You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 26, 2016, 12:58:54 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: New GM questions  (Read 434 times)

Offline AlhannaTopic starter

New GM questions
« on: March 20, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »
I've been toying with an idea in my head for a while. I'd like to see if it can be executed but I'm not sure how to start.

I grew up reading and playing a lot of D&D type games and stories. Very first one was Dragonlance, and the idea that a small band of heroes can succeed where a large army failed has always appealed to me. I've also become a huge fan of the Baldur's Gate and subsequent sequels computer games. I mention this because I want to demonstrate where I come from.

Now, big games will undoubtedly overwhelm me. And since I haven't done this in oh so freaking long.... I'd like to start off small. I was thinking... four, MAYBE five, tops.

But where should I start? Should I do an interest thread first, and then detail what I'm looking for, desire? I want a story-driven game, and the romance/sex can be a "side-effect", but not the core, of the tale.

How does GMing work here, basically?

Thanks for your patience and guidance!

Offline Zeth

Re: New GM questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:32:02 PM »
Well on E you post for a Group game but be sure to list the system you are using, A general plot outline or concept, and how many players you want. Also be prepared to answer questions of potential players. Some times when running a game, the game you actually get is not the same you had in mind when you started. Other then that, communication and hands on experience would be the best teachers.

Offline Ceralilly

• The Goodbye Queen~Behold my Chesire grin|I'm Rafiki23's Babygirl~ Sakky's Evil Twin ~I ❤ Mellific|Elliquiy's resident Ghost~We're all mad here~Where is my TARDIS!
  • Dame
  • Seducer
  • Location: Very sick right now. Catching up ASAP.~GMing with my love
  • ✨I'm not all there myself.✨
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 10:39:53 PM »
Thanks for asking this question! I am going through a similar situation, except I have never even started a game before...but the concept is driving me mad! Lol

Have a good evening!

Online Cassandra LeMay

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 02:42:52 AM »
You might want to take a look at this thread here in the GM corner about what to cover in an interest check post:  You don't have to follow that formula, but it may give you some ideas what to address.

Concerning the actual gameplay of a system game, the dice bot tutorial may come in handy:

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 06:45:00 AM »
GMing works here much the same way it does in a pen and paper game, except a lot slower :)

Start with your intro on the group games wanted thread. For myself, I would generally start with a paragraph or two to set the background and theme of the game before moving on to the more mechanical aspects ... number of players, system / freeform, and any expectations you might have.

Once you have what you feel is sufficient interest, set up an Out Of Character thread in the board most suited to the level you're going to play the game at, where you can discuss things in further detail. I find having a separate thread for characters saves them from getting lost later on. OOC threads tend to get a fair size before long.

Offline AlhannaTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 01:45:49 PM »
All right. Thank you so much, everyone! Your answers have helped.