Katarina Du CouteauStrength:
"The Sinister Blade"
AssassinHome World Information:
Runeterra is the world of the League of Legends. The Institute of War had turned conflicts that might have once cost hundreds or thousands of lives into a competition of sorts that could be settled by the League of Legends. Beings with otherwise questionable abilities and talents were the kind found in their ranks, becoming known as champions. Summoners could call upon these champions to wage war on predetermined battlegrounds in order to settle a dispute of land or wealth. An otherwise peaceful world, Runeterra's technological advances built on magic and crystals were no match for the Reapers that came to destroy it. Appearance/Style Description:
Katarina is curvy and athletic, standing at an average height of 5'5". She has a head of thick crimson hair that has grown long over the years, easily coming down to her butt. Her eyes a bright jade, almost reptilian green, which only adds to the effect of her gaze. Her left eye sports a scar in a straight line down from her forehead to her cheek from an attack that very well might have blinded her.
When it comes to clothing, Katarina loves the classics; namely, tight leather pants and a bare midriff. A tube top (also likely made of leather) keeps the girls indoors while she works, and a small leather jacket finishes off this assassin's look. On her stomach and side, a black tribal looking tattoo can be seen, though it disappears behind clothing in both directions, leaving one to wonder just how far it goes.Personality:
Katarina is one of those
girls. You know, the kind that can probably kick your ass? She is a hard believer in what she does, and she has fun at it. She's not your typical woman with any instinct to have children or nurture in any way, shape, or form. Despite her proper raising, she still has a tendency to be crass and even suggestive. While she enjoys her work, she also takes it very seriously. She's extremely competitive and ambitious, always seeking to elevate her status and that of her house. Her enjoyment borders on what some might qualify as bloodthirsty. As a teammate, she will sooner leap to make a kill than to save another's life.History:
Katarina came from a powerful family. As the daughter of a Noxian general, she had the choice to do or be anything she wanted to. Yet, she picked up her blades and chose to become an assassin. Somewhere between the rush of drawing blood and the thrill of testing her mettle against others, she had found her place in the world. Only when she could no longer be challenged as a soldier in the Noxian army did she join the ranks of the League of Legends.
Here, she was able to pit her skills against the greatest in all of Runeterra as a champion. She grew quite tired of the abounding rumors that grew around her over the years, though. Yes, Garen had been the first to challenge her. Yes, he pushed her to her limit. Yes, she has had plenty of opportunities to kill him since. No, she never had a thing for the boy scout. No, she hasn't not killed him because of this nonexistent... thing. Yes, she did kiss Lux on a dare just to mess with Garen's head.
In truth, Katarina's personal code of honor kept her from ever singling out Garen and killing him and she would never classify him as a rival. In her mind, when one of them was to die to the other, it would be on an open field of combat with both of them armed and facing each other. There were plenty of others who tested her more than Garen, though, as she grew within the League's ranks. Diana was one such opponent, as was Yasuo. Even the Ice Queen held some of Kat's respect.
Akali was an opponent that she loved to see in the arena more than any other, though, given the war their nations had gone into. Yet, as time passed within the League, Katarina learned that it wasn't about their nations anymore, but about the clash of forces within the arena. In time, she had come to respect her as a strong opponent with skills not so different from her own. There might have been a time when she called the ninja 'friend'.
Of her past-times within the League, none was more amusing to Katarina than to hear the outrageous and often silly rumors regarding how she came to have her scar. Not surprisingly, many involved Garen. "Kat got the scar from Garen, duh! She didn't make his **** sandwich correctly. SPIN SPIN SPIN MAKE MY SANDWICH!! Why you think they are always fighting?" "She got it while practicing her bouncing blade. Turns out that her blade was once able to bounce off of her face if no other targets were available." "She 'face-checked' a bush...literally."
This life, full of small pleasures like killing people and scar-jokes, came to a jarring end when the Reapers invaded Runeterra. It wasn't easy to fight against these invaders, even for the League champions, and it wasn't long before they were overrun. Luckily, Katarina had won a transdimensional device gambling in Zaun some years before. It hadn't been her preferred method of being paid, but she had taken it off of some goof that claimed that it could send her anywhere
... or possibly kill her. That he had emphasized the possibility of death is what had sold her on its legitimacy.
