You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 10:07:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Evangelion RPG - Deciding on a System  (Read 522 times)

Offline GhostwheelTopic starter

Evangelion RPG - Deciding on a System
« on: April 01, 2015, 09:00:57 PM »
Recently having thought about cool settings and the like, I've been wanting to run an online Evangelion game. Here's an easy summary:

The player characters are psychologically unstable teenagers tapped by a secretive paramilitary organization in order to pilot bio-mechanical monstrosities in humanity's last bid for survival.

So with that in mind, I figure we need to have two primary systems in place; first, one for the player characters themselves, and the second one for the robots they pilot. I know that Adeptus Evangelion uses the WH40K system, but I don't think it fits for two reasons. First, it's kind of clunky, and I'd like this to be streamlined enough to be able to use on forum games. Second, WH40K is incredibly deadly and if PCs are dying all over the place, there's not much of a place for continuity or player investment. It fits much better if players slowly devolve into insanity from their minds breaking not only from abuse, but also from feeling the pain that the robot they pilot "experiences".

So for the base system, I figure that the "vanilla mortal" nWoD rules could fit well, as they model a modern human being relatively well. I'm pretty settled on that.

However, I don't know what system to use for piloting the robots and the like. Some things I would like to model:

Synchronicity ratios (how "in tune" you are with your robot). This would affect how well you can pilot and the like. A few thoughts: Perhaps roll a d10 against your sync ratio, and if you roll above it, the robot doesn't listen to you for one "round", either acting randomly or just standing there. This can be increased with proper RP of "feeling" your Evangelion's pain as you empathize with it further.

Insanity. I haven't really found insanity rules that I like, but perhaps the "breaking point" rules from the GMC nWoD rules could be a decent start. Need to think more on it. Has anyone found any decent rules for it? A thought; perhaps you can "exploit" (with a chance of permanently ruining) current relationships with NPCs in order to regain sanity? That seems to dovetail well into the concept of being alone, isolated, and misunderstood, especially as a teenager. Another cool thing might be sacrificing sanity in order to gain a bigger boost from your robot--that is, letting go of your own consciousness to meld deeper with the Evangelion... but you have a chance of losing part of yourself and maybe even turning into tang.

The robots themselves fighting against equivalent BBEG monstrosities. While it should be scary and there should be back-and-forth (especially so that they get damaged, and thus the players can raise their sync ratios by experiencing the pain themselves), I don't want it to be too fatal, for the aforementioned reasons. Furthermore, combat should be fairly streamlined so that it doesn't take months to resolve in a PbP scenario. Perhaps I should create new character-building rules under WoD for the Evangelions? Or is there a better system I can use? I don't particularly want to use WoD for the actual Evangelion fighting as I prefer that aspect of combat to be more tactical and strategic (I don't care as much about the actual characters' fighting), and WoD seems kinda sparse for that without a rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock system where you can counter and out-think your opponent. Need to think more on it.

Since robots are so damn big, there would probably not be squares/hexes, but instead "zones" where you could move from one turn to the next, and only be able to affect things one zone away, and be able to attack or defend against anything in the same zone. Some ranged weaponry would be able to travel between zones, but that's a little iffy and tend to miss. We want combat to be in-your-face so enemies hurt the players, thus giving them the chance to RP feeling hurt and to increase their sync rate.

So, any thoughts on the above? Lots of questions and ideas wandering around the ol' noggin, and any input would be helpful :-)

Offline Ebb

Re: Evangelion RPG - Deciding on a System
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 08:29:23 AM »
I'm not very familiar with the Evangelion setting, but based on your description here you might find the game "Sorcerer" to be a good fit. It's an indie RPG by Ron Edwards, and there are a number of hacks / supplements to adapt it to different settings. The basic game is about mortals who each have command of a demon, which grants them various powers along with the requisite faustian prices. A lot of the game is about the struggle between the mortal and this powerful ally, including the potential of descending into insanity. It's pretty rules-light and could probably function well on a forum.

There's a particular supplement, Charnel Gods, which is specifically about wielding super-powered magical weapons at the end of the world. That might be even easier to adapt.

On the downside it's not freely available, although there might be a quick-play rules summary out there somewhere, and it's not at all concerned about tactical combat. Combat in general ends up pretty abstract.

Offline ReijiTabibito

• Gatecrasher
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • There cannot be another Fall.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:02:19 PM »
I would highly recommend the CthulhuTech system for this.  One specific portion of that setup - the Engels - is directly stated to have been inspired by Evangelion.  Rules for Fear, rules for Insanity...plus the Engels are some pretty kickass pieces of work in terms of fighting ability.  And mental instability is part and parcel of the pilot's lives.  Heck, just the interface you need in order to pilot your one Engel comes with a risk of insanity!

Offline lightnoir

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 07:51:33 AM »
Sorry to intrude, but Black Mesa Janitor somewhat recently released Adept us Evangelion v3. It is its own system and does not rely on Dark Heresy.