alive with their face torn apart and unable to talk.
Recently C.E Corp. let us know the factory wasn't going to need our help anymore and the product was officially approved. I don't know what this means but the last group they tested was mentioned as, "Coming home to present your city with a present, for all the help Reckford has provided." I took this as a surprised, The last 11 groups didn't end up coming home their last week...

((Reckford is a RP I like to replay, this version sits upon the mystery of the factory and what lies inside. The initial direction should be cannibalism, directly linked to the factory but everything else is undetermined. Vitamins could be a cover story or the truth, make something of it and throw it in. Please write in full sentences and detail your scenes as best as you can. The original story line follows zombies as a direct result of testing in the factory, so we can play a little off of that if need be))

OPEN RP, please feel free to drop in ANY time and try to interact.

chanellelynn

The floorboards of my small farmhouse creaked as I swung gently in the porch swing. Handed down by my grandparents, this was their old home back when Reckford was brand new. The paint was once a bright baby blue, and now a dull grey trying to be blue once more. The trim was still white with the plain wood showing where it peeled. I enjoyed my home very much but its rickety outside looked dusty and unwelcoming to outsiders.
Where the patio began, led to a small two step down to the garden that I never kept up on. My green thumb consisted of two dying herb plants in my windowsill. Most of the town could grow their own food out here, if the air wasn't so full of pollution.

From my porch I can't see much outside of the town, the road in front of my house wasn't paved and across from that was my neighbor. Their home was much newer than mine so its two story/basement home was much safer in an emergency. I watched my neighbor across the street look out their second story window, overlooking the center of their driveway where her husband was banging around the hood of his car. Her face contorted with confusion as she tried to overlook his shoulder that was blocking her view. She wasn't a pleasant women, I assumed she was never meant to touch the country life. Facial features like a hawk, her grey eyes would seem like they were judging you at every word. I make it a point to not cross her when im home, whenever that may be. My long hours at the bar kept me from running into any of my neighbors, Many of them just couldn't understand why I would take a city job. After all of the things my grandparents worked for here in Reckford, they assumed me to be a traitor to my legacy.

I checked my wrist watch, it was 4:30 pm. I grabbed out my name tag from my back pocket, something i try not to wear when im home. "Calmina Shue" It said right across the front, along with my manager title. "time for work," I spoke to myself, as I got up from the porch swing and headed over to my Motorcycle.

Ssieth

Sally drew a deep breath and let it out slowly.  She'd been practicing how to breathe well for a week or so now.  Maybe it would help and maybe it wouldn't but she at least it gave her the feeling that she was doing _something_.  Time in Reckford moved painfully slowly at the best of times but with her condition having brought her refusal for the last testing group all there was to do was wait it out until she could find somewhere else to work.  Either that or idle away the summer and move on to College as planned. 

At least she'd got her place.  It wasn't the most prestigious course or the most prestigious College but it was away from here and that had to be good, right?  She just wished she'd been able to get into the factory with Amy and Jo, in the test group.  It would probably have been a blast.  She'd got the letter, though, "Blah blah.. sorry to say.. blah blah... asthma.. blah!".  She'd about come to terms with carrying an inhaler everywhere and being excluded from sporting events.  It wasn't really that bad, sport wasn't her thing anyway - she was a natural geek and she knew it, almost comfortable in the role now.  The letter, though was a kick to the guts, an opportunity to spend her last summer here with her friends gone.  Now everything felt like it was sepia-tinted, an artifact of past decades rather than an exciting future.

The breathing wasn't helping really.  It just replaced one hot lungful of air with another.  Maybe a night on the town would help?  There was no way she could drink here, everyone knew everyone else and fake ID was a laughable proposition.  A trip into the city would mean catching the bus or hitch-hiking but more likely the former.  The trip back would necessitate either cutting things short and catching the last bus, waiting it out until morning somehow, or hitching her way back.  At the moment she was erring towards hitting a club until the early hours and then finding an early diner to caffeinate herself until she could grab the pre-work bus.  She could sleep tomorrow, she certainly didn't have much else to do.

((OOC: Hope that's OK, it's come in quite small sentences but it's kind of how Sally is in my head, maybe a reflection of her short, asthmatic breath))
Posting Status: Hoping for 1-3 per week / game
My ONs and OFFs Page (8th April 2024)
One-on-one ideas (8th April 2024)
Possible Absences (13th November 2023)

My Tampermonkey Script for Elliquiy

PM me here or find me as ssieth on discord.