When Katarina found herself cornered by some reapers, tired and injured from having fought and run for so long, she decided it was worth the gamble to see if this device functioned or not. The device opened a portal which the assassin decided to brave instead of accepting defeat and dying. When she came through the other side of that portal and realized it hadn't killed her, she found herself in a strange world. A couple of Reapers were able to follow her through, but she was quickly able to dispatch them with what energy she had left.
From there, she would go to explore this new world and what adventures it held for her.Current Situation:
Joining up with GPaW under whatever circumstances allow as an excuse to continue seeking glory and the thrill of combat, as she has found this world terribly lacking a need for people of her trade.Weapons and Items:
Suffice it to say that Katarina is never without a blade... or a fair few of them, at least. Aside from her daggers, she also has plenty of shurikens. Aside from that, there are multiple enchanted items that she has kept with her from the League.
Mercury's Treads - Enhance her movement speed and helps reduce the effect of spells/abilities that inhibit her movement.
Rylai's Crystal + Liandry's Torment - Liandry's torment burns enemies with a DOT effect, which is doubled by Rylai's slowing effect on enemies hit by Kat's abilities.
Nashor's Tooth - A blade of great design with incredible attack speed. It's enchantment also allows her to use her abilities more often.
Hextec Gunblade - This weapon gives Katarina some spell-vamp in her attacks, giving her a little more sustain against her enemies, not to mention the added damage from using it. The spell-vamp is activated by her abilities, giving a portion of health back to her whenever she damages her foes with them. The gunblade also has an active ability that causes some extra damage and slows whomever is hit with it.
Luden's Echo - Aside from being a powerful artifact, this enchants Kat's weapons so that when it is charged and she attacks an opponent, its charged power scatters through nearby enemies for extra damage. It also increases her speed.
Zhonya's Hourglass - An excellent defensive item. This trinket allows for a few seconds of invulnerability in those most dire of situations.Special Powers:
Katarina does not depend on stamina, mana, or any other sort of power pool. She doesn't even depend on a limited number of blades... because, magic.Bouncing Blades
- Katarina can throw her daggers at enemies, which will bounce to several other enemies. Each enemy hit by her blade will be marked. Any enemy she hits (with an ability or regular attack) that is marked will receive bonus damage.Sinister Steel
- Katarina whirls her blades around her, causing damage to nearby enemies caught in the flurry. After using this attack, Katarina gains extra mobility for a short time.Shunpo
- Katarina can teleport a medium distance, or break up these lightning steps into a few short jumps. After teleporting, she gains a temporary boost in her defense for a couple of seconds.Death Lotus
- This is Katarina's most powerful attack. She spins in place like a top and hurls a torrent of blades at multiple foes.
These are special abilities that Katarina will have learned that are not germane to her original training or the League of Legends universe.
- Whatever else anyone might say about Katarina, she is fast and more than adept with her blades. As such, she as able to put out maximum damage in the shortest time span. She is also incredibly flexible and agile, depending on her reflexes to dodge an opponent's attack or block it since she has next to no armor.
- Katarina's attacks are augmented by her items to further increase the damage she deals to an opponent.
- For all of her flaws as a person, Katarina is extremely charming and persuasive... when she's not trying to kill you. It is feasible that she could talk the gold out of Ft Knox. Of course, if the silver tongue ever fails, she can always default to intimidation.Weaknesses:
- Katarina is built for speed. The most armor she wears is bracers and pauldrons. While it keeps her mobility at its maximum potential, it also leaves her quite vulnerable to damage.
- Katarina is incredibly competitive and prideful. While this may not be a big issue outside of combat, it will most certainly show itself in a fight. She will not be very chummy or teamwork oriented on the battlefield, and will overlook a teammate in need to go for another kill. This can lead to friction among her teammates and often gets the enemy's attention focused on her.
- In the same vein of her being competitive, she is incredibly ambitious to further her name and reputation. In the world she comes from, this means kills. The more bad guys she takes down, the more recognition she will receive. Because of this, she will not hesitate to shoulder teammates out of the way to end a fight with her own blade.